PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Ideas on Bloodborne weapons for Pathfinder?

5w337x7007h
2015-09-27, 02:37 AM
I've watched a Lets Play of Bloodborne, because I don't have a PS4 to play it sadly, but I really liked the ideas they had with trick weapons and I was wondering if there was a way to transfer the weapon ideas to Pathfinder and which classes would be best to use these weapons?

I'm looking to make a build that would utilize the threaded cane, which is effectively a sword cane that becomes a bladed whip on command.

TheCrowing1432
2015-09-27, 02:59 AM
There are already some weapons like that, the spikard

https://sites.google.com/site/eberronpathfinder/conversion-info/equipment-and-services/weapons

the expansion Cityscape has weapon stats for a swordcane.

To use your idea, id say its an exotic weapon, the cane form uses the stats for a club, while the whip uses the stats for a dagger whip.

Its a free action to switch between the modes and a spot check to recognize it as a transforming weapon.

5w337x7007h
2015-09-27, 05:09 AM
Found it! The Ribbonweave Staff and I'm confused.

Ribbonweave Staff:
A favored among changelings and other masters of deception, the ribbonweave staff looks like a normal walking cane, similar to a sword cane. While 'sheathed', a Perception check, DC 20, is needed to notice it. When the wielder is about to release it, the DC drops to 10. The handle and the base of the cane are actually attached by a length of sharpened chain links, making the weapon good of slashing or strangling.

It doesn't state that it's got reach, like a whip, though, which is sad. Though aesthetically it's amazing.
How about we alter it just a bit? A sword cane with a special function allowing it to turn into a whip long length of cord with razor sharp segments, like Ivy's snake sword in Soul Calibur. The secondary form gives it 10ft reach like a whip.

Maybe a Magus who specializes in this beautiful piece of work? Something so elaborately designed because of his/her upbringing as a member of a specific guard in Cheliax that follow Azmodeus, or Zon-Kuthon?

MyrPsychologist
2015-09-27, 05:33 AM
What exactly would be the point of a changing weapon? About the only really practical idea I can have for it would be to give builds focused around threatening as many squares as possible more options. But that's kind of janky and seems unnecessary.

5w337x7007h
2015-09-27, 05:38 AM
It was a more aesthetic idea, but I'm guessing it's not that functional. Maybe just give the Ribbonweave Staff the benefit of Trip? Considering it's an exotic variation of the sword cane, there's got to be more to it than wielding it like a whip.

Holy crap, ribbon weave chains look amazing! It's basically any metal chain with a ribbon weaved through it. As a weapon, the ribbon would provide better control than if you were to use the chain without it.

SkipSandwich
2015-09-27, 08:15 PM
The way to make transforming weapons useful would be for each form of the weapon to fill a different 'niche', as well as give a benefit for switching between forms.

For the Threaded cane, one would obviously think to use the stats of a whip and have that form's niche be tripping/disarming with that 15ft reach, however, I would change it up and make the whip form behave as the Flying Blade (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/flying-blade), -2 penalty to normal attacks but +2 bonus on Attacks of opportunity, then lower the damage to 1d4 and add in the bonuses to Trip and Disarm (keep reach at 10ft) and you have a very clearly defined niche of " Defensive Battlefield Control" for the whip form.

Then, for the cane form, use the stats for a light mace with either the Trip or Grapple qualities (say it has a hooked handle), nothing fancy but there for when you need to go on the offensive. To encourage switching often, I would say that the weapon gains a +2 bonus on bluff checks made to feint in combat when you switch forms immediately prior to making the bluff check. Changing forms is a swift action.

5w337x7007h
2015-09-28, 09:31 AM
How about this?

Threaded Cane: Exotic
Cost: 100g
Damage (m): 1d6
Critical: 19-20/x2
Range: ----
Weight: 6 lb.
Type: P or S
Special: See Text

Text:
The Threaded Cane is considered a Trick Weapon, which has two forms.

The first form acts as a sword cane. You can draw the blade from the cane as a swift action (or a free action if you have the Quick Draw feat). An observer must make a DC 20 Perception check to realize an undrawn sword cane is a weapon rather than a walking stick; the DC decreases to 10 if the observer is able to handle the weapon.

The second form acts as a segmented whip. This form is treated as a melee weapon with 15-foot reach, though you don't threaten the area into which you can make an attack. In addition, unlike most other weapons with reach, you can use it against foes anywhere within your reach (including adjacent foes). Using a Threaded Cane in this way provokes an attack of opportunity, just as if you had used a ranged weapon.

You can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier to attack rolls with a Threaded Cane sized for you, even though it isn't a light weapon.

Any feats, such as whip mastery, improved, and greater, apply to this weapon, only in it's second form.