PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade too multiclass or prestige?

ReD_Exorcist
2015-09-27, 04:51 PM
Hexblade Human Level 3
Str: 14 Dex: 10 Con: 15 Int: 11 Wis: 8 Cha: 17 32 Point Buy System
Feats: Human: Power Attack, Character Level 1st: Master of Poisons & Character Level 3rd: Obtain Familiar

So that's what I got going for my class right now, I am using the revised home brew version of Hexblade.

Now for my question. I can't decide whether I want to take Paladin of Tyranny to multiclass into or if I want to dive into Blackguard.
See if I am a blackguard I don't need Master of poisons and I get some sneak attack damage which too me seems pretty nice. Only thing that I don't like very much is the fact that I need Cleave and Improved Sunder.
While if I go into Paladin I still get divine blessing which lets admit is just amazing for high charisma players.

So advice anyone?

Andry
2015-09-27, 05:20 PM
Well if you just wanted Blackguard for sneak attack you might as well take a level in rogue. Shoot you might as well take 2 so you can have evasion and mettle.

Kahlendrrari
2015-09-27, 05:26 PM
blackguard is underwhelming, it's not going to give you anything worthwhile. poison use is mediocre due to the laughable way that poison DCs don't scale. If you truly want something "Blackguard-y" use the Paladin of Tyranny.

Also, learn to use the correct form of to.
Too: to a higher degree than is desirable, permissible, or possible; excessively. -or- in addition; also.

Dread_Head
2015-09-27, 06:14 PM
blackguard is underwhelming, it's not going to give you anything worthwhile. poison use is mediocre due to the laughable way that poison DCs don't scale. If you truly want something "Blackguard-y" use the Paladin of Tyranny.

I don't know about that, it grants all the things PoT does and a few others, the only downside is the lame prerequisites and the fact you get the abilities later but if you're taking hexblade first it's not that much difference. On the upside it has no silly code of conduct, you just have to be evil.

@OP I would take the next level of Hexblade for the Dark Companion ACF (PHBII) then two levels of fighter for the feats before going Blackguard. You'll want to raise your Wis (level up bonuses and enhancement items) by the time you enter though so you can cast spells. Or take both PoT and Blackguard, nothing stops you going Hexblade 4 / PoT 3 / Blackguard X or similar and double up on all those tasty abilities. Consider some levels of Binder (ToM) as well to bind Focalor and have all the debuffing auras.

ReD_Exorcist
2015-09-27, 07:13 PM
I feel like the thin spread of rogue, paladin and hexblade is too much

SangoProduction
2015-09-27, 07:25 PM
You don't seem to be looking for power, so can you clarify exactly what you want your character to be doing?

Taveena
2015-09-27, 07:27 PM
Blackguard is basically the best option if your DM is rigidly enforcing codes or you're not keen on being LE. As it is, though, enough levels for Aura of Despair results in a solid debuff build. Bind Vestige/Improved Bind Vestige can let you bind Focalor for Aura of Sadness, which stacks with that. Or you can multiclass into Binder. Whatever works.

Kyuu Himura
2015-09-27, 07:28 PM
I am using the revised home brew version of Hexblade.

A link to this would be useful as well.

nedz
2015-09-27, 07:36 PM
Can you post a link to the revised home brew version of Hexblade you are using please ?
There are several.

Normally you don't bother with Hexblade beyond level 3 but that might not be true.

With high Cha I'd normally look at going Bard or Sorcerer into a Gish PrC but this might not be what you want.

Hexblade 3 / Rogue 2 / Assassin might be better ?
This gives you sneak, evasion, and poison use; as well as a few spells.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-09-27, 08:26 PM
Which revised Hexblade are you using? Because I've found five on this forum alone (https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1AVNC_enUS596US596&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=site%3Agiantitp.com%20revised%20hexblade).

You'll still want Master of Poisons even if you get the Poison Use class feature, since it enables you to apply poison to your weapon as a swift action instead of using a standard action, and it no longer provokes an AoO.

Consider picking up Suel Arcanamach in CA, which will make good use of that high Cha. Something like Hexblade 3/ Paladin of Tyranny 3/ Suel Arcanamach 4/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Spellsword 1/ Dragon Disciple 4 would be ideal. Gain the Iron Will prerequisite via the Otyugh Hole in CS during downtime for 3,000 gp, and trade Ride for Tumble as a class skill (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a).

Red Rubber Band
2015-09-27, 09:39 PM
Why not take 3 levels of both? That, with another level of Hexblade (ACF), gives you 3 "auras" (or 2 and a shadow) that give opponents -2 to a bunch of things.

Yogibear41
2015-09-27, 11:06 PM
Hexblade 4(with PHB 2 ACF)/Paladin of T 3 is a good start for a debuffer. Could look into intimidating strike feat for an additional minor debuff on things if you are putting points into intimidate at all. If you want to get any real use out of your Hexblade curse at all you need to maximize hexblade levels though.

Bonzai
2015-09-27, 11:19 PM
I like a 3 level dip into Black Guard. You trade out dire curse for aura of despair. Same net debuff, but instead it's a persistent with no save component. it also gets you Charisma to saves, which is lovely with mettle. Plus it's full BAB. My Recommendation?

Hexblade 6/Blackguard 3/Hexblade 11

Dark Companion alternative class feature.
Feats: Dreadful Wrath, Power attack, Cleave, Improved Sunder, Bind Vestige, Improved bind vestige (Focalor), Brutal Strike, Netherese Battle Curse.

Focalor + Dark Companion + Aura of Despair = -6 persistent aura to saves with no saving throw. Dreadful wrath triggers on a charge, charge using power attack, Brutal strike, and Netherese battle curse for a potential -6. Then after the charge, throw down the curse for another -4 for a potential -16 to saves, of which -6 is guaranteed just by standing next to them.

If your DM allows Dragon Magazine, Unseelie Fey makes this build off the chain, as you get another debuff aura equal to your charisma modifier.

Kahlendrrari
2015-09-28, 01:25 AM
Paladin of Tyranny 3 gives you: Aura of Despair, Aura of Evil, Deadly Touch, Detect Good, Divine Health, Divine Grace, Smite Good 1/day.

Blackguard 3 gives you:Aura of Despair, Aura of evil, Command undead, Dark blessing, Detect Good, Poison Use, Smite Good 1/day.

Items in bold are the same or equivalent.

So Paladin of Tyranny 3 gives you just about everything Blackguard does, just without all the silly feat requirements. The only way that Blackguard gets any better is if you have paladin levels to get the extra abilities for them. One thing to note though, Dark Blessing, and Divine Grace stack due to them coming from different sources.

Taveena
2015-09-28, 03:13 AM
Paladin of Tyranny 3 gives you: Aura of Despair, Aura of Evil, Deadly Touch, Detect Good, Divine Health, Divine Grace, Smite Good 1/day.

Blackguard 3 gives you:Aura of Despair, Aura of evil, Command undead, Dark blessing, Detect Good, Poison Use, Smite Good 1/day.

Items in bold are the same or equivalent.

So Paladin of Tyranny 3 gives you just about everything Blackguard does, just without all the silly feat requirements. The only way that Blackguard gets any better is if you have paladin levels to get the extra abilities for them. One thing to note though, Dark Blessing, and Divine Grace stack due to them coming from different sources.

It's fairly easy to argue that Command Undead is worth more than Divine Health or Deadly Touch, simply because that can fuel Divine Feats.

Llllike Death Devotion.

For what it's worth, I also used an Cursespewing Impact Minotaur Greathammer for another -4 to saves. Minotaur Greathammer over, say, a Falchion or Kukri because Brutal Strike. There were also 9 levels of Zhentarim Fighter in there but there are other less intensive levels (Barbarian 1 with Intimidating Rage).

So in total you can get -2 from Blackguard/Paladin of Tyranny, -4 Hexblade's Curse, -2 Dark Companion, -2 Shaken, -2 Sickened, -4 Cursespewing Weapon, -2 Focalor, and -1 to 5 from Death Devotion, for a heft -19 to -23 to saving throws.

Unseelie Fae also helped for me, but probably doesn't fit your concept.