PDA

View Full Version : Ways to Achieve Spell Storing Effects

g3taso
2015-09-27, 08:46 AM
I'm casting about for various ways to "bank" spell effects so that my characters or others can use them later. What I have so far is:
1. Spell Storing as a melee weapon quality, due to straight-up making of magic weapons or due to Weapon Augmentation (Lesser) from Artificer infusion. I like this with Combust!
2. Spell Storing Item (the infusion), again from the Artificer
3. Rings of Spell Storing
4. Glyph Seals or Glyphs of Warding
5. Contingency

Am I missing any? What do they do?

Bakkan
2015-09-27, 08:59 AM
The Ordained Champion's Channel Spell ability lets you store a spell effect in a weapon for up to 8 hours.

Along a similar theme, how about wands, perhaps in wand chambers? If they're of swift action spells you can still cast the spell and attack in one round.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-09-27, 09:24 AM
The Delicate Disc spell from LEoF.
Unbound Scroll (Dragonmarked) can get scroll creation costs down by 100%, making them free. Also gets a certain number of free copies of low levels scrolls per day.
There's a special stone that can store spells, but i forgot the book, though i'm fairly sure it's FR. Underdark maybe?
Spell Haven (Dragonmarked) is essentially a second contingency.
Runecaster (PGtF) can craft unspent spells into runes. It costs XP and gold as scrolls do, but scribing a rune only takes 10 minutes which makes it notable. Get enough cost reducers and you can easily store any uncast spells at the end of the day.

Troacctid
2015-09-27, 11:50 AM
For weapon properties, there's also Bloodstone and Power Storing.

Curmudgeon
2015-09-27, 12:59 PM
Unbound Scroll (Dragonmarked) can get scroll creation costs down by 100%, making them free.
How is that? The cost reduction is only 5% per level of that 5-level PrC.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-09-27, 01:42 PM
How is that? The cost reduction is only 5% per level of that 5-level PrC.

Unbound Scroll 5, the Magical, Legendary & Extraordinary Artisan feats and 6 levels of Legacy Champion is the easiest way. The class description of Unbound Scroll (Master Scribe) sets the precedent that cost reducers stack additively.
Or replace the Magical Artisan feat (it's from FR) with Apprentice(Craftsmen)(DMG2), Affiliation with various guilds (PHB2) or Favored in Guild (S:CoT & DMG2) and take 10 levels of Legacy Champion instead.

Mix and match if you want the 100% reduction as early as possible or reduce the needed LC levels.

Curmudgeon
2015-09-27, 02:08 PM
Unbound Scroll 5, the Magical, Legendary & Extraordinary Artisan feats and 6 levels of Legacy Champion is the easiest way. The class description of Unbound Scroll (Master Scribe) sets the precedent that cost reducers stack additively.
That's not what it says.
These bonuses stack with those of Legendary Artisan and Extraordinary Artisan, so that a 5th-level unbound scroll with the Legendary Artisan feat reduces the XP cost of scroll creation by 50%.
Those specific cost reducers stack. Legacy Champion's cost reduction is limited to the rituals for awakening the powers of their Legacy item.

Ruethgar
2015-09-27, 02:41 PM
That's not what it says.
Those specific cost reducers stack. Legacy Champion's cost reduction is limited to the rituals for awakening the powers of their Legacy item.

Except Legacy Champion and Uncanny Trickster can both advance the Unbound Scroll class features as well as Bloodlines so you can have a total effective level of 18 for Unbound Scroll for a massive -90% cost before you add the explicitly stacking feats.

Darrin
2015-09-27, 03:19 PM
Spellstaff (PHB, Druid 6)
Chardalyn (Silver Marches Web Enhancement p. 3 and Lords of Darkness p. 181)

Ruethgar
2015-09-27, 03:29 PM
As to the OP, it is highly situational, but Druid Grove lets you store spells in trees like scrolls.

Edit: Also a Wizard of the Sun and Moon doubles his spells per 24hr. Half of them are dormant until night which is sort of like storing spells.

Thurbane
2015-09-27, 04:39 PM
Has anyone mentioned the Smiting Spell feat from PHB2?

Rubik
2015-09-27, 10:56 PM
Wands (DMG)
Scrolls (DMG)
Dorjes (XPH)
Power stones (XPH)
Magical traps (DMG)
Craft Contingent Spell (CArc)
Ocular Spell (LoM)
Contingency (PHB)
Permanency (PHB)
Persistent Spell (CArc)
Extend Spell (PHB) [for 10 min/lvl or greater spells]
Incarnate (XPH)
Soul Crystal (MoI)
Quintessence (XPH) [For physical spell effects]

Does a timeless demiplane in regards to magical effects count?

Bronk
2015-09-28, 07:14 AM
Also:

Potions (PHB/DMG)
Staffs (PHB/DMG)
Skull Talismans (Frostburn)
Strings of Spell Storing (Complete Adventurer)

Edit: Oh, plus, spell traps, spell turrets, spell clocks, and technically you could use an Iron Flask to trap a living spell, as well.