PDA

View Full Version : Question about Exotic Weapon Master's "Uncanny Blow"

Windrammer
2015-09-27, 12:15 PM
It states that you get a x2 strength bonus on damage rolls instead of the usual 1.5 when using a one handed exotic weapon in two hands.

Now let's say I'm using a bastard sword.

Even though it's a martial weapon in two hands, you are technically holding a "one handed exotic weapon" in two hands. Can this feature apply?

What I actually want to do is play a large creature with a fullblade, or a better "one handed" large exotic weapon if I can find it.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-09-27, 12:18 PM
I would say yes. It is a one handed exotic weapon under the table. The rules say may wield as a martial, not that it is a martial.

Curmudgeon
2015-09-27, 12:44 PM
The weapon's category is defined by the specifics of its use, not its default position on some table. A Dwarven waraxe isn't an exotic weapon when wielded by a Dwarf. Is a spear a melee weapon when you throw it? Of course not — except when a Bloodstorm Blade throws it using Thunderous Throw.

Windrammer
2015-09-27, 01:18 PM
The weapon's category is defined by the specifics of its use, not its default position on some table. A Dwarven waraxe isn't an exotic weapon when wielded by a Dwarf. Is a spear a melee weapon when you throw it? Of course not — except when a Bloodstorm Blade throws it using Thunderous Throw.

The Dwarven Waraxe does count as an exotic weapon wielded by a Dwarf. In fact, the racial proficiency qualifies them for Exotic Weapon Master, as specifically stated by hte prestige class. And when I say "specifically" I mean Dwarves were actually used as the example.

Races that have familiarity with an exotic weapon (such as the dwarf's familiarity with the dwarven waraxe and the dwarven urgrosh) are considered to have the Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat for the purpose of meeting the requirements for this class.

SangoProduction
2015-09-27, 01:41 PM
It states that you get a x2 strength bonus on damage rolls instead of the usual 1.5 when using a one handed exotic weapon in two hands.

This implies, quite heavily, that if it would not usually have 1.5 times your strength, then the ability doesn't work, or even if it did, then the new multiplier subsumes the old one.

Curmudgeon
2015-09-27, 02:11 PM
The Dwarven Waraxe does count as an exotic weapon wielded by a Dwarf. In fact, the racial proficiency qualifies them for Exotic Weapon Master, as specifically stated by hte prestige class. And when I say "specifically" I mean Dwarves were actually used as the example.

Races that have familiarity with an exotic weapon (such as the dwarf's familiarity with the dwarven waraxe and the dwarven urgrosh) are considered to have the Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat for the purpose of meeting the requirements for this class.
That's an exception specific to meeting the entry requirements for that class; it has no bearing anywhere else in the game. The usual rule is:
A dwarf treats a dwarven waraxe as a martial weapon even when using it in one hand.

Windrammer
2015-09-27, 03:14 PM
This implies, quite heavily, that if it would not usually have 1.5 times your strength, then the ability doesn't work, or even if it did, then the new multiplier subsumes the old one.

How does it imply that?

SangoProduction
2015-09-27, 03:25 PM
How does it imply that?

instead - as a substitute or alternative to; in place of.

ie. Not, stacking.

OldTrees1
2015-09-27, 04:23 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the 1.5xStr the natural bonus one gets from using both hands as per basic combat rules? Sure there is an exception(Rapier IIRC) but why are you bringing this up?

SangoProduction
2015-09-27, 04:28 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the 1.5xStr the natural bonus one gets from using both hands as per basic combat rules? Sure there is an exception(Rapier IIRC) but why are you bringing this up?

Rereading the op, it seems he's asking if the you could get the 2x benefit from two-handing, due to it being a 1 handed exotic weapon.

I misread it originally, thinking that he was asking "If I used it as a 2 handed weapon, and then have this effect work, I can get 2 times my strength and then another 2 times my strength." through some strange reading of the RAW.

Of course, there's no reason for it to work, as you already benefit from it being 2 handed weapon. So to answer the question of the op: it works, but it doesn't matter.

Windrammer
2015-09-27, 05:33 PM
Rereading the op, it seems he's asking if the you could get the 2x benefit from two-handing, due to it being a 1 handed exotic weapon.

I misread it originally, thinking that he was asking "If I used it as a 2 handed weapon, and then have this effect work, I can get 2 times my strength and then another 2 times my strength." through some strange reading of the RAW.

Of course, there's no reason for it to work, as you already benefit from it being 2 handed weapon. So to answer the question of the op: it works, but it doesn't matter.

What I thought it to mean is that you'll be getting 2:1 strength damage instead of the usual 1.5:1, which would result in greater overall damage output (but not by much)

SangoProduction
2015-09-27, 05:40 PM
What I thought it to mean is that you'll be getting 2:1 strength damage instead of the usual 1.5:1, which would result in greater overall damage output (but not by much)

You'd already get 2:1, because it's a two handed weapon. It could be used in 1 hand if you used exotic proficiency, but there's no point. Literally none.

Windrammer
2015-09-27, 05:49 PM
You'd already get 2:1, because it's a two handed weapon. It could be used in 1 hand if you used exotic proficiency, but there's no point. Literally none.

You get 2:1 on power attacks with two handed weapon, not on your attack damage bonus.

OldTrees1
2015-09-27, 05:51 PM

Um. 2 handed weapons get 1.5xStr. The OP was asking if Uncanny Blow(which increases the 1.5x to 2x) applies to Bastard Swords(when wielded in 2 hands).

Which, unless your DM is Curmudgeon, it does.

SangoProduction
2015-09-27, 05:51 PM
You get 2:1 on power attacks with two handed weapon, not on your attack damage bonus.

Hmm, sure. That works.

falloutimperial
2015-09-27, 05:53 PM
From the SRD:

A character can use a bastard sword two-handed as a martial weapon.
Emphasis mine.

This does not preclude someone from using a bastard sword as an exotic weapon when holding it in two hands.