PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Enlarge Spell

DracoKnight
2015-09-26, 11:43 PM
So, I was reading the description of the Enlarge/Reduce Spell in the PHB, and I always thought that it made weapons deal double their normal damage dice, and everything in the MM points to this...but, in reality they only deal an extra 1d4 damage...this seems odd. Does it seem odd to anyone else, or am I crazy? I mean, you double in size...shouldn't your weapon? The Duergar doubles its damage dice on Strength-based weapon attacks when Enlarged, shouldn't PCs?

erradin
2015-09-27, 12:38 AM
An interesting point. I like to refer back to 3.5, which calculated using your increased strength score. You should treat weapons as at least a size bigger (step up the damage dice) and then add for an increased strength. At least, that's how it ought to work in theory. But let's examine that.

Let's say you have a weapon that deals 1d6 damage and, due to enlarge, you step up the dice to 1d8. Then, to account for increased strength, you give the target somewhere between +2 and +4 strength.

So 1d6 becomes 1d8 +2.

The average, then, goes from being 3.5~ (1-6 damage) to 7~(3-11 damage. Or, if you only added +2 str, 2-10 for an average of 6)
Now adding the 1d4 instead. You get 3.5~(1-6 damage) going to 6~ (2-10).

So, with nothing more than back of the napkin math, the difference isn't very big at all. I'm not sure damage should be doubled. I think the Duerger gets that because it's naturally good at being twice normal size.

Thoughts?

MaxWilson
2015-09-27, 01:25 AM
So, I was reading the description of the Enlarge/Reduce Spell in the PHB, and I always thought that it made weapons deal double their normal damage dice, and everything in the MM points to this...but, in reality they only deal an extra 1d4 damage...this seems odd. Does it seem odd to anyone else, or am I crazy? I mean, you double in size...shouldn't your weapon? The Duergar doubles its damage dice on Strength-based weapon attacks when Enlarged, shouldn't PCs?

Yes, it should, and in my campaign it is. But that is a house rule.

RAW it is mostly only useful if you want to grapple dragons.

TopCheese
2015-09-27, 01:36 AM
Yes, it should, and in my campaign it is. But that is a house rule.

RAW it is mostly only useful if you want to grapple dragons.

And plug up hallway holes so creatures can't get the squishes.

Twin Spell Enlarged Person is fun.

NewbieDMaster
2015-09-27, 04:14 AM

You are correct, a naturally larger weapon deals double damage dice. But specific beats general, and the spell specifically states what it does to the weapon's damage (adds 1d4). While it doesn't fit the norm, I'm sure it was included because otherwise the spell is too strong.
If you really want to double the damage dice for your weapon while enlarged, then have someone in the group carry a naturally large version of your weapon and just pick that one up after you are enlarged. Your new size would let you use it...