PDA

View Full Version : [Drop Dead Studios] Call for Spheres of Power Freelancers!

Adam Meyers
2015-09-28, 03:55 PM
Hey everyone, Adam Meyers here, creator of Spheres of Power.

With all my attention set on Skybourne these days, I'm sending out a general call for freelancers to help us develop some Spheres of Power related products, including a book on using Spheres of Power with Mythic Adventures, and a series of handbooks expanding each of the various spheres (the blaster's handbook for Destruction, the summoner's handbook for Conjuration, etc.) The GitP forums have done some wonderful things with the Spheres of Power system, and some of you have already designed things for us before, so we wanted to announce this here first to see who was interested.

Each of these products would be between 10,000 and 15,000 words long (paying 2.5 cents per word), and the handbooks would include archetypes, new talents, alternate rules, etc. I work with all designers closely sending feedback and direction as needed, but ultimately I'm interested in what ideas you can bring to the table on how to play/expand each of the various spheres.

If you're interested, please leave a comment here and I'll shoot you a PM with more details!

Der_DWSage
2015-09-28, 03:57 PM
I'd definitely like to know more, and would be more than willing to assist with whatever's needed.

Vhaidara
2015-09-28, 04:38 PM
I'd be interested. I've been playing around with Sphere conversions for the new Occult classes.

Mehangel
2015-09-28, 04:44 PM
I also would be interested.

GalvinStarlight
2015-09-28, 05:30 PM
This sounds super neat. I really enjoy what you guys do and I'd love to be able to help out.

AmberVael
2015-09-28, 05:44 PM
As someone who has been looking into the freelance scene, I'd at least be interested to see what you have in mind, and I'd certainly consider giving it a shot.

Kira_the_5th
2015-09-28, 05:47 PM
Sure. I could really use a bit more freelance experience, and it gives me an excellent reason to master Spheres.

Von Flad
2015-09-28, 08:51 PM
I would like to throw my hat into this as well. Definitely want to hear more.

Palanan
2015-09-28, 11:39 PM
I'd be interested to hear more as well.

Mathias1313
2015-09-29, 06:15 AM
I'd like to assist, especially in regards to certain spheres. Plz send any info. :)

stack
2015-09-29, 06:19 AM
I've written out a few ideas already, never sent them in as they are unpolished. Probably could contribute a bit here and there, though that might bias the objectivity of my guides. Interested, even if it's just unpaid pitching in with concepts/review.

AmberVael
2015-09-29, 11:26 AM
I've written out a few ideas already, never sent them in as they are unpolished. Probably could contribute a bit here and there, though that might bias the objectivity of my guides. Interested, even if it's just unpaid pitching in with concepts/review.

I know I'm always open for a bit of collaboration.

And speaking of, I was thinking it might be useful to have a google document of who all is working and what they're working on, perhaps with expected deadlines too? It would help keep track of what is available, at minimum. Something like an IRC channel might be cool too, to make it a little more like a communal effort and less like a ton of different people working on different things.

Vhaidara
2015-09-29, 11:29 AM
I'm down for a Google doc for organization, especially since I have several ideas I could go with.

Oh, and if anyone wants to conspire, best way to get in touch with me is usually text chat over Skype. Same name the world over.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-09-29, 02:00 PM
I'm interested to at least see what your wanting. Not sure if I can provide, but who knows.

Adam Meyers
2015-09-29, 03:30 PM
MesiDoomstalker, it says I can't send you any private messages because your cache is full.

As for everyone else, so far we've got Alteration, Conjuration, Dark, Death, Life, Nature, Telekinesis, and Time taken care of, which is awesome.

As for collaboration, the easiest way to do it that I can find would be through a private Facebook group; everyone could link to whatever google docs they're using, conversation could exist in threads, and everyone who wants help of a second opinion can get it right there. Barring that, a Skype group could be used but it's not as good at organizing conversations, or I could create a private forum on dropdeadstudios.com, which would work great but it's more work on my end so I'd like to avoid that option if there is another. What do you think?

stack
2015-09-29, 03:44 PM
I have some ideas down for destruction, though the archetypes are pretty much just brainstorms now, not even written down. Blast shapes, on the other hand, I have a few of.

Der_DWSage
2015-09-29, 04:01 PM
I know that VonFlad is wanting Destruction, as well. (He, GalvinStarlight and I are roommates.)

As for collaboration, I'd certainly prefer a Skype group or just making a thread here on GiantITP (so we can get feedback as we go through things) as I avoid Facebook like the plague-but I'd be willing to make one if that's the option folks go with.

Vhaidara
2015-09-29, 04:11 PM
I'm cool with any and all, though I barely check Facebook and non-Giant forums.

AmberVael
2015-09-29, 04:25 PM
I know that VonFlad is wanting Destruction, as well. (He, GalvinStarlight and I are roommates.)

As for collaboration, I'd certainly prefer a Skype group or just making a thread here on GiantITP (so we can get feedback as we go through things) as I avoid Facebook like the plague-but I'd be willing to make one if that's the option folks go with.

I tend to have the same reaction to Facebook.

I admit to being nervous about doing something on GitP, but that's mostly a stage-frightish sort of fear. Dreamscarred has proven that its a pretty awesome idea, so maybe its best to do that, just keep things open and readily available to everyone. Given that the books are sort of a group and also of smaller size, a single thread for the sphere handbooks might be better than spamming a ton of them out there. Probably keeps things more active, too.

Der_DWSage
2015-09-29, 05:14 PM
Well then, in the interest of getting the ball rolling, I started a thread for us in the Homebrew forum. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?446669-Freelancers-of-Power-Spheres-of-Power-Project) Participation isn't required, but it can't hurt. I'll try and keep things as organized as possible there.

Adam1949
2015-09-29, 05:29 PM
I would like to help! I already have something weird already created for fun (a way to combine DSP Psionics with Spherecasting, seen here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/18GY_zpeIaLnRM36-E_dAWr1a3x25au5g238i_xK64VU/edit?usp=sharing)), but I would also enjoy working on a project for things like the Alteration, Nature, and/or Weather Spheres.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-09-29, 06:05 PM
Ah fudge nuggets. I cleared up some space. :smallredface: I have no problem with a facebook group. Though an organized Google Drive folder for rough drafts and final submissions, etc, might be good.

Desril
2015-09-29, 06:35 PM
Haven't ever actually worked on this sort of thing before, but I'd be willing to attempt helping out with Mythic Spheres.

spikeof2010
2015-09-29, 07:18 PM
I'd like to participate! I'd like to play around with Creation. Also I'd be the most comfy with a Skype group.

Afgncaap5
2015-09-29, 11:16 PM
I'd be interested in helping out. I've wanted a chance to do something with spheres for a while now. Sounds fun.

Amechra
2015-10-01, 01:55 PM
May I offer my hand at this, despite the fact that I do not currently own Spheres of Power?

I would be interested in expanding Illusion or Mind...

Kiton2
2015-10-01, 02:22 PM
... Maybe... Warp?

MesiDoomstalker
2015-10-01, 02:25 PM
Actually, I just took Warp. Sorry bud :smallfrown:

stack
2015-10-01, 02:29 PM
Destruction is mine, all mine!

And my current efforts are only 800 words. I need to get writing.:smalleek:

Vhaidara
2015-10-01, 02:45 PM
May I offer my hand at this, despite the fact that I do not currently own Spheres of Power?

I mean, I think you'll struggle to expand the system without access to the basics.But not my place to stop you.

I'm going to solidify my claim on Conjuration now. I've had some good ideas for solid archetypes.

Nimor
2015-10-02, 06:18 PM
Hello.

I am interested but unsure of whats spheres are still untouched.

Mehangel
2015-10-02, 06:28 PM
Hello.

I am interested but unsure of whats spheres are still untouched.

Unless I am mistaken Divination, Fate, Illusion, Light, Mind, Protection, War and Warp are all that remain at the moment...

Palanan
2015-10-02, 08:16 PM
I've been PMing with Adam about doing Light.

Novawurmson
2015-10-02, 10:31 PM
I prefer email and Google docs, but I'd be willing to try Skype or a private forum. I'm not really on Facebook. I think publicly posting WIP material before any kind of internal review is asking for trouble.

Afgncaap5
2015-10-03, 02:37 PM
I keep Facebook open all the time in case people message me there, so it'd be convenient... but it sounds like a pretty unpopular option.

Google Docs is okay, but I've had weird issues where keeping it open leads to my computers slowing down. Skype... has no problems I can think of? I don't use Skype often, but I do use it.

Unless I am mistaken Divination, Fate, Illusion, Light, Mind, Protection, War and Warp are all that remain at the moment...

Actually, I took Mind a bit ago in a PM.

You could always buy the book here (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/129448/Spheres-of-Power) and do some quick catching up. It was just on sale a few days ago, but I think that was part of the Drivethru RPG d20 Sale, and that ended in September, I believe. Still, the sale price only knocked three bucks or so off the price, so it's not too bad as it is.

Der_DWSage
2015-10-03, 06:40 PM
Alright, there's a good number of people wanting to start a Skype group-let's make some progress on that. Either PM me your Skype name or contact UATSorune, and let's get that going.

Adslahnit
2015-10-03, 08:26 PM
I would be interested in doing freelance work for Spheres of Power. I do not have a portfolio of previous Pathfinder homebrew to showcase, but I would like to think that my grasp of the system (and the foibles and pitfalls of optimization thereof) is solid enough.

I would be interested in writing a handbook for the Divination, Fate, or Mind sphere, with Divination as my top selection. Would any of those already be taken?

The only "professional" RPG work I have done previously was being a loose part of the development team for an RPG that was just published today (Jim McGarva's Strike! RPG), and even then it was a very loose relationship with the main author. I have not the foggiest idea of what goes into proper, professional freelancing.

If you would be willing to accept me as a freelancer despite all this, I would be happy to work under you.

Mehangel
2015-11-05, 09:23 PM
Just to let everyone know, the first of the handbooks is out on PDF at DriveThruRPG. You can find the Nature Sphere Geomancing Handbook, written by yours truly here (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/165487/The-Geomancers-Handbook?src=newest).

stack
2015-11-06, 08:59 AM
Just to let everyone know, the first of the handbooks is out on PDF at DriveThruRPG. You can find the Nature Sphere Geomancing Handbook, written by yours truly here (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/165487/The-Geomancers-Handbook?src=newest).

Congratulations!
Now how am I going to find time to update the Orrery with all the new stuff?

Novawurmson
2015-11-06, 09:25 AM
Congratulations!
Now how am I going to find time to update the Orrery with all the new stuff?

Make us all write the guides to our handbooks. :smalltongue:

Vhaidara
2015-11-06, 09:30 AM
Maybe it would be better if we all paired up with someone else and wrote the guide to our partner's handbook. Writer's bias might be a bit of an issue otherwise.

stack
2015-11-07, 09:25 AM
I have actually had to rewrite abilities when I sat back and thought about their ratings in a guide. In fact, I need to comb through my entire book in 'handbook rating' mode before I finish it.something can very easily seem like a good idea when you write it, the. You realize it's yellow at best later on.

Novawurmson
2015-11-07, 09:31 AM
I have actually had to rewrite abilities when I sat back and thought about their ratings in a guide. In fact, I need to comb through my entire book in 'handbook rating' mode before I finish it.something can very easily seem like a good idea when you write it, the. You realize it's yellow at best later on.

That's actually the main mode I go into when reviewing/editing my own or other people's work: What would I rate this as in a guide? A few situational abilities are fine, but you can see what needs buffed or nerfed more clearly when you think about whether you'd recommend it to someone.

stack
2015-11-07, 10:08 AM
Yeah, being on the other side of the rating game is weird at first.

Rokku
2015-11-23, 07:27 AM
Dang, if you're still looking for freelancers I'd be interested. I have experience working on Kyoudai Games' 3PP Thunderscape line. I'm Chris Koch, you should see my name in the credits of the core book and several supplements.

Looking at spheres that haven't been claimed, Warp is the most interesting to me.

Edit: Oh hey maybe I should link Thunderscape so people can actually see that it's a real thing http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/6067/Kyoudai-Games?filters=0_0_44235_0_0

khadgar567
2015-11-23, 08:02 AM
Dang, if you're still looking for freelancers I'd be interested. I have experience working on Kyoudai Games' 3PP Thunderscape line. I'm Chris Koch, you should see my name in the credits of the core book and several supplements.

Looking at spheres that haven't been claimed, Warp is the most interesting to me.

Edit: Oh hey maybe I should link Thunderscape so people can actually see that it's a real thing http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/6067/Kyoudai-Games?filters=0_0_44235_0_0
thanks for link drop but I think direct pdf to one of your works may more helpfull to others to evaluate work

Rokku
2015-11-23, 08:06 AM
thanks for link drop but I think direct pdf to one of your works may more helpfull to others to evaluate work

Sure, I'll supply Adam with a sample.

stack
2015-11-23, 10:52 AM
I think war is the only one not spoken for at this point, unless someone has dropped.