PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Freelancers of Power [Spheres of Power Project]

Der_DWSage
2015-09-29, 04:48 PM
This is for those that are working on the freelance project for Spheres of Power, details found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?446313-Drop-Dead-Studios-Call-for-Spheres-of-Power-Freelancers!&p=19887949#post19887949). This post is an index, as it's quite likely some people will be posting before all the spheres are claimed and fleshed out.

Spheres

Sphere
Claimed?
Author
Deadline

Alteration
Yes
Unknown
Unknown

Conjuration
Yes
Keledrath
Unknown

Creation
Yes
Spikeof2010
Unknown

Dark
Yes
GalvinStarlight
February 1

Death
Yes
Unknown
Unknown

Destruction
Yes
Stack
March 1

Divination
No

Enhancement
Maybe
Amechra
January 25

Fate
No

Illusion
No

Life (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19888239&postcount=3)
Yes
Der_DWSage
October 19

Light
Maybe
Palanan
Unknown

Mind
Yes
Afgncaap5

Nature
Yes
Mehangel
January 1

Protection
No

Telekinesis
Yes
AmberVael
December 1

Time (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19897623&postcount=16)
Yes
Kira_The_5th
January 4

War
No

Warp
No

Weather (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19897934&postcount=17)
Yes
Adam1949
Late January

AmberVael
2015-09-29, 05:00 PM
Hmm, I might have placed this in the 3.5 forum. Its not exactly homebrew since there will be official publication, and that's where all the DSP threads are.

I'm planning on tackling Telekinesis and all its associated shenanigans, and Adam and I are tentatively considering trying to wrap it up around December 1st.

Der_DWSage
2015-09-29, 05:05 PM
Life Sphere - Not even out of Brainstorming phase just yet.
Status

Introduction
Something something I'm working with Life here, which means all kinds of shenanigans based around restoring HP and making sure other people can't. Also helping with the fact that Mundanes tend to soak up more damage than anyone else.

Archetypes

Armorist
Summoning Healer -Replaces Summon Weapon with Summon Potion.
Arcanist
-Give up 3 Exploits for life-manipulating techniques
White Mage Adaptation
Alchemist
Miracle Worker -Give up infusions for enhanced healing?
Barbarian
Lifebreaker -Give up Trap Sense, DR for Temporary HP and life-stealing attacks
Druid
Lifebringer -Give up natural bond for spontaneous access to the Life Sphere.
Eliciter
New Emotion -Robust, which makes all healing they receive Empowered.
Fey Adept
Mockery of Life -Remove Darkvision for a talent, Alter Create Reality, give up Shadow Weather and Shadow Creation for Temporary HP and minor healing.
Fighter
Robust Fighter -Give up Armor and Weapon training, become a D12 HD and gain limited self-healing abilities.
Mageknight
New Mystic Combats -Steal Healing Spells cast on an opponent, Empower/Maximize incoming healing spells, force SR on opponents in regards to healing.
Monk
Soul Adept -Alter stunning fist to become akin to Paladin Mercies, add Life talents with Ki pool.
Paladin
Paladin of Restoration-¾ caster with Life talents, alters auras, Divine Bond.
Unstoppable Paladin -Alter Smite Evil to grant Fast Healing, resistance to status effects.
Ranger
Natural Healer -Replace Companions with enhanced techniques for Heal, skill unlocks for Heal, and faster healing from rest.
Shifter
Flesh Healer -Alter Shapeshift, lower duration of shapeshift, add Fast Heal while Shapeshifted.
Summoner
Angel Summoner -Summons companions that gain Healing talents. This replaces most even-level class features.
Thaumaturge
Life Pact -Can use Forbidden Lore without
Witch/Shaman
New Hexes -One to force SR against healing spells, one to remove Fast Heal/Regeneration, one to make the next healing spell on the target Empowered.

Feats

Easier To Heal
Requirements:None.
A number of times per day equal to your Constitution modifier, when receiving healing from any source, you may regain an additional amount of HP to your level. This may be used in conjunction with Receptive Body and Receptive Soul.
Receptive Body
Requirements:Base Fortitude save +4, Easier to Heal.
You recover more from healing spells. A number of times per day equal to your constitution modifier, when receiving healing from a magical source, you may treat the healing as though it were Empowered. This does not improve healing that was already empowered. This may be used in conjunction with Easier to Heal and Receptive Soul.
Receptive Soul
Requirements:Receptive Healing.
A number of times per day equal to your Constitution Modifier, when receiving healing from a magical source, you may treat the healing as though it were Maximized. This may be used in conjunction with Easier to Heal and Receptive Body.
Powerful Healing
Requirements:One Life Talent, Empower Spell.
When you use a Life talent on an ally, all rolled 1s and 2s are treated as 3s. This does not include the use of Life Talents from magic items such as Wands or Potions.
Twist Channeling
Requirements:Versatile Channeler, Selective Channeler
Whenever a Channel Energy effect is used within 30 feet of you, you may use one of your own uses of Channel Energy and attempt a MSB check against the source as an immediate action. If you succeed, you decide which targets are affected by the Channel Energy.

Rituals
Magic Items
Templates/Monsters
Alternate Rules
Organizations

Der_DWSage
2015-09-29, 05:10 PM
Hmm, I might have placed this in the 3.5 forum. Its not exactly homebrew since there will be official publication, and that's where all the DSP threads are.

I'm planning on tackling Telekinesis and all its associated shenanigans, and Adam and I are tentatively considering trying to wrap it up around December 1st.

While true, it's kind of in an odd spot-Homebrew that's being cleaned up for publication. Besides, I was planning on putting a link to this topic in the Freelancers one, and vice versa, so hopefully that'll result in increased visibility.

Vhaidara
2015-09-29, 05:24 PM
I'm going back and for the between doing Occult Adventures and the Conjuration book.
Occult would be a nice thing to have, but I'm not sure there's enough material for a full book. Then again, I'm terrible at word count. Are these supposed to be closer to the original book or to the Expanded Options? If it's the Expanded Options, I might be able to pull together something like Expanded Options 2, with some more of the same (FCB, Occult Archetypes, some new stuff for mainline spheres classes)

If we're going longer, Conjuration takes the cake, but one of the main features I was looking at was a Summoning Sphere, which stack beat me to. And what he has honestly looks a lot like one of the two main ways I was going to end up doing it. But some of the other ideas I have
Armorist archetype that places [form] talents on his equipment, and gets the benefits of the talent himself when using it
Symbiat archetype that pulls some inspiration from the Occult Spiritualist: Their companion lives in their mind, providing some benefits while not summoned. But, the distinction is that when it is summoned, the Symbiat takes up residence in the mind of the companion. You only ever have one body on the board, but you can tag-team.
Companion Archetypes, similar to how there are familiar archetypes in first party
Twin Soul Thaumaturge, which would be a PoW crossover. Thaumaturge archetype that gives both the character and the companion access to martial maneuvers. Because seriously, how do we not have an official archetype from SOMEONE for that.

stack
2015-09-29, 05:26 PM
I've got some material for destruction, haven't heard from Adam though.

Adam1949
2015-09-29, 05:31 PM
As mentioned in the other thread, I'd be happy to help out! Alteration, Nature, and/or Weather would be fantastic to give a shot, and in addition I've thought of both a DSP/SoP crossover as well as converting the Monk into Spheres (similar to Quiggong Monk, but more Sphere-y).

Mehangel
2015-09-29, 05:46 PM
I also think that this thread might be more appropriate in the 3.5 forum for similar reasons.

Anyways, I claimed working on the Nature Sphere with deadline of January 1st, 2016.

stack
2015-09-29, 06:43 PM
I also have an archetype for the hedgewitch for war that I would share with anyone working on war.

spikeof2010
2015-09-29, 07:25 PM
I'd like to do some stuff with Creation Sphere

Afgncaap5
2015-09-30, 11:14 AM
I don't know if anyone else's already requested it, but when I PMed my request I mentioned Mind as a possible first choice. Of course, if someone else has already sent that request in, I'll likely have to do something else.

AmberVael
2015-09-30, 05:12 PM
So I've been lining up my ideas, and an important question occurred to me: What kind of material do you think people are most interested in, in terms of these books? New talents? Prestige classes and archetypes? Rituals, incantations, and spellcrafting? Feats? Magic items?

I figure most of you are big enough fans that your own opinions on the subject are quite relevant. My own thoughts immediately went towards talents.

Vhaidara
2015-09-30, 05:23 PM
I'm going to focus on Talents, archetypes, feats, and advice

Talents, obviously, are new spells, effectively

Archetypes are how you customize a character now. Feats likewise.

Advice is a bit of a special case, since I'm looking to do Conjuration: I have a section planned for building iconic monsters as companions

Prestige classes are generally pretty obsolete in PF from what I've seen, and I'm not sad to see them go. Never was a huge fan. PoW:E has some good ones, but it takes some real inspiration to convince me something shouldn't be an archetype or base class.

Rituals, incants, and spellcrafting are all pretty much independent systems.

Adam1949
2015-09-30, 05:54 PM
As a consumer, my favorite sort of releases include things like new basic options (in this case Talents and Advanced Talents), Feats, Archetypes, and possibly Prestige Classes if they fit. Advice is useful, but it's not strictly necessary; after all, what the designer aims for and what the player does with said creations oftentimes doesn't match up, and even advice from a "hey, these three separate options combo REALLY WELL together" leads to either stagnation or being ignored. Still, advice is handy.

I've talked with Adam Meyers and hopefully will get a Sphere to work on; here's hoping!

stack
2015-09-30, 11:04 PM
Okay, I'm claiming destruction, date isnt fixed yet but I'm thinking March. Should have a solid start on talents up for review in the next week or so, archetypes and all that will take longer.

Kira_the_5th
2015-10-01, 01:43 PM
Kira_the_5th, reporting in as the Time author with a final deadline of January 4th, 2016.

I'm still primarily in Brainstorming now, but my final goal is to have, ideally, at least one archetype for each of the Spheres classes, as well as a few archetypes I've already worked out for existing classes (namely Bard and Inquisitor right now, with a Gunslinger archetype on the "maybe" list). In addition, I'd like a few more Talents, a few magic items, a new monster somewhat based on the old 3.0 Quarut (i.e. an Inevitable that hunts down people who abuse time travel). Lastly, if word count and time permits, I'd like to have a bit of discussion on how to incorporate time travel as a major or minor part of your campaign.

New Talents:
Time Distortion Field: Slow time around you, create difficult terrain for any who enter

Inertial Dampening: Suppress a negative effect for concentration (or CL rounds for SP)

Temporal Flux: I don’t know what this does yet, but I want to name something this.

Double Time: The caster pulls a copy of themselves from the future, who fights alongside the caster for a limited time. When the time expires, the future self pulls the present self (now the future self) into the time vortex that summoned them initially. The caster is removed from time for an equal number of rounds to the rounds they kept their future self around before returning to the present stunned for an equal number of rounds due to the stress of such a blatant assault on causality.

At least three more beyond this.

Archetypes:
Armorist:
Eternal Vaultkeeper*. Summons legendary weapons from history, imbued with the power of their legends.
Futurist (Maybe). A magical gunslinger who uses time to advance the tech level of their firearms.

Elementalist:
Insert Elementalist archetype here.

Elicitor:
Insert Elicitor archetype here.

Fey Adept
. Master of time distortions and alternate time flows (think Rip Van Winkle; a night’s rest in the fey realm equating to 20 years on the material. Those sorts of distortions.)

Hedgewitch
Insert Hedgewitch archetype here. Perhaps a "Self Taught" Discipline, in the sense that your magic was taught to you by your future self.

Incantor
[I]Time Lord. Less Doctor Who, more Ultima, the Time Lord is a powerful spellcaster who watches over the flow of time.

Mageknight
Swiftsword*. An adaptation of the old Quickblade PrC from 3.5. The Swiftsword masters fighting while under the influence of haste and other, similar effects.

Shifter
Insert Shifter archetype here.

Soul Weaver
Heroic Medium. A Soul Weaver who draws forth the souls of ancient heroes, borrowing their strength or sharing it with others.

Symbiat
Insert Symbiat archetype here.

Thaumaturge
Insert Thaumatruge archetype here.

Bard
Tempoist. Master of manipulating the battlefield via “tempo,” granting time-based buffs to allies or debuffs to enemies.

Gunslinger
Futurist (Maybe). A magical gunslinger who uses time to advance the tech level of their firearms. Gunslingers normally aren’t a “sphere class,” but I’m going to work out which is easier; getting the Armorist to use guns, or the Gunslinger to use spheres.

Inquisitor
Timewarden. An inquisitor dedicated to hunting down those who would risk endangering the space-time continuum with excessive time travel. Basically a Time Cop.

*I'm looking for/into better names for these.

Monsters:
Quarut*, Inevitable
Strange, non-Euclidean Inevitables that keep watch over the flow of time, these guardians of the time stream strike out at those who meddle in the affairs of the past and future. Quarut concern themselves only with particularly egregious disruptions of time, typically letting those who used time travel in self preservation be left to the Marut's jurisdiction. Quaruts concern themselves with much greater troubles, such as those who would look to rewrite history, assassinate historical dictators, or change the fate of a plane.

Quaruts have a strange relationship with Hounds of Tindalos. Many Quaruts see the creatures as no more than looters and vermin; scavengers who take advantage of a chaotic situation to feed their own desires. Occasionally, however, a Quarut will attempt to tame the beasts, using them as scouts and trackers to hunt down its prey. After all, where the Hounds of Tindalos go, time distortions follow, like rats out of a sinking ship.

Again, I'm looking for a better name. I'd rather these things be their own creation, and I'm just using Quarut as a placeholder since it's the closest thing that fits.
Quarut Statblock WIP

Quarut, Inevitable (CR 17)
102,400 XP
LN Large Outsider (extraplanar, inevitable, lawful)
Init +7, Senses darkvision 60 ft, Perception +10
Defense
AC , touch , flat-footed (calc)
hp 256 (18d10+144); regeneration 10 (chaotic)
Fort +22, Ref +15, Will +20
Defensive Abilities constructed, temporal anchor; DR 15/chaotic; SR 20
Offense
Speed 30 ft
Melee +2 magical (maybe axiomatic?) flail +30/+25/+20/+15 (damage calc) or slam +28 (damage calc)
Special attacks temporal disruption,
Space 10 ft; Reach 10 ft
Spell-Like Abilities
To Be Added

Statistics
Str 30, Dex 16, Con 26, Int 14, Wis 22, Cha 16
Base Atk +18; CMB +28; CMD 32
Feats
Skills
Languages truespeech
SQ
Gear
Special Abilities
Temporal Anchor (Su): The Quarut is immune to all magical attempts to tamper with time, including but not limited to spells such as slow or time stop, as well as talents from the Time sphere.

Adam1949
2015-10-01, 02:45 PM
I have successfully obtained the Weather Sphere. Check back here for more updates until the due date of Late January!

ARCHETYPES OF POWER (Note: All archetypes that modify a spellcasting Paizo class assume that you do not have the Spherecasting version of the class, but they ARE stackable on-top of each other).

Spherecasting Archetypes
Elementalist (Tempest Eye), Fey Adept (Herald of Gaia), Hedge Witch (Unnamed), Symbiat (Unnamed)

Paizo Archetypes
Barbarian (Sturmundrang), Druid (Stormwarden), Fighter (Forecaster), Skald (Windwaker), Kineticist (Maelstrom)

stack
2015-10-01, 02:57 PM
I don't know that having an archetype for every class for every sphere is necessarily desirable. While some combinations work and good ideas should of course be followed through with, we ought be careful not to force archetypes just to check off a box. Not saying people are doing that, just a caution as I started down that line of thinking myself at first. There are a ton of Paizo archetypes for Paizo classes that no one ever touches, we don't want to mimic that.

Vhaidara
2015-10-01, 03:02 PM
Yeah, my current plans are for Armorist and Symbiat, with ideas bouncing around for Thaumaturge/Elementalist/Hedgewitch (haven't decided which class the idea works best for) and a really odd one I need to work out for Fey Adept.

stack
2015-10-01, 03:23 PM
I have a solid idea for a shifter archetype, a vague concept for the thaumaturge, and a general notion that will probably land on the elementalist. A destruction handbook can hardly ignore the elementalist, obviously.

spikeof2010
2015-10-02, 03:41 AM
Yep yup. Is it okay if I claim Creation? I've got a few ideas including more materials, archetypes for the Armorist and other things. Would "Cross-Sphere" things be a good idea?

stack
2015-10-02, 06:12 AM
Yep yup. Is it okay if I claim Creation? I've got a few ideas including more materials, archetypes for the Armorist and other things. Would "Cross-Sphere" things be a good idea?

Ask Adam. Post in the other thread (phone so no link) or shoot him a pm.

Adam1949
2015-10-02, 09:17 AM
Ask Adam. Post in the other thread (phone so no link) or shoot him a pm.

It should be specified: Ask Adam Meyers, not me.

stack
2015-10-02, 10:45 AM
Thread link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?446313-Drop-Dead-Studios-Call-for-Spheres-of-Power-Freelancers!)

Der_DWSage - can you update the table showing me as having destruction with a March 1 date? Thanks.

At a sample new talent, for your reading pleasure:

Clinging Blast
You may spend an additional spell point to have all damage from the destructive blast be treated as continuous for the purposes of any concentration checks made by the target prior to the beginning of the your next turn.
(Design note - basically stealing a magus arcana here, but really, having your skin on fire should be distracting, right? Should be a nice way to slow down casters as those concentration checks can be get nasty.)

I won't be posting a doc until I have it better filled out. Too many ideas I need to write down and re-read and check before showing them to the world.

edit - a template idea as well, though it needs a few more talents to be finished to round out the table:

“Destructive Elemental” is an acquired template that can be applied to any air, earth, fire, or water elemental (referred to hereafter as the base creature). A destructive elemental creature uses all the base creature's statistics and special abilities, except as noted here.

Challenge Rating: Same as base creature +1.

Casting: The destructive elemental gains a caster level equal to its hit dice and the destruction sphere as a bonus sphere and one blast type talent according to its element, as well as a spell pool equal to its CL plus its Charisma modifier. The destructive elemental may not use the default destructive blast and may only choose blast types according to its type, listed below, but may select other talents normally. The destructive elemental gains one talent every odd HD beyond the first.

Elemental Type Available Blast Types
Air Air Blast, Electric Blast, Thunder Blast
Earth Acid Blast, Crystal Blast, Stone Blast
Fire Fire Blast,
Water Cold Blast

Amechra
2015-10-02, 02:31 PM
It's not "official", but I have claimed Enhancement, with a January 25 deadline.

Adam1949
2015-10-02, 06:29 PM
It occurred to me that, as the person in charge of Weather, a lot of cool effects that would fit are also connected to other Spheres, such as Destruction and Nature. I feel as though it could be beneficial if everyone involved helped each other with some concepts and ideas. How's this sound to everyone as an option? I'm not sure if it'd be a talent, or a feat, or a trait, or what, but here it is the general idea would be:

"You can now apply X talents with Y ability. You must have both spheres and use it at the weakest CL of either."

This would be extended to various specific talents or abilities. For instance:

"Aqua Vitae: Whenever you use a Nature (Water) or Weather (Precipitation) Talent, you may also spend an extra spell point to include the effect of the Life Sphere's Invigorate or Cure abilities (paying the cost for those abilities as well). You must be able to use the Life Sphere and at least one of the Nature or Weather Spheres."

What does everyone think? It could open up some major doors with creating things.

Vhaidara
2015-10-02, 06:37 PM
Sounds like Spellcrafting, to be honest.

stack
2015-10-02, 06:47 PM
Adding spheres together wholesale does cross into spellcrafting, though if done in certain ways it could work. Have to be careful though, as things can get really powerful.

I am adding an admixture talent to destruction for on-the-fly combining blast types, but that is very narrow.

Adam1949
2015-10-02, 07:09 PM
It's just that I've been talking with some friends who are suggesting things like "Bull Rush wind-sword" or "stunning fist at-range with actual lightning", but those feel very close to Destruction and Nature; they're not quite Spellcrafting, but they aren't exactly single-Sphered either, you know?

Mehangel
2015-10-02, 07:15 PM
It occurred to me that, as the person in charge of Weather, a lot of cool effects that would fit are also connected to other Spheres, such as Destruction and Nature. I feel as though it could be beneficial if everyone involved helped each other with some concepts and ideas. How's this sound to everyone as an option? I'm not sure if it'd be a talent, or a feat, or a trait, or what, but here it is the general idea would be:

"You can now apply X talents with Y ability. You must have both spheres and use it at the weakest CL of either."

This would be extended to various specific talents or abilities. For instance:

"Aqua Vitae: Whenever you use a Nature (Water) or Weather (Precipitation) Talent, you may also spend an extra spell point to include the effect of the Life Sphere's Invigorate or Cure abilities (paying the cost for those abilities as well). You must be able to use the Life Sphere and at least one of the Nature or Weather Spheres."

What does everyone think? It could open up some major doors with creating things.

As someone working on the Nature Sphere, I have written up a couple of feats that work like that.. here are two examples of the feats:

Alloy Creation
By combining both the sphere of creation and geomancy of metal, you have learned to combine and use them interchangeably.
Prerequisite: Creation Sphere, Metal Geomancing.
Benefit: You may spend an additional spell point when using the Creation Sphere’s alter ability (including creation talents marked as (alter) which grant new ways to use the ability). If you do, you may alter any type of metal that you may use the recover ore geomancing ability, even if you do not have the Creation Sphere’s expanded materials talent.

Alloy Enhancement
By combining both the sphere of enhancement and geomancy of metal, you have learned to magically affect the metal as you work with it.
Prerequisite: Enhancement Sphere, Metal Geomancing.
Benefit: Whenever you use a metal geomancing ability, which requires earth or metal (such as caltrops or recover ore) you may choose to enhance the metal (using the enhancement sphere). Using this feat costs additional spell points equal to 1 + any spell point costs that the enhance ability requires.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: As a side note, below is one of the archetypes that I will be including in the Nature handbook (and yes it is made to be compatible with the Symbiotic Knight archetype from Spheres of Power Expanded.

Warden (Armorist archetype)

Not all armorists are knights clad in shining steel plate armor, some infact are remote sentinels watching over the forest priest’s groves with brute force and primal instinct. Because of their training, they have learned to tap into nature so to better protect and serve the druids who have trained them.

Class Skills: The warden gains Knowledge (Nature) and Survival as class skills instead of Knowledge (Engineering) and Knowledge (Nobility).

Skill Ranks Per Level: 4 + Int modifier

Armor Proficiency: Wardens are proficient with light and medium armor but are prohibited from wearing metal armor; thus, they may wear only padded, leather, or hide armor. A warden may also wear wooden armor that has been altered by sphere abilities (such as change materials) or spells (such as ironwood) so that it functions as though it were steel. Wardens are proficient with shields (except tower shields) but must use only wooden ones. A warden who wears prohibited armor or uses a prohibited shield must make an arcane spell failure check to use their sphere abilities (although its sphere casting is not usually considered arcane in nature). This alters Weapon and Armor Proficiency.

Nature’s Blade: A warden gains the nature sphere as a bonus sphere at 1st level and treats his class level as his caster level for this sphere. This stacks normally with caster levels gained from
other classes. This replaces Armor Training and Quick Summons.

Deadly Guardian (Ex): At 20th level, all bound weapons of the warden automatically confirm all critical threats and have their damage multiplier increased by 1 (×2 becomes ×3, for example). In addition, he cannot be disarmed while wielding a bound weapon. This replaces Infinite Arsenal

New Arsenal Tricks:

Additional Binding: You may bind an additional piece of equipment. This arsenal trick may be taken multiple times. Each time it increases the number of bound pieces of equipment by one.

Animal Companion: (Requires Armorist level 4) You gain an animal companion as if you were a druid of your character level –3. If you already have an animal companion or else later gain an animal companion through another source (such as the Animal domain, divine bond, hunter's bond, mount, or nature bond class features), the effective druid level granted by this arsenal trick stacks with that granted by other sources.

Armor Training: (Requires Armorist level 3) Your armor check penalty is reduced by 1 (to a minimum of 0) and increases the maximum Dexterity bonus allowed by her armor by 1. This arsenal trick may be taken multiple times, its effects stack with itself and the Armor Training class feature.

Duelist: All bound and summoned melee weapons gain the agile special quality. You may take this arsenal trick two times. Upon picking this arsenal trick a second time you add dueling (+4) added to the list of special qualities you may add to all your bound and summoned weapons.

Der_DWSage
2015-10-03, 06:35 PM
Alright, I think I have everyone updated for what Sphere they're taking at current-if I missed anyone, chime in. I'm also trying to get a Skype group started-if you'd like to be added in, PM me your Skype name or contact UATSorune.

And I'd been working on combined talents like that myself. I actually made a separate Google Doc (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aCOhw3B_ilDCxcVVnh2zAbOX6lx7arwtGyNtpR9PBsc/edit?usp=sharing)for it, though I'm still working on it before I post it up here. (We may want to work that one out, so that we don't accidentally steal each others' glory. With that said, I'm healing ALL the things!)

Amechra
2015-10-03, 07:33 PM
My rough (and quick) initial ideas for Enhancement:

• More Talents. So many new Talents, both Basic and Advanced. Enhancement has some... holes that it really should cover.

• With a special focus on negative Enhancements, armour, shields, and skills.
• Reminder to self: Enhancement doesn't give the target anything new, it just makes them better (or worse) at what they already can do.
• People can't fly, so no amount of Enhancement will let them fly - but people can run, so Enhancement can make them super-fast.
• Archetypes: Whitesmith (Armorist), Herculean Scion (Mageknight), ?*? (Monk), Prince of Beasts (Companion archetype)... stuff like that (not a full list).
• A couple Traditions for the Hedgewitch - the one that springs immediately to mind is Benevolent Patron (think a "good" counterpart to Black Magic).
• A couple "widgets" for the classes that get them - Armorists, Hedgewitches, Mageknights, Shifters... you get the idea.
• More example spells would be neat. Extraneous, but if I have room...

As for mixed effects... the following is a terrible idea, but...

Enhance Sphere (Enhance)
You may enhance a creature, giving them a +1 bonus to caster level for a single Sphere, chosen when the enhancement is applied. At 7th level, you may select two Spheres; at 15th level, you may select three.

Mehangel
2015-10-03, 07:42 PM
As for mixed effects... the following is a terrible idea, but...

Enhance Sphere (Enhance)
You may enhance a creature, giving them a +1 bonus to caster level for a single Sphere, chosen when the enhancement is applied. At 7th level, you may select two Spheres; at 15th level, you may select three.

Well it isn't a terrible idea, but I would recommend changing it to:

Enhance Sphere (Enhance)
You may spend an additional spell point to enhance a creature, giving them a +1 enhancement bonus to caster level for a single sphere. This bonus increases by +1 every 10 caster levels.

Amechra
2015-10-03, 07:51 PM
It's a terrible idea because it's going to need a ton of massaging.

spikeof2010
2015-10-03, 11:13 PM
If anyone's doing what not, my skype's same as my username.

I'm still pondering over what could be added to Creation...

JGray
2015-10-05, 08:01 AM
Hello, everyone. My name is J Gray. I'm fortunate enough to have contributed to Spheres of Power: Expanded Options and I'm signed on to write the alteration/shape shifting book. I'm aiming for the end of the year.

I've got a few 3pp credits under my belt working with Flaming Crab Games and Fat Goblin Games. Working with these companies I've noticed having a common place to communicate is a good idea. My suggestion is a shared Google Docs folder owned by Adam Meyers. The work we are doing for him should be in a place he has full control over. For realtime communication I personally prefer a google hangout over other options but that is just because I have hangouts open anyway to chat in rooms other publishers have set up.

stack
2015-10-05, 01:22 PM
I like the google folder option. I don't really frequent any of the live-chat methods, though you can message people while in a google doc.

Mehangel
2015-10-05, 01:37 PM
I like the google folder option. I don't really frequent any of the live-chat methods, though you can message people while in a google doc.

I dont know if eveyone participating has been contacted, but I for one received an email from Adam Meyers with a link to a folder, where you can put up a google doc with your project.

Amechra
2015-10-05, 01:43 PM
I am in the... unfortunate boat that Skype straight up does not work on my laptop.

So it's a no-go there. Contact through the Google Doc would probably work for me, though.

stack
2015-10-05, 01:49 PM
I dont know if eveyone participating has been contacted, but I for one received an email from Adam Meyers with a link to a folder, where you can put up a google doc with your project.

Just saw the email now. I will cut down my WIP sheet to stuff that is worth other people commenting on and upload it this week.

Palanan
2015-10-05, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Der_DWSage
Alright, I think I have everyone updated for what Sphere they're taking at current-if I missed anyone, chime in.

I'm confirmed for Light, tentative deadline is February.

And I'm in the non-Skype boat, as a couple others seem to be.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-10-05, 09:03 PM
Hey, I'm doing Warp (January 1st deadline). I got down and word vomited some ideas onto a GDocs (https://docs.google.com/document/d/11ZX8iMmojZAMmq5riSebtxjK6YBgmRhcICGZtMQSKmk/edit#). By no means is anything final, but any feedback is appreciated.

Vhaidara
2015-10-06, 07:06 AM
Been sick, and my laptop isn't letting browsers work. Today is a busy day, and Wednesday is looking similar, but I'll be aiming to actually get some things written out and added to the drive on Thursday.

Conjuration, and aiming for the end of March.

Palanan
2015-10-07, 09:41 AM
I won't be able to participate in this project, so Light is available. I've already notified Adam.

stack
2015-10-07, 11:28 AM
Okay, general discussion point, which should include Adam at some point:

Should it be possible to grant low casters full CL in a particular sphere?

It is a concept that has shown up in some of the posted ideas thus far and I thought we should all be on the same page. Right now there are very few effects that do this in the system, mainly symbiotic knight armorists getting to apply alteration traits at full CL to their armor, which is different from getting full CL to the sphere outright. I can't recall any other examples right off, though there might be one or two others.

I am loathe to give full CL to an entire sphere to a low caster since it is a significant departure from the existing archetypes and classes and, in theory, low caster's should be compensated for their CL by class features, stronger chassis, etc, though this may not always work out in practice, especially at higher levels. I am willing to be persuaded otherwise, however.

The alternatives I see are effectively giving them limited access, as the symbiotic knight, via class features that simulate part of a sphere, or allowing focused archetypes to act as mid-casters for their specialist sphere.

Thoughts?

Mehangel
2015-10-07, 12:24 PM
If we use the symbiotic knight as a template for which one might properly grant a low-caster a single sphere high-casting capabilities, what if we ensured that such classes had stipulation or requirements to be met.

For example, in the case with the symbiotic knight archetype for the armorist, the class only grants alteration traits (as a high-caster) while wearing the armor. If we follow in similar suit, perhaps we can create archetypes for low casters that:

o Use Light Sphere as a High caster, but only in areas of natural (non-magical/mundane) bright light.
o Use Dark Sphere as a High caster, but only in areas of natural (non-magical/mundane) darkness
o Use Nature Sphere as a High caster in environments that match your geomancing (i.e. Earth = Mountain, Plains; Fire = Desert; Plantlife = Forest, Jungle;Water = Cold, Swamp, Water; etc)

These are just a couple of possible examples..

stack
2015-10-07, 12:29 PM
For an armorist in the dark, I might think maybe they can choose a certain number of meld talents over the levels and use them with their shadowform/armor/whatever the archetype grants. Then maybe a light armorist could have higher CL for glows that only target him, an undead-themed mageknight get a higher control cap OR a DC boost, not both, etc.

For the record, I don't have any full CL low casters planned for destruction. Looking for a way to properly scale an energy-blade themed mageknight that isn't too tempting for others to dip, but I don't plan on adding full CL to anything since that is the elementalist's design space.

Vhaidara
2015-10-07, 02:21 PM
I fully plan to take that route if it fits. Being a non-high caster actually hurts a lot more in spheres than in vancian. In vancian, you still got full scaling, just slower access. Here, the opposite is mostly true: You have garbage scaling (destruction is worthless to a mageknight), and while access is technically equal (everyone has the same amount to go through), high casters generally get fast access via more talents.

Mehangel
2015-10-08, 01:31 PM
For as many people signed up for this project, I am surprised that only three spheres (Death, Nature and Warp) have documents uploaded to the shared folder provided by Adam Meyers.

stack
2015-10-08, 01:43 PM
For as many people signed up for this project, I am surprised that only three spheres (Death, Nature and Warp) have documents uploaded to the shared folder provided by Adam Meyers.

I'm trying to fill mine out more before posting it. I prefer formatting and working in word over google docs and when you cut and paste between them you can lose comments and get weird formatting issues. I have about a quarter of my word count and solid ideas to get me up to half with just the notes I've jotted down, I think. Suppose I could post it anyway.

Amechra
2015-10-08, 01:47 PM

And I've got one more mid-term to go before I can knuckle down and write.

AmberVael
2015-10-08, 01:48 PM
I'm in about the same place as stack. I've a fair amount done already, but I haven't put it into a format I'd call presentable yet- there's plenty done, its just interspersed with random not so serious filler bits like:

What is in this book

Magic beyond your wildest dreams! Unimaginable power! INFINITE FREE NACHOS.

Vhaidara
2015-10-08, 02:02 PM
Yeah, I haven't had a lot of free time to actually sit down and type much out. That will probably come this weekend.

stack
2015-10-08, 02:28 PM
My start is posted. Comment away!

MesiDoomstalker
2015-10-08, 03:16 PM
I was thinking of including a section about designing encounters with a Warp Sphere caster, since free at-will teleportation changes a lot of basic assumptions of the game especially at low level. Think its a good idea?

Mehangel
2015-10-08, 03:35 PM
I was thinking of including a section about designing encounters with a Warp Sphere caster, since free at-will teleportation changes a lot of basic assumptions of the game especially at low level. Think its a good idea?

Yes, infact I don't expect all handbooks to equally include the same content; I think that having information that would help dm's design encounters with such in the party would be great addition that many will appreciate.

Vhaidara
2015-10-08, 03:59 PM
I know I plan at least a small section on making classic monster companions.

stack
2015-10-08, 08:04 PM
Yeah, I should have a section on stacking different blast shapes and layering BFC, as well as properly using spellcrafting/the admixture talent.

Mehangel
2015-10-09, 01:54 PM
Okay, general discussion point, which should include Adam at some point:

Should it be possible to grant low casters full CL in a particular sphere?
It is a concept that has shown up in some of the posted ideas thus far and I thought we should all be on the same page. Right now there are very few effects that do this in the system, mainly symbiotic knight armorists getting to apply alteration traits at full CL to their armor, which is different from getting full CL to the sphere outright. I can't recall any other examples right off, though there might be one or two others.

The alternatives I see are effectively giving them limited access, as the symbiotic knight, via class features that simulate part of a sphere, or allowing focused archetypes to act as mid-casters for their specialist sphere.

Thoughts?

What are your thoughts on allowing focused archetypes of low-casters use their specialty spheres as high-casters by spending an additional spell point.

stack
2015-10-10, 09:04 AM
I'm on the fence between thinking its a fair limitation and an obnoxious resource drain. At lower levels it chokes your endurance, but you have a stronger chassis to fall back on, at later levels you still can't go nuts, at least not consistently. Stat arrangement will mean you still have slightly lower DCs. Hard to use concentration powers effectively when you want to full attack as well, barring a magus dip. Curious to hear what others say.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-10-10, 09:22 AM
I have an alternative. I have this idea for 'binding' Spell Points to items of Class Features for passive benefits. Spell Points that are bound are not expended, but cannot be used for other Talents or Class Features. You can unbound Spell Points, losing the passive benefit and freeing the Spell Points for normal use as a Free Action on your turn. How's that sound?

stack
2015-10-10, 09:37 AM
I have an alternative. I have this idea for 'binding' Spell Points to items of Class Features for passive benefits. Spell Points that are bound are not expended, but cannot be used for other Talents or Class Features. You can unbound Spell Points, losing the passive benefit and freeing the Spell Points for normal use as a Free Action on your turn. How's that sound?

Interesting, but without an action cost the only reason not to have points invested is if you think you will need them for immediate actions. That's a pretty low cost, so the benefits would have to correspond. I like the general idea though.

Completely unrelated - the default setting on the shared folder appears to be 'anyone with a link can edit', so I urge caution when viewing other sheets and reccomend keeping periodic back-ups just in case. No one wants to lose work due to an accidental unnoticed edit.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-10-10, 10:18 AM
Interesting, but without an action cost the only reason not to have points invested is if you think you will need them for immediate actions. That's a pretty low cost, so the benefits would have to correspond. I like the general idea though.

Completely unrelated - the default setting on the shared folder appears to be 'anyone with a link can edit', so I urge caution when viewing other sheets and reccomend keeping periodic back-ups just in case. No one wants to lose work due to an accidental unnoticed edit.

Well the cost is opportunity. At the start of the day, there's little reason not to Bind the maximum SP for the maximum effect. Later in the day, you'll have to weigh unbinding some of the AP to produce more effects or keeping your SP bound. Ideally, the passive benefit is proportional to number of Bound. Full effect will be a large tax on your available daily SP. For a Low Caster getting High Caster on a sphere, 1 SP could equal +2 CL, up to your ECL. Level 3 takes 1 SP for full, 5 is 2, going up like that till 5 SP at level 20. Or it could be 1:1 and seriously tax your reserve (but lets you be more precise in how much you bind).

The system does need refinement, I will say that.

Mehangel
2015-10-10, 10:38 AM
Well the cost is opportunity. At the start of the day, there's little reason not to Bind the maximum SP for the maximum effect. Later in the day, you'll have to weigh unbinding some of the AP to produce more effects or keeping your SP bound. Ideally, the passive benefit is proportional to number of Bound. Full effect will be a large tax on your available daily SP. For a Low Caster getting High Caster on a sphere, 1 SP could equal +2 CL, up to your ECL. Level 3 takes 1 SP for full, 5 is 2, going up like that till 5 SP at level 20. Or it could be 1:1 and seriously tax your reserve (but lets you be more precise in how much you bind).

The system does need refinement, I will say that.

This sounds like it would work great as a feat, so to allow other low/mid casters the opportunity to gain it.

stack
2015-10-13, 11:29 AM
Armorist seems popular for archetypes thus far.

Mehangel
2015-10-13, 05:41 PM
Armorist seems popular for archetypes thus far.

Well, why wouldn't it be? It's like Spheres of Power variant of DSP's Soulknife.

stack
2015-10-16, 11:17 AM
I just posted a number of feats requires other spheres to apply differing effects to destructive blast. Nature and weather are used (imbue with air/earth/fire/water feats) to summon natural elements to bypass spell resistance, while ghostly admixture and telekinetic admixture basically let you spellcraft their ghost strike/hostile lift into your destructive blasts on the fly (paying the extra SP cost, of course). These were ideas I just had, so would like to hear people's thoughts on them.

Thanks.

Amechra
2015-10-16, 01:02 PM
I've finally started with the Enhancement Handbook; everything there is very rough, and I'm willing to take suggestions.

Mehangel
2015-10-16, 02:02 PM
@Amechra you should probably remove the link so that only those who supported the project via patreon dont feel shirked.

Amechra
2015-10-16, 02:10 PM
What link? :smallwink:

Mehangel
2015-11-11, 10:17 PM
With the Nature handbook finished and up on Paizo Store (http://paizo.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Store.woa/wa/browse?path=%2Fproducts%2Fbtpy9hyv%2Freviews#tabs) and DrivethruRPG (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/165487/The-Geomancers-Handbook), I have picked up the Divination Sphere.

A.J.Gibson
2016-01-14, 08:05 PM
Is the war sphere still unclaimed? And if not, how much experience does a person need to apply?

ImperatorV
2016-01-14, 08:18 PM
Is the war sphere still unclaimed? And if not, how much experience does a person need to apply?

Seconding these questions.

A.J.Gibson
2016-01-14, 11:45 PM
Well, I wouldn't mind taking a crack at the War sphere.

Hell, I've already started.

Amechra
2016-01-25, 05:55 PM
I have just replaced the 0.0.1 version of the Enhancement Handbook with version 0.9.0.

I'm having internet problems at the moment, so I won't be on hand to answer comments on it until I fix those.