PDA

View Full Version : Character theory.....

Masakan
2015-09-27, 03:45 AM
Simply put i had another idea for a character concept.
How well would a ToB Crusader8/Vassel of Bahamut10 work out?
Sounds good on paper but personally I think it's kind of lacking.
Then theres also, Paladin6/Crusader 2/Fist of Raziel10
Much more loaded but would require a lot of work to pull off
And both of these would Use the dragonborn of Bahamut Template, You should be able to see where im going with this.

So could this work or are there too many holes?

ExLibrisMortis
2015-09-27, 06:36 AM
Vassal of Bahamut is really only useful against evil dragons. It doesn't advance initiating, but as long as you go crusader 7/VoB 10/crusader +1, you'll at least get one 9th-level maneuver (assuming VoB levels count as full initiator levels). Note that crusader 8 does not provide a new maneuver known, you have to trade one in.

Fist of Raziel is similarly only really useful against evil opponents. Unless you houserule 'smites/day' to 'smites/encounter', the super smite benefits aren't too great either (after all, you can't really smite all the time, and 2d6 damage isn't that big), and advancing paladin casting is a bit of a waste, too (a one-level dip in cleric gets you so much more than paladin 6). If you want a build like that, try crusader 1/cleric 4/prestige paladin 2/ordained champion 5. That costs you lots of caster levels, four in fact, but you still end up with cleric 14 casting at 18th level, which is far better than paladin 15 casting.

Note that you could argue that Smite Evil works with maneuvers (the Ordained Champion's smite certainly works), depending on how you read "to smite evil with one normal melee attack" and "As part of this maneuver, you make a single melee attack". That doesn't make Smite Evil particularly good, but it's something.

Both of your ideas are probably worse than a straight crusader, except against their specific favoured enemy. In a specific campaign, they will be quite useful in combat.

Kelb_Panthera
2015-09-27, 06:55 AM
Vassal of Bahamut has one really stiff entry requirement to consider. You have to -single-handedly- slay a juvenile or older red dragon. Those are CR 11 or higher. If you're up to it, go for it. It'll be worth it for that battle alone.

That said, if you're not going to be fighting dragons fairly often then FoR is the better choice.

Don't let people get you down on paladin casting. Of course cleric casting is better but there are some real gems in the paladin list and magic looks like a secondary concern for you anyway. Battle blessing is a must, though. You don't want maneuvers and spells competing for actions.

Masakan
2015-09-27, 07:04 AM
Vassal of Bahamut has one really stiff entry requirement to consider. You have to -single-handedly- slay a juvenile or older red dragon. Those are CR 11 or higher. If you're up to it, go for it. It'll be worth it for that battle alone.

That said, if you're not going to be fighting dragons fairly often then FoR is the better choice.

Don't let people get you down on paladin casting. Of course cleric casting is better but there are some real gems in the paladin list and magic looks like a secondary concern for you anyway. Battle blessing is a must, though. You don't want maneuvers and spells competing for actions.

More or less, the more I look on the forums the more obvious it becomes "The more innate magic, the better"
But basically This guy would have the mindset of a marine, he would be the first to the front line and the last one to leave, soaking up all the damage and taking aggro, Diverting as much attention towards him as possible while still doing a decent amount in his own right.
.....actually I know that ruby knight vindicator would be an easy fix for this, but the problem is that wee jas requirement.
How on earth can i justify being a follower of wee jas as a dragonborn of bahamut?

The Insanity
2015-09-27, 07:06 AM
Of course cleric casting is better but there are some real gems in the paladin list
That's what Prestige Paladin is for.

Kelb_Panthera
2015-09-27, 07:16 AM
More or less, the more I look on the forums the more obvious it becomes "The more innate magic, the better"

That's because it'a true. More magic -is- inherently better in this system but "some" can be adequate.

But basically This guy would have the mindset of a marine, he would be the first to the front line and the last one to leave, soaking up all the damage and taking aggro, Diverting as much attention towards him as possible while still doing a decent amount in his own right.

That's certainly one way to run a paladin.

.....actually I know that ruby knight vindicator would be an easy fix for this, but the problem is that wee jas requirement.
How on earth can i justify being a follower of wee jas as a dragonborn of bahamut?

You don't actually have to be a follower of bahamut to be dragonborn, just thoroughly devoted to the fight against evil dragons. As long as you don't let your duties to The Stern Lady slack while you're dragon hunting, there's not necessarily a conflict here.

Vhaidara
2015-09-27, 08:45 AM
Also, refluffing is a thing. Why not have Platinum Knight Vindicators, holy warriors of bahamut who don't embarrass him in public (like paladins).