PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing a class

katamari
2015-09-28, 07:40 AM
Hi, I'm pretty new to D&D and I need some suggestion to choose a class that can take advantage of these rolls: 14-12-16-17-10-9
We're going to play Tiranny of Dragons and my party is composed by:

20 Strenght Barbarian
Really low stat Monk
Duelist Fighter
GWF Paladin

My DM said that we'll not need a supporting/healing class.
Could you help me find something that complete my group and take the best of these rolls.
Ah, no multiclassing available, so no dipping.
I've considered Rogue Arcane Trickster: Int Ability Checks, Stealth etc. etc.. Bard College of Lore These rolls are too high for a Bard, but I'm not really sold in these 2 archetypes.
PLZ HALP!!!

P.S. My English sucks, sorry
Edit: Dargons is wrong, Dragons is right. (Formatting Errors)

TopCheese
2015-09-28, 08:30 AM
Hi, I'm pretty new to D&D and I need some suggestion to choose a class that can take advantage of these rolls: 14-12-16-17-10-9

20 Strenght Barbarian
Really low stat Monk
Duelist Fighter
GWF Paladin

Could you help me find something that complete my group and take the best of these rolls.
I've considered Rogue Arcane Trickster: Int Ability Checks, Stealth etc. etc.. Bard College of Lore These rolls are too high for a Bard, but I'm not really sold in these 2 archetypes.
PLZ HALP!!!

Urchin Half Elf Dragon Sorcerer
Str: 9
Dex: 18
Con: 15
Int: 10
Wis: 12
Cha: 18

Go for control and explosions. Take careful spell and quicken spell (or twin spell).

You can pick up some sneaky spells if you like but you fill a huge hole in the party (elemental damage and controlling).

PoeticDwarf
2015-09-28, 08:34 AM

20 Strenght Barbarian
Really low stat Monk
Duelist Fighter
GWF Paladin

PLZ HALP!!!

If you play Tiranny of Dragons you do need a healing class, but I'd say that Lore bard is the best because all others already have an extra attack and a Bard can do anything you want.

RealCheese
2015-09-28, 10:35 AM
If you play Tiranny of Dragons you do need a healing class, but I'd say that Lore bard is the best because all others already have an extra attack and a Bard can do anything you want.

Agreed.

And your rolls are not too high for a bard. A lore bard makes for an excellent skillmonkey with a high charisma and one other stat (i prefer dex) also well above average.

TopCheese
2015-09-28, 10:42 AM
If the DM says you won't need healing or support spells (bless or whatever) then they probably have a plan for it.

NPC, DMNPC, or lots of healing options or whatever

Theodoxus
2015-09-28, 02:47 PM
I'd definitely go with an arcanist. Sorc (Favored Soul, if allowed, for a teensy bit of healing - never hurts, plus extra attack and frontline capability (everyone stands toe to toe, spread the hurt!) along with all the goodies a sorc brings.

Bard is also excellent, more party synergy, less at will oomph, but everyone will appreciate the attack disad your Mocking will provide.

Wizard would bring the most potential utility - rituals alone will allow a lot of utility; and then your specialization can really help your melee guys, depending on what you decide to go with.

Then there's warlock, which would synergize well with the fighter and monk asking for short rests. With Tome, you'd get potential access to the wizard rituals that help the party, along with other rituals (provided you found them) that make downtime more productive.

Anyway you slice it, arcane utility will definitely help the make up currently presented. Grab Urchin or Criminal for roguish skills (if they aren't already possessed by another player) and you're set - no matter what the campaign throws at you, you'll have something productive to do.

katamari
2015-09-29, 05:59 AM
Thank you for all the suggestions.
I've choosen to make a Bard, I was concerned that could be underpowered but your opinions changed my mind. I've considered the Sorcerer Favoured Soul, but unfortunately is not allowed.
My only hope is that my noob fellows adventurers don't mock me for the choice and that I can show them how useful is.
Thanks.

Citan
2015-09-29, 10:30 AM
Hi!

Everyone answered already, so I can only plus your Lore Bard choice.

It's an excellent class, synergize well with your teammates and you'll have ample choice to build it along the road, picking up any kind of spells as needed to fit your playstyle and teammate's progression.

Only mandatory choice is Dissonnant Whispers (opportunity attack for your fellows) and Healing Word (you may not need a dedicated support/healer build, but having a healing spell at the ready can't be wrong).

My personal suggestion if you want to have fun and are not afraid of management: Conjure * spells with Magic Secrets. One spell to fill the support, offense and defense role all at once. :)

EDIT: Didn't see your last sentence. Don't worry, once you will have saved their asses two or three times by making a BBEG miss a lethal blow by an inche (Cutting Words), convince the local milice to pardon their bar fight through Expert Persuasion or avoiding them fall unconscious with Healing Word, they will know better than mocking you. ^^