PDA

View Full Version : Real Life Cantrips/Orisons

Ruethgar
2015-09-29, 10:28 AM
If you could get the Magical Training, Redhead, or Minor Divine Spellcaster feats what would you choose and why?

Officially licensed and published WotC and Pathfinder spells only.

Magical Training 3/day 2/3 sorc/wiz known
Minor Divine 3/day 4 cleric known
Redhead 1/day each druid orisons 2 known or 1/day druid first 1 known

my choice would probably be:
Minor Divine Spellcaster
Create Water- Without a DM to throw a book at you, blue ice is a perfectly valid form for water to take. Add on two rain side effects if you can.

Purify Food and Drink- Who need ever throw away spoiled food again? And carcinogens? No problem! Taco Bell is now actually serving edible "food!"

Create Earth- Because instant fertile ground and rocks. Add grass growth side effect.

Mending- Replacing cure minor because I really don't get hurt that much but my computer sure could use a mending.

Flickerdart
2015-09-29, 10:55 AM
Boss
Create Water - go to California, be a boss.
Cure Minor Wounds, Detect Disease, Detect Poison, Preserve Organ - go to a hospital, be a boss.
Daze - bet on a competition, distract the person you want to lose, be a boss.
Electric Jolt - blow up electronics or taze people, be a boss police guy.
Fine-tuning - buy a garbage guitar, cast this, play like a boss.
Fire Eyes - become a fireman, see through fire and smoke like a boss.
Ghost Sound - become a special effects guy, be a boss.
Launch Item - become super good at throwing things, be a boss grenadier or sports guy.
Mage Hand - become world's first actual telekinetic, like a boss.
Mending - fix any physical damage in stuff perfectly, like a boss.
Minor Disguise - give yourself a cool scar, like a boss.
Naturewatch - become the most boss park ranger or veterinarian.
Prestidigitation - be a wizard boss.
Purify Food and Drink - never get food poisoning even from completely expired or straight up poisonous things. Be a survival boss, or go to Africa and be a boss there.

Pretty cool
Amanuensis (copying text)
Dancing Lights (fairly sophisticated light show)
Dawn (wake sleeping creatures - but more importantly wake creatures unconscious from nonlethal damage, such as boxers)
Easy Math (win every "how many jelly beans in a jar" contest forever)
Guidance (be slightly better at everything)
Message (quietly communicate with someone sort of close by)
Unnerving Gaze (seriously mess with people by making them think you look like a dead loved one)
Virtue (a temporary hit point to make you hardier)

Nifft
2015-09-29, 10:59 AM
If you could get the Magical Training, Redhead, or Minor Divine Spellcaster feats what would you choose and why?

I can't find the feat "Redhead", so I wonder what "get the Redhead" might mean.

My inner Charlie Brown is very curious about this supposed Redhead.

Ruethgar
2015-09-29, 11:13 AM
Redhead is from Ravenloft for 2 Druid Orisons or 1 first level Druid spell. I'll edit the op to reflect this, but limit it to WotC officially licensed and published products only. So yes to most Dragon Magazines, Ravenloft and Dark Sun, no to AEG, homebrew, and Legends and Lairs. Pathfinder is fine too if you really want to something from there I suppose.

Honest Tiefling
2015-09-29, 11:30 AM
Prestidigitation for sure. It might not be flashy, but now I never have to worry about a friend's kid throwing up on me or my cat barfing out of spite.

Ruethgar
2015-09-29, 11:40 AM
Arcane was very tempting for Prestidigitation, but I opted for divine. My patron deity would of course be the FSM, may his noodly appendage touch you.

Brova
2015-09-29, 11:44 AM
Get cure minor wounds 3/day. Three times per day you can make anyone stable. How much do you think a hospital would pay you to save the lives of three people every day no questions asked? Plus, you get to feel all morally superior to the people cleaning up vomit with prestidigitation.

Nifft
2015-09-29, 12:01 PM
Get cure minor wounds 3/day. Three times per day you can make anyone stable. How much do you think a hospital would pay you to save the lives of three people every day no questions asked? Nothing, because anyone who was less than 10 rounds from death would not have made it to the hospital in the first place.

Plus, you get to feel all morally superior to the people cleaning up vomit with prestidigitation. I think you're saying that you'd rather be smug and covered with cat vomit, instead of being humble and clean.

I would personally prefer humble & clean, but I won't judge.

Ruethgar
2015-09-29, 12:03 PM
If tyou wanted a bit of a show with your healing endeavors, have a few people ready to jump into a circle when you say so. Cast Create Magma with two healing side effects as they jump in. 1d6 fire damage 2d4 healing to however many can fit in a 10ft circle. Not sure a hospital would let you do that but it would look cool.

Brova
2015-09-29, 12:03 PM
Nothing, because anyone who was less than 10 rounds from death would not have made it to the hospital in the first place.

Complications from surgery are a thing. Given that people do die in hospitals, I would assume you could save them.

manyslayer
2015-09-29, 12:04 PM
Prestidigitation. Minor wish can't go far wrong.

Mending. Yeah, I'll buy that Black Lotus with the bent corner.

Nifft
2015-09-29, 12:07 PM
Complications from surgery are a thing. Given that people do die in hospitals, I would assume you could save them.

Using cure minor wound as surgery mistake insurance is a much better idea than trying to do anything useful in an emergency room.

Honest Tiefling
2015-09-29, 12:26 PM

If Prestidigitation can sanitize, it might actually be more useful given how many people have compromised immune systems especially when cut open. Getting infections during surgery is a very big problem, so they'd give me just as much money to make sure the place is clean of germs.

Nifft
2015-09-29, 12:34 PM
If Prestidigitation can sanitize, it might actually be more useful given how many people have compromised immune systems especially when cut open. Getting infections during surgery is a very big problem, so they'd give me just as much money to make sure the place is clean of germs.

Oooo, that's clever.

You might be the only person who can clean surgical instruments which have been exposed to prions.

Honest Tiefling
2015-09-29, 12:40 PM
Oooo, that's clever.

You might be the only person who can clean surgical instruments which have been exposed to prions.

Prestidigitation! Save lives! Be free of baby vomit! Never bother learning to cook again and lose weight!

Ruethgar
2015-09-29, 12:57 PM
This talk of medical application of Cantrips reminds me, there is a spell that removes scars! That would help so very much with so many medical problems and complications, but I can't find it. It was from Forgotten Realms as I recall, made by elves because they hate scars.

Damnit, can't find it. You could cure serosis with that, and solve a royal frell ton of surgery complications caused by scaring.

The Bandicoot
2015-09-29, 02:59 PM
Magical Training: Prestidigation, Mending, Electric Jolt

Two good utility spells and one minor combat one :smalltongue:

Ruethgar
2015-09-29, 03:03 PM
Purify food and drink is not a wizard spell, I would suggest mending as a replacement if you wanted utility.

Strigon
2015-09-29, 03:27 PM
Honestly, if you want a good use for Cure Minor Wounds, you could either become a battlefield medic (which would save many, many lives; just keep your head down and survive long enough to be of use), or find some rich, paranoid guy and show him your magic. Have him hire you to be by his side whenever he steps out of the house - make a mint!

Cruiser1
2015-09-29, 04:24 PM
This talk of medical application of Cantrips reminds me, there is a spell that removes scars! That would help so very much with so many medical problems and complications, but I can't find it. It was from Forgotten Realms as I recall, made by elves because they hate scars.
The spell Snowsong (Frostburn) "melts and washes away scars, wounds, and filth", however it's Brd 6 so well beyond a cantrip. The cantrip Minor Disguise (SpC) can "give you a scar", so presumably it can remove one too, although it has a duration so doesn't last.

Ruethgar
2015-09-29, 04:59 PM
It was in a list of spells that I go over often and I always look at it like "WTF who would waste a spell on that?" Grr this is going to bug me. It was either a Cantrip/Orison or a first level spell as I recall and had a name that didn't describe its effect at all.

Bullet06320
2015-09-30, 01:37 AM
I've use Redhead to get Summon Fey, after the first time I used the pixie to get irresistible dance the DM enforced The One pixie in ten can use irresistible dance rule, made me roll every time to see if I got one with irresistible dance, LOL

Rubik
2015-09-30, 02:32 AM
Prestidigitation would be the most versatile.

Cure Minor Wounds or Create Water would be the most important.

Mending would help you make the most money. "Repair your jewelry/electronics/house while you wait!"

Troacctid
2015-09-30, 03:11 AM
Prestidigitation is an easy choice, since it's so many different cantrips all in one.

One that hasn't been mentioned yet is Songbird. You can cast it to instantly improve your control over your voice, straighten your hair, and give your skin a healthy glow. While it's intended to improve musical performances, it would also be a big confidence-booster in just about any social situation.

Inevitability
2015-09-30, 10:30 AM
Magical Training: Prestidigation, Mending, Electric Jolt

Two good utility spells and one minor combat one :smalltongue:

I was going to point out that that last one was probably going to cause trouble with the authorities, then I noticed that in 90% of the USA you can just carry a taser around, no questions asked. I suppose getting on a plane would still be problematic, though.

Ruethgar
2015-09-30, 12:29 PM
Forestation: Sanctum War Nurturing Seeds(Grass Growth side effect), Sanctum War Create Water(Rain side effect)
Redhead is among the least potent generally for only having 2 spells, but it should be noted that they are SLAs while the others are spells so lower casting time and remove components. The option presented here could slowly reclaim land lost to desertification since Nurturing Seeds specifically states it can make a habitable environment for other plants. Add on rain to the seeds and take sanctum Cooling Cloud instead of Water and you could even make an oasis.

Healer: Prestidigitation, Mending, Preserve Organ
Cut out someone's liver and it is now an object, Mend it and put it back in. Preserve Organ on the brain if someone has just died while you try to resuscitate, can also use mending while they are a corpse. Prestidigitation for cleaning, can't target creatures but good for cleaning prions as mentioned before and a case could be made for targeting non-creature entities like cancerous growths and lung tar from smoking, plus who doesn't like minor wish?