PDA

View Full Version : Feats that blend Arcana and Psionics (PEACH of course)

JoshuaZ
2007-05-18, 02:53 AM
Although there are some things that help out casters who are both divine and arcane, there isn't much that helps out people like the cerebemancer. So to correct that, here are some feats to help out those weaker hybrid casters:

May 19 - I've made some edits based on comments both here and at other boards as well as added fluff. Underlined sections are additions and struck out parts are removals.

Arcane Psionic Focus [Metamagic] [Psionic]
Prerequisites:
Spellcraft 5, Psicraft 5
Benefit: You are able to leach a small amount of arcane energy from your spells and use it for psionic effects.When you cast a spell modified by Arcane Psionic Focus you
automatically regain your psionic focus if you
are not currently focused. A spell modified by Arcane Psionic Focus takes a spell slot level 1 higher than normal.

Thoughts: I'm not sure if this feat is too weak compared to Psionic Meditation which allows one to regain psionic focus as a move action with prereqs Wis 13, Concentration 7 ranks. On the other hand, if you aren't that wise this might be the feat for you. I initially considered making Psionic Meditation a prereq but then I figured if one has Psionic Meditation it seems unlikely one would then take this unless one has some weird build that could cast but still cared a lot about being focused. Would it hurt too much if an additional effect of this metamagic would be to add 1 temporary power point to the caster's reserve? Given that there have been comments that this feat is both too powerful and that it is too weak, I'm going to assume it is just right.

Psionic Empowerment [Psionic]
Prerequisites: Ability to spontaneously cast 3rd level arcane spells, a power reserve of at least 1 point. Spellcraft 15, Psicraft 15 and at least 1 metamagic feat.
Benefit: You may use psionic energy to supplement arcane magicThis feat has two different results, one for spontaneous arcane spells and 1 for prepared spells.
For spontaneous arcane spells: You may expend your psionic focus when spontaneously casting an arcane spell which is modified by
metamagic to reduce by 1 the added levels required for the spell slot and adding metamagic does not increase the casting time as it normally would for spontaneous metamagic. This cannot be used to reduce the added levels to the required spell slot from metamagic below 0.
For prepared arcane spells: You may prepare an arcane spell modified by metamagic in a slot that is 2 levels lower than you would be able to otherwise. This cannot be used to reduce the added levels to the required spell slot from metamagic below 0, and the spell cannot be cast when you do not have psionic focus.

Thoughts:I'm not sure the spontaneous version of the above is strong enough. Should it maybe also add a caster level to the spell? Also, note that both feats when combined in the prepared version allow one to reduce the added cost of metamagic by 1 when one is focused.

Arcane-Psionic Synthesis [Psionic]
Prerequisites: Spellcraft 5, Psicraft 5. Ability to cast 1st level arcane spells at least one of which is from the standard SRD list has a psionic version. Ability to manifest 1st level powers at least one of is in the standard psion/wilder SRD list and which has an arcane version.
Benefit: When you take this feat, pick one power you have that is on the standard sor/wiz SRD list and which has a corresponding version on the standard psionc/wilder list. You get the psionic version of this spell added to your list of powers known. Also, pick one power you have that is on the standard psionc/wilder SRD list and has a corresponding version on the sor/wiz SRD list. Yoy gain the sor/wiz version of this power added to your spells known list (if you need a spellbook, the spell becomes added to your spellbook for free). You still cannot cast or manifest these spells and powers until you have reached the requistie caster level or spell level.

Thoughts:I don't like the name for this above feat too much. I thought of Arcane-Psionic Cross-Fertilization but while more descriptive that didn't sound as good. I'm also worried that there might be some clever tricks one can do with this feat that I'm missing that would make it broken.

Arcane to Psionic Power [Psionic]
Prerequisites Spellcraft 5, Psicraft 5. A power reserve of at least 5 points and the ability to cast 2nd level spells (either divine or arcane).
Benefit May once a turn as a move action sacrifice an unused spell slot of at least 2nd level and add to your power reserve the slot level -1. You cannot use this to exceed your maximum number of points in your reserve.

Improved Arcane to Psionic Power [Psionic]
Prerequisites Spellcraft 15, Psicraft 15, Arcane to Psionic Power, Psionic Meditation.
Benefit May use the ability of Arcane to Psionic Power as a free action and after having done so may use it up to once more that turn as a move action. Or may do so only once a turn as a move action and then if the spell used is at least 7th level then you may choose to regain psionic focus when you do this.

I'm still thinking about how to fix these two feats

This next feat needs a name:
Named Needed [Psionic]
Prerequisites: Spellcraft 15, Psicraft 15, Knowledge(arcana) 10, Knowledge(Psionics 10) . Spellcraft 8, Psicraft 8, Knowledge(arcana) 5, Knowledge(Psionics) 5.
Benefit: You understand the psionics and magic are interrelated Once a day may choose to May substitute a Psicraft check for a Spellcraft check or substitute a Spellcraft check for a Psicraft check. This does not allow you any extra rechecks.

XtheYeti
2007-05-18, 07:18 AM
This all looks pretty good to me man, rock on

Human Paragon 3
2007-05-18, 07:38 AM
Arcane Psionic Focus [Metamagic] [Psionic]
Prerequisites:
Spellcraft 5, Psicraft 5
Benefit: When you cast a spell modified by Arcane Psionic Focus you
automatically regain your psionic focus if you
are not currently focused. A spell modified by Arcane Psionic Focus takes a spell slot level 1 higher than normal.

Psionic Empowerment [Psionic]
Prerequisites: Ability to spontaneously cast 3rd level arcane spells, a power reserve of at least 1 point. Spellcraft 15, Psicraft 15 and at least 1 metamagic feat.
Benefit: This feat has two different results, one for spontaneous arcane spells and 1 for prepared spells.
For spontaneous arcane spells: You may expend your psionic focus when spontaneously casting an arcane spell which is modified by
metamagic to reduce by 1 the added levels required for the spell slot. This cannot be used to reduce the added levels to the required spell slot from metamagic below 0.
For prepared arcane spells: You may prepare an arcane spell modified by metamagic in a slot that is 2 levels lower than you would be able to otherwise. This cannot be used to reduce the added levels to the required spell slot from metamagic below 0, and the spell cannot be cast when you do not have psionic focus.

This next feat needs a name:
Named Needed [Psionic]
Prerequisites: Spellcraft 15, Psicraft 15, Knowledge(arcana) 10, Knowledge(Psionics 10).
Benefit: Once a day may choose to substitute a Psicraft check for a Spellcraft check or substitute a Spellcraft check for a Psicraft check.

My comments on these three:

Arcane Psionic Focus: an interesting feat that is useful to the right build, I don't think it's underpowered in the right build as it essentially lets you focus as a free action.

Psionic Empowerment: Maybe this should let spontaneous casters use metamagic as a standard action instead of a full round action?

Unnamed Feat: If you already have spellcraft 15 and psicraft 15, what is the sense of substituting on skill for the other? Am I missing something? Does it allow instant retries at no penalty with the other skill? If not, it seems pretty useless. If you decide to go ahead with it, Arcane Psionic Knowledge is an OK name.

JoshuaZ
2007-05-19, 01:33 PM
My comments on these three:

Psionic Empowerment: Maybe this should let spontaneous casters use metamagic as a standard action instead of a full round action?

Unnamed Feat: If you already have spellcraft 15 and psicraft 15, what is the sense of substituting on skill for the other? Am I missing something? Does it allow instant retries at no penalty with the other skill? If not, it seems pretty useless. If you decide to go ahead with it, Arcane Psionic Knowledge is an OK name.

The suggestion for Psionic Empowerment has been made by a lot of people and it seems like a good one so I've edited it correspondingly. The point about the Unamed Feat is also good and I've edited it. I don't like the suggested name since it isn't about knowledge but about craft checks. A few people have also criticized the feats which convert the spell slots to pp as too inefficient but I haven't found a good fix for that yet.