PDA

View Full Version : How Much Should a Barbarian Multiclass?

BlackCoatedMan
2015-09-29, 03:25 PM
There are a lot of pros in getting at least three levels in any class, since that's when they get their Archetypes and such. I thought it was a good exchange for the con of not getting Indomitable Might and Primal Champion. But as I've never reached lvl 20 before, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Most of the information online, suggests dipping into another class. These are what I've seen so far.

1. 17 Barbarian Bear Totem, 3 Fighter Champion
2. 17 Barbarian Bear Totem, 3 Rogue Assasin
3. ? Barbarian Bear Totem, ? Druid Moon Circle (This actually might be druid as main, I got confused reading it)

However, I thought what about 14 Barbarian, 3 Fighter, 3 Rogue

My thought process went like this.

1. Take three levels in Barbarian. Take the Bear Totem path since everyone seems to take that path. Until this point I will be using a Greatsword.
2. Take a level in Fighter and choose Two-Weapon fighting style. As This is the fourth level I chose to take a the Dual Wielder Feat over the Ability Score Increase.
3. Swap my Greatsword for two Rapiers.
4. Take 3 levels of Rogue. This will allow me to use sneak attack, which is pretty easy to pull of as we have 3 frontliners. 4 if you count the Cleric. The mobility is also nice, along with a possible auto crit if I get a good initiative roll.
5. Take 2 more levels of fighter. The critical on 19-20 just sounds so enticing.
6. Take 11 levels in Barbarian and proceed normally.

I've only mulled over the idea a bit, so I wanted to ask if this was an ok build to run. Or if it'll actually hamper my team and the better option is just go with the established 17 Barbarian 3 Fighter. Feedback is appreciated.

CNagy
2015-09-29, 03:36 PM
Are you going to go as a Strength-based TWF Barbarian in armor, then? Also, keep in mind that reaching the 4th character level isn't what gives you an ASI, it is reaching 4th level in a class. So taking Fighter1 won't let you take Dual Wielder, but once you get to Barbarian4, you can... which brings us to all the ASIs you are leaving on the table. 14/3/3 means you'll have 3 ASIs total. That's rough.

Honestly, if you are going Strength-based as a Barbarian and you have any indication that the character is going to reach 20th level, I wouldn't multiclass at all. The Barbarian capstone is basically the best martial capstone in the game.

Lord Il Palazzo
2015-09-29, 03:45 PM
Sorry to say, but ability score increases (or feats) are tied to your individual class level, not your total character level. With Barbarian 3/Fighter 1, you won't get one until you hit forth level in one of the two classes.

BlackCoatedMan
2015-09-29, 03:48 PM
1. So if up the campaign lasts till level 20, don't multiclass.
2.Also, does this mean that I can get all the ASI if I go 12/4/4?

Tarvil
2015-09-29, 03:56 PM
Barbarian capstone is pretty sweet, if you want multiclass to make strong dex warrior, consider dipping barbarian and focus on fighter/rogue. I thought about something like this and I came up with human Barbarian 1/Fighter Battlemaster 11/Rogue Assassin 8. Fight with Scimitar/Shortsword, max DEX and CON, take Alert and Resilient (WIS)

This way, you are extremely durable, you have good nova, and a lot of attacks.

DireSickFish
2015-09-29, 04:03 PM
On Martial multiclasing I would not start dipping until you have the 2nd attack at level 5. You are giving up a lot of power for limited versatility otherwise and will fall behind damage wise to other party members.

I think you see a lot of multiclassing on the forums here not because it's optimal but because it's less boring. There are only so many levers to pull in 5th edition when making a character, class, race, background, skill selection, feats, spells, and paths taken. One of the easiest levers to pull that makes a big difference is changing up class.

The proposed build you have will work fine save the order you are taking them in. Giving up the ASI is a big deal as you won't have feats and Barbarians are one of the most MAD classes this edition oddly enough.

BlackCoatedMan
2015-09-29, 04:17 PM
This is actually our first game since 3.5 burned us out with how complicated it was. ( endless rulebook searching.) @Tarvil I think never leveling in the barbarian class after starting with it would be hilarious. The entire party's expectations will be thrown off.

Anyway, thanks for all the info. I'll be sure to ask the GM if the campaign will last till 20th level. You guys seem to think that the Barbarian capstone is pretty sweet.

TopCheese
2015-09-29, 04:36 PM
The only multiclassing I tend to really suggest to players is Rogue 2. The cunning action on the barbarian is damn scary.

You don't really need any fighting style as your class gives you all the damage you could want, if you want more, polearm GWM feats exist.

The problem with the Bearbarian is it has no way to make enemies focus on it. Yeah it can do damage but smart enemies can deal with that easy enough.

So picking up an ability that allows you to somewhat force enemies to fight you is full of win.

Taunt and Freighten maneuvers via Battlemaster will be of help.

The fighter is a great dip for striker builds.

Barbarian 2/Fighter 4/Barbarian 14 works well enough.

bid
2015-09-29, 04:48 PM
Barbarian 9 for brutal critical before getting improved critical from Champion 3 if you go crit fishing.

You gain very little from fighter before that, going barbarian 5 for your extra attack is the priority.

By then, you'll have a better idea if champion/assassin improves your RP/playstyle.

Iskande
2015-09-29, 06:30 PM
Barbarian 9 for brutal critical before getting improved critical from Champion 3 if you go crit fishing.

You gain very little from fighter before that, going barbarian 5 for your extra attack is the priority.

By then, you'll have a better idea if champion/assassin improves your RP/playstyle.

If you are playing a Half-Orc would it be ok to go Barb-5 then Fighter-3 then finish out Barb because of the racial bonus to crits? That is what I'm planning to do on my character, but second opinions always help. I figure since the racial adds an extra die, getting the increased range ASAP feels better.

Coidzor
2015-09-30, 07:00 PM
One big factor is your starting level and what level you expect the game to run to.

JellyPooga
2015-09-30, 07:36 PM
Two levels of Barbarian is a good start for many builds; Rage for +2 damage, resistance to weapon attacks and advantage on Str checks, plus advantage on melee attacks is solid gold.

After that, multiclassing starts to look tasty;

Rogue gives you a lot; Sneak Attack is reliable bonus damage combined with Reckless Attack, Expertise makes you a god of grappling and shoving, Uncanny Action makes you super maneuverable and Uncanny Dodge makes you the tankiest of tanks because it stacks with Resistance (though see later, regarding Druids).

Fighter can give you more damage with Fighting Style (with either Duelling, GWF or Two-Weapon) and Action Surge is obviously awesome. Champion lets you crit-fish, which is particularly good in combination with either Rogue and/or Half-Orc. Battlemaster gives you some nice maneuvers, but some of the better ones can be duplicated better with a high Athletics combined with Advantage on Str checks from Rage.

Ranger gives you more attacks with Horde-breaker, amplifying you bonus damage from Rage, as well as granting a Fighting Style. Aside from that, you're only really looking at fluff and out-of-combat utility; I wouldn't recommend more than a 3 level dip.

Monk can make an interesting multiclass. Flurry of Blows gives you two attacks for your Bonus Action, which is two attacks that both benefit from your Rage bonus damage. Fighter 11/Monk 2/Ranger 3/Barbarian 1 gets 6 Attacks per round, each of which has +2 damage (potentially +4 with Duelist Fighting Style, if your GM is nice and lets it apply to Unarmed strikes).

Druid (Moon) is the best single classed tank. Combined with Barbarian it becomes even tankier. Further combined with Rogue, it becomes the ultimate tank. Be a Half-Orc as well and the GM will find it virtually impossible to kill your character outside of Save-or-Die or deus-ex effects (and an Oath of Ancient Paladin buddy makes even those much rarer foils). Barbarian 1/Druid (Moon) 2/Rogue 5 is the point at which this takes off, but it's not until Barbarian 3 and Rogue 7 does it begin to realise its full potential.

Mechaviking
2015-09-30, 08:15 PM
I´ve Been toying with a Bardbarian

Barbarian 5/Lorebard the rest.

You mostly get out of combat utility but you can do pretty cool combos with armor of agathys, rage and such, as well as double prof. on athletics and disarms and such.

But that is more of a fluff character than anything else, but I like combining fluffy and effective characters :D.

Most games never reach lvl 20, my highest level game was 13, I have hopes for elemental evil, but I´m not sure.

My advice is to stick to one class until you get the extra attack and then think about how much you gain with multiclassing.

Other than that go nuts:

Conan Barbarian/rogue/fighter
Rexxar Barbarian/ranger or Ranger/Barbarian

People have told you alot about the breakpoints

http://orclabs.com/2015/01/25/5th-edition-dd-limit-breaks-part-3/

Here is a blogpost about it :D Read up and good luck, also read the rules carefully and don´t assume anything(the ability increase rule for example), when in doubt ask here and then talk with your dm.

djreynolds
2015-10-01, 04:17 AM
Take at least 14 -16 in barbarian for the last totem. Sounds crazy but just dip fighter for 2 in their somewhere after 5th for action surge and GWS. Go back to barbarian for a little bit and then grab rogue for 2 for cunning action and expertise in athletics.

Now you can shove with advantage and with action surge take advantage of it. Some say I'm crazy but I like shield master, shoving without uses your attack action, but with shield master it is a bonus action.

Malifice
2015-10-01, 09:46 AM
My thought process went like this.

1. Take three levels in Barbarian. Take the Bear Totem path since everyone seems to take that path. Until this point I will be using a Greatsword.
2. Take a level in Fighter and choose Two-Weapon fighting style. As This is the fourth level I chose to take a the Dual Wielder Feat over the Ability Score Increase.

You only get the feat at 4th level in a single class, not 4th Character level.

Also - Stick with Barbarian till 5th. You do not want to delay extra attack for any reason other than fluff (get a concept up and off the ground), and even then not by more than a single level.

JellyPooga
2015-10-01, 11:32 AM
Also - Stick with Barbarian till 5th. You do not want to delay extra attack for any reason other than fluff (get a concept up and off the ground), and even then not by more than a single level.

Ordinarily I'd agree with you, but a Barbarian/Moon Druid can functionally get an effective Extra Attack earlier than 5th going Barbarian 2/Druid 2 using Wild Shape, whilst still enjoying Rage and Reckless Attack benefits. It is a fairly niche sort of build, though.

Theodoxus
2015-10-01, 12:05 PM
If you are playing a Half-Orc would it be ok to go Barb-5 then Fighter-3 then finish out Barb because of the racial bonus to crits? That is what I'm planning to do on my character, but second opinions always help. I figure since the racial adds an extra die, getting the increased range ASAP feels better.

Definitely viable. Getting a 3d12 Greataxe+16 (or more) crit is amazeballs... Though personally, I decided that a 4d10+16 (or more) crit at 9th was more fun, though I lack the fighter benies. But getting both GWM and PAM made up for that loss - in my opinion. But I was also building with my party in mind, and we desperately needed some BFC and PAM (along with Sentinal at 12th) will handily supply.

If you're looking for a pure bruiser without additional battlefield utility, Barb5/Fighter3 is one of the top builds.

I would also recommend either Wolf if you're with melee friends (especially a tank friend who will be taking the brunt of attacks anyway - or if you're not facing things that bring more than weaponized hurt (Bear is nice, but if you're never facing magic, that extra protection it affords is wasted)). Or going the unconventional Berserker route (which I did). It actually plays better than it looks - and if you have a generous DM who isn't fond of the harsh exhaustion rules, even better.

Malifice
2015-10-01, 08:40 PM
Ordinarily I'd agree with you, but a Barbarian/Moon Druid can functionally get an effective Extra Attack earlier than 5th going Barbarian 2/Druid 2 using Wild Shape, whilst still enjoying Rage and Reckless Attack benefits. It is a fairly niche sort of build, though.

Agree. Dipping druid 2 or 3 for Bear on a Bearbarian 3 is both fluffy and potent (to the point of being OP).

BlackCoatedMan
2015-10-02, 02:08 AM
You only get the feat at 4th level in a single class, not 4th Character level.

I got the rules of ASI now, as many others have pointed out.

Man, this is a lot info. Tasty Barbarian builds. I think I have to find more games. XD

Malifice
2015-10-02, 03:27 AM
I got the rules of ASI now, as many others have pointed out.

Man, this is a lot info. Tasty Barbarian builds. I think I have to find more games. XD

I would stick with Barbarian till 5th (dont pass go, dont collect 200 bucks) unless turning into a bear sounds like fun.

Go human. Take GWM at 1st. Reckless attack + GWM -5/+10 is damage madness. Feats to consider are lucky, resilient (wisdom) and alert in that order. ASI's after this should go to Con and Dex (assuming your game has 'standard' magic items, Str boosting items are your first priority).

Max: Str (16) Con (16) Dex (14) in that order. Dump Int and Cha to 8. Wisdom at least 10.

Bear totem is great but overrated. Normal rage gives you half damage from most attacks you are likely to face in melee combat. You wont notice the difference most rounds. Wolf totem is the best totem if you have at least one other primary melee character in your party (it grants your allies perma advantage on anyone you stand near); it's criminally underrated.

Ride barbarian out to 5th, then dip into Fighter (champion or BM) for 3 levels for action surge, GWS fighting style, second wind and archetype. If you go BM, select (accurate strike, tripping stike, and menacing strike) for your manouvers.

From there either dip 2 levels of Rogue (for expertise in perception and athletics, and cunning action) or jump back to barbarian and stick it out to 20th level.

Get your hands on a girlde of giant strength and a big scary axe at the first opportunity.

Smash face.

djreynolds
2015-10-02, 04:50 AM
Barbarians capstone is so far away. rogue 1 is 500 xp away. Expertise level 1. Too easy not too. Cunning action at 2. Fighter action surge. So many builds are based on 2 rogue and 3 fighter, or 3 rogue and 3 fighter. Especially if you're jumping in at higher level. Action surge will compensate till you get a second attack.

Malifice
2015-10-02, 07:57 AM
Barbarians capstone is so far away. rogue 1 is 500 xp away. Expertise level 1. Too easy not too. Cunning action at 2. Fighter action surge. So many builds are based on 2 rogue and 3 fighter, or 3 rogue and 3 fighter. Especially if you're jumping in at higher level. Action surge will compensate till you get a second attack.

Every level of fighter or rogue delays feats, extra attack, brutal critical, indomitable rage, etc etc

Its nice, but not the no brainer you suggest it is.

djreynolds
2015-10-02, 09:57 AM
Fair enough. But expertise is like +6 sword. Double proficiency is huge in terms of shoving coupled with advantage from rage.

But perhaps the player just wants to lay down the smack. And then I would forget multiclassing all together.

Barbarians and paladins can go far on just ASI and like GWM. Both classes are loaded.

So you suggest wait til at least 5th til you grab up a dip in something.

I wish the skilled feat just allowed you to double up a proficiency also. That's a cool fix

Malifice
2015-10-02, 10:00 AM
Fair enough. But expertise is like +6 sword. Double proficiency is huge in terms of shoving coupled with advantage from rage.

But perhaps the player just wants to lay down the smack. And then I would forget multiclassing all together.

Barbarians and paladins can go far on just ASI and like GWM. Both classes are loaded.

So you suggest wait til at least 5th til you grab up a dip in something.

I wish the skilled feat just allowed you to double up a proficiency also. That's a cool fix

I have a home brew feat that does just that. Also grants +1 to the ability score the skill runs off.

djreynolds
2015-10-02, 10:15 AM
That should've been in the errata.

My wizard would love expertise in acrobatics, getting knocked prone because of crappy prepared spells with no defensive ones.

" You told me not to worry, you had everything under control. Prepare lightning bolt instead of mirror image. You won't need it."