PDA

View Full Version : Rick & Morty: Love! Connection! Experience!

Exeggpoke
2015-09-28, 10:38 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Kvazf9F.png?1

*click* *POOF*
http://i.imgur.com/Rm2IqWZ.png HI, I'M MR. MEESEEKS! LOOOOK AT MEEEE!

Hey, Mr. Meeseeks, I need some help making a thread about Rick & Morty.

CAAAAN DOOOO!

---

With the show nearing the end of its second season and already picked up for a third, I'm surprised that there isn't even a topic about it! So I've taken it upon myself to rectify this mistake. :smallbiggrin:

TELL THEM ABOUT THE SHOW, EXEGGPOKE!

Good point, Mr. Meeseeks. Yes, for those unfamiliar with the program in question, 'Rick & Morty' is an animated television series on Cartoon Network's late night [adult swim] block and it may be one of the funniest, darkest, shows I have ever seen. Of the titular characters Morty Sanchez is a somewhat dim-witted high school student and Rick Sanchez is his grandfather, a mad scientist with a drinking problem and a serious lack of morals when it comes to his tinkering, experiments, and other fantastical creations. While Morty's parents try to figure out why they ever got married in the first place, he goes on adventures with his grandfather and, well, things rarely turn out well.

I will fully admit I am a recent convert to the show so I'm no expert on it. However, it just seemed... wrong to not have a thread. So, let's get schwifty and gush about this depressingly hilarious high concept sci-fi rigmarole! Thanks for the help, Mr. Meeseeks!

I'M MR. MEESEEKS! LOOK AT ME! *POOF*

Don't worry about the exploding. They're fine with it. WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB!

Darth Credence
2015-09-29, 10:25 AM
WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB!

I'm sorry to hear that you are in great pain and need help. Will watching more Rick and Morty help? (If you don't know what I'm talking about, Birdman covers it in a season 1 episode.)

Rick and Morty is probably my favorite comedy right now. Every episode has been hilarious, and some have been so funny I had to rewatch to hear the jokes I missed while laughing so hard.

Dienekes
2015-09-29, 11:14 AM
I like the show a lot. And a lot of it grows on you. For example Rick's verbal and gastronomic ticks annoyed me at first, but now they just get a chuckle.

It's weird, and funny and I enjoy that.

If there's one thing I would complain about, it's that I'm getting kind of bored with the parents will they/won't they divorce shtick.

Exeggpoke
2015-09-29, 12:00 PM
Yeah. The latest episode was great bt it does have me worried about the possibility of Jerry becoming a character like Meg from Family Guy. That is, essentially, a character who's just there to be dumped on by everyone else. He's definitely not perfect but he occasionally has his moments.

JadedDM
2015-09-29, 12:50 PM
Hey, Exeggpoke. Whatcha doing? Making a thread about Rick and Morty?

Exeggpoke
2015-09-29, 01:03 PM
Hey, Exeggpoke. Whatcha doing? Making a thread about Rick and Morty?

Is that a real question? :smallannoyed:

ryuplaneswalker
2015-09-29, 01:15 PM
*peeks head in*

SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT!

*runs away*

Tyndmyr
2015-09-29, 02:49 PM
I watch this show fanatically. Best thing on television.

"She shot my liver, Morty. The hardest working liver in the whole galaxy, Morty. And now there's a hole in it!"

Lurkmoar
2015-09-29, 08:55 PM
Honestly, after the episode before last Sunday's showing, they should probably just write Jerry out of the show. Is he still unemployed?

JadedDM
2015-09-29, 09:26 PM
Is that a real question? :smallannoyed:
I was just making conversation...

Is he still unemployed?
Which is weird. I thought that "Hungry for Apples" slogan would really take off.

Starwulf
2015-09-29, 09:36 PM
I absolutely love Rick and Morty. I didn't like it at first, but since I don't go to sleep at night, I leave Adult Swim on non-stop, and after listening through 3 or 4 eps in the first season I was like "Man, this show actually sounds freaking hilarious", so I started watching it, and hell yeah it's amazing. I've already turned a friend onto it and he thinks it's great as well ^^ Great to hear that it got renewed for a 3rd season!

Rater202
2015-09-29, 09:48 PM
I think it's *burp* hilarious.

Though I should note that certain episodes will be really hard to talk about.

Edit: Did anybody catch the Rick and Morty crossover couch gag on the Simpsons?

Dienekes
2015-09-29, 11:11 PM
Which is weird. I thought that "Hungry for Apples" slogan would really take off.

I mean, it was tested in a state of the art simulation.

Brance_a_Lot
2015-09-29, 11:43 PM
The best part of watching Rick and Morty is all the quotable material. Though quite a few episodes are more than just jokes, they contain a surprising amount of heart too.

Exeggpoke
2015-09-30, 12:14 AM
The show does have a habit of giving Rick redeeming moments after he's been especially heinous. The first episode of the second season comes to mind. We know that at least one sixty-fourth of Rick is a good person. :smalltongue:

MorgromTheOrc
2015-09-30, 06:32 AM
This show has to be my current favorite. It has the kinda pseudo SciFi draw you get from a show like doctor who, but with the seriousness replaced with high quality comedy. I especially like the little comments they make about common annoying things in entertainment.

If I could be anyone I'd be Rick, even if wizard 20 was an option.

Grinner
2015-09-30, 01:51 PM
This show has to be my current favorite. It has the kinda pseudo SciFi draw you get from a show like doctor who, but with the seriousness replaced with high quality comedy. I especially like the little comments they make about common annoying things in entertainment.

It's a lot like Doctor Who, really, if the good doctor was a cantankerous, raging alcoholic.

MorgromTheOrc
2015-09-30, 02:44 PM
It's a lot like Doctor Who, really, if the good doctor was a cantankerous, raging alcoholic.

Morty and Summer=best companions 2015.

Psyren
2015-09-30, 04:26 PM

Note: this is intentional. (http://zap2it.com/2013/11/dan-harmon-rick-and-morty-will-be-the-doctor-who-of-adult-swim-cartoons/)

And yes, I enjoy the show too - Doctor Who meets Breaking Bad almost, where pretty much everyone is a horrible person but there's still lessons to be learned and fun to be had.

Lurkmoar
2015-09-30, 04:33 PM
And yes, I enjoy the show too - Doctor Who meets Breaking Bad almost, where pretty much everyone is a horrible person but there's still lessons to be learned and fun to be had.

Not everyone is horrible...

Mr. Poopybutthole for instance...

Psyren
2015-09-30, 05:08 PM
Not everyone is horrible...

Mr. Poopybutthole for instance...

I meant Rick + Family there, sorry about that.

Haven't seen that particular episode, or at least that name isn't ringing any bells.

Rater202
2015-09-30, 05:56 PM
I meant Rick + Family there, sorry about that.

Haven't seen that particular episode, or at least that name isn't ringing any bells.

The one with the memory parasites?

Pex
2015-09-30, 05:57 PM
Aww, I thought this was Rick & Daryl.

:smallyuk:

grimbold
2015-10-01, 11:06 PM
Morty and Summer=best companions 2015.

I know right?
I was commenting to my roommate earlier today how it's weird but it feels like Rick And Morty is a much more established show than it actually is, simply because the writing is so good.

Ravian
2015-10-01, 11:27 PM
I know right?
I was commenting to my roommate earlier today how it's weird but it feels like Rick And Morty is a much more established show than it actually is, simply because the writing is so good.

It really came into its own quickly, the first episode had a few kinks to work out, but it got good fast. A little interesting since many shows take a few episodes to really hit their groove.

Legato Endless
2015-10-02, 01:25 AM

Is this ignoring or accounting for the fact the man, for all his wit and technical prowess, is utterly suicidally miserable?

Excellent show, probably the best thing Adult Swim has done in ages. Though the latest sketch episode was kind of dull.

Exeggpoke
2015-10-02, 01:37 AM

A level 20 Wizard doesn't even come close to what Rick can do. He was able to undo supernatural curses placed on objects by the Devil himself!

Psyren
2015-10-02, 02:27 AM
Aww, I thought this was Rick & Daryl.

:smallyuk:

Like... from Walking Dead?

grimbold
2015-10-02, 12:11 PM
A level 20 Wizard doesn't even come close to what Rick can do. He was able to undo supernatural curses placed on objects by the Devil himself!

I don't want to get into a munchkin-esque conversation but I'm pretty sure wizards could do that too :smalltongue:

Xondoure
2015-10-02, 12:40 PM
Love this show. Even its weakest episodes are some of the most entertaining television out there. I agree with people that Morty's parents could do with some character development, but I get the feeling they're moving in that general direction.

Here's to a hundred years of rick and morty! www.rickandmorty.com

Dienekes
2015-10-02, 01:07 PM
Like... from Walking Dead?

Daryl! We gotta *buuuurp* we gotta kill the zombies, Daryl. The zombies are gonna break through.

I-I-I-I don't know, Rick. I thought we were supposed to call them Walkers, or something. You know, so our whole situation seems less, you know, ridiculous.

That's stupid, Daryl. They're obviously zombies. Just look how they move, Daryl. All bumping around and trying to eat people, Daryl. They're zombies! Zombies Daryl!

Gopher Wizard
2015-10-04, 03:30 PM
So we say GOODBYE MOONMEN!!! WE SAY GOODBYE MOONMEN!

Pigeon_VII
2015-10-04, 03:50 PM
So we say GOODBYE MOONMEN!!! WE SAY GOODBYE MOONMEN!

SHUT THE @#$% UP ABOUT MOONMEN!!!

Also, his name was Coach Feratu? Like, after the famous movie vampire?

Rater202
2015-10-04, 03:55 PM
Yes.

In the post credits scene, the Head Vampire finds out and tells the other vampires to not use such obvious psuedomyms

Pigeon_VII
2015-10-04, 05:30 PM
Yes.

In the post credits scene, the Head Vampire finds out and tells the other vampires to not use such obvious psuedomyms

Yeah, I know. I was referencing his rage and rejection of that name.

Also, I'm the eyehole man! Give me your eyeholes!

Lurkmoar
2015-10-04, 10:36 PM
Jerry making an idiot of himself. It's total cringe comedy.

This episode is interesting looking.

Edit:...

Dang. That's one hell of a season finale. And that stinger at the end. 'Year and a half. Or longer!' :smalleek:

Starwulf
2015-10-05, 01:58 AM
Man, show took a rather dark and depressing twist :-(. I can only hope the after-scene was just messing with us, really don't want to wait an entire year n a half to see what happens!

Lizard Lord
2015-10-05, 09:26 PM
Bird Person! NOOOOOOOO! :smallfrown:

-D-
2015-10-06, 06:45 AM
Why didn't they hop to alternate reality

ryuplaneswalker
2015-10-06, 07:03 AM
Why didn't they hop to alternate reality

Rick blew up his hand held portal generator and didn't seem to have the resources to make another one since his main lab was on earth.

MorgromTheOrc
2015-10-06, 07:44 AM
Man, show took a rather dark and depressing twist :-(. I can only hope the after-scene was just messing with us, really don't want to wait an entire year n a half to see what happens!

We probably will, it has been about a full season. The ending was much more serious than I thought it would be but it showed a good amount of character development in Rick, and still managed to be funny, I mean who else would bother to make them think Jerry was some weird guy while turning himself in?

-D-
2015-10-06, 08:06 AM
Rick blew up his hand held portal generator and didn't seem to have the resources to make another one since his main lab was on earth.
True, although, still between alternative universes and near magical science, its kinda hard to imagine him not recreating it out of waste found in nearest receptacle. He built a spaceship in his garage out of random debree.

Spaceship capable of intelligent thought. And diplomacy.

zabbarot
2015-10-06, 08:17 AM
This show has left me with one burning question. What the **** does a plumbus do?

Ravian
2015-10-06, 11:07 AM
True, although, still between alternative universes and near magical science, its kinda hard to imagine him not recreating it out of waste found in nearest receptacle. He built a spaceship in his garage out of random debree.

Spaceship capable of intelligent thought. And diplomacy.

Rick's a genius, but remember that the last time they swapped universe they needed to find one where things not only turned out well, but where their alternate versions also died almost immediately afterwards. Those are the circumstances that required extensive scanning of alternate realities, which is why Rick said they'd probably only be able to do it a few more times.

Even if he could make a new portal gun, he'd still need to be able to find the right universe, which apparently required a device far more difficult than the portal gun, given its limited number of uses. It's especially true given that Rick hates dealing with alternate Ricks, and that sort of dimension emmigration is probably a violation of the council of Ricks' rules. (And while he doesn't care about their rules, switching from dealing with the Federation to the Council of Ricks is not much of an improvement to their situation.

Berserk Mecha
2015-10-06, 11:25 AM
Huh, so cobs can appear in DNA. Who knew?

Now I'm going to be on edge for a year and a half or for however long it takes for season 3 to premiere. That was one hell of a cliffhanger. Is Earth going to be a part of the Federation for the rest of the series? Because that would be one hell of a change to the status quo.

-D-
2015-10-06, 02:09 PM
Rick's a genius, but remember that the last time they swapped universe they needed to find one where things not only turned out well, but where their alternate versions also died almost immediately afterwards. Those are the circumstances that required extensive scanning of alternate realities, which is why Rick said they'd probably only be able to do it a few more times.

Even if he could make a new portal gun, he'd still need to be able to find the right universe, which apparently required a device far more difficult than the portal gun, given its limited number of uses. It's especially true given that Rick hates dealing with alternate Ricks, and that sort of dimension emmigration is probably a violation of the council of Ricks' rules. (And while he doesn't care about their rules, switching from dealing with the Federation to the Council of Ricks is not much of an improvement to their situation.
Yeah I remembered afterwards it was detonated. Still it would be a lame but plausible way to resolve the problem. A much more brutal and realistic would be to make Rick invent a Rick-only time machine. Basically, teleport his consciousness in younger Rick body and kill Tammy, before the wedding. That would kinda fit Rick, but I hope they don't go for this extremely lame.

I'm expecting Morty and his family (minus Jerry) will badass their way into Federation prison, and save Rick, but then Rick will invent something to make Federation either stop hunting him or to make Earth very unwelcome for Federation.

It's less cobs in DNA and more like atoms on a cob. It could be a melding point between normal universe and COB universe.

Rater202
2015-10-06, 03:27 PM

He deosn't hate other Ricks, he hates the council of ricks.

He's on good terms with a few of the other Ricks

L Space
2015-10-06, 04:13 PM

Pretty much. I've described it to people that Rick and Morty is to Doctor Who like Archer is to James Bond.

ryuplaneswalker
2015-10-06, 06:18 PM

Now I'm going to be on edge for a year and a half or for however long it takes for season 3 to premiere. That was one hell of a cliffhanger. Is Earth going to be a part of the Federation for the rest of the series? Because that would be one hell of a change to the status quo.

No, Jerry will screw it up somehow with his new job and make earth a permanent "Never going to join the federation" thing, and he will end up unemployed again because nobody on earth will want to hire the man who got the planet kicked out of the federation.

Ravian
2015-10-07, 03:25 AM
Yeah I remembered afterwards it was detonated. Still it would be a lame but plausible way to resolve the problem. A much more brutal and realistic would be to make Rick invent a Rick-only time machine. Basically, teleport his consciousness in younger Rick body and kill Tammy, before the wedding. That would kinda fit Rick, but I hope they don't go for this extremely lame.

Apparently, it's actually an unwritten rule of the series that Rick and Morty will never have time travel. Apparently Roiland, despite making the show's characters as a clear parody of Doc Brown and Marty, has concluded that every story involving time travel has already been told, and decided that it's just not something that will be included. Alternate timelines through dimension jumping? Yes. But no actual time travel. Apparently in universe it is actually a goal of Rick's to build a time machine, but unless he ever figures out the cosmic joke reality has played on him and uses his portal gun to force Roiland to change the rule. (Which is honestly something I wouldn't put past Rick) it's not going to be something that exists in the show.

He deosn't hate other Ricks, he hates the council of ricks.

He's on good terms with a few of the other Ricks

Maybe, but even if Rick is on fairly good terms with some other Ricks, I doubt he'd consider relying on their help on any long term. Remember, banding together with other Ricks for mutual protection is the exact thing he disliked about the Council of Ricks.

And of course this ignores the fact that while Rick may be able to give McGuyver a run for his money, even he can't make something as complex as a portal gun without some amount of supplies. He was making limited progress with making one out of a huge supply of those sex robots on Gazorpazorp, and while he made some pretty good tech in the teeniverse with very limited supplies, but it still took months, and that planet had far more available resources than a planet that can be circumnavigated like a walk to the mailbox and back.

Tyndmyr
2015-10-07, 02:17 PM
Maybe, but even if Rick is on fairly good terms with some other Ricks, I doubt he'd consider relying on their help on any long term. Remember, banding together with other Ricks for mutual protection is the exact thing he disliked about the Council of Ricks.

And of course this ignores the fact that while Rick may be able to give McGuyver a run for his money, even he can't make something as complex as a portal gun without some amount of supplies. He was making limited progress with making one out of a huge supply of those sex robots on Gazorpazorp, and while he made some pretty good tech in the teeniverse with very limited supplies, but it still took months, and that planet had far more available resources than a planet that can be circumnavigated like a walk to the mailbox and back.

Apparently, he has no qualms inviting two of them over to his party at the end of season one.

I predict an opener with the remaining four members of the family divided into pairs, with an earth plot ending in us getting kicked out of the federation, and the other team rescuing Rick(and probably causing all kinds of horrific side effects, including releasing every murderer the galaxy has ever caught).

I'm rooting for a Morty/Jerry team and a Summer/Beth team, because we haven't done that yet, and the possible interactions there are hilarious.

grimbold
2015-10-07, 04:16 PM
No, Jerry will screw it up somehow with his new job and make earth a permanent "Never going to join the federation" thing, and he will end up unemployed again because nobody on earth will want to hire the man who got the planet kicked out of the federation.

This seems about right. Having a galactic federation earth would kind of ruin the poetry of the show...

-D-
2015-10-07, 04:20 PM
Apparently Roiland, despite making the show's characters as a clear parody of Doc Brown and Marty, has concluded that every story involving time travel has already been told

That's a pretty dumb worldview. It's like saying, welp, after Gattaca every story about eugenic has been told, that's it - pack up shop and go. Or after Epic of Gilgamesh, every Hero's journey has been told - pack your bags, heroes' journey is done. Go home.

I appreciate the constraint they put upon themselves - it's similar to never having Bugs Bunny start a fight. But saying stuff like every X plot has been done, that makes my blood boil. Sure time travel is little understood and often abused phenomenon, but you can make numerous works just playing with Time lines. E.g. where is the story about time traveling detective that has a watch that can send only few bytes back into the past? Or about time-traveling Dinosaur (yes I saw it on Penny Arcade).

Also, every time they move close to speed of light, which is probably all the time seeing how fast their space ship travels between planets - they are time traveling INTO THE FUTURE! Time is space Rick, get used to it.

Ravian
2015-10-07, 05:07 PM
That's a pretty dumb worldview. It's like saying, welp, after Gattaca every story about eugenic has been told, that's it - pack up shop and go. Or after Epic of Gilgamesh, every Hero's journey has been told - pack your bags, heroes' journey is done. Go home.

I appreciate the constraint they put upon themselves - it's similar to never having Bugs Bunny start a fight. But saying stuff like every X plot has been done, that makes my blood boil. Sure time travel is little understood and often abused phenomenon, but you can make numerous works just playing with Time lines. E.g. where is the story about time traveling detective that has a watch that can send only few bytes back into the past? Or about time-traveling Dinosaur (yes I saw it on Penny Arcade).

Also, every time they move close to speed of light, which is probably all the time seeing how fast their space ship travels between planets - they are time traveling INTO THE FUTURE! Time is space Rick, get used to it.

I'm guessing it's also because the show would likely lose all tension if time traveling was a thing, because Rick is actually smart enough to abuse it.

Plus there are at least a few time-travel like devices. Recall that the fourth dimensional beings essentially time travel as a natural state of being. (That one we saw gave directions based on timeline dates, and the two of them ended up beating up Albert Einstein.) But they already imposed a hard, very limited reset button with the dimension hopping element. Allowing them to travel back and undo their problems so easily would really remove most of the tension.

Starwulf
2015-10-07, 06:52 PM
I'm guessing it's also because the show would likely lose all tension if time traveling was a thing, because Rick is actually smart enough to abuse it.

Plus there are at least a few time-travel like devices. Recall that the fourth dimensional beings essentially time travel as a natural state of being. (That one we saw gave directions based on timeline dates, and the two of them ended up beating up Albert Einstein.) But they already imposed a hard, very limited reset button with the dimension hopping element. Allowing them to travel back and undo their problems so easily would really remove most of the tension.

Hmm, this gave me an idea. What if the season 2 opener ending comes into play for the 3 season opener? As in, when the time guys beat the crap out of Einstein, telling him not to mess with time and Einstein responding after they left "I will mess with time, I will mess with time". I know the creator of the show doesn't want the main characters to have a time machine, but why not Einstein? And his hijinks somehow sets Rick free, and before Rick can take the time machine for himself, it gets blasted apart, stranding Einstein in the future.

grimbold
2015-10-08, 06:10 PM
Hmm, this gave me an idea. What if the season 2 opener ending comes into play for the 3 season opener? As in, when the time guys beat the crap out of Einstein, telling him not to mess with time and Einstein responding after they left "I will mess with time, I will mess with time". I know the creator of the show doesn't want the main characters to have a time machine, but why not Einstein? And his hijinks somehow sets Rick free, and before Rick can take the time machine for himself, it gets blasted apart, stranding Einstein in the future.

I actually really like this idea and it would fit into dan harmons narrative style

Exeggpoke
2015-10-15, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the news, Bond Bot!

Anyway, wow, that was one hell of a season finale, huh? Hoo boy! I hope I don't have to wait a year and a half (or longer) for the next season! :smallfurious:

grimbold
2015-10-17, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the news, Bond Bot!

Anyway, wow, that was one hell of a season finale, huh? Hoo boy! I hope I don't have to wait a year and a half (or longer) for the next season! :smallfurious:

For the record - is it just me or is the usage of the song Hurt in the finale absolutely stellar? It made me cry...

Lurkmoar
2015-10-17, 08:37 PM
For the record - is it just me or is the usage of the song Hurt in the finale absolutely stellar? It made me cry...

Didn't make me cry, but I'd be a liar if I didn't say that it made me feel really melancholic. Also, I really hope they don't snap the show back too much. Would be interesting to see how people deal with the changes.

Quild
2017-04-04, 04:17 AM
Season's 3 first episode got an early release and it's good to have Rick&Morty back.

Next episode in June I think

I believed that the were not going to show how Rick escaped. But they couldn't ignore that he was going to be a fugitive. Got me!
I also believed the origin story since Beth hamfisted the "abandonned me" thing. Got me again!

Rick's escape is... So clever. He's good, real good. Are we done with the council of Ricks? Galactic Federation doesn't seem to be at it's end (after credits scene).

-D-
2017-04-04, 05:08 AM
Eh, pushing out Samurai Jack, felt bad. It also made me realize how much more I care about Jack, than anyone in this show.

I assumed the whole escape would be over in episode or two. Also I liked the more gentle Rick. The Rick I saw, is just an intelligent monster. Also he isn't particularly likeable or reedemable.

Plus, there is the whole part about Jerry and Beth divorce, that felt waaaay too fast.

Lacuna Caster
2017-04-04, 08:41 AM
Eh, pushing out Samurai Jack, felt bad. It also made me realize how much more I care about Jack, than anyone in this show.

I assumed the whole escape would be over in episode or two. Also I liked the more gentle Rick. The Rick I saw, is just an intelligent monster. Also he isn't particularly likeable or reedemable.

Plus, there is the whole part about Jerry and Beth divorce, that felt waaaay too fast.

Rick disappeared down the wormhole of a moral event horizon and entered an inverted parallel universe decades ago- the fact is that no amount of being nice to his grandkids is going to make up for the billions of lives he's carelessly annihilated for little or no reason. So yeah, everything that looked sincere was contrived and petty, everything that looked imposing is destroyed or trivialised. All perfectly congruent with the show's existential nihilism.

Celestia
2017-04-04, 10:00 AM
Morty Sanchez
Morty's last name is Smith, just like the rest of the Smith family.

-D-
2017-04-04, 10:44 AM
Maybe he means a Rick with Morty head.

So yeah, everything that looked sincere was contrived and petty, everything that looked imposing is destroyed or trivialised. All perfectly congruent with the show's existential nihilism.
Sure, but if it's all pointless, what motivation should I have to watch it?

Waiting for Rick to die from natural causes or other characters?

Rater202
2017-04-04, 10:53 AM
It's stated or implied several times that Rick does actually care about Morty at the very least--he's just bad at dealing with it, and he lies. All the time.

Word of God is that Rick is a sociopathic jackass on purpose. It keeps him from getting too attached to what's basically worthless in the grand scheme of things.

You don't watch for Rick anyway. You watch for Morty, and his development, his issues. Whatever development Rick gets is just gravy.

smuchmuch
2017-04-04, 11:23 AM
's stated or implied several times that Rick does actually care about Morty at the very least--he's just bad at dealing with it, and he lies. All the time.

Thing is, this whole episode show how good he is to lie even in his own mind, so for all we know all these implications were utterly false, just a very smart manipulator doing what he does best.

It really comes down to weither you believe Rick might have been lying or not in his little spiel at the end of the episode. It did come a little forced but at the same time it's perfectly beleivable for the character.

I will say it did leave a slightly bad taste in my mouth but at the same time it's pretty brillaint and definitively on par for the show.

Well not for long now it's not.

Honnestly at this point I'm actualy happy for Jerry that he gets booted from the home because for as much as bland and a looser he's supposed to be, Beth has crossed an horizon were 'daddy issues' seems to be her ONLY predominent character trait now and I cannot find any way to even remotely care about her as a character.

Rater202
2017-04-04, 12:11 PM
MscDonalds might actually bring back the szechuan sauce becuase of this episode. (http://fortune.com/2017/04/04/mcdonalds-szechuan-sauce-rick-and-morty/)

Lacuna Caster
2017-04-04, 12:56 PM
Sure, but if it's all pointless, what motivation should I have to watch it?

Waiting for Rick to die from natural causes or other characters?
I'm not certain if there's a good answer to that question, but if you haven't found it by now, it's unlikely the show is going to start supplying one. (Also, given that... I'm guessing millions of Ricks literally just died in the last episode, it's pretty clear that the death of any particular Rick would be largely meaningless.)

I watch the show because it's amusing and pointed and clever and satirical, but I'm not banking on any particularly heartwarming epiphany.

Starwulf
2017-04-04, 06:52 PM
Loved the episode all the way up until the end, wasn't a fan of Ricks monologue detailing his whole drive is due to that McNugget Sauce. It felt fake, but at the same time...I could totally see them going with that, which would suck. Still, was super happy to see a new episode, even though I have to wait till summer for more, I'm fine with that, I got my Rick and Morty Fix(I've been googling at least twice a month for the last 6 months to see when the new season would start).

Celestia
2017-04-04, 10:04 PM
Well not for long now it's not.
Beth getting divorced won't change Morty's last name.

Loved the episode all the way up until the end, wasn't a fan of Ricks monologue detailing his whole drive is due to that McNugget Sauce. It felt fake, but at the same time...I could totally see them going with that, which would suck.
Oh, I guarantee you that it's not serious. I don't even know why anyone would assume it is. With Rick and Morty, you've got to take everything with a mountain of salt.

Legato Endless
2017-04-04, 10:20 PM
You're certainly not supposed to tacitly accept the final monologue. The entire episode is brimming with symbolism dealing with truth and lies. The ending is just more image control.

Devonix
2017-04-05, 07:02 AM
You're certainly not supposed to tacitly accept the final monologue. The entire episode is brimming with symbolism dealing with truth and lies. The ending is just more image control.

The way Rick behaves when people, especially Morty are watching has always been counter to his real feelings.

Rater202
2017-04-05, 09:49 AM
Going by the Twitter and Tumblr for the galactic Federation... Yeah, Jerry's probably literally the only one on Earth who was happy to have them around.

As far as the family knew when Jerry insisted on Beth choosing... Rick had just saved the Earth and destroyed a tyranical government.

I mean, good for Jerry finally growing a spine, but he was being kind of selfish... Like seriously, he grew that spine at the worst possible time for himself.

Anyway, Rick has a history of going on rants that don't mean anything when sufficiently drunk and/or manic. It's entirely possible that body-surfing at least three times and destroying two of his greatest foes utterly has left him on one hell of an adrenaline high.

Honestly? He said one thing to Jerry when he got back. I think he wasn't planning on the divorce and is just taking credit for it so Morty doesn't think he's gone soft.

Celestia
2017-04-05, 01:18 PM
Rick doesn't plot and pan and construct Xanatos Gambits. That would take effort. He's just really good at going with the flow and making it all look planned.

Kato
2017-04-05, 02:20 PM
Sometimes I think certain fans put way more effort into taking apart a show than the makers into creating it...

It was a fun episode, about what you'd expect from the show. Or I do, anyway.
Frankly, trusting Rick to ever be honest already sets you up for disappointment, though.

Lurkmoar
2017-04-05, 05:10 PM
Sometimes I think certain fans put way more effort into taking apart a show than the makers into creating it...

It was a fun episode, about what you'd expect from the show. Or I do, anyway.
Frankly, trusting Rick to ever be honest already sets you up for disappointment, though.

So does trusting Rick to be a **** mean I'm going to be disappointed?

Rater202
2017-04-05, 05:20 PM
Yes. Just as soon as you get used to the jackass on the outside, you see a glimpse of the bitter and suicidal depressed man hiding inside the jackass.

Also, the creators of the show are on record as having stated that Rick is mentally ill.

Skitterbug
2017-04-05, 05:24 PM
Favorite line: "No. I don't want to see your pog collection."

Lurkmoar
2017-04-05, 05:29 PM
Favorite line: "No. I don't want to see your pog collection."

I think Pogs were a thing... for like a year. If that. My block got over it real quick.

Rater202
2017-04-05, 05:31 PM
The thought occurs to me that at least one of the Ricks who died when the council was teleported to the prison probably knew of an Earth where szechuan sauce was never discontinued.

Lacuna Caster
2017-04-06, 07:29 AM
Honestly? He said one thing to Jerry when he got back. I think he wasn't planning on the divorce and is just taking credit for it so Morty doesn't think he's gone soft.
The episode with Beth and Jerry's monster/god manifestations is one of my favourites, and there's a couple of other episodes that imply the two have a genuine, if only intermittently functional, mutual reliance. So I'd be mildly nonplussed if Jerry was really written out.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if a certain wing of the fanbase detested Jerry so much that the writers just took the path of least resistance.

Yes. Just as soon as you get used to the jackass on the outside, you see a glimpse of the bitter and suicidally depressed man hiding inside the jackass.
And murderous. Don't forget murderous.

DigoDragon
2017-04-06, 07:44 AM
The thought occurs to me that at least one of the Ricks who died when the council was teleported to the prison probably knew of an Earth where szechuan sauce was never discontinued.

Pffft, would be amusing. Though for all his genius why hasn't Rick found that dimension on his own? He can find a dimension exactly like his except for one detail of not Cronenburging everyone AND where his and Morty's parallels managed to kill themselves accidentally, but not a dimension where the sauce still exists? Maybe it's an inter-dimensional conspiracy. :smalltongue:

The episode with Beth and Jerry's monster/god manifestations is one of my favourites, and there's a couple of other episodes that imply the two have a genuine, if only intermittently functional, mutual reliance. So I'd be mildly nonplussed if Jerry was really written out.

I'm at episode 11 of the first season and I'm almost BEGGING to just write Jerry out so I can stop hearing about their failing marriage thing falling apart and then they get back together and then fall apart next episode. Geez.

Devonix
2017-04-06, 08:46 AM
Rick Lies, all the time, constantly, especially about his goals and emotions. Just look at the ending to the Unity Episode where he tells the kids one thing and then has a completely different emotional state when he gets alone. Hell look at his catch phrase for season one. Where the kids and audience t hink he's just goofing off and brushing aside anything important when he's really hurting. So nope not buying this sauce thing.

Kato
2017-04-06, 09:19 AM
Okay, the whole sauce thing is ridiculous just on the basis that Rick could probably figure out ten ways to get the recipe before he doesn't brush his teeth in the morning.

In regard to whether we should trust Rick when he describes himself : only as far as what he wants you to believe. Except when he refers to himself as a ****, then he might be honest.

Lacuna Caster
2017-04-06, 11:07 AM
I'm at episode 11 of the first season and I'm almost BEGGING to just write Jerry out so I can stop hearing about their failing marriage thing falling apart and then they get back together and then fall apart next episode. Geez.
Yeah, but... is that especially Jerry's fault? I'm not sure he's more glaringly flawed than anyone besides maybe Summer, and most of his objections to Rick's escapades are perfectly defensible.

Given this season just opened with a huge status-quo-button-reset, again, I'm not counting on serious development taking place.

DigoDragon
2017-04-06, 11:29 AM
Yeah, but... is that especially Jerry's fault? I'm not sure he's more glaringly flawed than anyone besides maybe Summer, and most of his objections to Rick's escapades are perfectly defensible.

It's not especially Jerry's fault, no. I just feel that a divorce really would be best for him because I don't see that dimension's marriage getting any better.

Lacuna Caster
2017-04-06, 04:20 PM
Wait a second. You're telling me love isn't founded on a repeated and desperate cycle of misconstrued intent (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkAjUBtn_TM) and wilful denial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gVOeTHoOXY)? ...Huh. Weird.

Scowling Dragon
2017-04-06, 04:35 PM
I don't get how people can fall for repeated on and off again syndicated "Emotional Tales".

1 Season? Maybe. By season 2 it was worn to the bone. By the third season it can go screw itself.

Also They bought their own hype. Remember when rick was a corrupted and drunked dock brown not badass mc awesome?

The fact that he takes out everybody in one episode is just obnoxious. He felt like more of a "Seat of the pants" kinda guy. Like he mixed the right balance of aware and incomputitent. This is way too much.

Starwulf
2017-04-06, 07:22 PM
I don't get how people can fall for repeated on and off again syndicated "Emotional Tales".

1 Season? Maybe. By season 2 it was worn to the bone. By the third season it can go screw itself.

Also They bought their own hype. Remember when rick was a corrupted and drunked dock brown not badass mc awesome?

The fact that he takes out everybody in one episode is just obnoxious. He felt like more of a "Seat of the pants" kinda guy. Like he mixed the right balance of aware and incomputitent. This is way too much.

Ehh, he's the Rickest Rick of them all, stands to reason he'd eventually take out everyone that pisses him off.

The real question now is, when does the showdown between Rick and the Ultra-smart Morty happen?? Seems like they'll have to face off sooner rather then later, now that the Galatic Federation is mostly out of the way(Assuming that Morty wants to take over the universe that is).

Dienekes
2017-04-06, 07:39 PM
Ehh, he's the Rickest Rick of them all, stands to reason he'd eventually take out everyone that pisses him off.

The real question now is, when does the showdown between Rick and the Ultra-smart Morty happen?? Seems like they'll have to face off sooner rather then later, now that the Galatic Federation is mostly out of the way(Assuming that Morty wants to take over the universe that is).

Evil Morty may come back, but honestly I think we haven't seen the end of the Council of Ricks or the Galactic Federation. Like always, Rick did a half-assed job. Sure he took out the Fed economy, caused untold damage, but it's various bodies are still there, and pissed. With a new bird person to boot.

Then there's the Council of Ricks. Yeah, their base is gone, as is their leadership but the concept behind it hasn't changed and in infinite realities there are infinite more Ricks to replace the ones that were lost. And now he's number one on their most wanted (as soon as they figure out what the hell just happened).

I really think this is the season where Rick sees a lot of his past decisions come back to bite him.

Scowling Dragon
2017-04-06, 07:43 PM

That means absolutely nothing. Being Rick=/= "Super Ckewl Nutin personel". At least not before. He was also the type of moron that would kill himself if it meant getting back at some alternate version of himself.

Am I the only one bothered by this? Like can you take any threat thrown at him seriously at this point? Are you entertained by a protagonist that can destroy anything he wants but ONLY when the writers say he can? Like depending on how the writers feel that day rick alternates between "Heart of Gold/Black Hole", and "Drunk Mad Scientist/ Post Reboot Dr Who"

Is nobody else bothered by the selective writing?

DigoDragon
2017-04-06, 07:58 PM
Like always, Rick did a half-assed job.

That's pretty true. For all the genius he supposedly is, he sure screws up as often as he succeeds.

I just got through season 2 episode 4 (the one with the alien parasites that only make happy memories). Holy Celestia how that ended on a downer. o_o I'm kinda depressed and impressed at the same time. The one before it was even worse downer. Rick attempted suicide and failed by... luck? Wow, it's pretty impressive how straight they play such subject matter.

Am I the only one bothered by this? Like can you take any threat thrown at him seriously at this point? Are you entertained by a protagonist that can destroy anything he wants but ONLY when the writers say he can? Like depending on how the writers feel that day rick alternates between "Heart of Gold/Black Hole", and "Drunk Mad Scientist/ Post Reboot Dr Who"

It was interesting first season when he seemed to hide his feelings behind an uncaring shell, but I can see it getting old hat now.

Rynjin
2017-04-07, 04:13 AM
That means absolutely nothing. Being Rick=/= "Super Ckewl Nutin personel". At least not before. He was also the type of moron that would kill himself if it meant getting back at some alternate version of himself.

In the words of someone wiser than you or I. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgCjIP0BZXA)

TL;DW: No.

-D-
2017-04-07, 04:55 AM
TL;DW: No.
Hold your horse space cowboy.

Well, tbh I am.

Either Rick is super smart and managed to take down both Federation and Council of Ricks (which are about as intelligent as him) -OR- It's more or less a fluke and he lucked his way into taking them both down (which is poor writing - luck generally shouldn't help your protagonist).

You end up in situation that either Rick is too strong to be taken down by nearly anybody* -OR- he'll be rescued due to show resetting to (status quo - Rick and Morty going on adventures).

*Anybody means anybody but Summer and Morty.

I'm more critical of appearing to give Rick an Arc, only to essentially do a contrived plot that essentially invalidates it. It's hard to judge how much of that is Rick's doing, and how much is just luck.

Lacuna Caster
2017-04-07, 06:32 AM
Either Rick is super smart and managed to take down both Federation and Council of Ricks (which are about as intelligent as him) -OR- It's more or less a fluke and he lucked his way into taking them both down (which is poor writing - luck generally shouldn't help your protagonist).
I broadly agree with all of this, but again, I'm not sure why this is only bothering you now. We had a previous episode where Rick transformed the entire population of earth into cronenberg horrors and never fixed it, plus another where he literally destroyed entire populated universes that he had equally literally (if indirectly) summoned into being. And he doesn't care, because there's an equal-and-opposite reality where he didn't make those decisions, and as he sees it, this particular Rick just drew the short straw. Free will is an illusion, and expectable probability is a joke. That's the whole point. Nothing matters.

Scowling Dragon
2017-04-07, 09:33 AM
I broadly agree with all of this, but again, I'm not sure why this is only bothering you now. We had a previous episode where Rick transformed the entire population of earth into cronenberg horrors and never fixed it, plus another where he literally destroyed entire populated universes that he had equally literally (if indirectly) summoned into being.

Thats not the argument whatsoever at all. Its like saying:

"Well these apples taste rotten"
"Well you ate the same batch 5 days ago and it was fine so whats the problem?"

What you listed was BLUNDERS. It made Rick more entertaining because hes such a failing **** up with no personal responcibility. And NOW suddenly hes so freaking baddass hes taking out interstellar factions on a whim because hes "Tres Baddass".

Even the moments where he outsmarts his enemies he does it more by luck and still isn't impervious. He evaded the council of ricks, but then got captured by another Rick. He evaded that Galactic federation police on a ship, but was still cornered by a larger ship.

This is completly different.

Lacuna Caster
2017-04-07, 09:47 AM
My point is that Rick blunders into success for exactly the same reasons that he blunders into failures: We are watching the version of Rick that happens to do these wacky outlandish things out of an infinite multiplicity of other Ricks. It's all part of the same joke.

Scowling Dragon
2017-04-07, 10:00 AM
My point is that Rick blunders into success for exactly the same reasons that he blunders into failures: We are watching the version of Rick that happens to do these wacky outlandish things out of an infinite multiplicity of other Ricks. It's all part of the same joke.

So what your saying is "The writers have an excuse for inconcistencies so that makes it funny".

So if you slappen on "MULTIPLE DIMENSIONS" on the simpsons suddenly the toxic and mind numbing Nature of Marges an Homers relationship becomes "Funny, engaging and entertaining"? "See Marge and Homer didn't break up a million times, it was just alternate realities so it = Funny!"

The idea is we are following ONE rick. The SAME rick so we can gauge him consistently. If there is one thing I hate more then inconcsistent theming, its using excuses for bad writing in writing:

"Why are the characters acting so stupid? They talk about finding "The Dark One" but when Senetor Booglefrom says "Man I sure do love being a nice guy and not being evil unlike that bastard Dark one and his secret plans to sabotage the cryxnogal rift in 6 solar cycles!", none of them question this suspicious behaviour!"
"Oh he was clouding their minds with magic"
"Wait all of them at once with no establishment onscreen?"
"Yes"
"So how is he ever defeated if he can make everybody idiots whenever he wants?"
"Because the gods will it"

Your argument doesn't hold up if we are following 1 Rick. If your argument is that probability allows him to succeed or fail you do realise that the writers just decide that on a whim right? My argument becomes that the writers style isn't organic and thus immersion breaking.

Rater202
2017-04-07, 10:02 AM
Just for the record, Rick had previously been established as the smartest person in the universe as far back as season one and it was reiterated in this episode.

If our Rick is the Rickest Rick, that that would mean that he's the smartest of them all--The Smartest Anything in Every Reality.

Or, in other words... Basically, if Rick is Sober and Determined, then he's unstoppable.

But how often is Rick sober? How often is he sober and anything other than suicidally depressed? Exactly.

Exactly.

Beyond that... Rick's not a character, in the traditional sense. Like Morty said, he's more like a "super ****ed up God." He's a force of nature, he exists either to get the plot rolling or to clean up someone else's mess. That's it. Sometime's we get to see a glimpse of the broken man inside the god, but often Rick hides himself behind a wall of jackassery and cultivated sociopathy.

Lacuna Caster
2017-04-07, 10:13 AM
Your argument doesn't hold up if we are following 1 Rick. If your argument is that probability allows him to succeed or fail you do realise that the writers just decide that on a whim right?
Yes, they do, absolutely. My point is that even a single Rick will branch off indefinitely (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation) into different versions of himself, so any non-zero probability, however marginal, is still represented in the spectrum. I mean, maybe Rater is right, and being drunk or sober factors into the probability of whether he fumbles or crits, but it's actually a little beside the point. And the man who is smart enough to know how to genetically transform all of human civilisation should definitely be smart enough to know about 'experimental controls' and 'quarantine protocol'. I get where you're coming from, but... this is nothing new.

Scowling Dragon
2017-04-07, 10:15 AM
In that case I argue this show is still a failure. I watch Superjail for exactly the same reasons you mentioned. Any character "Development" exists for gag reasons.

But this show doesn't do gag development nearly as well, and you can tell by the framing that we are supposed to be taking the "Serious" moments seriously.

Its lazy. Its lazy lazy writing to fail to write your serious moments and then hide behind excuses later.

But if its one thing I know is that people get way too attached to their entertainment.

Yes, they do, absolutely.

Man I didn't know the Simpsons and Family guy has such amazing writing.

This is utter nonsense. Your brushing off bad writing with "QUANTUM PHYSICS!"

Lacuna Caster
2017-04-07, 10:39 AM
Man I didn't know the Simpsons and Family guy has such amazing writing.

This is utter nonsense. Your brushing off bad writing with "QUANTUM PHYSICS!"
As I think I mentioned a page or so back, I enjoy Rick and Morty for a number of reasons, and I think it's a good show and worth watching and I'm glad it exists, but character development and consequential drama were never, for me, particularly why I was invested. So I don't feel cheated out of something that, to my mind, the show never really promised. What it did make very explicit, literal and foundational was that all possible realities, however absurd, exist simultaneously.

(I might have groused about the Simpsons about twenty years ago, since it was a different beast at first, but I don't really watch Family Guy these days.) I'm certainly not attached to these shows in the same way I was to, for example, Phantom 2040, GL:TAS or even Clone High. (None of which, incidentally, we are likely to see again.)

Scowling Dragon
2017-04-07, 10:47 AM
That's not my argument that I have been repeating on a loop:

I want a show that's focused on being one thing and good at it, rather then playing two sides and being bad at both.

Lacuna Caster
2017-04-07, 11:49 AM
Look, SD, it's totally fine if you're tuned to a different frequency here, but I think we've hit the nub of fundamentally divergent value assumptions that you can't really argue the other person out of.

Anyhoo: I will say it's eminently possible there's a Rick-version of non-trivial-probability who does have underlying feelings for Morty/Summer/Beth/etc. and is simply ranting incoherently while drunk on victory. What I find odd is the idea that buying his grandkids ice cream would make him noticeably more or less of a monster.

Rynjin
2017-04-07, 02:15 PM
Hold your horse space cowboy.

Why? He asked if it bothered me, I said no. It's a simple question, I gave a simple answer.

We already knew this season was likely to be pretty janky anyway from the reason it took so long to come out (creative differences between Roiland and Harmon that they've been struggling to reconcile).

DigoDragon
2017-04-07, 02:50 PM
Beyond that... Rick's not a character, in the traditional sense. Like Morty said, he's more like a "super ****ed up God." He's a force of nature, he exists either to get the plot rolling or to clean up someone else's mess. That's it. Sometime's we get to see a glimpse of the broken man inside the god, but often Rick hides himself behind a wall of jackassery and cultivated sociopathy.

Kind of like an alcoholic Doctor Who, but with a less catchy theme song. :smalltongue:

Anyway, been replaying some of the sad episodes, but only listening to the songs at their end. Some real good picks they got in there. :o

Lurkmoar
2017-04-07, 05:53 PM
Kind of like an alcoholic Doctor Who, but with a less catchy theme song. :smalltongue:

Anyway, been replaying some of the sad episodes, but only listening to the songs at their end. Some real good picks they got in there. :o

Look on Down from the Bridge at the ending of Rick Potion #9. I think that destroyed Morty's self-esteem and notions about reality real good.