PDA

View Full Version : Monster of the Masses, Come Join In!

Pages : 1 2 [3]

magic_unlocked
2007-10-13, 05:31 PM
I agree with FoeHammer. Let's go crazy with this munster!

Anxe
2007-10-13, 05:41 PM
Well we're done with special qualities I think. Time to move on to SKILLS!!! This one's gonna be boring.

magic_unlocked
2007-10-13, 10:42 PM
Indeed, I believe that we are done with the special qualities of this little beastie. As to skills... why not calculate skill points based on its int mod + the standard skill points that a construct gets per HD and go from there?

Anxe
2007-10-13, 11:30 PM
It gets 96 skill points and the max ranks it can have are 16. So 16 maxed out skills or some other more complicated combination. I suggest Hide, Move Silently, Spot, and Listen as they are useful for every type of creature in ambush situations. Because this one can fly and is incorporeal it doesn't really need any physical skills. Some mental ones like knowledge, concentration, and survival would be nice for it to have, but not as necessary as the four I listed above.

magic_unlocked
2007-10-14, 12:30 AM
Yeah, I like the four skills you listed above. Perhaps it should have survival as well? Along with a track feat, it is s'posed to be an inevitable, right? Or is I getting ahead of myself?

TheLogman
2007-10-14, 08:16 AM
I propose 16 ranks in Diplomacy and 16 in Use Magical Device.

Anxe
2007-10-14, 09:48 AM
How is this thing gonna be using scrolls? I vote for
Spot, Listen, Hide, Move Silently, Survival, and Diplomacy.

magic_unlocked
2007-10-14, 07:46 PM
Hmm... what about these: Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, KNowledge (the planes), Listen, Sense Motive, Survival and Use Magic Device? I'll leave the actual ranks themselves to someone else xD

FoeHammer
2007-11-02, 04:19 PM
Hmm... what about these: Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, KNowledge (the planes), Listen, Sense Motive, Survival and Use Magic Device? I'll leave the actual ranks themselves to someone else xD

I agree (just to keep things rolling):smallwink:

magic_unlocked
2007-11-03, 02:29 AM
Whoo Hoo! I've been quoted! *coughs* Ahem, i think we're probably done with skills and special qualities at this point. I think we should let VT do the actual ranks and whatnot. Anyone disagree with me? So... we move onto feats next, no?

And we need to keep this thread alive! Live I say! Live! *attempts to resurect the thread*

DracoDei
2007-11-03, 03:59 AM
Nothing but Skill Foci says I! :smallbiggrin:

magic_unlocked
2007-11-04, 02:45 PM
With only skill focus, it would definately be one skillful beastie. I doubt that anyone could sneak up on it if it had skill focus in all skills. I think we should also give it that one feat that gives you +5 extra skill points. xD

FoeHammer
2007-11-10, 09:43 AM
Nothing but Skill Foci says I! :smallbiggrin:

I object!::smallbiggrin:

We should give it some skill foci, but not purely. Maybe throw in some toughness and similar?

Come Back Mister Tribble

WE NEED YOU!!!

magic_unlocked
2007-11-11, 02:19 AM
Toughness you say? Why not give it Improved Toughness instead? Also, give it Ability Focus fer those wickedly awesome special abilities. Also, i ferget if the special abilities are spell-like or not. If they are, give it the Supernatural Transformation feat from savage species. Bypass spell resistance!! >=D

TheLogman
2007-11-11, 09:21 AM
I think it should have Ability focuses for most of its abilities, Dodge, and Leadership.

magic_unlocked
2007-11-12, 04:53 PM
Those do seem to work. So far we have skill focus, dodge, ability focus, improved toughness, supernatural transformation, and leadership. I think we're missing something, just can't put my finger on it....

FoeHammer
2007-11-15, 07:06 PM
Those do seem to work. So far we have skill focus, dodge, ability focus, improved toughness, supernatural transformation, and leadership. I think we're missing something, just can't put my finger on it....
weapon focus (natural weapons) and maybe cleave?

magic_unlocked
2007-11-16, 01:09 AM
That works as well. I think we need VT now. Anyone know where he vanished off to? I'm thinking he was Plane Shifted somewhere....

FoeHammer
2007-11-20, 04:09 PM
Probably by one of those new-fangled homebrews of his.:smalltongue:

magic_unlocked
2007-11-21, 05:42 AM
Quite possibly. Anyone here knows how to plane shift him back? cause, well, this was his thread too! VT, we needs yous!! xD

FoeHammer
2007-11-24, 08:23 PM
Quite possibly. Anyone here knows how to plane shift him back? cause, well, this was his thread too! VT, we needs yous!! xD

Seconded.

Come Back Mr. Tribble

magic_unlocked
2007-11-25, 02:20 AM
Well, I guess this thread is dead until VT comes back. *sighs*

FoeHammer
2007-12-11, 04:22 PM
Maybe we should continue without Vorpral...

jindra34
2007-12-11, 04:28 PM
Maybe we should continue without Vorpral...

The question is how?

magic_unlocked
2007-12-12, 01:48 AM
Indeed. How do we continue without the VT? *starts to prepare a shrine for the VT*

FoeHammer
2007-12-19, 01:09 PM
Weeellll...can anyone tell where we left off? As far as i can tell we just need to keep posting stats. If someone could act as VT (moderator for disputes, poster of stats) then I think we could hijack this thread pretty effectivly. (I don't check the boards often enough:smallfrown: )

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-12-19, 02:36 PM
I'll be returning shortly, folks... though may be after Christmas.

magic_unlocked
2007-12-20, 06:22 AM
The VT is back!! =O The world's on it's ear! Head for the hills! XD *ahem* Sorry. Welcome back VT... sorta.

FoeHammer
2007-12-20, 12:32 PM
Yeah...Sorry about trying to steal your thread. I guess our job is just to keep this little gem alive 'til Christmas.

magic_unlocked
2007-12-21, 01:27 AM
Sure looks like it. I think we can manage to do that. It's been at negative HP, but stable, for a while. Now with VT, around... somewhere... we don't need to rez it. He can bring it back from the brink xD

FoeHammer
2008-02-05, 04:06 PM
I'll be returning shortly, folks... though may be after Christmas.

Good job with that.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-05, 05:29 PM
Good job with that.
Yes, well, life can get busy. I'll be getting back to it tonight.

magic_unlocked
2008-02-06, 01:15 AM
Yay! you're back! Hopefully, we can get this finished within the next few months or so. Can't for it.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-06, 09:51 AM
Ok, have updated everything on the first page, and now we are at feats. Those suggested, that it qualifies for and are 3.5, include...

Ability Focus (specify)
Dodge
Improved Toughness
Open Minded (which skill or skills?)
Skill Focus (specify)

So choose which of these you want. I'd just say use these five, but some may want to use more than one skill focus or more than one ability focus.

With you vote, specify what you wish to add Ability Focus to, what to apply Skill Focus to, and what to apply the skill points from Open Minded to.

Keep in mind that Open Minded is not like skill focus where you add it to your ranks. All the skills of this creature are already maxed out rank-wise, so Open Minded will have to be applied to a skill not yet mentioned in its stat block.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-08, 07:38 AM
*listens to an ironic silence settle over the thread*

magic_unlocked
2008-02-08, 11:39 AM
Sorry about that VT. I think it should have Ability Focus on its fractul maze ability. It's just a really fun one. And... Are we gonna give it bonus/racial feats? or just the standard 6 that come from its HD?

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-08, 11:52 AM
It can have bonus/racial feats if you guys so wish it, but they need to be chosen from those listed above.

magic_unlocked
2008-02-08, 11:56 AM
That makes sense, as much as things in D&D can make sense that is. Anyhow, I'ma hit the hay and grab a few hours of sleep.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-12, 10:18 AM
Oookay, moving on...

Alignment
Lawful Good
Neutral Good
Chaotic Good
Lawful Neutral
True Neutral
Chaotic Neutral
Lawful Evil
Neutral Evil
Choatic Evil

Also, are they Always, Usually, or Often of the chosen alignment?

magic_unlocked
2008-02-12, 03:34 PM
Alignment... Hmm.... If this is s'posed to be an inevitable, then it should be Lawful. I want this thing to be absolutely evil/brutal in its attacks but not be evil/brutal in nature. I'm not sure how to emulate that.

Meynolds
2008-02-12, 03:41 PM
Always Lawful Neutral perhaps? With a note under "Combat" about it being rather brutal in it's attacks?

magic_unlocked
2008-02-12, 03:49 PM
That works, I like it.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-12, 04:06 PM
It's not an Inevitable as Lawful wasn't one of the subtypes chosen and an Inevitable has to have that subtype.

Pronounceable
2008-02-12, 06:14 PM
Always LN feels right.

Meynolds
2008-02-12, 06:34 PM
It's not an Inevitable as Lawful wasn't one of the subtypes chosen and an Inevitable has to have that subtype.

We can say it is similar to an Inevitable, without it being an Inevitable.

magic_unlocked
2008-02-14, 08:49 AM
That we can. I say it is, perhaps it was cast out at one point in time? or it defied it's hiearchy... or... something?

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-16, 05:56 PM
Decide amongst yourselves what you wish. Looks like it'll be LN, but will wait til the morning in case anyone else wishes to vote.

FoeHammer
2008-02-16, 09:40 PM
That works, I like it.

I agree.

(Sorry about being late. School, Ya know?)

magic_unlocked
2008-02-17, 02:49 AM
Alright. So, what next? treasure? Or am i missing something?

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-17, 12:12 PM
Nope, stat-wise this bad boy should be finished. Incorporeal swarms never have treasure, advancement, or LA... though if you guys choose to we can always make an exception.

Otherwise we're onto DESCRIPTIONS, so you can tell us how you think it looks and we'll vote on it. I'll be entering this myself in a time.

Sir Shadow
2008-02-17, 12:29 PM
Dizzyingly small orbs of fluff fly through the air. Intrigued, you reach out to touch one, only to find that what you thought was fluff is actually a prickly substance. As if angered by your audacity, a great cloud of them gather around you and begin orbitting your body like tiny satelites. Initially, you find no method to their madness, but slowly you realize that there is a distinct pattern within their dance. Disoriented, you feel the world spin around you and it feels as though your stomach has been turned inside out. As you open your eyes, you are relieved to see the freaky, flying balls are gone, but to your horror, so is the place you were just in. A strange sense of doom creeps into your mind and you realize... you're not in Kansas anymore...

Ok, so I vote that the _____'s base creature for the swarm is a tiny floating ball of spikes that looks fluffy. Almost like those things you see on the ends of a cactus that looks like fluff but is really very hard and sharp.

The whole spiel at the top of my post is just a description of them using their fractural maze.

magic_unlocked
2008-02-20, 03:34 PM
Dizzyingly small orbs of fluff fly through the air. Intrigued, you reach out to touch one, only to find that what you thought was fluff is actually a prickly substance. As if angered by your audacity, a great cloud of them gather around you and begin orbitting your body like tiny satelites. Initially, you find no method to their madness, but slowly you realize that there is a distinct pattern within their dance. Disoriented, you feel the world spin around you and it feels as though your stomach has been turned inside out. As you open your eyes, you are relieved to see the freaky, flying balls are gone, but to your horror, so is the place you were just in. A strange sense of doom creeps into your mind and you realize... you're not in Kansas anymore...

Ok, so I vote that the _____'s base creature for the swarm is a tiny floating ball of spikes that looks fluffy. Almost like those things you see on the ends of a cactus that looks like fluff but is really very hard and sharp.

The whole spiel at the top of my post is just a description of them using their fractural maze.

I like this. Perhaps they'll be green "fluff"?

FoeHammer
2008-02-22, 08:57 AM
We can say it is similar to an Inevitable, without it being an Inevitable.

Prehaps an Inevitable that has failed in its duty and gone wonko as a result?

Meynolds
2008-02-22, 10:41 AM
Prehaps an Inevitable that has failed in its duty and gone wonko as a result?

Or an entire run of Inevitables who had "faulty programing." This could also be made into a plot hook for magically inclined parties.

FoeHammer
2008-02-24, 04:50 PM
Or an entire run of Inevitables who had "faulty programing." This could also be made into a plot hook for magically inclined parties.

Or maybe the PC's can be asked to hunt down one of them by the Inevitables for a "Get out of Inevitable:smalltongue: death free" card.

FoeHammer
2008-03-10, 08:30 PM
Charge to 200! Clear!

Thread resucitated...500xp each!

FoeHammer
2008-03-29, 10:02 AM
OK so it looks like we have our description. What next VT?

Sir Shadow
2008-04-02, 10:56 AM
<_< we're still waiting to vote...

Meynolds
2008-04-02, 07:17 PM
<_< we're still waiting to vote...

. . . On one option. I only see one description; thus no vote is needed.

FoeHammer
2008-06-01, 06:38 PM
Agreed...So what now?

GoC
2008-06-02, 08:27 PM
Why is VT so busy anyway?

I really like the result so far.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-08-29, 09:01 PM
Why so busy? Well, it's involved but to put it in a nutshell moving out of state to become the head journalist for a magazine while also fixing up the house of my best friend that I moved in with.

Anyways, gonna have to cut out some of the description (such as being prickly when they are incorporeal and therefore untouchable).

However, now on to NAMES!

What do we call them?

Pronounceable
2008-08-30, 03:51 AM
For some reason I can see this thing named something ridiculous like Deathfluffy Swarm. Or Dazzling Disorientation Swarm. Or some "fantastic" name like Mux'ygrthyk'eighk.

However, I vote something simple and understandable: Pollen Swarm. OK, they're not technically pollens, but the image is there.

magic_unlocked
2008-09-01, 03:57 PM
I can see that. But, i also like that "fantastic" name. So, how about this: Mux'ygrthyk'eighk (Pollen Swarm). I know some monster entries have that. We can say that the fancy name is the name made of the guy that "tampered" with the programming?

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-09-01, 04:09 PM
Why though call it 'Pollen Swarm' when they aren't pollen or have anything to do with pollen?

I'd suggest maybe something more like 'Plexmotes'.

magic_unlocked
2008-09-01, 04:11 PM
Cools. I like that name. My vote's on it.

Pronounceable
2008-09-01, 05:11 PM
Why though call it 'Pollen Swarm' when they aren't pollen or have anything to do with pollen?

Because the mental image is that of the things which I think are called pollen in english. You know: the white, fluffy, spherical flowerish thing that you see in grass. The one you kick to see its white particles fly around.

Our guy here gives the impression of a swarm of such fluffy white particles. Though I admit "mote" is a better sounding word than pollen. What's plex mean?

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-09-01, 05:19 PM
Because the mental image is that of the things which I think are called pollen in english. You know: the white, fluffy, spherical flowerish thing that you see in grass. The one you kick to see its white particles fly around.
Oh, those are Dandelions, and they are seeds.

Dandelion
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:Ke0Nt9AvYBaVYM:http://www.econetwork.net/~wildmansteve/JPEG%27S/Plant%2520Web%2520Images/DandelionSeedhead.jpg

Pollen
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:Ncm1bbJJJ40UYM:http://en.wikivisual.com/images/a/a4/Misc_pollen.jpg

Now, granted, the description is pollenish, but these are mechanical fractal creatures and 'pollen' just doesn't work for me... but it's the collective vote that matters.

What's plex mean?
A mathematical term. Something like to the power of 10. For practical purposes it means 'a lot'.

Icewalker
2008-09-02, 06:31 PM
Plexmotes is a pretty awesome name. I'll vote for that.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-09-03, 01:41 PM
Alright, it's been five days and so Plexmotes gets it with three votes. That concludes the first Monster of the Masses!

A new one has begun here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89739)

FoeHammer
2008-10-04, 02:19 PM
About time! :smalltongue: