PDA

View Full Version : V's gender and the other characters of OOTS

kpenguin
2007-05-18, 01:23 AM
What do you think other OOTS characters think V's gender is?

Setra
2007-05-18, 01:28 AM
No! Bad! Bad Topic Creator!

Also, I'm fairly sure Haley and Roy, at least, think V is male.

SamDerringer
2007-05-18, 01:40 AM
Haley probably is the only one in the Order (besides V) who actually knows Vīs gender. As for the others, I think they simply donīt have a clue. I personally like to believe Vīs a dude.

Rincewind
2007-05-18, 02:52 AM
V is a dude. A man. A schlong wielder. A penar master. A guy. A bum. A hobo. A beloved husband and a great father. :smallcool:

Tolkien_Freak
2007-05-18, 06:19 AM
V is a dude. A man. A schlong wielder. A penar master. A guy. A bum. A hobo. A beloved husband and a great father. :smallcool:

Yup.

Finally, an ORIGINAL V's Gender topic!

I think everyone pretty much knows he's male, (maybe with the exception of Belkar).

Spiryt
2007-05-18, 06:42 AM
Although i also always have a feeling that V is a dude ( name is quite male don't you think?), his/her/its relation with Haley ( shared rooms, fashion debates, personall life discussions ( V's MARRIED, Haley gemstones) show that V is chick. Or completly androgenic organism ( at least mentaly):smallconfused:

ref
2007-05-18, 07:27 AM
Someone call Grissom & Co. and have them swab her mouth. Only way to know.:smallbiggrin: (btw, am I the only one that thinks "smallbiggrin" is an oxymoron?)

Setra
2007-05-18, 07:35 AM
Although i also always have a feeling that V is a dude ( name is quite male don't you think?), his/her/its relation with Haley ( shared rooms, fashion debates, personall life discussions ( V's MARRIED, Haley gemstones) show that V is chick. Or completly androgenic organism ( at least mentaly):smallconfused:
I dunno, the way V addresses' Haley always sounded like a Male.

Miss Starshine.. if V were female, and Haley knew it, wouldn't they be on a first name basis or something?

Then again Miss Starshine is longer than Haley, so there's that.

PaladinFreak
2007-05-18, 07:45 AM
I have always seen V as female. I think that this topic has, in general, been beaten completely to death. I will repeat the old arguments.

Male: Likes blowing things up, is very erudite (though I'm not sure how this is a specifically male characteristic), and, doesn't appear very feminine.

Female: Rooms with Haley, even though Haley obviously has no romantic attraction and V is married, wears a tiara (once again, I'm not sure how this a specifically female characteristic), and, doesn't appear very masculine.

kpenguin
2007-05-18, 08:17 AM
Goddamnit, stop debating over what V's gender is, people. Back to the topic at hand, I think that Haley's comfort with V could mean she thinks (s)he is female, but I'm not sure. Belkar would normally see V as not being either gender, but leans towardshim/her being female as well. Maybe.

Spiryt
2007-05-18, 08:32 AM
Male: Likes blowing things upi

Also certainly not specifically male characteristic, don't even have to search outside the comic : check Sabine and Samantha )

Talitha
2007-05-18, 08:54 AM
I dunno, the way V addresses' Haley always sounded like a Male.

Miss Starshine.. if V were female, and Haley knew it, wouldn't they be on a first name basis or something?

How on earth does that follow???

Spiryt
2007-05-18, 09:05 AM
OK, back in the topic, Durkon appears to treat V as dude.
However he is treating almost everyone more or less like male ( iths tha dwarven way).

Kelyss
2007-05-18, 11:12 AM
Varsuvious is and always has been a chick. she shares a room with haley and she is married(there for she cant be going out with haley ar anything like that.) then their is the fact that in one of the early comics her and haley shared a room and they were talking about the orbs. if you dont remember what i am talking about, i suggest that you read the whole thing again. that comic proves that V is a girl, just with smaller breasts.

Spiryt
2007-05-18, 11:26 AM
Varsuvious is and always has been a chick. she shares a room with haley and she is married(there for she cant be going out with haley ar anything like that.) then their is the fact that in one of the early comics her and haley shared a room and they were talking about the orbs. if you dont remember what i am talking about, i suggest that you read the whole thing again. that comic proves that V is a girl, just with smaller breasts.
This is a joke i hope?
:biggrin:

esmerelder
2007-05-18, 11:43 AM
This is an interesting question - there's what *I* think (that it's completely impossible to tell on the evidence we've been given, but that it just makes more sense for a female elf to insist on public androgyny than for a male), but trying to decide what the characters themselves think is more complex and interesting.

Roy - Clearly thinks V is a male; calling hir 'V-Man', etc. Although Roy, being fair-minded to a fault, makes an effort to treat Haley the same as the rest of the group, you can see that there is an effort being made (as in the scene where he worries about being slapped with a sexual harrassment suit), whereas he acts slightly more naturally around V.

Durkon - Tends to treat V fairly neutrally, perhaps tending towards male (incidentally, does anyone remember if he's ever called hir 'lad'?), but gender doesn't seem to be as big a deal for him, as a dwarf.

Elan - Hard to tell. The fact that he looks up to V and wanted to be 'just like' hir when dressing up in wizard clothes suggests that he was also trying to shoehorn V into the 'big brother' or 'surrogate father' role that Roy would never quite accept. However, Elan is probably open-minded and humble enough to not have a problem with emulating a female role model if he thinks that V is female.

Haley - Also hard to tell, especially since she probably knows, but isn't telling. The rooming together is a strong hint but, as people have pointed out many times before, not decisive. (I have an amusing mental image of Haley and a male V conspiring together to throw up a gender smokescreen in order to share a room so as not to deal with Durkon's snoring, Roy's bossiness, Elan's getting up five times a night to demand the bathroom/a glass of water/a bedtime story and Belkar's, well, Belkar-ness...)

Belkar - Seems as confused as we are. I think the kiss could tentatively prove one of two things:

1) That V is female, and Belkar was so drunk that his halfling instincts completely took over and he was able to sense V's gender and act on it accordingly, but not remember it in the morning

or

2) That V is male, and Belkar was so drunk that the latent bi/homosexuality that he's been covering with all those tales of lechery and whores completely took over and he acted on it accordingly, but couldn't remember it in the morning,

And it definitely proves a third thing: 3) Never play the New-Year's-count-down drinking game with a dwarf!

Spiryt
2007-05-18, 01:00 PM
Belkar drunk ten mugs of beer. I think they were surely about 0,5l (0,5 kg) of beer in each. Even though he slop a lot ( 0,2 ) of this 10 x 0,5 = 5 - 20%= 4 kg. So he drunk almost 1/3 of his weight of beer.

That litlle digression shows that he was really drunk. He could do this just beacuse he likes do crazy things ( he likes you must agree), and he has absolute no self control at the moment. Maybe he want to show friendship ( i mean maybe beer worked just like owl's wisdom?).
Anyway episoe with V as a lizard and constant calling him/her and " androgynous" shows that Belkar indeed have no clue what gender V is. And he try to reveal the truth occasionaly.