PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Variant Multiclassing and You

ThinkMinty
2015-09-29, 04:27 PM
So, about that Variant Multiclassing...what works and what doesn't?

Also what're the costs of doing so? It says something about feats or something, but I zone out when reading that section for some reason.

Vhaidara
2015-09-29, 04:42 PM
It costs you your feats for levels 3, 7, 11, 15, and 17. These are the feats you normally get for levelling.

As far as what works, there's a guide somewhere. Novawurmson wrote it.

Psyren
2015-09-29, 04:44 PM
It costs you 5 feats - half of your progression. These are the ones at 3, 7, 11, 15 and 19. In exchange you get some class features from another class - generally watered down, but for the most part they still scale with you.

Some choices can be quite strong with the right combo - Wizard, Cleric and Oracle give you plenty to choose from. Others not so much - Fighter and Gunslinger are largely seen as a waste of time.

There's a thread where we were brainstorming the better ones that I'm too lazy to find.

Baroncognito
2015-09-29, 05:28 PM
The thread I found when looking for stupid Variant Multiclassing tricks was this one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?435595-PF-The-ABC-s-of-VMC-%28Variant-Multiclassing%29&p=19705223&viewfull=1#post19705223).

Edit:

That said, Dirty Tactics toolbox seems to offer support for Arcane Trickster, in that there's one feat that increases your sneak attack by 1d6 and another feat (that you can take multiple times) that increases Impromptu Sneak Attack usages.

So now, with Variant Multiclasses, you can single class wizard into Arcane Trickster without any retraining.

Snowbluff
2015-09-29, 05:35 PM
It's... meh. I was pretty excited, but getting 5 feats worth of value of it can be tricky.

Also, what the hell is up with the monk VMC? You can't use armor while using your monk abilities, but you don't get the Wis to AC. :s

Psyren
2015-09-29, 05:44 PM
It's... meh. I was pretty excited, but getting 5 feats worth of value of it can be tricky.

Also, what the hell is up with the monk VMC? You can't use armor while using your monk abilities, but you don't get the Wis to AC. :s

You can just wear armor until the ki pool kicks in, by which point you should be able to afford bracers or something. It's nice on a Ninja

Vhaidara
2015-09-29, 05:51 PM
You can just wear armor until the ki pool kicks in, by which point you should be able to afford bracers or something. It's nice on a Ninja

Well, the unarmed strike is a secondary ability. As is the Evasion.

So you're basically saying set your third and seventh level feats on fire until 11th level.

Even then, what does the ki pool get you? Magic, Silver/Cold Iron, and Admanatine (at level 18)? Swift action +20ft move speed for one round? Swift action +4 AC for one round? You can't use the extra attack, that only works in a flurry.

Psyren
2015-09-29, 06:06 PM
Well, the unarmed strike is a secondary ability. As is the Evasion.

So you're basically saying set your third and seventh level feats on fire until 11th level.

The only class I can think of using it on is a Ninja - and they don't particularly care about either of those. You have good reflex saves anyway and you can just use a weapon. In fact, everything the class gives you, you'd have had to pay for using ninja tricks and feats anyway, so you actually come out ahead.

Even then, what does the ki pool get you? Magic, Silver/Cold Iron, and Admanatine (at level 18)? Swift action +20ft move speed for one round? Swift action +4 AC for one round? You can't use the extra attack, that only works in a flurry.

Er... it's ki mang. It stacks with your own ki pool. Ki is good!