PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Favored Class Like WOAH!

Amechra
2015-09-27, 06:13 AM
Alright, let's take a bog-standard Human. Nothin' special. We'll be starting at 1st level, because why not?

Let's call our Human Wendy. Now, Wendy stole a dude's girlfriend when they were both teenagers, so that dude has sworn ETERNAL VENGEANCE on her. But other than that, Wendy spent her time being a Wizard. It was pretty great.

Taking that into account, we pick Wizard as Wendy's Favored Class. For her two starting feats, we pick Fast Learner (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/racial-feats/fast-learner-human) and Nemesis (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/story-feats/nemesis-story).

Fast Learner and Nemesis have stupid levels of synergy. Why? Nemesis lets you pick two Favored Class benefits, but one of those has to be +1 HP or +1 skill point. Fast Learner turns that into +1 HP and +1 skill point.

As an end result, Wendy can have up to +2 HP and +2 skill points per level she has in Wizard.

Oh, and if Wendy ever kills Nate, she gets a +2 Inherent bonus to an ability score of her choice. I suggest Intelligence.

All I want to mention is that this is one of the best examples of synergy I've seen in a while. Both Nemesis and Fast Learner are roughly equivalent to Toughness and Open Minded when it comes to single class characters, so the fact that taking both is effectively equal to having both Open Minded AND Toughness AND a second copy of one of the previous feats is just lovely.

Plus, the combo stacks with Open Minded and Toughness; so if you really need that +3 HP per HD...

Nikolaz72
2015-09-27, 07:53 AM
It does require the DM approve it though. Overall this more seems like something the DM would grant to a player as a boon in return for the hindrance that is someone trying to kill them and goes specifically for them all the time.

legomaster00156
2015-09-27, 08:50 AM
You could alternatively have +1 HP, +1 skill point, and +1 racial favored class bonus. Yes, the synergy is great, but these two feats are, well, no more powerful than having Open Minded and Toughness (at least until you finish the quest in Nemesis). Furthermore, you have to keep in mind that you now have an NPC who will always qualify as a reasonable challenge actively working to counter everything you do.

Ssalarn
2015-09-28, 06:18 PM
Alright, let's take a bog-standard Human. Nothin' special. We'll be starting at 1st level, because why not?

Let's call our Human Wendy. Now, Wendy stole a dude's girlfriend when they were both teenagers, so that dude has sworn ETERNAL VENGEANCE on her. But other than that, Wendy spent her time being a Wizard. It was pretty great.

Taking that into account, we pick Wizard as Wendy's Favored Class. For her two starting feats, we pick Fast Learner (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/racial-feats/fast-learner-human) and Nemesis (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/story-feats/nemesis-story).

Fast Learner and Nemesis have stupid levels of synergy. Why? Nemesis lets you pick two Favored Class benefits, but one of those has to be +1 HP or +1 skill point. Fast Learner turns that into +1 HP and +1 skill point.

As an end result, Wendy can have up to +2 HP and +2 skill points per level she has in Wizard.

Oh, and if Wendy ever kills Nate, she gets a +2 Inherent bonus to an ability score of her choice. I suggest Intelligence.

All I want to mention is that this is one of the best examples of synergy I've seen in a while. Both Nemesis and Fast Learner are roughly equivalent to Toughness and Open Minded when it comes to single class characters, so the fact that taking both is effectively equal to having both Open Minded AND Toughness AND a second copy of one of the previous feats is just lovely.

Plus, the combo stacks with Open Minded and Toughness; so if you really need that +3 HP per HD...

Fairly certain it wouldn't work that way. Fast Learner changes it so that you get either +1 Hit Point and +1 Skill Point, or an alternate class reward. Nemesis allows you to choose two benefits instead of one. Best case scenario, you can now pick (+1 Hit Point & +1 Skill Point) and a racial FCB, worst case scenario, there is no benefit from Nemesis beyond the potential stat bump because you no longer have the option to pick "either a bonus hit point or a bonus skill point". I'd be inclined to go with the +1 hit point, +1 skill point, and FCB interpretation, which is still really good.