PDA

View Full Version : Drow Scout/Dervish advice

TheCrowing1432
2015-09-27, 11:38 PM
Hello there, I have created a Scout/Dervish build for a drow character that I need some advice on. Heres what I have so far.

Level 1(Scout): Drow Skirmisher.
Level 2(Fighter): Mobility (Fighter Bonus)
Level 3(Fighter): Weapon Focus (Drow Scorpion Chain), Weapon Finesse (Fighter Bonus)
Level 4(Scout):
Level 5(Scout):
Level 6(Scout): Combat Expertise, Dodge (Scout Bonus)
Level 7(Scout):
Level 8(Dervish):
Level 9(Dervish):
Level 10(Dervish): Spring Attack (Dervish Bonus)
Level 11(Dervish):

Other then a desire to use the Drow Scorpion Chain as my weapon of choice for dervishing, I have no idea where else to go, or even what my 9th level feat should be.

Any suggestions?

Curmudgeon
2015-09-28, 12:05 AM
Improved Skirmish (Complete Scoundrel) is probably your best bet for 9th level feat.

TheCrowing1432
2015-09-28, 12:16 AM
Wow, improved skirmish is really good.

Any advice on items/weapon enchantments?

I already know about the quicksilver boots, anything more along those lines?

Dread_Head
2015-09-28, 04:25 AM
Wow, improved skirmish is really good.

Any advice on items/weapon enchantments?

I already know about the quicksilver boots, anything more along those lines?

Skirmisher Boots are good but compete with quicksilver boots for your feet slot.

Have a quick look through here for other equipment suggestions. (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1044716)

How are you taking Mobility before Dodge?

Consider the Hit-and-Run tactics ACF for Fighter from Drow of the Underdark. You trade heavy armour and tower shield proficiency for a bonus to Initiative and Dex to damage against flat footed enemies.

nedz
2015-09-28, 09:49 AM
Improved Skirmish is probably the best option but there are others to consider

Combat Reflexes
Improved Trip
Curling Wave Strike or Sweeping Trip
Elusive Target

Seharvepernfan
2015-09-28, 10:06 AM
For activating skirmish and still getting more than one attack, you have a few options:

Travel Devotion: a feat that gives you an extra move action each round for a minute, takes a swift action to activate

a level of swordsage (or maybe martial study), for sudden leap and wolf fang strike

spring attack/bounding assault/rapid blitz

nedz
2015-09-28, 06:16 PM
For activating skirmish and still getting more than one attack, you have a few options:

Travel Devotion: a feat that gives you an extra move action each round for a minute, takes a swift action to activate

a level of swordsage (or maybe martial study), for sudden leap and wolf fang strike

Or by using Dervish Dance, which this build gets at level 8

What you really need is some way of getting it more than 1/day

Troacctid
2015-09-28, 06:52 PM
I'm assuming you have some solution for dealing with the +2 LA? The standard Drow is just a horribly underpowered race, as nothing they get is worth losing two levels for. But there are several ways to avoid the LA, such as by being a Half-Drow or Deepwyrm Half-Drow, using the Lesser Drow variant from PGtF, using the savage progression version of the Drow and delaying the racial levels indefinitely, or being a Changeling instead and taking Racial Emulation to fake it. If you haven't worked out something specific with your DM to make Drow more viable, I'd strongly recommend one of those other options instead (although Lesser Drow and Savage Progression Drow are variant rules and should still include a conversation with your DM).

TheCrowing1432
2015-09-29, 11:38 AM
Skirmisher Boots are good but compete with quicksilver boots for your feet slot.

Have a quick look through here for other equipment suggestions. (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1044716)

How are you taking Mobility before Dodge?

Consider the Hit-and-Run tactics ACF for Fighter from Drow of the Underdark. You trade heavy armour and tower shield proficiency for a bonus to Initiative and Dex to damage against flat footed enemies.

Probably going to combine the quicksilver/skirmisher boots into one.

The characters going to be created at level 11, so the feat order doesnt really matter tbh.

Hmm, Ill look into the hit and run tactics

Improved Skirmish is probably the best option but there are others to consider

Combat Reflexes
Improved Trip
Curling Wave Strike or Sweeping Trip
Elusive Target

Probably going to continue the spring attack line tbh. Combat Reflexes is a consideration though, since the scorpion chain is a reach weapon

Dont you need turn undead for travel devotion?

Dont know where Im gonna fit in the swordsage level.

Or by using Dervish Dance, which this build gets at level 8

What you really need is some way of getting it more than 1/day

Which other then continuing levels in Dervish, I dont think there are any ways to do so. Unless all the things that give you extra rage could be converted to Dervish dances instead.

I might talk to my dm about that.

I'm assuming you have some solution for dealing with the +2 LA? The standard Drow is just a horribly underpowered race, as nothing they get is worth losing two levels for. But there are several ways to avoid the LA, such as by being a Half-Drow or Deepwyrm Half-Drow, using the Lesser Drow variant from PGtF, using the savage progression version of the Drow and delaying the racial levels indefinitely, or being a Changeling instead and taking Racial Emulation to fake it. If you haven't worked out something specific with your DM to make Drow more viable, I'd strongly recommend one of those other options instead (although Lesser Drow and Savage Progression Drow are variant rules and should still include a conversation with your DM).

We waive LA's

Troacctid
2015-09-29, 01:15 PM
If you can waive LA, then take the Lolth-touched and Shadow templates. Maybe Half-Fey. Or Half-Fiend. Heck, maybe even Vampire? How much LA are you allowed to ignore?

Flickerdart
2015-09-29, 01:44 PM
If you can waive LA, then take the Lolth-touched and Shadow templates. Maybe Half-Fey. Or Half-Fiend. Heck, maybe even Vampire? How much LA are you allowed to ignore?

That sounds like a good way to get the "we ignore LA" rule revoked.