PDA

View Full Version : Kick @$$ success stories

Kelyss
2007-05-18, 11:35 AM
tell your great feats of heroism or badguyism... or just awsome things that have happend.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Me and my friends were playing d&d and i was a fighter, we also had a druid, a barbarian(not very smart), a wizard, and a paladin. we were sent off to find this chick that got kidnapped by this one dude. so we started walking the diretion that we were supposed to find her at. after a while of walking, we came up to a waterfall. the barbarian does a cannon ball off the waterfall, the paladin turns into a fish with his hat of discise(which only changes the appearence of him.) the druid featherfalls, and i do a dive off of the water fall, i got a natrual 20 for my dive. after that we found a cave behind the water fall. we all go down it and we find a fork in the cave so all of the party follows the barbarian(exept for me). i go down the other way and find a hole in the celing. i climb up it and i take a magic missle to the back. so i draw my sword and attack at the wizard. him being a level five, and me being a level two. i got 3 natraul twentys to hit him and lob off his head. finding the girl and makeing her fall in love with me.

DLyon
2007-05-18, 11:53 AM
Right, here we go...First, some background:

My brother, a friend and I were playing a campaign and lately we'd been fighting a lot of undead. We'd killed a certain lich once, but at the time we didn't know he'd come back (being relatively new to the entire D&D thing). I was playing an elven fighter, who dual wielded a pair of longswords. My brother was a half-elven cleric of Pelor, and my friend was an elven Psionic Warrior. We'd tracked the lich down to his hide-out, a god-forsaken tower out on an ominous cliff, overlook the ocean. We entered and had a look around. No one here. There was, however, a very nice looking halberd in one of the rooms, which I grabbed.

A few minutes later, however, the lich came in, saw us, and ran. I gave choice and was the only one who managed to keep up. I took a swing with my new halberd and connected. The lich disentegrated and the DM started laughing. It turned out it was a Halberd of Undead Disruption (Fort save DC 14 or instant destruction). The lich needed anything but a 1 to pass. He rolled a one.

We all had a good laugh and then went on to bask in our triumph.:smallbiggrin:

mikeejimbo
2007-05-18, 12:02 PM
My group was having trouble with this big ol' dragon. I think we were all about half-dead, but we had done quite a bit of damage to it, and I thought that if I could get one good spell off on it, I could do it. I was playing a Cleric, so I cast Harm. Now I fully expected the dragon to make his Fort save, but I was hoping that half damage (75) would be enough to do him in. Sadly, I had to get past his Spell Resistance. So, in character, I said a prayer to my god, hoping for an RP bonus to the Spell Resistance roll. Then I rolled it - natural 20. Not an automatic success, but enough to get by in this case. That did it, and I was the hero.

Actually I wasn't, of course. But to ME, I was.

Diggorian
2007-05-18, 12:11 PM
I played an Aasimar paladin (Corrain) in a 3.0 Greyhawk campaign. The good old king we served made a pact with the baron of a reclusive neighbor to fight the evil lord they both bordered. The DM liked big encounters beyond our level so the baron would often join our party.

Baron Arkily was one of those plot guide NPCs who questioned my code whenever I made choices he determined a paladin wouldnt make (those that veered from the DM's plans). I did Detect Evil on him twice a session average, but got nothing and he wore no magical amulets.

Arkily (DM): "Knight, why did you slay every last bugbear? One may have had good intel for us."
Corrain (Me): "Remember when I asked them to stand down at the start and they shrugged and chuckled at me in their language before the wizard hit me with a Lightning bolt? I dont think they understood Common."
*DM remembers this, but covers up his slip*
Arkily: "I didnt know the god of chivalry was so blood thirsty, paladin."

After some raiders were defeated and captured ...

Arkily: "We need to ... 'interrogate' these scum. Take a walk Corrain."
Corrain: "I know what you mean; I'm not letting you torture them."
Arkily: "Mind your rank. Baron still outweighs paladin, paladin."

The old good king joins us against an evil dragon. We kill it but it 'mortally wounds' the king who confirms out of nowhere that the Baron is his estranged son!!! Arkily becomes king, we work for him now.

Several big missions split the party up. The PC elf ranger, whose player played him chaotic stupid, returns to King Arkily first with drunken report of his failure. "The wine soothes my failure at disappointing you, human king." said sarcastic. Arkily kills him.

Corrain returns to find his ally dead and bursts into the king's war conference with Arkily's top (high level) generals (fighters) and advisors (sorcerors/clerics) with the other PC's backing him.

Corrain steps up onto the map table and draws his greatsword, Justice Harbinger: "King Arkily of Furyondy, I charge you with murder."
Arkily: "A king cant murder, fool! My will is law, there is none higher!"
Corrian draws his holy symbol: "I know one higher."

Charges down the map table and actually smites evil. Big fight erupts, NPCs choose sides. I kill Arkily since he wasnt fully healed from his fight with the ranger. I'm arrested but divinations prove me just. Arkily had a ring of Nondection, not amulet.

The DM didnt run anymore, saying the kingdom would split with civil war and the evil lord would destroy us. Luckily we took turns behind the screen in the group, so no one minded his retirement. The next DM (the ranger's player) had me marry Arkily's Paris Hilton-like daughter to avert the war.

Quietus
2007-05-18, 12:12 PM
Situation : The world has gone nuts. The moon has become a giant floating eye, demon hordes are roaming across the land, pretty standard fantasty shtick. We're in a medium sized city, having just escaped a large city several days away. We attempt to fortify the place as best we can, warning them of what's coming - the army from the large (allied) city. All of it. They instead plan to welcome this army with open arms, despite our warning them that the army is under the control of demons. They don't believe four relatively unheard of level 3 characters, understandable.

Now, here's where the line blurs between heroism and cowardice. Heroism is NOT attempting to stand in front of an army of a hundred thousand highly trained soldiers and their demon friends, when you're four level 3 characters. So I feel no qualms in saying that our response to this situation was : "Fine, here's the information we have, we've scouted, you're screwed. You want to play the idiot move, we want no part of it.", and leave.

So the massive army is marching on the south gate, we attempt to leave through the East - and as we're heading to the East gate, we see the gates closing. Wonderful. After some failed diplomatic attempts to get these guards to let us through, one of us (the midget human ranger) gets the great idea to walk up to the gate controls and open it herself, regardless of what they do. Needless to say, a nice big melee broke out... so here's the players.

The Party :
Fro-Fro, the midget human ranger
Kyton, the spiked-chain weilding fighter/later-to-be-cleric
Nathaniel, the two-bladed-sword weilding Ranger
Kyle, the human/afflicted wererat Rogue (me).

The enemies :
4 relatively innocent conscripts
4 trained guards

This being a highly military town, the "innocent conscripts" ARE armed, but they aren't PC styled. The guards, however, are. And they take great offense to someone attempting to ignore their demands for her to stop. Fighting broke out, and SOMEHOW, Fro-Fro managed to fly under the radar for a couple rounds, getting the gate opening while Kyton and Nathaniel held off the trained guards. Kyle kept himself busy keeping a defensive line between Fro-Fro and the Everyone that wanted to stop her. Eventually, one of the two commoners trying to push past Kyle decided that enough was enough, drew steel, and stabbed him - and at this point, Kyle was in his human form, but was NOT in control of his transformations. I failed the will save to keep control of myself, and immediately shifted into hybrid form - my DM allowed me to glare and hiss angrily as a free intimidate, and I rolled something high, I can't remember what - but enough, in a low-magic setting where lycanthropes are all but unheard of, to convince the commoners fighting me that I was a demon. They wet themselves as a free action, then ran away.

While all this is happening, Kyton and Nathenial have taken down two of the guards, and from over near the gate controls I hear Fro-Fro call out, and when I look over, she's laying on the ground. She made a Bluff check to make it look like she was dead, and not ONE of us passed our Sense Motive. Keeping in mind that Kyle was still unused to the lycanthropy and had just been forced into a change, I decided that, since Fro-Fro was part of our group, Kyle recognized A) Her as a friend, and B) Them as the people who killed his friend. One charging sneak attack later (since they were too occupied with Fro-Fro to pay attention to me), the one with blood on his sword had a pretty nasty lack of throat. The other did like his friends did, pissing himself and running.

By this time, Kyton and Nathaniel had finished the four guards, and we look down the road, to see the army that we were running from marching towards us. The moment they see us (we were kinda known to the other army, go figure), they start charging - and this is where the heroics came in. There's no way we could outrun an entire ARMY, with just the group of us - so I had Kyton take my horse (we all had horses) with him, sent the other three through the gate, and closed it after them, watching the army bear down on me. By the time the gate closed, I had approximately two rounds before I was mincemeat... and I fully intended to find a way to stop this army, or at least slow them down. Thankfully, rogue + wererat = ninja kyle. With an army that he has seen with his own eyes, that took well over a half hour to march past him, bearing down on him, he willingly locked himself INSIDE THE CITY, to try and protect his friends. Thankfully, I rolled awesome on my Disable Device check to break the gate mechanism, and then used my natural 20 on my Climb check to scamper up the wall, over, and leap onto my horse. We rode like the wind that day, with an army having to get past a heavily reinforced gate or go around to another exit to catch up with us.

LongVin
2007-05-18, 12:43 PM
We were playing Old World of Darkness Mage.

All our characters were in Mecha the technocratic prison dimension and we were trying to figure out how to get back to Earth. Now we had no equipment and were trying to make due with whatever we had so the virtual adept in the group(with nearly no levels in fighting skills) picks up two rocks.

Running down a hallway he encounters a Technocratic Agent with a Plasma rifle. Doing the only thing possible to do he chucks the rock at the agent. Rolling an obscene amount of tens he hits the agent in the head killing him. He didn't pick up the Plasma rifle, instead he grabbed the rock he just threw and ran off.

Saph
2007-05-18, 01:33 PM
Diggorian: That's awesome. Well played. :)

Our main campaign just ended a couple of months ago with an epic battle against a dragon. It's a good heroic story, but too long to be worth telling.

- Saph

Ravyn
2007-05-18, 01:50 PM
My personal bests (at least, in one of my Exalted games) tended to involve yelling at armies.

The first time, it was bodyguard duty. How a novice Wyld Hunt ends up playing bodyguard for a legion commander I'm still not sure I quite understand, but there we were. With Costco ninjas in front of us, Anathema-led pirates to the right--we defeated the first, and were about to engage the second when a few more people joined the party: a pair of deathknights, several nephwracks, and a rather large number of mortal cultists.

And the Anathema leading the pirates decided he'd rather see the deathknights dead than see us dead. Which was all very well, except there I was, having set up a perfectly good stunt involving the frozen forms of a couple of my earlier foes (it's a thing about one of my artifacts, a snow-themed modification of the Infinite Jade Chakram).... and nobody in throwing range.

But the archer-deathknight's cultists are alive, not zombies, which means they can feel fear. And I have an idea. Basically shout at the top of my lungs, channel like there's no tomorrow, and threaten his entire army of idiot mortals with a very unpleasant fate if they continue to fight, pointing out just how uncomfortable courting a combination of blood loss and hypothermia is and basically dramatizing the living daylights out of things.

And they. All. Stop. Sure, it was for only a moment--the deathknight with the bow behind them, apparently, was scarier than the delicate-looking Air Aspect girl in front of them--but it gave me ideas. (That was the same session I ended up feigning death under their swords so I could click in an invisibility effect and sneak up on the archer. Tremendously dramatic.)

So not long afterward, we were put in charge of defending a bridge. With far too few people. Only this time, I was prepared--I'd managed to requisition myself some nice artifacts, work on my ability to impress people a little, and basically make sure that this time, I was going to make a proper impression. (The fact that what I was going to do had been pinging around my mind for a week helped.)

Around midnight, in they came--a full legion and their Water Aspect commander, ready to make our lives a. shorter and b. considerably more miserable. This time, I was ready. Cloud-Treading on smoke from our chargebreaks, glowing with the light of a hastily requisitioned Pectoral of Resplendent Speeches, my anima blowing the smoke on all sides but down away and outward like some great flower--like I said, I'd had a week, and all I'd really needed to do was adapt it for the time of day--big dramatic speech appealing to their better judgment, patriotism and decency.

They lapped it up. Even the commander.

The look on my superior's face when my squad and I came back to the site of where the other two legions were attacking, with this crowd I'd just picked up at our backs, and I explained them with a coy "They followed me home. Can I keep them?" was pretty priceless.

...then we managed to secure the surrender of one of the other commanders and take out the third. Grand old time.

Accersitus
2007-05-18, 05:24 PM
In my group 3 "natural 20" in a row on an attack roll instantly kills anything (even a PC :smalleek: ). The fun part, is tat I have manged to roll this up in 3 sepperate campaigns just when the party needs it badly, but I can't remember the circumstances for the second time.

First time i played a Dwarf fighter, and we were fighting a Frost Giant. I was at 4 HP, and all the others in the party were down. The problem was that the giant still had plenty of HP left. Being very loyal to the rest of the party, my Dwarf decided to fight to the death for his friends. The fun part was when I attacked, rolling up 2 "natural 20". But we knew one crit would not drop the giant, so we asked the DM: "If I roll another "natural 20" , does the giant die instantly?". When the DM agreed to this, and I rolled the third "natural 20" , this became one of our house rules. (To this day, we still don't know how the dwarf managed to cut of the giant's head :smallbiggrin: )

The third time the party was cornered by a wizard on a roof. I played a Human Cleric, and we had just wasted almost everything we had on killing loads of undead with SR. One of the last spells I had left was Summon monster (don't remember #), and I used it to summon a celestial bear next to the wizard. On it's first attack, I roll up 3 "natural 20" , and the wizard 3 lvls above us went down(he had tons of protective spells, but no concelement)

evil
2007-05-18, 06:28 PM
D20 Modern.

A Human Reporter, Half Elf Mage, Human Cop, Goblin Crimelord, Half Dragon Office Manager are investigating murders at a local junk yard. They put cameras at spots in the junkyard and come back the next morning. They see it's a large humanoild form made of garbage (a litter brute) and decide the only logical course of action. They Load up a Hummer and an ATV with Dynamite and the drive around the junkyard. The ATV is the first one to find it. So here you have a goblin (wearing a cowboy hat [which had a hole in it after he arranged his sniping]) chucking TNT behind him while the Cop drove over hills of garbage. This went on for a little while with the litter brute transporting away to heal. They got him to follow and stop right under a magnetic crane where the reporter was waiting. It held the monster still for both cars to toss one more bundle of dynamite, blasting it in a hail of garbage.

Same campaign

While waiting in a penthouse to meet their new boss, the players see commandos repelling down the building on to the balcony. They toss dynamite at them and do a lot of damage. A gun fight ensues between the commandos on the balcony and the heroes in the penthouse taking cover behind furniture. Eventually the sides break up and the Cop, who is now a werewolf, takes enough damage to shift and starts tearing the enemies to shreds. The wolf then turns on his allies the mage casts, suggestion and says "sit." He fails a will save and sits.

the_tick_rules
2007-05-18, 10:49 PM
my group of a fighter, fighter/wizard, cleric, 2 rogues, scout, and 2 monks including myself (a monk) were captured by the barbarian horde and forced into gladiatorial combat. we were fighting combat rounds against a fighter and 2 barbarians, then 4 lions, then a hydra, then 2 minotaurs. we were about spent when they threw us against a warmage. his opening lightning bolt wounded 2 people, brought down our fighter into negs and woulda killed me if i hadn't evaded. i charged him and successfully grappled him. the rest of the party proceeded to maul him. his past his concentration check and did a fireburst that completely killed the other monk and i believe brought one of our rogue into negatives as well. i then pinned him cutting of most of his spells. i proceeded to bash his skull against the ground until his brains fell out. my 17 year old pretty blonde girl monk without a scratch beat this evil caster and may have saved most of the party.

Mr. Moogle
2007-05-18, 10:54 PM
I made a simalar thread, to see it click here
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41814&highlight=Dash+epic

Green Bean
2007-05-19, 07:29 AM
Well, I once played with a fighter who was at that point going in alone against several weaker mooks (not too weak, though. Combined, they would have been a challenge for the whole party) because the rest of us were tied up (long story). He took one down quickly with some decent rolling, but then the others ganged up on him. Instead of focusing on one guy, he weakened each of them, one at a time, until they all had about 10hp left. Keep in mind that by now, the fighter was surrounded by eight guy, and probably wasn't going to reach the next round. Then, he made an attack, and Great Cleaved all eight guys! The DM said that the two guys who weren't in melee range (because there wasn't room), seeing the fighter cut eight guys in half, literally crapped their pants. From then on, the DM gave the fighter an intimidation circumstance bonus against anyone who'd heard of him. It was awesome.

Elven Paladin
2007-05-19, 11:21 PM
I managed this with a rather green DM and some fast talking.

My friends and I were playing in a Forgotten Realms campaign set in the Underdark. We had a Drow Cleric, a Half-Dragon Fighter/Psionic Warrior, and a Drow Warlock (Me). We were Darkheart of the Spire, a deep dragon of supposedly enormous wealth and power.

Needless to say, we had managed to make short work of him. After the cleric and half-dragon had severely wounded him; he ran off to a far-off corner of his cave. I assured my companions that I'd track him down, and managed to do so. When I found him, he was in a sorry state. I was ready to coup-de-grace him when I had an idea.

I managed to convince old Darkheart, that if he promised me his soul that I'd turn him into a Dracolich. He fell for it. I reported back to my companions and said he was indeed dead, and then asked if we could make camp in the lair for the next few days in order to recuperate and investigate it's mysteries.

In that time I constructed a rapier from a tooth of the dying Darkheart. I managed to convince my DM to let it have the Soul Jar property, and stole the soul of Darkheart.

He was a wee bit angry. It didn't make matters better when our souls joined later in the campaign. But that's enough for now.

bdh5533
2007-05-20, 01:25 AM
My character was a level 6 druid in a low power group. we had been given low power weapons, mine was a scimitar +1 with the ability to warp wood 3 times per day. The Dm had us come to a town that was being seiged by an adult black dragon, thinking that we would witness the town's destuction and thus a plot to eventually kill said black dragon. Well the town's defenses were firing arrows into the dragon, so i stepped forward and used my sword's warp wood ability on the arrows that were arleady imbedded into the dragon. (needless to say an arrow getting warped while already inside you causes ALOT of damage)

The DM busted up laughing at his foiled plot and went ahead and gave us the XP for killing an adult dragon and saving the town. :D

Baskineli
2007-05-20, 05:44 AM
i climb up it and i take a magic missle to the back. so i draw my sword and attack at the wizard. him being a level five, and me being a level two. i got 3 natraul twentys to hit him and lob off his head.

Your DM played a very bad wizard. A wizard at level 5 doesn't MM's a fighter when it comes to 1 on 1. I'd start with mirror image, and then maybe a web - and that's level 2 spells. 3rd level would be hold person, stinking cloud, summon monster III or even a fireball.

Your DM just didn't want to kill you, and if I were your DM, I would try - who wanders alone in the dungeon anyway?

Diggorian
2007-05-20, 12:01 PM
Diggorian: That's awesome. Well played. :)

Our main campaign just ended a couple of months ago with an epic battle against a dragon. It's a good heroic story, but too long to be worth telling.

- Saph

Thanks. How about an abridged version of your last session though?

MeklorIlavator
2007-05-20, 12:44 PM
I'm playing a crusader/cleric/Ruby Night Vindicator in the Expedition to the Demonweb Pits campaign. I am the only remotely effectively played character, and the only one who has a good grasp of tactics in real life(the wizard at one point moved out in the open, near 2 orge zombies, which had recently devastated me, the party tank. Then yelled at me for getting in his way when I moved to block the zombies). Now, we are in combat with the zombies and drow(this is right after the wizard has moved out into the open) I have 3 maneuvers granted- Revitalizing strike(cure moderate wounds, contingent on a melee attack), Divine Surge(8d8 damage in addition to melee attack), and White Raven(you get a extra full round). I also have a full delayed damage pool, plus smite evil.

The formation is like this
M C B
B R PZ Z
Z Z
W

The W is the Wizard, the B is the Beguiler, The M is the monk, the C is our cleric, the B a beserker(enemy), the P is an evil paladin(the paladin of tyranny or something like that), the Z's are the zombie orges, and the R is me.

I divine surge/smite evil the Paladin, dropping her from full health to -6. Then I activate White Raven and make another attack (using revitalizing strike) on a zombie, then move to the wizard. This makes me take 2 AoO's, which brings me to about 10 hp. I proceed to prevent the wizard from dieing, and which leaves me at 0hp at the end of the battle. But in all I dropped the BBG of the encounter, and effectively dropped 2 of the Zombies, and took out a drow barbarian. Apparently, this turn took 30 minutes, so the group now measures time in "Theo turns". The Dm was astonished at hoe effective I was, mostly because he everyone else blew. I basically eviscerated the paladin and one zombie, because they both went from almost full to nothing.

RMS Oceanic
2007-05-20, 01:02 PM
My most recent session in a campaign I'm playing in went like so for my run-of-the-mill fighter:

-Natural 20 to scale a 75 foot wall of a tower and climb in through a window.
-Natural 20 untrained to move silently into a high level wizard's room.
-That didn't matter, because I set off a magical alarm and got hold person'd. Still able to talk, I rolled another untrained natural 20 on a diplomacy check to convince the guy not to kill me. He became quite helpful.
-I went to his enemy's tower to try and find the object of my quest. On another natural 20 for a strength check, I kicked in a set of 25 foot tall solid steel doors, then made the resulting fortitude save not to break my foot in the process.
-I then snuck up on the wizard and natural 20'd a bull rush attempt to shove him out his window to his death. He smacked against the wall of an opposing building 15 feet away before splatting on the ground.

Good times!

Greymarch
2007-05-20, 02:21 PM
Exploring what appears to have been some kind of celestial prison for evil outsiders we find ourselves trapped in the bottom of a pit and a pimped-out Fang Dragon is released against us. The half-orc barbarian rushes forward and attacks with his great-axe. Nat 20. Roll to confirm Nat 20. Hmm... roll to confirm auto kill... 16. Enough to hit him. Big bad Fang Dragon killed in one shot. The DM had quite the look on his face.

Another was an adventure I was DMing. The party is all lvl 1 or 2 and they've encounted the big baddie in the ruins of an elven weaponsmithy in the woods. The baddie of course is a Troll which puts the fear in a group of level 1 characters. There was a burning brazier in the middle of the room though, they manage to bull rush the Troll into a few times until the rogue fails to jump over it and catches on fire herself.

Eventually the troll has incapacitated all of the characters except the wizard who runs and hides in a small crevace that the troll just can't quite reach him at. He's spent all his good spells and has nothing left but Ray of Frost. Bam. Drops it. He crawls out and starts hacking bits of the troll apart and throwing them on the brazier. To this day this was one of the tensest moments in 3rd Ed we played I think...

EagleWiz
2007-05-20, 06:18 PM
Placing a bag with 200 flaks of acid in a adamantene golems path and running.

Quietus
2007-05-20, 08:41 PM
Placing a bag with 200 flaks of acid in a adamantene golems path and running.

I've done that before, except for me it was ... actually, it was a good story.

Players :
Myself, as Limion Mirnir, Elven cleric of Correlan Larethian
My friend, as Al'em, Elven druid, with his Bear companion Cinnamon.

We were in the underdark, dealing with a duergar invasion. They'd been coming up to the surface, chopping down trees and doing general nasty stuff, so we decided to come down and tell them not to. At one point, we walked into a hexagonal room, with four dwarf statues in it, each with battleaxes - we're talking larger-than-life statues here. Now, *I* figured something was going to happen... so did my friend. Limion and Alem even figured something was up, as we'd fought Earth Elementals that had been carved into a nice shape before.

However, one of our targets was on the other side of the room. Crossing our fingers and praying to our respective Gods, we walked into the room, and both of us were unsurprised when the four statues got up and started walking. Now, we're known by two names - Team Healing, for the obvious, and Team No Concentration, because we've never been able to make a Concentration check to save our lives. As our modifiers got better and better, our rolls got worse and worse.

Unfortunately, we've run into a few problems. First, Cinnamon is unable to make even a dent in these things, as they have damage reduction and we didn't have Magic Fang active. Second, from their positions, there isn't a single spot in the room that we can cast from without being threatened. Third, they're all of high enough CR that it should be a fair fight for us vs one of them. We later discovered that these were dwarf ancestors or something to that effect, OOC.

Needless to say, we took one hell of a beating - at one point I dropped, and Al'em managed to miraculously make his Concentration check to heal me. I came aware, but remained on the floor, because getting up would provoke an attack of opportunity. This would turn out to be the saving grace of the fight. Remaining on the floor, looking at four things that should have been able to do a number to us individually, I looked at me sheet : "35 alchemist's fire, separate sack".

Hm.

As things turned out, three of the things were standing right next to each other. I had to do SOMETHING, or we weren't going to survive this fight... For the second time this encounter, I crossed my fingers.

"Jay [the DM] - I'm going to throw my sack of alchemist's fire."

-8 penalty for being prone and it being an improvised weapon. +1 from dex, +1 from point blank shot, +3 or so from base attack. Ultimately, -3 to my modifier - but I was throwing a touch attack vs something Large sized, with mostly natural/manufactured armor, and presumably low dex. Not terrific odds... but whatcha gonna do?

So all three of us watched with bated breath as I threw that fateful d20. 19. -3, for 16 vs their touch AC. There were no AoO's against me, as they didn't consider the elf on the ground a threat. In-character, we watched as, in slow motion, the giant sack of alchemist's fire sailed through the air, smashing against the center target, who blossomed into a spectacular 35d6 fireball. At character level 5. 125 points of fire damage later, the one I'd targetted was a smoking pile of rubble, the room was filled with smoke, the two standing next to him dissappeared underground, leaving the two of us versus a single one of them. Bear + 2 divine full casters = bad day for a single Dwarf Ancestor. The other two did come back, but their hit points were reduced to the point that they, too, went down fairly easily.

... Granted, all this attracted the attention of a good three dozen vampires. One of them Dominated Al'em and caused him to run, and Cinnamon chased after. I dropped a Sanctuary and booked it as well, after making a turning attempt which they laughed at.

Thankfully, after we got away and got the chance to rest, we levelled - and I took Improved Turning. We went back and rocked the vampires, too. Buffed to our britches, we walked in and took the place by force.

mrjoegangles
2007-05-20, 09:17 PM
Heres mine.

Lvl 4 rogue possessed by demon spirit (It was in the module). Our party is carring the head around trying to find out a clue on how to destroy it. Im secretly trying to find some time alone with it so I can run away with my master.

Underground in a lizard folk village built on the ruins of an underground crypt we are doing pretty good, plenty of hit points, nice equipment (my +2 strength bow is killing on the sneak attacks.). Finnaly we catch a break and find the former lizard king in jail, who we break out and agrees to join us. With this lvl 7 NCP barbarian we are now flying through.

So the other rogue falls in a hole and we all go down to help him battle some golems. Its then that I notice that only 2 chars are up the slide and they have the skull. Nows my chance. So i grab a rope and run up the slide (great roll) and pass it to our psionst. As he is distracted tying it off I then bull rush him. My 16 strength vs his 7. He wins!!. He doesnt know whats going on so I convince him that I was trying to push him away from the lizard king who was had been advancing on him from behind (he hadnt). He stares at the lizard king grabs the skull and goes running down the hall. I yell at the lizard king now in his language (he didnt know common) that the psionist has turned on us so he gives chase. I follow.

We end up in this basement next door to our party. Ahead is the new lizard king who is grabbing a obsidian great sword off a barial mound. He grabs it and starts floating lighting shooting everywhere.

I dodge two and notice that the psionist has disappeared. The old king though has taken two bolts to the face. So I turn on him.

Wall crumbles down and whole party sees the next scene is shown to the whole party. Lizards king thrusts with his trident, I dodge around it and charge with my punch dagger. I thrust it into his neck (crit) and he crumples. I then dodge a lightning bolt and jump on the floating king who I drag into the wait-deep water below. He shorts out, as do the second wave of golems and me.

Then heal me at -8. And all are convinced that I was the hero, that the lizard king had betrayed us and that I had saved the day. By taking out two bosses both almost twice my level (at least until I tried to steal the skull again the next day and failed only cause my handle animal check sucks and the horse refused to move)

Saph
2007-05-21, 07:12 AM
Thanks. How about an abridged version of your last session though?

Well, we were playing through the "Children of Gruumsh" adventure in the Forgotten Realms. Six-person party, all level 8, though only five were there for the final battle.

The temple we'd been working through was in some demiplane with a one-way entrance, so our main goal by the time we reached the top floor was just to get out of there. The dracolich who ran the place agreed, on condition that three out of the five party members would be left behind to be sacrificed. We said no, the battle kicked off. It started okay for our team but started to go downhill as soon as the dracolich closed to melee range and started hitting with its full attacks. The cleric and the fighter were taken down in melee, the evoker wizard was knocked into negatives after his fire shield failed to get through the dragon's SR, and the bard was first paralysed then finished off with a full attack.

This just left me. My character's an enchantress wizard/loremaster who really doesn't like fights but keeps on getting dragged into them. She's not very strong, is nervous in battles, has very few offensive spells and even fewer that work on undead, but in her adventuring career she's encountered a lot of dragons and has learned a bit about what works against them and what doesn't.

So I cast two greater mirror image spells and kept running. Each round I'd fly out of the dracolich's melee range, taking an AoO in the process, and use a wand. The dracolich would move in and attack me on its turn, splintering another image, then at the start of my turn my mirror images would regenerate, restoring the two images that I'd just lost, and I'd dodge away again. This went on for round after round, the two of us flying in circles round and round the room. In between the fighting me and the dracolich were having a conversation:

Dracolich: "Stand still so I can kill you, elf."
Me: "Um, what if you let us all go instead?"
*attack, splinter, regenerate, dodge away, wand*
Dracolich: "I will make you the same offer as before. You and one of your friends can go."
Me: "What'll happen to the others?"
Dracolich: "Their essence will be absorbed to power this temple."
Me: "No. I'm not leaving my friends behind."
Dracolich: "Then die."
Me: "I don't suppose there's any chance you're getting bored of hitting me yet?"
Dracolich: "I have existed here for centuries, staring at the blizzard and meditating. You couldn't conceive of what it would take to make me bored."
Me: "So that's a no, then?"
Dracolich: "I'm getting tired of chasing you, little elf."
Me: "Well, I'm not exactly enjoying this either."
Dracolich: "I'll give you one more chance. Stop fighting and you can leave here alive."
Me: "Not without the others."
*attack, splinter, regenerate, dodge away . . . wand runs out of charges. Uh oh. I've now got nothing that can hurt the dracolich but my rapier, which I barely know how to use. I fly next to the cleric, grab his cure wand, and start trying to use that with my few ranks in Use Magic Device.*
Dracolich: "You're wasting my time. Just give up. You can't win this."
Me: "I don't care. I won't let you hurt them.
*attack, splinter, regenerate, dodge away, try to use wand*
Dracolich: "Let me make you a new offer. If you surrender and let me kill you, I'll let the others go free."
Me: "You know, a lot of people tell me I'm naive . . . but even I'm not gullible enough to fall for that one."
Dracolich: "You're just putting off the inevitable. Stand still and let me kill you."
Me: "No."
Dracolich: "I'm tired of this. I'm not going to chase you anymore. But I think I've figured out what will work instead." *stops, lands, and stands over the cleric, fighter, and evoker.* "Come here by the time I reach zero, or I start killing them. Five . . . four . . . three . . . two . . ."

It was one of those moments where you have the sickening feeling that your luck's finally run out. I was just about to shout "No!" when the bard appeared from behind, charging. My last use of the wand had healed him and he attacked the dracolich from behind, almost dying in the process but taking away its last few HP and killing it.

It was the most epic D&D battle we've ever had. I really thought my character was going to die. Having it turned around at the last minute was incredibly cool.

- Saph

Diggorian
2007-05-21, 12:40 PM
It was the most epic D&D battle we've ever had. I really thought my character was going to die. Having it turned around at the last minute was incredibly cool.

Bard for the Win?! Sweet!

Good stall tactics, too. Our Ptolus Bard used Mirror Image to distract a colossal centipede to cover our retreat in one game. I think it was one of those MM2 Megapedes (CR20), so we didnt feel bad about fleeing (APL 7).

Our campaign is nearing a close with our 9th level party vs. a PC classed Mindflayer, his grafted gnome Truenamer, and more Duergar than you can wave a torch at with homefield advantage. Hopefully I'll be able to post the story here, instead of player stupidity thread.

Just Alex
2007-05-21, 05:43 PM
L5R campaign I'm playing in. The party was tracking down supposed bandits. It turned out that the bandits were a cover for a lower-class revolution. The party puts down the peasants we find, discovering that the peasants were being magically controlled and that there were hundreds more magically controlled peasants attacking the city we just came from. Doing the proper heroic thing, the party books it back to town and splits up to save as many people as we can. While I was on the top floor of the tallest inn in town, the rest of the revolution found the other PC's, who were all outside the inn. The parties duellist spots the leader and challenges him to a duel. If PC wins, they let all the hostages go. Villain agrees but, being a shugenja, has a ronin duelist stand in. Unfortunately, the Kakita trained duellist manages to flub the duel, meaning the party is now surrounded by lots of magically angry peasants.
Now, no one has bothered to look up yet, so I'm in the clear, and I've got a clear shot at the leading shugenja. Unfortunately, I've got Doubt Kyujutsu, which means I suck mightily at archery. With that and a prayer in mind, I draw my katana and leap towards the shugenja from the third story. With a mighty leap, I narrowly make the TN to jump without hurting myself. Then, in a bout of spite, the GM makes me reroll it thanks to my Unlucky disadvantage. Ironically, a lucky roll results in even greater success than my original roll. With a mighty leap, I land cleanly, just in time to watch the shugenja cast a spell and incapacitate 2 out of the party.
On my next action, I charge through the ranks and assault the shugenja directly. With a massive blow, including several spent void, I manage to bring the villain straight from full health to dead in one attack.
With the controller of the domination spell dead, the party shugenja manages to finish the ritual to break the control spell on the peasants and the day was saved. More importantly, I get to lord over the Kakita all day about how my one strike technique is superior to his one strike.

lacesmcawesome
2007-05-21, 08:11 PM
So, my DM and I were hanging out one day, and we got bored.

He decided to make a small little dungeon crawl thing. So I get close to the end, and eventually save some guy from being tortured and stuff.

We come to a place in the tunnel where it branches into three other tunnels. The guy says to me:

Guy: I'm a farmer, and I can tell from the smell, that the left tunnel has been scorched, the middle one smells like an open field, and the one on the right is damp.

Now, I know there's a dragon down the left. I'm positive. I'm no match for it, but I still want to investigate. So I go on.

Me: Why don't you go down the left tunnel?
guy: I really don't want to.
Me: Hey! I saved you from that iron maiden, remember? You owe me.
DM: what's your alignment?
Me: Chaotic good. And I think that sending him down there will be for the greater good... yea.
DM: Ok...
Me: So get down there!
Guy: You're not the boss of me!
Me: Hey, who has the weapon here?
DM: Roll intimidate
Me: *fails abysmally*
Guy: Ooh, look at me, I'm a big scary adventurer.
Me: Summon Monster I, Giant Centipede or whatever.
Guy: Is that it? Ooh, I'm shaking in my boots.
Me: Hmm? Oh, yea, and before I forge- ACID SPLASH!
Guy: *grapples me, takes damage, and I take damage too*
Me: *punches him in the face, doing 6 nonlethal
DM: The guy reluctantly stomps down the corridor. and that is the last you hear of him.

I consider it a success... I think. I mean, I got him to go down the dragon's lair, right?

Right?

dyslexicfaser
2007-05-21, 08:53 PM
Our campaign is nearing a close with our 9th level party vs. a PC classed Mindflayer, his grafted gnome Truenamer, and more Duergar than you can wave a torch at with homefield advantage. Hopefully I'll be able to post the story here, instead of player stupidity thread.
Good luck, sir!

*waves pom-poms*

EDIT: By the way, Saph, that story is epic.

Lord_Kimboat
2007-05-22, 12:44 AM
My favorite was when I was playing my paladin - not much of a fighter but he has full plate and Improved Combat expertise. His job in combat is usually to keep an enemy or two busy until the barbarian in the party can come in and deal massive damage or to flank with the rogue.

We were investigating several disappearances when we encountered the evil behind them, a vampire. As it approached, my paladin cast prot from evil and then engaged (the barbarian was a fair way behind so even with his speed it took a while for him to catch up).

I make a truly craptacular attack at the vampire (defensive attack and full combat expertise) and the vampire laughs and looks at me. "You will be my puppet holy man." He tries dominate, I then show the DM the part in the players handbook where it says that prot from evil stops mental attacks. Both the vampire and the DM growl in frustration - even more so next round when the barbarian comes in and starts whompin' on the vampire.

Still focussed on me (holy aura you know), the vampire swings and the DM rolls a 17. "Ah, does a 27 hit?" The DM smiles smugly.

"Not even close." In inform him and then show him how with defensive fighting, combat expertise, the prot from evil and my armor, my AC vs the vamp is something like 32.

Again there is a growling noise - further exasperated by further whompage from the barbarian.

Unfortunately, this is where the DM gets smart and looks at the barbarian - "perhaps his mind is not shielded from me?" Yep, the barbarian was dominated and rolled a 29 to hit my pally. If he was evil, he would have missed but dominated by evil doesn't count. However, I rolled a nat 20 on my next strike which was a smite evil that managed to vape the vampire. We then had to follow while turned out to be a chore but a lot easier with my detect evil.

Diggorian
2007-05-22, 01:27 PM
Good luck, sir!

*waves pom-poms*

*bows*

Thank you, sir. I play an AC tank much like Kimboat's paladin. We got a two hander low AC good HP paladin tank, two clerics, one shadow mage, and one psion. Our dwarven thief-acrobat trapfinder was eaten by forementioned Mindflayer, sad since Duergar are immune to poison, so love to slather it on traps and door knobs. Squidface rubbed it in by wielding his corpse like a puppet before popping the head into meat confetti.

In revenge, I hit the flayer so hard he dropped enough for his contigent teleport to go off. Cool, but it's Int is so high the DM plays it as him making effective plans against us, since he's seen us in combat now. In this campaign success isnt measured in gold looted or enemies felled, but in HPs and allies left afterward.

Still, I wear the visor of a nimblewright that critted me half a dozen times before finally being beaten.

Lòkki Gallansbayne
2007-05-22, 05:19 PM
Does a party of level nines killing a god count? :smalltongue: To be fair, it was a god in fluff only but it was still a damn challenging opponent and I reckon it makes for a good story.

Some background: the entire campaign revolved around a legendary sword with the power to split the planes that we happened to possess the fragments of (well, most of them; we'd thrown two of the bits away on Mechanus). Various factions either wanted the sword reforged or utterly destroyed and our party had decided upon the latter, which required taking the sword to Blee, Lord of the Far Realms who was apparently the only one with the power to destroy it.

Our party comprised the following:

Alexi Moircrane, LN Human Wizard and de facto leader of the party;
Rhesus, CN Halfling Rogue who often served as the face of the party due to being the only one with a Charisma bonus (and even then only because of his Cloak of Charisma +1);
Grumbar Cystrot, CG Half-Orc Barbarian and, rather naturally, the primary damage dealer of the party;
Tanya Hawktamer, NG Human Druid, make-shift healbot and a decent meleer when wildshaped (also just about the only female in the entire campaign);
Karz Barram, CG Human Fighter who can't fight (although he did get damn good at archery towards the end of the campaign);
and finally, my character, Glebur Detrakerk, LG Dwarven Monk.

Anyway. It was the final session of the campaign and our intrepid band of adventurers found themselves on the border between Limbo and the Far Realms, in the throne room of the Lord of the Far Realms himself, Blee. It was a large, church-like building with one big, main room containing a pillar in each corner, a pool of shifting colour in the centre (we were on the side nearest the entrance) and Blee sitting on a floating throne at the far end of the room. The party presented the sword to Blee and humbly (one does not piss off a god in his home plane) requested that he destroy it. Blee, however, had other ideas: for, you see, the sword was his and he'd much rather keep it. We refuse to leave and so he summons his avatar before splitting it into its four constituent aspects - a Ninja, a Pirate, a Zombie and a Robot - which he unleashes upon us.

Combat ensues. It is important to note that this is about our fourth or fifth fight without resting, although thankfully various bits of DM fiat mean that our casters still have a good portion of their spells prepared. The party pretty much divides into two, with the Barbarian, the Druid and the Wizard handling the Zombie and the Robot and the Monk, the Fighter and the Rogue dancing around the otherside of the battlefield playing who can flank who with the Ninja and the Pirate. It is an extremely tough fight, with Grumbar almost killed at one point due to a combination of the Zombie's paralysis ability and the very, very strong Robot's greataxe, but after much struggle we manage to wear them down.

However, just as it looks like we might be able to win, Blee decides that some slightly more direct divine intervention is required and shifts into his battle form, that of a large, winged humanoid and the pool in the centre turns into a turbulent, bubbling black morass as the building begins to shake and tremble. We just about manage to dispatch the aspects of his avatar in time for Blee himself to fly over to us and starting kicking some PC ass with his huge staff. We hang in bravely, but Blee naturally has buffs out the wazoo and DR and SR make it hard for us to do much else but scratch at him, meanwhile he's steadily wearing us down despite the best efforts of Ms. Hawktamer to keep us alive.

To make matters worse, as the battle wore on the fortress began to crumble and the ground around the pool began to collapse so there's now a steadily growing hole full of something very, very bad in the middle of the arena. Sensing that we may not get out of this one alive, Glebur decides that if we're going down, we're taking the sword with us. The thing about Glebur is thanks to being a monk with the Run feat and a pair of Boots of Springing and Striding, he is ludicrously fast. Taking a full-round run, the little Dwarf dashes for all his worth to other side of the room where the sword fragments are. Unfortunately, he has to go around the gaping abyss and can't quite reach the bag containing the fragments in one round.

Now, Blee hasn't quite twigged what Glebur's plan is due to being preoccupied fending off the entire rest of the party. However, if Glebur grabs the bag Blee's sure to figure it out - and by now Glebur is very low on HP and has run out of uses of his Wholeness of Body ability - so that gives Glebur one round to grab the bag (move action), get to the pit (two move actions) and drop it in (free action). Luckily, the DM decides that Glebur can grab the bag while moving if he succeeds on a touch attack against the bag's AC. I've had pretty bad luck with rolls all campaign (I once took control of a high-level NPC Fighter/Exotic Weapon Master in a fight against a bunch of mooks and proceeded to miss every single attack I made), but I pull off the roll. Glebur runs to the throne, scoops up the bag, sprints to the edge of the pit as fast as his stubby Dwarven legs will carry him and tosses the bag into the pit, destroying the sword once and for all (apart from the two bits we left on Mechanus...).

Huzzah, the day is saved! You would think so, but our intrepid band of adventurers now have a very pissed off god to contend with. Blee rises up into the air and flies over to Glebur - but not without provoking an AoO from the Druid-Bear, which she manages to turn into a very painful critical - and drops the noble Monk in one hit. Not enough to kill him, but enough to put him out of action and by now the pit extends almost the entire width of the hall and so Tanya can't reach him to get her heal on.

That is, except for a little spell our Wizardly friend, Alexi, is fond of: Begign Transportation. The Wizard casts this spell, causing the Monk to instantaneously switch places with Grumbar. Also, as it happens Rhesus had also run towards the throne (though nowhere near as quickly) to serve as a contingency just in case Glebur had failed in his task. This leaves the now weakened Blee to face off against our party's two best melee damage dealers.

The half-Orc swings his mighty Greataxe, crackling with electricity, and delivers a powerful blow to the enraged god, but still not enough to kill him. That leaves just the poor little Halfling Rogue and his flaming shocking adamantine rapier left before the god's next attack, which will probably result in the death of Grumbar and Rhesus.

The Rogue is a move action away from flanking, but low strength and no sneak damage he probably doesn't stand a chance of doing anything other than tickling the BBEG. So he tumbles around to the opposite side of Blee from Grumbar and sneak attacks for all his worth... then proceeds to roll a critical hit for absolutely ludicrous damage (even though sneak damage isn't multiplied) and drops the Lord of the Far Realm. A god, killed by a stab in the back from a little Halfling wielding something that Blee in his current form might use as a toothpick.

The party rejoices, but they aren't quite out of the fire yet. Blee crashes to the ground, dropping his staff and, with his last breath, croaking: "Wait. The boundaries of this realm are now dissolving. Borders between realities are disintegrating. You may have defeated me, but I have spent too long shaping this realm for it to all have been for nothing. Know that whoever wields this staff has complete dominion over chaos. Whoever claims this staff will become the new Lord of the Far Realm."

True to his words, Blee's throne room begins to disintegrate and even the plane itself seems to destablise, with portals to various locations throughout the multiverse opening and closing randomly. The four party members opposite the pit from Blee seize the opportunity to leap through a portal to Mechanus (except for poor dying Glebur, who has to be dragged through by the Druid), leaving Rhesus and Grumbar standing over the corpse of the dead god, his staff lying invitingly between them. Will the Rogue use his lightning fast dexterity to grab it first, or whill the mighty Barbarian snatch it from his grasp? No: as it happens, the two grew to be very good friends throughout the course of their adventurers and so decide to both grab the staff in unison, jointly becoming the new Lords of the Far Realm.

Yeah.

It was a pretty fun session. :smallbiggrin: