PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Lightning Based Warforged gish (3.5)

Val666
2015-09-28, 12:55 PM
Hi there guys, I'll be joining a new game soon and I'm looking for a warforged electricity based gish. I'd would to use the Shocking Fist feat with Beast Strike for unarmed attacks and also have some kind of electricity magic avilable to do some range damage. Some weeks ago someone posted a thread about an Ice magic based gish which I'm using as a base.

I have access to this books: Core, Eberron, Forgotten Realms, Complete Champion/Mage/etc.
Champions of Ruin, Cityscape, Ghostwalk, Frostburn, 3.5 Index, Lords of Madness, Races of Stone, Races of the Dragon, Magic Item and Spell Compendiums, Arms and Equipment Guide, BoED, BoVD, Tome of Magic, Draconomicon, Dragon Magic, Drow of the Underdark, Dungeonscape, Libris Mortis, Manual of the Planes, Oriental Adventures, Planar Handbook, Races of the Wild, Savage Species, Stronghold builder's Guidebook, Tome of Battle, and Unearthed Arcana.

GM also said that if it is in "that site" it can be used. Im not looking for the most powerful build but a funny to play cool build that can stand in damage output and maybe be very mobile. Starting level is 5 and almost any template can be used. Thank you ahead of time. Have a nice day c:

GilesTheCleric
2015-09-28, 01:01 PM
Please be careful about linking to copyright information. The site you're talking about effectively has every book, so you could just say you have access to every book instead (sans Dragon material and Dragon Compendium).

Vhaidara
2015-09-28, 01:02 PM
Well, there is a pretty easy build for a lightning based warforged warrior that plays nice wih unarmed strikes. Since Tome of Battle is on the table, you could use a Swordsage with a focus on Desert Wind, but instead call it Rising Storm and deal electricity damage.. Mix in a bit of Setting Sun, which has a strong focus on trips and throws (tornado force winds, anyone?), and you have a solid setup. Perhaps go into a modified Jade Phoenix Mage (Topaz Behir Mage, or something, I'm blanking on iconic monsters that use electricity for some reason), if you really want to gish.

ComaVision
2015-09-28, 01:03 PM
Please be careful about linking to copyright information. The site you're talking about effectively has every book, so you could just say you have access to every book instead (sans Dragon material and Dragon Compendium).

Dragon Compendium is on a certain site that we aren't supposed to talk about.

Val666
2015-09-28, 01:08 PM
I'm sorry about writing private content :smalleek::smalleek::smalleek: Should I edit the post?

Keledrath your idea is very awesome! Would you give me more details about it c:?

Dread_Head
2015-09-28, 01:15 PM
A few suggestions:
A cleric, druid or spirit shaman caster going into the Stormlord prestige class gains some reasonable lightning effects, you're kinda tied into throwing javelins for them though. Combine with Hurling Charge, Tormtor School and Gloves of Endless Javelins for added fun. Druid (and thus Spirit shaman) have more electricity based spells on their lists for the casting side.

An Incarnate / Caster / Sapphire Hierarch or Soul Caster. This gives you the lightning gauntlets which can be used at will for an electricity damage touch attack and with the hands bind this can be channelled through a weapon. A one level dip in Incarnate and the feats Bonus Essentia and Open Least Chakra (Hands) will let you channel scaling electricity damage through a melee attack so you could combine this with one or more of the other options.

A simple build would just be Duskblade and channel electricity spells through your weapon such as shocking grasp. You could go Incarnate 1 / Duskblade X and channel both lightning gauntlets and shocking grasp through your punches for lots of electricity damage.

Fouredged Sword
2015-09-28, 01:30 PM
I could also see a shocking fist focused duskblade at lower levels. In the 3-8 range it works really well. A large handful of pearls of power will keep you in the money as far as spell slots are concerned.

You can stack two castings by holding the charge on the first spell, then delivering both with a channeled strike. You can use ether a natural weapon, unarmed strike, or touch attack to deliver 2xCL electrical damage.

ComaVision
2015-09-28, 01:31 PM
I'm sorry about writing private content :smalleek::smalleek::smalleek: Should I edit the post?

Yes, edit out the URL before wrath is visited upon you.

Vhaidara
2015-09-28, 02:02 PM
Well, the switch from Desert Wind to Rising Storm is easy. Cross out every mention of "fire" and replace it with "electricity", and change some names.

The Topaz [Creature] (seriously people, help me) Mage would probably draw maneuvers from Rising Storm and Setting Sun, rather than Desert Wind and Devoted Spirit.

Firebird Stance and Emerald Immolation really just need the same changes as Rising Storm: Change "fire" to "electricity"

Red Fel
2015-09-28, 02:11 PM
Well, the switch from Desert Wind to Rising Storm is easy. Cross out every mention of "fire" and replace it with "electricity", and change some names.

The Topaz [Creature] (seriously people, help me) Mage would probably draw maneuvers from Rising Storm and Setting Sun, rather than Desert Wind and Devoted Spirit.

Firebird Stance and Emerald Immolation really just need the same changes as Rising Storm: Change "fire" to "electricity"

"Jade Garuda Mage." Keep Jade; green lightning is awesome. Firebird Stance becomes Thunderbird Stance, Emerald Immolation becomes Emerald Conduction. I'd keep Devoted Spirit; devotion to the cause is part of the class concept. Although switching Desert Wind for "Rising Storm" seems quite reasonable.

Nifft
2015-09-28, 02:22 PM
For a Gish, I'd want the ability to cast Lord of the Sky, preferably as a persistent effect. It slows down enemies and gives a free short-range attack every turn.

In Eberron in specific, there's a way for a Dragonmark-bearer to ignore the Dazed condition. That could mean Born of the Three Thunders gains value. But you're a Warforged and I don't think you can get a Dragonmark, so that's too bad.

Can you add more Slam attacks with the Totemist class? If so, you might want to go Totemist 2 / Wizard 3 / Soulcaster 10 and use wraithstrike + Shocking Fist on all your Slam attacks.

Vhaidara
2015-09-28, 02:33 PM
"Jade Garuda Mage." Keep Jade; green lightning is awesome. Firebird Stance becomes Thunderbird Stance, Emerald Immolation becomes Emerald Conduction. I'd keep Devoted Spirit; devotion to the cause is part of the class concept. Although switching Desert Wind for "Rising Storm" seems quite reasonable.

Eh, I've always had an association between electrical damage and topaz since Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance.

And I don't know what devotion you are talking about. The Jade Garuda Mage doesn't have any of that silly "13 ever reincarnated masters" fluff that those Jade Phoenix Mage guys keep babbling about. We seek to emulate a storm, and throwing people several hundred feat seems much more appropriate for that :smalltongue:

Nihilarian
2015-09-28, 02:54 PM
Shocking Fist has to be made with a slam attack, Beast Strike just adds your slam damage to your Unarmed Strike attack. Unless your DM gives the ok, they aren't compatible (though nothing stops you from making a full attack with unarmed strikes and using the slam as a secondary weapon).

If you're going Unarmed with slam as a secondary, you want a Monk/Manifester with the Tashalatora feats. Psion for more lightning, Psychic Warrior for more punching. If you just want to slam, I'd probably agree with Jade Phoenix Mage.