PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about my char.

Varian
2007-05-18, 07:10 PM
Yea, so, its my first time making a character alone, and Im not sure if I put the ability scores in the right place for my character. I went by the book, but I was wondering if anyone with experience knew any tricks or what would be better. Anyway, here is it - Halfling Rogue:

Str - 13
Dex - 20
Con - 14
Int - 18
Wis - 10
Cha - 12

good or bad?

Solo
2007-05-18, 07:11 PM
Very good. Nice stat allocation.

What are your feats?

What is your role in the group?

Varian
2007-05-18, 07:12 PM
I took improved initave as my feat. Im the only rogue in the group, there also a fighter, a healing cleric, a necro, a ranger, and a druid

Solo
2007-05-18, 07:13 PM
So what do you want to do?

Btw, you get two feats, one for being human, one for being first level.

Magi_Ring_O
2007-05-18, 07:15 PM
Yea, so, its my first time making a character alone, and Im not sure if I put the ability scores in the right place for my character. I went by the book, but I was wondering if anyone with experience knew any tricks or what would be better. Anyway, here is it - Halfling Rogue:

Str - 13
Dex - 20
Con - 14
Int - 18
Wis - 10
Cha - 12

good or bad?

Emphasis mine.

Varian
2007-05-18, 07:15 PM
Im not human, Im a halfling. I put most of my points into open lock, disable device, bluff, that kind of stuff. If you ever read the Dragon Lance series, Im sorta-kinda basing my character off of Tasselhoff Burrhoot and the kender

Varian
2007-05-18, 07:17 PM
Emphasis mine.

Im sorry, I dont understand what your saying

Solo
2007-05-18, 07:17 PM
Oh, sorry. My mistake.

So, what is your role in the group? What do they expect you to do?

Varian
2007-05-18, 07:18 PM
I think I'm suposed to be the one to find traps and disable them, maybe get us out of prision if we get in trouble

Solo
2007-05-18, 07:20 PM
Standard fair them.

You know, dipping into Warlock would get you the Shatter spell at will, which kinda makes Disable Device and Open Lock redundent, as you can just shatter it.

Plus you get a ray attack that you can use to sneak attack with if you are stripped of gear.

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=751117

Dipping into the Warlock:
The basic reason to dip into the Warlock is for a 24 hour self-buff. 1 Level will get you 1 Invocation, and a 1d6 Eldritch Blast (Not all that useful). Good Invocations for this are: Beguiling Influence, Leaps and Bounds, Entropic Warding, See and Unseen, Baleful Utterence and Spiderwalk, depending on what you are trying to accomplish. A social Rogue, for example, could pick up a +6 unnamed bonus to Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate. A warrior could dip in for 1 level to get See the Unseen, which would grant Darkvision and See Invisibility.

Dipping for a second level gets you Detect Magic at will, and a second Invocation.

The max I would go for a dip into Warlock is 4, which nets you 3 Least Invocations, Detect Magic at will, Eldritch Blast 2d6 (Meh) Damage Reduction 1/Cold Iron, and Imbue Item, which gives you the awesome ability to take 10 on UMB checks, something shared only by the Artificier.

Varian
2007-05-18, 07:23 PM
I think my DM wants to stay to the basic books, and I dont think worlocking is in there ^_^;;

Solo
2007-05-18, 07:25 PM
Can't hurt to ask. Not like warlock is gamebreaking.*

Its a very fun class.

*Unfortunately.

Varian
2007-05-18, 07:26 PM
Well, I will defiently ask him about it, thanks

Solo
2007-05-18, 07:27 PM
And all will ph33r the power of the roguelock

The_Snark
2007-05-18, 07:27 PM
The character looks pretty good. Halflings work well as rogues, and you have a nice distribution of ability scores; Improved Initiative is nice for going first, to get in sneak attacks.

Skills, you've also got that pretty well covered, it seems; Search and Disable Device for trapfinding, Open Lock and Bluff for getting out of and keeping out of prison, respectively. Make sure you've got Hide and Move Silently too. Traditional rogue skills are pretty much what you probably want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magi_Ring_O
Emphasis mine.
Im sorry, I dont understand what your saying

He was just pointing out to the other poster that your character was a halfling, not a human.

Orak
2007-05-18, 08:36 PM
The only thing I would change would be switching Int and Con. More hit points are better than more skill points any day. And a rogue comes with a ton of skill points to start.

Other than that, are you playing in forgotten realms by chance? If you are there is the stoutheart halfling that gives you an extra feat in exchange for your racial +1 to saves bonus.

For feats I would go with improved intitiative (going first in a combat gives you sneak attack opportunities) and telling blow (from PHB II if you are allowed to access it)

Dr. Weasel
2007-05-18, 10:30 PM
Um...No. Keep the Int where it is.

You get the best skill list of any class, make the most of it. Your hit points are probably not the most important thing since you'll have sneakiness and the Evasion ability covering your health and healing is nowhere near as hard to come by as a proper skill list is.

Solo
2007-05-18, 11:46 PM
If you do it right, you can intimidate an enemy into having a -2 penalty on attack rolls and, i believe, saving throws.

Shas aia Toriia
2007-05-19, 09:26 AM
Constitution is fine where it is. She has a cleric and a druid in her party; they won't ever die, and if they die, they can be raised faster then you can say "Breath of Life" (True Res, but has to be done within one round, level 4, no material components)

Lolth
2007-05-19, 11:59 AM
Very nice. Did you roll the stats, or point buy?

CaptainSam
2007-05-20, 05:35 PM
don't forget Use Magic Device. Invaluable if your party spellcasters are down. Get some wands of Cure Light Wounds, just in case. Oh, and a wand of Magic Missile.

With a Dex like that, you should also think about getting Weapon Finesse as your next feat. Get yourself a whip and disarm anything with a weapon.

+2 BaB at level 3
+5 Dex bonus from Weapon Finesse
+2 to disarm from whip
-4 because most things will be larger than you.

this is still +5 on an opposed attack roll and no strength checks. Best of all, the whip is a melee weapon with 15 foot reach, so no attack of opportunity from the target (make sure you stay out of their reach). My DM hates that! So much so, her bad guys now always carry a back-up weapon. Even then, they don't get to hold onto them for long!

If you want to do lethal, rather than subdual damage, get a whip-dagger (if allowed).

Dizlag
2007-05-21, 01:15 PM
Assuming you're starting at first level, here's a list of things to pick for equipment.

Thieves' Tools (you'll get a -2 penalty to open lock checks without them)
Caltrops (could slow baddies down if you need too)
Chalk (draw an outline of those pressure plates you're gonna find)
Pints of oil (never know when you'll need to make a fiery 5' square)
Tingertwig or Torch (for lighting said pint of oil, hehehe)
Tanglefoot bag (if you've got the cash to start with, you'll never know when you'll need it in a pinch ... the halfling's +1 throwing will help here)

As you go up in level earning gold, think of investing into these nice little items of magic (not necessarily in this order):

Handy Haversack (2000gp, 5 lbs, but can carry all that phat lewtz! hehehe)
Wand of Knock (4500gp, puzzle box? what puzzle box! Heheeh You'll have to invest skill points in Use Magic Device though, a DC 20 check to use a wand)
Wand of Shatter (4500gp, to provide you with the Warlock suggestion of using Shatter, very nice ... again, Use Magic Device is key)
Vest of Escape (5200gp, +6 to Escape Artist checks, tools to provide +4 to open locks)
Goggles of Minute Seeing (1250gp, +2 on search checks within 1' for an extra bump in finding those traps on locks, for instance)
Goggles of the Night (12000gp, darkvision 60' ... what rogue without darkvision wouldn't want this?)
Hand of the Mage (900gp, if you don't mind having a mummified elf hand around your neck for casting Mage Hand at will ... a tricksy little spell)
Ring of Blinking (26000gp, a most expensive item, but upon command you'll be able to sneak attack all the time albeit with a 20% miss chance ... a nice item)

Oh, and if your DM will allow a couple items from Complete Adventurer:

Longspoon Thieves' Tools (good for picking locks up to 5' away ;-)
Listening Cone (+2 listening through doors)

Good luck!

Dizlag

Amiria
2007-05-21, 01:36 PM
If it is Point-buy than it would be 52 points. Oh my, in my RL-groups we only use a meagre 45 point-buy. :smalltongue:

I'd switch Wis and Cha. A better Will-save is very important, you have enough skill points to compensate for your Cha-based skills.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-05-21, 01:45 PM
This is a great build. I prefer humans, but you've worked to your advantages here. You've even got the high intelligence for the skillpoint increase that so many others neglect. You do us rogue players proud!

You'll be great as a vanilla rogue like this, actually. Look into TWF maybe. The best thing is that you never really need other classes to be a good and effective player like this, though some great ones come to mind (scout, shadowdancer for a small dip, assassin if you like hurty-stabby and are evil, and swordsage if you've got the ToB). But it looks like you know what you're doing.