PDA

View Full Version : Shape sand as a Special ability ( what do i do?)

Oharunsi
2015-09-29, 02:31 PM
what are the limits of shape sand? i have a wisdom of 36 at the moment and so i can control quite a bit of sand but have no idea what the limitations are. The book didn't help much.

Nifft
2015-09-29, 06:03 PM
Yeah the rules are kinda vague, and some interpretations seem to allow you to make poisons or food products, which IMHO is silly.

What I allow is anything that could be made from stone, wood, leather or cloth, so long as it fits within the volume given. All contiguous, and with flexible parts, but without any separate mechanical elements -- a saddle or a cart wheel would be fine, for example, but not a whole cart because that would mean axles, wheels, and whatever separate parts would be needed for yoke, steering, etc.

jiriku
2015-09-29, 06:41 PM
Be aware that the control volume of a 20-ft cube that you can affect at 36 Wisdom represents about 400 tons of sand. That is not at all convenient to carry, even if you shape it into a vehicle. Also, the volume you affect is the volume of sand, not the volume of the final produced object. If you produce something that has a largely hollow interior, such as a building, it can potentially be much, much larger than a 20-ft cube. You may find it useful to invest a rank or two in Knowledge (architecture and engineering) or Craft (shapesand) if your DM seems inclined to give you grief about building complex objects or stable structures.

No time is given for how long it takes to shape something. If we assume that you shape at the same speed as a sand shaper (p.77), then most items you might craft of 1 cubic foot or less (that's 100 lbs of shapesand) can be shaped in zero minutes -- perhaps that's a free action; ask your DM. That could mean you could shape throwing weapons fast enough to make iterative attacks with them if you have the sand on-hand. That's not really exciting, but hey it's something.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-09-29, 06:44 PM
Shape 400 tons of sand into a cilinder, roll over your enemies while you walk on the inside. The best part is where you make it exactly as wide and tall as the dungeon corridor.

Oharunsi
2015-09-29, 07:37 PM
Be aware that the control volume of a 20-ft cube that you can affect at 36 Wisdom represents about 400 tons of sand. That is not at all convenient to carry, even if you shape it into a vehicle. Also, the volume you affect is the volume of sand, not the volume of the final produced object. If you produce something that has a largely hollow interior, such as a building, it can potentially be much, much larger than a 20-ft cube. You may find it useful to invest a rank or two in Knowledge (architecture and engineering) or Craft (shapesand) if your DM seems inclined to give you grief about building complex objects or stable structures.

No time is given for how long it takes to shape something. If we assume that you shape at the same speed as a sand shaper (p.77), then most items you might craft of 1 cubic foot or less (that's 100 lbs of shapesand) can be shaped in zero minutes -- perhaps that's a free action; ask your DM. That could mean you could shape throwing weapons fast enough to make iterative attacks with them if you have the sand on-hand. That's not really exciting, but hey it's something.
You, bright up quite quite a few points ... i should ask my DM because so far i have made quite a few things like a sand bubble and traveled underground, we play on a desert based campaign to so i don't really need to carry any sand with me... it's all around.

he also told me i can make very detail things with a high enough wisdom check.

i hope it's a free action !

Oharunsi
2015-09-29, 07:39 PM
Shape 400 tons of sand into a cilinder, roll over your enemies while you walk on the inside. The best part is where you make it exactly as wide and tall as the dungeon corridor.

I will let you know how that turns out !!! i am going to try it :D

Darrin
2015-09-29, 09:11 PM
How about: F-16 Fighting Falcon. With lasers, of course.