View Full Version : RAW question turned RAI debate regarding Illumian Words

alaalba_123
2015-09-28, 01:00 PM
So, I asked this question over in the Simple RAW thread, and had a contention over the answer.

Q 473

Can an Illumian prepared caster with Naenkrau and Vaulkrau leave a slot unfilled for the DC bonus, then later use it to spontaneously cast one of their prepared spells?

A 473

No. An illumian only gets Naen or Vaul at first level and krau at second level. He cannot have Naenkrau and Vaulkrau.

Contention

On attaining 2nd level in any class, an Illumian gains a second different power sigil, and the bonus granted by each power sigil increases to +2. Depending on the combination of power sigils she chooses, an Illumian gains one or more extra special abilities

Also,

While illumian power sigils are useful to most characters,multiclass characters gain the maximum benefit from Illumian words.

So, a multiclass Illumian could in fact have both.

Re: A 473 Contention

alaalba_123, I believe you're misreading this ability. The text states "2nd level in any class", not "2nd level in every class". You gain the benefit once, when you attain 2nd level in any class.

Re: A 473 Contention.

It is not quite unambiguous that the any in this case means any one, but you cannot get a second sigil if you already have a second one. You could only get a third one. The rules do not allow you to get a third one even if you get a second level in a different class.

While it is true that you can't gain multiple "second"s as pointed out by Andezzar, the text does specifically say you can gain multiple Illumian Words.

an Illumian gains one or more extra special abilities.(see Illumian Words, below)

There are 15 possible combinations of sigils, and 15 Illumian words. The only way I can see that the "or more" in that text makes any sense is if you can get multiple sigils, and therefore multiple Illumian Words.

I'd be interested in hearing other interpretations on this. Also, if my interpretation is correct, would that particular combination of Words work together, as per my original question?

Psyren
2015-09-28, 01:16 PM
"gains a second different power sigil" seems unambiguous to me. You only ever get two sigils, no matter how many classes you hit level 2 in. Sure the rules don't say you don't get a third one, but they don't say you do either, and that's the more important of the two.

alaalba_123
2015-09-28, 01:20 PM
"gains a second different power sigil" seems unambiguous to me. You only ever get two sigils, no matter how many classes you hit level 2 in. Sure the rules don't say you don't get a third one, but they don't say you do either, and that's the more important of the two.

I will accept this interpretation if somebody can explain the "or more" part of the text.

Psyren
2015-09-28, 01:31 PM
I will accept this interpretation if somebody can explain the "or more" part of the text.

"one or more" - two is indeed more than one, and that's how many sigils you get.

torrasque666
2015-09-28, 01:42 PM
"one or more" - two is indeed more than one, and that's how many sigils you get.
But the "One or More" part isn't in reference to the sigil abilities, but the Word abilities.

alaalba_123
2015-09-28, 01:45 PM

But, it calls it out as one or more special abilities based on your combination of sigils, then specifically references Illumian Words (which all grant a special ability) in parentheses. By the interpretation of 2 sigils maximum ever, you get a maximum of 1 Illumian word.

Either way, this is clearly a case of bad editing.

EDIT:Ninja'd

Jeff the Green
2015-09-28, 01:58 PM
RAI is always going to be speculative, but I'm inclined to believe that they're only supposed to have one word.

Originally, this was not the case. They were originally LA +1 and got more sigil every four levels. (Or something like that; I can't find the RoD preview.) The wording implying they only get one word was added, and so it seems most likely that the stuff implying the opposite is a relic of the first draft that wasn't caught.

alaalba_123
2015-09-28, 02:14 PM
RAI is always going to be speculative, but I'm inclined to believe that they're only supposed to have one word.

Originally, this was not the case. They were originally LA +1 and got more sigil every four levels. (Or something like that; I can't find the RoD preview.) The wording implying they only get one word was added, and so it seems most likely that the stuff implying the opposite is a relic of the first draft that wasn't caught.

Yup, bad editing. This was mainly for a TO build anyway, but I think I'm probably going to actually play an Illumian at some point. For my TO, I think I'm going to use the stricter one, as that's the one more likely to be accepted by any given DM (Though any DM letting this particular build into a campaign is asking for trouble). As for when I eventually play an Illumian (with a saner build), I'll leave it to the DM to decide. Though, I may bookmark this thread, to show them the arguments for and against.

Thanks for the help, everybody.

Psyren
2015-09-28, 05:06 PM
But the "One or More" part isn't in reference to the sigil abilities, but the Word abilities.

It just says "abilities" when I read it - not differentiating between word abilities and sigil abilities. Thus you do get "more than one ability."