PDA

View Full Version : Can you persist a spell before going to bed and go about the next day with full slots

Windrammer
2015-09-27, 05:37 PM
Like, I cast bull's strength, go to bed, and the next day I have full spell sots and a persisted buff. Can I do that?

nyjastul69
2015-09-27, 05:39 PM
Like, I cast bull's strength, go to bed, and the next day I have full spell sots and a persisted buff. Can I do that?

What class is the caster? What is 'going to bed'? What is a 'day'?

eggynack
2015-09-27, 05:43 PM
Persist makes a spell last 24 hours. If a given encounter falls within that 24 hour period, then the spell will be active during that time, unless there's some other force acting on it. Whether you sleep or prepare new spells is irrelevant.

Windrammer
2015-09-27, 05:45 PM
What class is the caster? What is 'going to bed'? What is a 'day'?

Wizard, night of rest, 24 hours.

Jack_Simth
2015-09-27, 06:00 PM

You still need your full 8 hours of non-activity, interruption rules still apply, and the 8 hour casting limit still applies... but yes, you can. Also of note is that if you want to do this again the next day, you're still going to need to use the slot on the same spell to get the next day's buff in (although that does give you some dispel insurance, as you'll be able to put it back if it gets dispelled mid-day). But if you're reasonably certain that you'll only need the one day, it works just fine.

Psyren
2015-09-27, 06:34 PM
Yes, of course you can do this - and it's not just Persisted spells, it will apply to any spell that lasts longer than it takes you to sleep and recover your slots. Permanent or Permanencied spells, 24 hour duration spells, Extended hours/level spells, you name it.

BowStreetRunner
2015-09-27, 07:01 PM
The only additional restriction worth noting is the Recent Casting Limit (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#recentCastingLimitRestInterruptio ns) rule. So you have to cast the spell more than 8 hours before you prepare your spells for the new day. This means that you are only really getting up to 16 hours of the persisted spell after preparing your spells.

SangoProduction
2015-09-27, 07:28 PM
The only additional restriction worth noting is the Recent Casting Limit (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#recentCastingLimitRestInterruptio ns) rule. So you have to cast the spell more than 8 hours before you prepare your spells for the new day. This means that you are only really getting up to 16 hours of the persisted spell after preparing your spells.

Or you can just cast the spell 1 hour before bed (or a few minutes, really, but because you'd probably get called out on it unless you have an accurate clock to make sure you don't mess up the timing, just say an hour). You sleep for 8 hours. Now it's been 9 hours since you cast that spell. It's not recently cast any more.

nyjastul69
2015-09-27, 07:31 PM
Or you can just cast the spell 1 hour before bed (or a few minutes, really, but because you'd probably get called out on it unless you have an accurate clock to make sure you don't mess up the timing, just say an hour). You sleep for 8 hours. Now it's been 9 hours since you cast that spell. It's not recently cast any more.

How does this circumvent the per day limitation?

Edit: Sorry, total read fail. Please carry on.

SangoProduction
2015-09-27, 07:36 PM

Elaborate please.

Psyren
2015-09-27, 07:42 PM

Elaborate please.

Yeah, I'm confused too. 1 hour before bed should work just fine by my reading (well, unless you're an elf.)

SangoProduction
2015-09-27, 07:44 PM
Yeah, I'm confused too. 1 hour before bed should work just fine by my reading (well, unless you're an elf.)

Meh, just wait until your friends awake, and then prepare spells.

nyjastul69
2015-09-27, 07:52 PM
Elaborate please.

My elaboration is.. Ttl red flial. :(

BowStreetRunner
2015-09-27, 07:56 PM
All practical considerations aside, the restriction is 8 hours before preparing. Any spells cast during that time count against the caster's daily limit. Which is why I stated that the caster would at most get 16 hours off of a persisted spell cast the day before.

Your method would certainly work. But when you consider rest interruptions it not only won't always work out that way, but it's not always the best method. I played with someone whose elven wizard would trance and rest at odd times during the day whenever possible. They always arrived at the last hour before preparing their new spells per day with 1 hour left to rest (after including extra hours tacked on for interruptions). They would then complete their rest and then prepare their new spells. In many instances they could very well be casting daily spells just a few minutes prior to the 8 hour threshold.

Yuki Akuma
2015-09-27, 07:58 PM
Meh, just wait until your friends awake, and then prepare spells.

You have to anyway - even if you're an elf, and only have to trance for four hours, you need eight hours of uninterrupted rest to prepare Wizard spells.

Even if you're an Outsider or Construct and don't need sleep, you need to sit around twiddling your thumbs for eight hours before you can prepare Wizard spells.

SangoProduction
2015-09-27, 08:02 PM
You have to anyway - even if you're an elf, and only have to trance for four hours, you need eight hours of uninterrupted rest to prepare Wizard spells.

Even if you're an Outsider or Construct and don't need sleep, you need to sit around twiddling your thumbs for eight hours before you can prepare Wizard spells.

exactly my point

ryu
2015-09-27, 08:11 PM

We have magic items for this. I still think it's objectively stupid that those latter cases don't obviate the need of such items but whatever.

BowStreetRunner
2015-09-27, 08:16 PM
...you need eight hours of uninterrupted rest to prepare Wizard spells...
Ummm, not quite. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#rest)

If her rest is interrupted, each interruption adds 1 hour to the total amount of time she has to rest in order to clear her mind, and she must have at least 1 hour of uninterrupted rest immediately prior to preparing her spells.

Inevitability
2015-09-27, 10:53 PM
Yes you can, by RAW. However, I can see your DM not liking this and I'd suggest asking his opinion here. 'We enter the dungeon with full spells and everyone is also buffed' can make balancing encounters (the most horrifying part of 3.5) even harder.

Psyren
2015-09-27, 11:50 PM
Yes you can, by RAW. However, I can see your DM not liking this and I'd suggest asking his opinion here. 'We enter the dungeon with full spells and everyone is also buffed' can make balancing encounters (the most horrifying part of 3.5) even harder.

But this is already balanced by 24-hour buffs or extended hour-long buffs being designed with this possibility in mind. Such spells are intended to be able to persist through sleep already.

The only possibly questionable balance area is persisted spells where the metamagic cost is reduced or replaced, e.g. DMM Persist - but that is an issue with the specific method being used to mitigate those costs, rather than the notion of persisting spells in general.