PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Making an Ezio?

InfinityArts
2015-09-29, 09:37 AM
Hello Playground,

Looking to optimize the standard fighter/rogue assassin, focusing on ranged combat, with the ultimate goal of making an assassin's-creed-style Ezio or Kenway. Current campaign expects to go up to level 8, so I'm hoping for the fighter 5/rogue 3 spread, just wanted some input from those who have built their character up to that point what the best path is.

Current stats: 12/19/18/16/16/16 in order, level 3 fighter (yet to specialize). DM has given me 2 "hidden" hand crossbows strapped to my arms that do not take up arm slots, as well as a buckler-style shield that gives +1 AC, also without taking up a slot.

Current party: BM TWF fighter, Warlock (tome, fiend), necromancer wizard (70% blasting, 30% controlling)

Question 1: BM or EK (even Champion?) at level 3? I'm leaning towards BM as I'm unlikely to get the level 7 archetype "feat", and BM really frontloads all of its good stuff. Haven't looked much into EK.
Question 2: Should I hit up rogue and go for assassin ASAP, or should I wait until feat (lvl 4), or even extra attack (lvl 5)?
Question 3: Fighter 4 feat: crossbow expert or sharpshooter? Or should I get resilience (Dex) for the 20 Dex? Maybe something exotic like Magic Initiate and pick up Guidance/Bless for the party?
Question 4: Halp?

Madfellow
2015-09-29, 09:49 AM
Question 1: BM or EK (even Champion?) at level 3? I'm leaning towards BM as I'm unlikely to get the level 7 archetype "feat", and BM really front-loads all of its good stuff. Haven't looked much into EK.
Question 2: Should I hit up rogue and go for assassin ASAP, or should I wait until feat (lvl 4), or even extra attack (lvl 5)?
Question 3: Fighter 4 feat: crossbow expert or sharpshooter? Or should I get resilience (Dex) for the 20 Dex? Maybe something exotic like Magic Initiate and pick up Guidance/Bless for the party?

For a fighter/rogue multiclass, champion is actually pretty good. In particular, the expanded critical hit range pairs really nicely with the rogue's sneak attack damage. It's inconsistent, but incredibly powerful when it lands. Considering that the party already has a battlemaster fighter, I think it might be in the party's better interest if you start with rogue and then move to fighter at level 4.

Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter are both good for this build, so really it's a matter of taste. Crossbow Expert lets you attack more often, giving you more chances to land a critical hit, while Sharpshooter makes your attacks more reliable and potentially more powerful. Magic Initiate is an interesting idea, especially if you pick up Cure Wounds and Spare the Dying since your party doesn't have a healer.

Good luck. :smallsmile:

MrStabby
2015-09-29, 10:19 AM
Champion is pretty awesome with assassin as well for the initiative bonus. That said I don't know it will have a lot of impact on the game given finishing level.

InfinityArts
2015-09-29, 11:38 AM
The thing with champions is, I don't think I'll get up to level 7 in fighter to take advantage of that initiative bonus.

Comparing just the level 3 bonuses:

+5% chance to do an additional 3d6 damage (1d6 crossbow, 2d6 sneak attack)
Guaranteed +1d8 plus benefits whenever I want, that ALSO gets doubled on assassinate criticals

Seems pretty no-brainer to me, is there something I'm missing?

Madfellow
2015-09-29, 01:54 PM
Is there something I'm missing?

No. As with all things it's a matter of taste. Most fighter/rogue multiclasses I've seen have been champion/assassin, if only because getting that occasional 3d6 extra damage always feels like a rush when you get it. But battlemaster is also a great archetype with a good amount of control and flexibility. I think part of it might be a general dissatisfaction with how the battlemaster scales up at higher levels. The champion's expanded critical range plays well with other classes, in particular the paladin and rogue, for players who want high "burst damage."