PDA

View Full Version : [Prc] The Trench Digger

JackMage666
2007-05-18, 02:14 AM
Trench Digger
When a city or nation goes to warfare, the perfect place for archers and scouts to hide is in the trenches. However, these trenches don't just appear. Before any combat begins, an intelligent army sends out sever Trench Diggers to clear a way for their soldiers. These special task scouts simply go out and dig at strategic points for their employers, making small dips were archers and soldiers can safely hide from enemies. However, venturing into enemy ground is rough, so every Trench Digger is skilled at a special weapon called a Warshovel. These items allow them to switch from digging to fighting at an alarming rate, making them competent fighters as well. After a skirmish, the Trench Diggers are called once again to bury any fallen soldiers.

Not all Trench Diggers are military, though. Some are free-lance, working for whoever pays the best. Others are farmers, using thier digging skills to make irrigation ditches to water their plants. Some are murderers, killing people with an unusual weapon, then burying the body before anyone notices. It seems that there are only two things uniting a Trench Digger with another - Their Warshovels and their desire to dig.

Pre-requsites -
Base Attack Bonus - +5
Feats - Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Warshovel), Weapon Focus (Warshovel)
Special - Must have used a Warshovel in 5 combats, as well as worked digging trenches for fortifications for at least one week cumulitive time.

HD - d8

Skills - 2+Int - Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Profesion (Wis), Search (Int), Survival (Wis), Tumble (Dex), and Use Rope (Dex)

Trench Digger
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Digging

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Shovel Fighting, Weapon Specialization

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Healthy Digger

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Shovel Versatility, Greater Weapon Focus

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Endless Dig[/table]

Proficiencys - A Trench Digger gains no new proficiencys

Digging (Ex) - The most important ability for a Trench Digger to have is the ability to dig, and they can do it fast than most. Beginning at 1st level, they effectively gain a Burrow speed equal to 1 ft/level, but this burrow speed is only possible if they are using their Warshovel to dig. A Trench Digger can dig 10 ft/level per day, and become fatigued if they dig any more than that.

Shovel Fighting (Ex) - At 2nd level, a Trench Digger gets quite used to a Warshovel as a tool and as a weapon, and they can move one faster than most can move a sword. If a Trench Digger uses a full-attack action, he may make an additional attack at his highest base attack bonus. However, this attack, and all other attacks in the round, take a -2 penalty. As well, the Trench Digger cannot switch damage types while using this ability, as he must attack quickly and not change style.

Weapon Specialization - At 2th level, a Trench Digger gains Weapon Specialization (Warshovel) as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the pre-requisities.

Healthy Digger (Ex) - At 3rd level, a Trench Digger is used to digging in putrid water up to his ankles, as well as other harmful conditions. He becomes immune to all natural diseases.

Shovel Versatility (Ex) - At 4th level, a Trench Digger's greatest asset as a tool and a weapon is his Warshovel. When using his Shovel Fighting class feature, he may change his damage type for every attack, as he desires. Also, his Warshovel can do two types of damage on any attack, as he desires. For example, a Warshovel can do Bludgeoning and Slashing damage for a single attack, then Piercing and Slashing for the next. It still takes a free action to designate damage type, and it must still be done before the attack is made. As a final benefit, a Trench Digger knows how to keep his shovel's head sharp, and never needs to resharpen it with tools.

Greater Weapon Focus - At 4nd level, a Trench Digger gains Greater Weapon Focus (Warshovel) as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the pre-requisites.

Endless Dig (Ex) - At 5th level, a Trench Digger is used to working long nights digging. He becomes immune to Fatigue, and anything that would make him exhausted makes him Fatigued instead.

A Warshovels Stats are listed here - http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2602657#post2602657

XtheYeti
2007-05-18, 07:05 AM
Very...interesting. i can see these guys actualy existing, thats cool, hmm i can see some party coming across one of these guys not think anything of them then when they try to bully him into telling them his cities defences he turns and beats them all up with his shovel and the whole time he is the pc's are just looking around at each other and asking "WTF hes kicking our buts with a shovel man!!!"

mikeejimbo
2007-05-18, 08:54 AM
I love it, as I expected I would once I read your Warshovel stats. I also like the variability of the backstories. I could imagine a mobster taking this class. It's very fitting.

I imagine the easiest class to get into this with would be Fighter, but I think it'd be hilarious to come into it as a Cleric, especially if they followed a god whose favorite weapon was a Warshovel.

sigurd
2007-05-18, 12:32 PM
I like it but I'd suggest a few tweaks.

Healthy digger is too good - allow the Digger to add his digger level to disease and poison saves.
Endless Dig has the same problem - something like "may disregard exhaustion from digging for his character level in hours +4 (Thats potentially digging for 24 hrs straight). May apply his digger level to all saves vs exhaustion.

I don't think any other class worries about dull weapons and there really are no mechanics to model it. You might try that the shovel is dulled on a natural 1 until it is sharpened. Dull weapons suffer -1 to hit.

Can a war shovel be braced against a charge? How long is it? Reach? I assume that is the medium size?

Three shovel feats is a lot to get into a 5 level class. I'd make it 2 and move the third into the class.

I'd drop the burial of the dead requirement unless you want to make it cultural. 10 graves are a lot of work but I don't know they could teach you much.

You might add something like must have dug or supervised the digging of battlefield trenches in preparation for a battle.

And nitpick - I'd change "Shovel Mastery" tp Selective Damage or something like that. Too much confusion with Melee Weapon Mastery - Gain Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization benefits with multiple weapons. Its clearer IMHO

With your permission, I'd like to add it to my campaign.

JackMage666
2007-05-18, 02:05 PM
To sigurd -

To start, a Warshovels Stats are listed here - http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...57#post2602657

Healthy Digger works only against natural Disease, not poison. The idea come from digging in wet mud and filth can cause disease, but not poisoning, and the diseases are natural. This ability would be gained at 8th level at lowest, 5 levels after a Paladin becomes completely immune to all diseases, and 3 levels after a monk gains essentially the same ability. Also, natural diseases tend to not be a problem for an 8th level character - Note the ability has no effect on Supernatural or Magical disease.

Endless Dig is gained at 10th level at lowest, 4 levels after a 1 level dip in Horizon Walker would do the same thing. The average player would be discouraged from taking all 5 levels just for that ability, and it shouldn't be overpowering. After all, the idea is to make a character that can continously dig and work through the night, setting up defenses.

Mechanically, there are no rules for dull weapons, no, which is a problem I'd hope a DM would address. This is particularly a problem for Warshovel's who can only do Bludgeoning damage if dulled. But, as said, it is more of a flavor thing than anything.

I agree with the 3 feat requirement, especially because it basically means that someone has to be a fighter. I'll fix that shortly.

The entry pre-requisites will be changed for flavor as well, and the name of Shovel Mastery in order to fix confusion.

I made this at 2:30 in the morning, so I appoligize for any problems, but thank you for the criticism.

Oh, and of course you may use it, as you see fit.

Fualkner Asiniti
2007-05-18, 02:22 PM
Very Flavorful. I can see a party hiring one of these as a cohort, but an actual PC taking it isn't very likely.

DracoDei
2007-05-18, 03:27 PM
I really dig this Prestige Class.

Raven T.
2007-05-18, 03:49 PM
This makes me want a Vorpal Warshovel now.

sigurd
2007-05-18, 07:19 PM
To Jackmage,

My apologies if I sounded too critical. I really like your class and can see your balance choices against the other classes. My comments are because its a good idea and a sign of interest.... Thanks for listening.

Sigurd

mikeejimbo
2007-05-18, 09:22 PM
I really dig this Prestige Class.

*groan*

You win.

Mr. Moogle
2007-05-19, 12:22 AM
I can imagine what a Crit would be like

GWAUGH PENITRATION!!!!!!!!!!!
I think ive just been raped... by a shovel...