PDA

View Full Version : Does such spells\powers exist ?

NevinPL
2015-09-27, 06:01 AM
something doing the reverse of Fabricate - breaking items into their base ingredients,
something that will let me "tag" someone\something (no, not Arcane Mark), and detect it even from miles away. Preferably arcane, and just a general direction, distance.

?

thethird
2015-09-27, 06:05 AM
something doing the reverse of Fabricate - breaking items into their base ingredients,
something that will let me "tag" someone\something (no, not Arcane Mark), and detect it even from miles away. Preferably just a general direction, distance.

?

For the first, not that I'm aware. For the second dragoneye rune, from dragon magic (2n level wiz/sorc universal spell) does that.

Kelb_Panthera
2015-09-27, 07:08 AM
something that will let me "tag" someone\something (no, not Arcane Mark), and detect it even from miles away. Preferably just a general direction, distance.

?

Nothing comes immediately to mind for the former but the latter is status to a T.

NevinPL
2015-09-27, 07:18 AM
For the first, not that I'm aware. For the second dragoneye rune, from dragon magic (2n level wiz/sorc universal spell) does that.
Nice. Thank you.

Nothing comes immediately to mind for the former but the latter is status to a T.
Yeah, but I forgot to mention - preferably arcane.

Kelb_Panthera
2015-09-27, 08:54 AM
Yeah, but I forgot to mention - preferably arcane.

Arcane disciple (fate)

ericgrau
2015-09-27, 09:18 AM
something that will let me "tag" someone\something (no, not Arcane Mark), and detect it even from miles away. Preferably arcane, and just a general direction, distance.

?

For the second there is Instant Summons (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/instantSummons.htm). 1,000 gp an item. If the item is unattended, it returns to you. If it is attended, you get the general location of the creature holding it. By the way, part of the spell is to tag the item with arcane mark :smalltongue:.

Discern Location (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/discernLocation.htm) lets you find any object you have touched with unlimited range. Only mind blank or a deity blocks it, and objects can't be mind blanked.

NevinPL
2015-09-29, 05:39 AM
Arcane disciple (fate)
Too "convoluted" for what I have in mind, but thank you for reminding me about how arcane spellcaster can get divine spells.

...Instant Summons...
Level too high, and not really what I need.

...Discern Location...
Ditto, but thank you for trying.

Looks like Dragoneye rune it is.

Kelb_Panthera
2015-09-29, 06:18 PM
Too "convoluted" for what I have in mind, but thank you for reminding me about how arcane spellcaster can get divine spells.

Are ya sure? Fate has some real doozies. I suppose if you're already too tight on feats, but seriously give it a once over. Also remember that they're not divine spells unless they're cast by a divine spellcaster. The domain spells cast by a sorc/wiz with arcane disciple are arcane for any interactions that check a spell's source.

NevinPL
2015-10-01, 08:05 AM
Are ya sure? Fate has some real doozies.
Yes it does, it just doesn't sit right with me. I'm not a minmaxer, powergamer, munchkin\whatever, that will do anything to have that one spell, attack\ whatever more.

I suppose if you're already too tight on feats, but seriously give it a once over.
Since I use something similar to the DMG training for feats, I have more than normal, so no.
And I probably will (that's why I thanked you for reminding me), but not now.

Also remember that they're not divine spells unless they're cast by a divine spellcaster. The domain spells cast by a sorc/wiz with arcane disciple are arcane for any interactions that check a spell's source.
Nonetheless they use WIS for all the important bits, which is a major drawback for standard arcane spellcaster. Not to mention the "max one per day" limitation.

DrMartin
2015-10-01, 01:36 PM
for the second one, if you are open minded towards alignment issues, how about necrotic cyst + necrotic scrying? both are second level spells, and you cannot beat an undead tumor as a friendly way of tagging people :smallbiggrin:

for the first one - wouldn't fabricate itself do the job? the definition of material and products is quite generic if i remember correctly,and as long as something that could be pictured as reversible reactions are involved, i would allow it, with an appropriate craft check at least.

(Of course if you go by the very strict raw reading of the spell that allows you to only work with one material at a time, and obtain something made from exactly the same material - so if you wanted to make an arrow you would have to manifest fabricate at least three or four times, for the shaft, the arrowtip, the fletchling, the bindings and so on... - then this obviously does not work)

Seginus
2015-10-01, 02:49 PM

If you use 3rd party material I have a spell in my upcoming Path of Iron book that does this, called unmake. You can read a preview of it here (http://www.ascension-games.com/blog/2015/9/25/preview-abcs-of-magic-part-7).

Snowbluff
2015-10-01, 04:16 PM
[LIST]

Fabricate "I make a crate of base materials"

Psyren
2015-10-01, 04:31 PM
I'm with Snowbluff on this one, Fabricate itself should let you reverse-engineer a finished thing into an equivalent mass of ingredients.

NevinPL
2015-10-02, 04:50 AM
[...]
Necrotic cyst as a parting surprise "gift" is in plans, but for some other time.
Fabricate as Unfabricate is a thought.
Yes, I prefer the "...convert material of one sort into a product that is of the same material." option. Less abuse, more "roleplay".

[...]
Use 3rd party material ?!
With all the house ruling and home brewing I sometimes forget what's vanilla DnD :)

[...]
"make a crate of base materials" != breaking items into their base ingredients.
But yeah, I understand what you're trying to say.

[...]
I think you should be with DrMartin instead, because what Snowbluff wrote sounds more like Prefabricate, or something.

Psyren
2015-10-02, 09:05 AM
I think you should be with DrMartin instead, because what Snowbluff wrote sounds more like Prefabricate, or something.

Assuming I'm reading correctly, Snowbluff is saying "I have a spear with a wooden haft, leather grip and adamantine point. I use fabricate to on it to get a small pile of wood, a coil of leather and an adamantine ingot, all fitting within a 10 cu. ft. square." You can then use some or all of these materials in a separate casting to make something else. This would be "reverse engineering."