PDA

View Full Version : Making Spells Instantaneous

g3taso
2015-09-27, 08:54 AM
I've been thinking of some awesome things I could do if I could make some spell durations instantaneous. I've been looking at a feat or two also, but it is tough. Anyone have some ways to do this?

Studoku
2015-09-27, 08:57 AM
Can you give some examples? Surely if a spell has a duration, making it instantaneous would make it do literally nothing?

g3taso
2015-09-27, 09:47 AM
How about baleful polymorph? enervation?

Studoku
2015-09-28, 08:15 AM
Ennervation inflicts negative levels and is more similar to a damaging spell than a debuff.

Baleful Polymorph isn't instant- it's permanent. If you want to make spells permanent, the Permanency spell is probably what you're looking for.

BowStreetRunner
2015-09-28, 08:54 AM
I see where you are going with this. From Dispel Magic: "The effect of a spell with an instantaneous duration can’t be dispelled". So instead of a permanent spell that can still be dispelled you would want to make it an instantaneous effect that would need something like a Break Enchantment, which can reverse instantaneous effects.

While I see the reason you would want to do this, I know of no way to make it happen short of researching a higher-level version of the spell that is instantaneous rather than permanent.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-09-28, 11:09 AM
Not exactly what you're asking for, but the effect is about the same:
Dweomerkeeper's Supernatural Spell turns a spell into a supernatural ability. Supernatural abilities can still be suppressed in an AMF, but they can't be dispelled.
Our theoretical Baleful Polymorph victim would have to live under AMF for the rest of his life with the only chance of redemption being the intervention of a deity.

Cruiser1
2015-09-28, 02:40 PM
Dweomerkeeper's Supernatural Spell turns a spell into a supernatural ability. Supernatural abilities can still be suppressed in an AMF, but they can't be dispelled. Our theoretical Baleful Polymorph victim would have to live under AMF for the rest of his life with the only chance of redemption being the intervention of a deity.
A (Su) Baleful Polymorph is still a transmutation, and therefore can be removed by casting Break Enchantment. That's similar to how Break Enchantment can free one from being petrified by a Medusa, whose gaze is also a (Su) transmutation.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-09-28, 03:17 PM
A (Su) Baleful Polymorph is still a transmutation, and therefore can be removed by casting Break Enchantment. That's similar to how Break Enchantment can free one from being petrified by a Medusa, whose gaze is also a (Su) transmutation.

Heighten it to 6th level then. Problem solved. Or increase your CL to 36 or above, since Break Enchantment can't get a check higher than 35 even on a 20.
Wish/Miracle will always be able to remove the effect, but casters with access to 9th level spells aren't exactly common.