PDA

View Full Version : Hoard of the Dragon Queen IC

JNAProductions
2015-09-29, 07:41 AM
The day outside is bright and shining. A pleasant breeze goes through the trees as you walk with your various companions, all on your way to Greenest. You're nearly in sight of the city, but before then, you still have a few minutes to converse with your fellow travelers.

Meriss
2015-09-29, 12:39 PM
Lilli brushes a lock of blonde hair out of her eyes. "Civilisation! Finally!" She continues pressing forward.

Gorgon_Heap
2015-09-29, 08:03 PM
The stranger had joined the group several days ago and made a subtle impression. Among a group of armed strangers, she'd quickly introduced herself and was friendly, forthright and polite, and yet her exotic appeal still made her a wary curiosity for northerners. Her dress, manner, olive skin and strange accent mark her as from the southern lands, far, far away from this cold, forested place. She often keeps her hood up, but only against the sun and weather, never to hide her face.

In truth, she was loath to make this excruciating journey, but a man in Greenest had broken his word, and she had to remind him the importance of keeping one's word.

But that was business. And she'd grown to enjoy the pleasant if predictable mindless banter of the little wizard. Lilli trundled along, clinking and clattering and making countless observations, sometimes coupled with annotations of nearly any area of study. It seemed she wanted to fill the countless hours of travel without saying anything much about herself.

This, Asriyah could understand and appreciate. She nods absently along with the gnome. "I suppose it is that."

darklink_shadow
2015-09-29, 11:14 PM
Erk, as he was going by these days, had noticed the jovial nature of the exotic creature a few times. Asriyah, Erk believed her name to be, had spent a great deal of time with the gnomish woman, however, and so Erk instead had spent his time with Keyleth.

However, once they arrived at the city, it might prove difficult for Erk to catch Asriyah's attention, and so he begged his pardon from his current company and disentangled himself from whatever conversation he was having to approach the pair, the stranger from the south and the gnome.

"Hello ladies. Ah, such a beautiful sight, isn't it? The way the sun gleams off of the buildings in the distance? It's actually salty air that does it, I've heard. The salt sticks to the buildings and causes them to glisten." With his charming smile, he extended a hand to the olive skinned beauty.

"My name is Erk, by the way. Erk Honeyblossom." That wasn't true, of course, his name was just Erk, as was the same of many people who never knew their parents, Erk had no surname, save the one he gave himself. And he often changed that surname daily.

Gorgon_Heap
2015-09-30, 09:38 AM
Asriyah turns toward the short man and smiles warmly at his attention. "I wish I could see it as you do. Compared with the ancient majesty of Calimport, most northern cities appear the same to me; square and gray and flat. I have heard stories of Silverymoon, but have never been there." She looks the man up and down thoughtfully, trying to make sense of his coloration.

"I have trouble also with names. You are ... Tethyrian? 'Erk,'" she repeats badly, pronouncing it ukh. "Have you been to Greenest before, Erk? Can you tell me of it? Lilli, what do you know of this place?"

Heartspan
2015-09-30, 01:06 PM
Walking lightly towards the back of the group, almost as an outsider, Quilue listens to this exchange with interest. She plays a soft tune on a lute.

Meriss
2015-09-30, 01:23 PM
Lilli, unused to positive male attention blushes fiercely.

She composes herself. "Greenest is a small trading hub. It's not much to speak of, but it is supposed to be quite friendly. The current Governor is a fellow named Nighthill."

Lecturing was so much safer than feeling.

darklink_shadow
2015-09-30, 04:22 PM
Erk laughed lightheartedly at Asriyah's mispronounciation of his name. "Your accent is adorable, truly! And our dear little gnome friend has the right of it, mostly. It's a quaint trading hub, but it's also a hub of people of all walks of life to meet and mingle. A majestic place in it's own right where the ale flows with laughter and stories of distant lands. No place is quite as grand as a trading hub. I'm sure the grander the hub, the grander the experiance, but you will find northern hospitality is not lacking. I would be honored to have the chance to show you around. Both of you. Haha! I'll be the envy of the town walking around with you two! And I'll gladly buy the first round if you tell me a bit more about these southern lands you hail from. I've been a bit south before, but it was summer and the heat got to me awfully quick and I had to retreat back home."

Looking back, Erk grinned at the sound of a lute. "Play a little louder, sweetstrings, such a lovely tune has no right to be so silent. "

Heartspan
2015-09-30, 05:24 PM
Quilue skips forward, and plays a little louder, and faster, twisting the tune into an energetic song.

"What do you know of the arts?"

darklink_shadow
2015-09-30, 05:34 PM
"Haha! That's a lively tune. Little compared to you, I'm sure, but I've dabbled in the arts! If you know the tune to anything famous, I might know the rhymes!"

Erk nudged the gnome and winked at the human ladies before clapping with the rhythm set by the lute player.

Heartspan
2015-09-30, 06:01 PM
With Erk's clapping as the beat she shifts the melody to a well known drinking song. She layers the chrods with quick beats to the base of the lute.

darklink_shadow
2015-09-30, 06:44 PM
Erk paused to listen to the chords before he decided he did know a song with this rhythm, and so he began his ribald ballad.

Well a Dwarfman clad in kilt left a bar one evening fair
And one could tell by how he walked that he'd drunk more than his share
He fumbled round until he could no longer keep his feet
Then he stumbled off into the grass to sleep beside the street
Ring ding diddle iddle I de oh ring di diddly I oh
He stumbled off into the grass to sleep beside the street

About that time two young and lovely girls just happened by
And one says to the other with a twinkle in her eye
See yon sleeping Dwarfman so strong and handsome built
I wonder if it's true what they don't wear beneath the kilt
I wonder if it's true what they don't wear beneath the kilt

They crept up on that sleeping Dwarfman quiet as could be
Lifted up his kilt about an inch so they could see
And there behold, for them to view, beneath his Dwarven skirt
Was nothing more than God had graced him with upon his birth
Was nothing more than God had graced him with upon his birth

They marveled for a moment, then one said we must be gone
Let's leave a present for our friend, before we move along
As a gift they left a blue silk ribbon, tied into a bow
Around the bonnie star, the Dwarf's kilt did lift and show
Around the bonnie star, the Dwarf's kilt did lift and show

Now the Dwarfman woke to nature's call and stumbled toward the trees
Behind a bush, he lifts his kilt and gawks at what he sees
And in a startled voice he says to what's before his eyes.
O lad I don't know where you been but I see you won first prize
O lad I don't know where you been but I see you won first prize

Gorgon_Heap
2015-09-30, 08:01 PM
Asriyah smiled along easily as the jaunty little tune began, but evinces embarrassed surprise at the end. "That's a ... colorful song. I haven't heard it before. Our songs are more like folk tales or parables. "

Heartspan
2015-09-30, 08:38 PM
Quilue energetically responds, delighted to converse on such topics. "I prefer the great stories of you overlanders, but i feel they need preparation, and the right atmosphere... We Should have a storytelling session sometime, over a campfire. it'd be interesting."

Meriss
2015-09-30, 10:18 PM
Lilli's face turns an impossible shade of red. She coughs politely as Erk finishes.

"Well that was educational I'm afraid all I can offer is some poems by a human named Limerick or who lived in Limerick. I'm not sure. Ahem.
'There was a young woman named Lenore.
Whose mouth was as big as a door.
Whilst attempting to grin.
She tripped and fell in.
And lay inside out on the floor.'"

darklink_shadow
2015-09-30, 10:39 PM
"Oh, did you not know? Cities like Greenest are always this colorful! Honestly, it is delightful to revel in drink and merry making, but never so much as when the ale loosens the tongue, and ribald songs ring through the halls. But if you'd prefer a more cordial ballad, I know a few of those as well. I doubt we hear any in town however. Traders travel far and wide just to sell their wares, along dangerous roads and often with dull company. When they arrive in a trading town, it's nice to let loose and sing a little diddy about what they've missed most on the road." Erk laughed again.

"As for the stories spoken over campfire just after twilight, I'm game. I've always enjoyed that as well. Ah, well. Does anyone want to grab a quick drink with me once we arrive? It'll help with the stiffness of travel!"

JNAProductions
2015-10-01, 08:08 AM
As you round the bend, Greenest finally comes into view. A light breeze rolls by, sending the smoke peeling over the city gently wafting, almost concealing the dragon ravaging the town with blasts of lightning. The town is in flames, and even from this distance you can faintly hear the screams.

darklink_shadow
2015-10-01, 08:21 AM
"Oh dear." Erk said at once. And then ran towards the destruction. "Hurry! We have to try to help. If there are any monsters left, I will try to slay them!"

Gorgon_Heap
2015-10-01, 01:31 PM
Asriyah stops abruptly and gazes at the destruction in numb surprise. Her expression widens into shock when Erk rushes off shouting about monsters. She's clearly conflicted. On one hand, she doesn't want to fight monsters - certainly not a dragon. On the other, her entire trip will have been a waste of time if the city burns down.

She frowns unhappily. "I suppose I should help salvage what I can. Will someone please look after Erk and make certain he doesn't kill himself?" She looks over the town, finds an unscathed area, and indicates she's heading that way.

Can I assume the town has walls and gates? Going for an undamaged one, though I don't know where Erk is heading. If we're going to the same place forget her last comment.

Also, how many people are actually traveling with us? I had assumed we were part of a caravan, but it wasn't mentioned. If so, how are others taking this? And as we close, what's the damage look like - how wide spread? And is there more danger than the dragon?

Meriss
2015-10-01, 02:02 PM
Lilli stares in horror at the smoke rising from Greenest. Oh gods Thom, now what have you done!

She starts a surprising ground eating jog towards the town.

Heartspan
2015-10-01, 02:17 PM
Quilue shoulers the lute with a twang and produces a sheathed rapier from the folds of her robes, and trots off after lili

JNAProductions
2015-10-01, 03:54 PM
Can I assume the town has walls and gates? Going for an undamaged one, though I don't know where Erk is heading. If we're going to the same place forget her last comment.

Also, how many people are actually traveling with us? I had assumed we were part of a caravan, but it wasn't mentioned. If so, how are others taking this? And as we close, what's the damage look like - how wide spread? And is there more danger than the dragon?

It does have walls and gates. Same place, so no biggie, it's forgotten.

You're by your lonesome-no caravan, no nothing. Just a few travelers heading the same way.

Damage looks pretty widespread, but it's hard to tell at this distance.

All you can see is the dragon. Is there more danger? Probably.

The town, still a decent ways away, is impractical to sprint towards. Everyone, (assuming all are agreed to carry on to Greenest), eventually settles into a swift jog, eating up the distance towards the endangered town.

As you reach the open gates, though, a group of kobolds dart out from beneath some greenery, weapons drawn. Kill them! one hisses.

Three kobolds, standing 60' away. Roll initiative.

[roll0]

darklink_shadow
2015-10-01, 04:11 PM
"Kobolds!" Erk says surprised, but not overly surprised. More like a "they jumped out and startled me" surprise.

[roll0]

Heartspan
2015-10-01, 05:53 PM
Under her hood, Quilue's features settle into a look of grim determination, upon sight of the kobolds, she unsheathes the rapier and tosses the sheathe aside. how do i roll dice?

Heartspan
2015-10-01, 09:51 PM
Here is the initiative roll: [roll0]

Meriss
2015-10-02, 05:47 AM
Lilli looks nervously at the kobolds and draws a small dagger out of her belt.

[roll0]

JNAProductions
2015-10-03, 07:45 AM
Quilue
Lilli
Kobolds
Asriyah
Erk

The kobolds stand about 60' away, just having popped out of the underbrush. You're all on a relatively clean road, 20' wide, leadings straight into the gates which are 80' away. A few feet away from the road on either side are trees that end shortly before reaching Greenest's walls.

Heartspan
2015-10-03, 12:51 PM
Quilue takes advantage of her iniative and the kobolds' aparent surprise to cast a spell. She points at the closest kobold and starts singing in elvish, a song of chaos and discord. (Dissonant whispers at the closest kobold, saving throw 13)

JNAProductions
2015-10-03, 01:01 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

A single kobold falls dead, blood pouring from its ears.

Meriss
2015-10-04, 07:27 AM
Lilli relaxes seeing the kobolds aren't as great threat as she imagined. Her small hands move in a complex pattern and she cries out as a thin blue white beam of energy leaves her hands, and targets the central kobold.

Ray of Frost
Spell Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

JNAProductions
2015-10-04, 08:50 AM
One kobold, smote by the cold, staggers towards the underbrush and attempts to conceal himself.

The other kobold charges ahead, bobbing and weaving back and forth.

One kobold now has half cover and is Dodging.

The other kobold is 25' closer and is also Dodging.

darklink_shadow
2015-10-04, 05:19 PM
Erk points at the nearby kobold with panache, and a streak of icy energy cuts towards the overgrown lizard.

Ray of Frost
Spell Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

JNAProductions
2015-10-06, 07:51 AM
The bolt of frost sails past the kobold as it jinks to the side, leaving it unharmed.

Gorgon_Heap
2015-10-06, 09:20 AM
As one creature slinks into the brush wounded, Asriyah says to her companions, "I will find it." Ignoring the final kobold's charge, she gently leaps off the road into the brush. She quietly lowers herself, allows the blades to slide from her sleeves into her waiting palms, and searches out the final kobold, hoping to grab it alive and return to the others to question it.

Rolls maybe?

Stealth [roll0]
Perception [roll1]

JNAProductions
2015-10-06, 10:26 AM
Asriyah dashes ahead, skirting around the charging kobold. The area is too open to hide, however, she easily finds the injured kobold hidden among the brush.

Gorgon_Heap
2015-10-07, 05:09 PM
On her next action... not sure if that was just a move this round or I made two moves or what.

Asriyah quickly spots the mottled orange thing crawling through the shrubs and decides to hem it in where it knows there's danger. She bounds once and then with a quick roll sets a foot and changes her direction by ninety degrees, not coming straight at it with its back to the road. She leaps low and slides toward the kobold on her flank, drawing up at the last moment with a blade at its neck and another at its belly. The implication is obvious.

It's possible between the target being outnumbered and wounded I may get advantage on my intimidate roll. I'll add it just in case.

Acrobatics [roll0]
Intimidation 1 [roll1]
Intimidation 2 [roll2]

JNAProductions
2015-10-07, 05:34 PM
I'll let this be one action, especially since it's going a lil' slow.

[roll0]

The kobold throws its weapons down, screeching out a raspy I surrender!

Meriss
2015-10-08, 02:18 PM
Lilli gathers arcane energy once more and the freezing energy lances out towards the running kobold. She readies her dagger in case the little fiend gets any closer.

Attack: [roll0]
[roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

JNAProductions
2015-10-08, 02:21 PM
The kobold, struck by frost, falls to the ground, its body iced over and unmoving.

Combat is over. You have one prisoner.

Gorgon_Heap
2015-10-08, 05:20 PM
Ariyah ungently knocks the kobold's weapons away and, slipping her knives back into her sleeves, shoves it onto the road proper to be surrounded by her companions.

OOC: It spoke common? Or draconic?

JNAProductions
2015-10-08, 05:29 PM
Common. It wants to be udnerstood.

darklink_shadow
2015-10-09, 12:36 AM
Erk walked over to the kobold that had surrendered and gave him a half-frown, half-smirk. "Tsk, tsk, tsk. Oh dear. You surrender? Alright. Unconditionally, then, of course. What happened here. Lie to me, and I'll know. And then what use will you be? Best to just tell me everything and hope your honesty is refreshing and surprising enough that we all decide to let you go."

Persuasion with just a hint of intimidation.

Considering the circumstance, I'm sure I had advantage on that intimidation, if not also the persuasion.
Entice
[roll0]
[roll1] (in case of advantage)

Frighten
[roll2]
[roll3]

JNAProductions
2015-10-09, 10:03 AM
We're here with the cult! It was their idea, not ours! the kobold says.

darklink_shadow
2015-10-09, 12:54 PM
"It was their idea?!" Erk thundered, glowering with annoyance. "You still did it. You still partook. You are at fault, and you are to blame. Tell me what happened, and why. Now! I don't care to hear another excuse!"

JNAProductions
2015-10-09, 12:56 PM
A raid! It's a raid! it screeches. We're here for treasure!

darklink_shadow
2015-10-09, 02:17 PM
Erk gestured for the other to speak, and looked away for a moment and then walked a short ways away to pick at some rubble. He clearly didn't like the answer, and had no response to it.

Meriss
2015-10-09, 08:48 PM
Lilli stalks angrily towards the kobold. Suddenly her left hand begins to burn with an eldritch green flame. "What treasure? This is a simple trading post!? Start talking or you lose fingers."

Cast minor illusion on the hand
DC 13 to disbelieve
Intimidate [roll0]

JNAProductions
2015-10-09, 08:56 PM
Jewerly! Gold! I don't know, we were just told to loot whatever we could!

Gorgon_Heap
2015-10-10, 12:36 AM
The damage to the city continues, and Asriyah glances toward it. Then at her traveling companions. "Who told you the city was free to plunder, kobold? When and where did they say as much?"

JNAProductions
2015-10-10, 09:38 AM
Some of the humans in the cult. I never got names, I swear!

Meriss
2015-10-21, 05:57 PM
Lilli glares at the kobold distastefully. "Well we've gotten all we can from him. Does someone want to kill him or are we letting him go?"

darklink_shadow
2015-10-21, 06:31 PM
Erk flourished his blade. "I have no qualms about slaying murderers, monsters or raiders. This here is a good example of all three. But he did give us something. Not very much though. Maybe if he gave us a little more useful information, we could release him."

JNAProductions
2015-10-21, 06:32 PM
I-I can lead you through! Claim you're cultists so you can move unimpeded! he shrieks out, desperate to save his own scaly skin.

darklink_shadow
2015-10-21, 07:12 PM
"Not likely. We don't really want to get led into a trap like that."

JNAProductions
2015-10-21, 07:13 PM
I swear, no trap! I swear!

Gorgon_Heap
2015-10-22, 10:48 AM
Asriyah frowns at the kobold. "Unimpeded? That makes no sense. Are cultists flooding the streets? And if so, how would they know us from anybody else?

"Let us move this along. I have business within these walls that won't do me any good if the city burns while we wait."