PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Archaeologist (Pathfinder Base Class)

OzzyKP
2015-09-29, 06:43 PM
I've seen plenty of people post interest in creating an Indiana Jones type character, and various classes and bits of classes get to part of the character, but don't quite get it all. So I took a stab at it. It is powerful, I know, but making a good non-magic (and non-maneuver) class was my point. Comments are welcome!

Archaeologist

“Professor of Archaeology, expert on the occult, and how does one say it… obtainer of rare antiquities.”

A studious professor of ancient history, religion and archaeology by day, obtainer of rare antiquities by night. Scouring libraries and dungeons for a clue that will lead him to the artifact he seeks, the archaeologist is a scholar and an adventurer. The objects he seeks are often guarded by secrets, traps and hostile parties trying to find the same items. Through guile and smarts the archaeologist must survive any challenges that comes his way. His breadth of knowledge saves him from plenty of scrapes. His careful study and encyclopedic knowledge of creatures big and small give him a great advantage in knowing the weaknesses of any foe he faces. But sometimes knowledge isn't enough and it is time to take out the whip and pistol.

The archaeologist is exactly who you want to have at your side when facing a complex dungeon. He can identify any challenge you face and with his superior smarts, figure out a solution. Plus he is pretty good with a pistol and a whip. Just be warned, he isn't seeking priceless artifacts for personal gain, he intends to give them away to a museum.

Hit Dice: d8

Abilities: Dexterity and Intelligence are the two most important abilities for an Archaeologist.

Races: Any.

Alignment: Any.

Starting Gold: 5d6 x 10 gp (average 175gp) In addition, each character begins play with an outfit worth 10 gp or less.

LevelBABFortRefWillSpecial
1st+1+0+2+2Grit, Deeds, Whip Mastery
2nd+2+0+3+3Polyglot +1, Clever Explorer, Encyclopedic Knowledge, Danger Sense +1
3rd+3+1+3+3Improved Whip Mastery, Deeds, Pistol Training +1
4th+4+1+4+4Polyglot +2, Quick Draw, Lore Master 1/day
5th+5+1+4+4Greater Whip Mastery, It Belongs in a Museum!, Obtainer of Rare Antiquities
6th+6/+1+2+5+5Polyglot +3, Favorite Professor, Clever Explorer, Danger Sense +2
7th+7/+2+2+5+5Deeds, , Whip Controller, Pistol Training +2
8th+8/+3+2+6+6Polyglot +4, Reasoned Defense, Lore Master 2/day
9th+9/+4+3+6+6Favored Enemy, Obtainer of Rare Antiquities
10th+10/+5+3+7+7Polyglot +5, Danger Sense +3
11th+11/+6/+1+3+7+7Deeds, Pistol Training +3
12th+12/+7/+2+4+8+8Polyglot +6, Lore Master 3/day
13th+13/+8/+3+4+8+8 Favored Enemy, Obtainer of Rare Antiquities
14th+14/+9/+4+4+9+9Polyglot +7, Danger Sense +4
15th+15/+10/+5+5+9+9Deeds, Pistol Training +4
16th+16/+11/+6/+1+5+10+10Polyglot +8, Lore Master 4/day
17th+17/+12/+7/+2+5+10+10Favored Enemy, Obtainer of Rare Antiquities
18th+18/+13/+8/+3+6+11+11Polyglot +9, Danger Sense +5
19th+19/+14/+9/+4+6+11+11Deeds, Pistol Training +5
20th+20/+15/+10/+5+6+12+12Polyglot +10, Lore Master 5/day

Class Skills (6 + Int modifier per level)
Acrobatics (Dex), Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Dex), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (all) (Int), Linguistics (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Stealth (Dex), Survival (Wis) and Swim (Str).

Class Features

All of the following are class features of the archaeologist.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Archaeologist are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, whips, and with all firearms. They are proficient with all light armor.

Grit (Ex): Seeking out the world's historical treasures does not come without risks. An archaeologist must be prepared for any danger that confronts him, and must face such danger with grit and determination. In game terms, grit is a fluctuating measure of a archaeologist’s ability to perform amazing actions in combat. At the start of each day, a archaeologist gains a number of grit points equal to her Intelligence modifier (minimum 1). A archaeologist spends grit to accomplish deeds (see below), and unlike the gunfighter, does not regain grit throughout the day.

Deeds(Ex): An archaeologist can spend grit points on deeds. Deeds function exactly as a Gunslinger of his level.

Whip Mastery(Ex): The archaeologist gains the Whip Mastery (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/whip-mastery-combat)bonus feat.

Encyclopedic Knowledge (Ex): If an archaeologist successfully identifies a foe, he taps into his stores of encyclopedic knowledge as a swift action, searching for some obscure fact that might confer a distinct advantage. He chooses one of the bonuses on the following list. Any bonuses given only last until the end of the encounter, and only apply to the specific creature in question and any others of its exact kind (i.e., if the archaeologist identifies a goblin, he gains the bonuses against all goblins in the encounter, but if a hobgoblin is present, he does not receive the bonus against it). He may not gain multiple kinds of bonuses against one particular foe. If he identifies multiple kinds of foes at once, he may activate a bonus for each one successfully identified as a single swift action. Bonuses from this ability cannot exceed half the archaeologist's class level.

Find the Gap: An archaeologist gains a +1 insight bonus on all attack rolls against the creature and any others of its kind. For every five points by which the archaeologist's check result exceeds the base DC, the bonus increases by +1.

Twist the Knife: An archaeologist deals an additional 1d4 damage against the creature and any others of its kind. This is considered precision damage, and is halved against creatures immune to critical hits. For every five points by which the archaeologist's check result exceeds the base DC, he deals an additional 1d4 damage.

Stay the Hand: An archaeologist gains a +1 insight bonus to armor class and all saves against any attacks or abilities made by the creature and any others of its kind. For every five points by which the archaeologist's check result exceeds the base DC, the bonus increases by one.

The archaeologist also adds his class level (minimum 1) to all Knowledge skill checks and may make all Knowledge skill checks untrained.

Polyglot (Ex): The archaeologist is comfortable communicating with obscure languages. At 2nd level, and every other level thereafter, the archaeologist learns a free language and gets a bonus +1 in linguistics.

Clever Explorer (Ex): At 2nd level, an archaeologist gains a bonus equal to half his class level on Disable Device and Perception checks. He can disable intricate and complex devices in half the normal amount of time (minimum 1 round) and open a lock as a standard action. At 6th level, an archaeologist can take 10 on Disable Device checks, even if distracted or endangered, and can disarm magical traps.

Danger Sense(Ex): At 2nd level, an archaeologist gains a +1 competence bonus on Reflex saves to avoid traps and a +1 dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps. In addition, he gains a +1 bonus on Perception checks to avoid being surprised by a foe. These bonuses increase by 1 every 4 archaeologist levels thereafter (to a maximum of +5 at 18th level). This ability counts as trap sense for the purpose of any feat or class prerequisite, and can be replaced by any archetype class feature that replaces trap sense. The bonuses gained from this ability stack with those gained from trap sense (from another class).

Improved Whip Mastery(Ex): The archaeologist gains the Improved Whip Mastery (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/improved-whip-mastery-combat) bonus feat at 3rd level. Also, as an immediate action, the archaeologist can use his whip as a grappling hook to prevent himself or an ally from falling.

Pistol Training(Ex): Starting at 3rd level, an archaeologist increases his skill with one-handed firearms. He gains a bonus on damage rolls equal to his Dexterity modifier, and when he misfires with a one-handed firearm, the misfire value increases by 2 instead of 4. Every four levels thereafter (7th, 11th, 15th and 19th), the bonus on damage rolls increases by +1.

Quick Draw(Ex): The archaeologist gains the Quick Draw (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/quick-draw-combat---final) bonus feat at 4th level.

Lore Master (Ex): At 4th level, the archaeologist becomes a master of lore and can take 10 on any Knowledge skill check that he has ranks in. An archaeologist can choose not to take 10 and can instead roll normally. In addition, once per day, the archaeologist can take 20 on any Knowledge skill check as a standard action. He can use this ability one additional time per day for every four levels he possesses beyond 5th, to a maximum of five times per day at 20th level.

It Belongs in a Museum! (Ex): The archaeologist believes the world's antiquities belong to the public at large and obtains bonuses whenever he gives away a magical item to a public institution for display. The magic item or artifact cannot be sold, it must be donated. Potions, wands, scrolls, rods and staves cannot be traded in this manner. Items must be found and not crafted or purchased. All bonuses are luck bonuses and do not stack. The archaeologist can only trade in one magical item per price category per character level (for example, a 5th level archaeologist can turn in a Belt of Tumbling (800 gp) for 1 skill point, but if he had a Meridian belt (1,000 gp) he'd have to wait till he attained level 6 to trade it in). The bonuses scale by the retail price of the traded magical item according to the following chart:

ItemBonus
1 - 1,000The archaeologist increases his grit point pool by 1 OR gains 1 skill point. These are bonus skill points, not ranks in a skill.
1,001 - 3,000 The archaeologist gains a trait OR +1 to one saving throw.
3,001 - 6,000 The archaeologist gains +1 AC OR 5 bonus skill points he can distribute however he likes. These are bonus skill points, not ranks in a skill.
6,001 - 10,000 +1 to all attack and damage rolls OR +1 to one ability score.
10,001 - 30,000 +2 to AC OR +1 to all saving throws.
30,001 - 60,000 A bonus feat, the archaeologist must meet all prerequisites, OR an extra gunslinger deed of any level the archaeologist has obtained taken from a gunslinger archetype.
60,001 - 100,000 +2 to any ability score OR +3 to all attack and damage rolls.
100,001+ +4 to any ability score OR two bonus feats, the archaeologist must meet all prerequisites.

Greater Whip Mastery(Ex): The archaeologist gains the Greater Whip Mastery (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/greater-whip-mastery-combat) bonus feat at 5th level.

Obtainer of Rare Antiquities(Ex): An archaeologist is an expert in rare items. Relying on intuition and years of study, he can determine the properties of magical items and artifacts. He can use this ability a number of times per day equal to his Intelligence modifier (minimum 1). At 5th level, the archaeologist can identify (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/i/identify)magical items, as the spell. At 9th level, the archaeologist gains the abilities of the analyze dweomer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/analyze-dweomer) spell to identify magical items. At 13th level, he gains the use of the legend lore (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/l/legend-lore) spell to identify magical items or artifacts. At 17th level, he gains a permanent +15 Insight bonus to all Spellcraft and Knowledge checks to identify magical items or artifacts.

Favorite Professor (Ex): At 6th level an archaeologist may share any creature-identification bonus he receives from his Encyclopedic Knowledge ability with all allies within 30 feet who can hear the archaeologist.

Whip Controller(Ex): When using a whip to perform a combat maneuver such as disarm, trip or grapple, the archaeologist can use his Intelligence modifier in place of his Strength to determine CMB.

Reasoned Defense(Ex): Through superior study of his opponents, archaeologists understand where enemies will strike next and prove extra hard to hit. An archaeologist of 8th level adds his Intelligence bonus (if any) to his AC and his CMD. This bonus to AC applies even against touch attacks or when the archaeologist is flat-footed. He loses these bonuses when he is immobilized or helpless, when he wears any armor, when he carries a shield, or when he carries a medium or heavy load.

Favored Enemy(Ex): At 9th level, an archaeologist selects an organization, nation or group (i.e. a specific thief's guild, a necromatic cult, Nazis). He gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive, and Survival checks against creatures of his selected type. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon attack and damage rolls against them.

At 13th & 17th level the archaeologist may select an additional favored enemy. In addition, at each such interval, the bonus against any one favored enemy (including the one just selected, if so desired) increases by +2.

Vhaidara
2015-09-29, 07:00 PM
Looks really cool. It is gunslinger+, on SO many levels (hell, you even get dex to damage earlier).

Needs a hit die.

What do you mean by "These are bonus skill points, not ranks in a skill"? The only use for skill point in PF is to put ranks into skills (3.5 had skill tricks, but PF never got those).

I actually object to how It Belongs in a Museum works. Since each category is per level, it encourages NOT leveling until you've hit all your categories.

The bonuses from IBiaM need typing. Otherwise, you can grab +1 to an ability score every level once you can afford 6k gp items.

The artifact options are far too strong. Artifacts are a mixed bag of a thing, sometimes campaigns will have a lot of them (I've heard the Giantslayer Adventure Path has like 30 or something ridiculous, starting as early as level 3)

Whip Controller feels REALLY late in the class.

OzzyKP
2015-09-29, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I added the hit die.

I agree that whip controller is kind of late, but I was doing whip abilities every three levels. I just tacked that at the end of the whip mastery feats.

As for It Belongs in a Museum, this is what I was hoping for the most help in balancing. I think it is a pretty neat feature that is in fitting with the character and brings in something unique. There certainly are opportunities to stack lots of bonuses, but in most all cases the magic items you'd be giving up give bigger bonuses than this ability would. Having them be untyped and stackable was kind of compensation for getting rid of items.

As for the skill points, I wanted to clarify that these weren't skill points like the ones you get when you level up, they were bonus skill points like you'd get from the Alertness feat, etc. I agree the language is kind of awkward, do you have a better way of phrasing it? (or do you disagree with doing it this way?)

OzzyKP
2015-09-29, 07:10 PM
Do you have recommendations for replacement bonuses for the artifacts?

Vhaidara
2015-09-29, 07:13 PM
The trouble is stacking all of those bonuses onto ONE score. Doing that with Dex, then grabbing Rapid Shot and Deadly Aim will give you INSANE amounts of damage with guns. Gunslinger already does arguably too much damage. This does more, and has other utility besides, as well as a better chassis.

Like, I actually feel this could give an equally leveled gestalt bard//gunslinger a run for its money. And that's not a good balance point.

OzzyKP
2015-09-29, 07:19 PM
How often do people come across high price magic items anyhow? And you're not going to give them all up. I mean if you come across a +4 Belt of Physical Perfection are you going to trade in a +4 in STR, DEX & CON for a +2 in one ability score? You'll probably only give that up if you came across a +6 Belt of Physical Perfection.

If a character is able to trade in an item in each category each level then I think the DM is running a weird campaign. Especially if you level up in the middle of a dungeon and can't get back to a city to trade in an item. Or if you're in a lengthy campaign out in the field that doesn't even get to a city that has a place to give up your magic items for display.

And I feel good about this class being balanced against a gestalt bard/gunslinger. :) The real question is how does it compare to a Cleric or Wizard or other Tier 1 class?

Zhentarim
2015-10-31, 11:45 PM
I like this.

OzzyKP
2016-02-03, 01:33 PM
I made some changes to tone down the class a bit. Here is the changelog:

- Removed all bonus feats
- Removed ability to regain grit during day
- Changed Twist the Knife bonus, from Encyclopedic Knowledge to 1d4 instead of 1d6 extra damage
- Changed Encyclopedia Knowledge cap to half class level and moved it to level 2 (instead of level 1)
- Moved Whip Mastery to level 1 (instead of level 2)
--- Moved Improved Whip Mastery to level 3 (instead of level 5)
--- Moved Greater Whip Master to level 5 (instead of level 8)
--- Moved Whip Controller to level 7 (instead of level 11)
- Polyglot now gives a bonus language and +1 in lingustics at every other level, starting at 2nd (instead of extra languages per linguistic point)
- Clever explorer bonus now half of class level (instead of full class level)
- Reasoned defense bonus is now lost if the archeologist wears any armor, and is moved to 8th level (instead of 6th)
- Removed artifact bonuses for It Belongs in a Museum!
--- Specified that magic item must be found, not crafted or purchased
--- All bonuses for It Belongs in a Museum! are now luck bonuses, not untyped
--- It Belongs in a Museum moved to level 5 (instead of level 3)
- Favorite professor moved to level 6 (instead of level 4)
- Switched to a d8 instead of a d10

What do y'all think?

Zhentarim
2016-02-03, 01:44 PM
I made some changes to tone down the class a bit. Here is the changelog:

- Removed all bonus feats
- Removed ability to regain grit during day
- Changed Twist the Knife bonus, from Encyclopedic Knowledge to 1d4 instead of 1d6 extra damage
- Changed Encyclopedia Knowledge cap to half class level and moved it to level 2 (instead of level 1)
- Moved Whip Mastery to level 1 (instead of level 2)
--- Moved Improved Whip Mastery to level 3 (instead of level 5)
--- Moved Greater Whip Master to level 5 (instead of level 8)
--- Moved Whip Controller to level 7 (instead of level 11)
- Polyglot now gives a bonus language and +1 in lingustics at every other level, starting at 2nd (instead of extra languages per linguistic point)
- Clever explorer bonus now half of class level (instead of full class level)
- Reasoned defense bonus is now lost if the archeologist wears any armor, and is moved to 8th level (instead of 6th)
- Removed artifact bonuses for It Belongs in a Museum!
--- Specified that magic item must be found, not crafted or purchased
--- All bonuses for It Belongs in a Museum! are now luck bonuses, not untyped
--- It Belongs in a Museum moved to level 5 (instead of level 3)
- Favorite professor moved to level 6 (instead of level 4)
- Switched to a d8 instead of a d10

What do y'all think?

I approve.

TheYell
2016-02-03, 10:45 PM
Don't forget immunity to fall damage.

Debihuman
2016-02-05, 08:23 AM
Immunity to falling damage is too much over the top.

Also, if you are using identify, analyze dweomer, and legend lore as the spells, the ability should be magical in nature. The fact it is Ex isn't a problem but you don't have to repeat that it is non-magical as that is what the EX means. The minimum number of times this can be used can be 0. Perhaps you should add (minimum 1) after the Intelligence modifier. Bonus should be an Insight bonus. See Obtainer of Rare Antiquities.

Obtainer of Rare Antiquities (Ex): An archaeologist is an expert in rare items. Relying on intuition and years of study, he can determine the properties of magical items and artifacts. He can use this ability a number of times per day equal to his Intelligence modifier (minimum 1). At 5th level, the archaeologist can identify magical items, as the spell. At 9th level, the archaeologist gains the abilities of the analyze dweomer spell to identify magical items. At 13th level, he gains the use of the legend lore spell to identify magical items or artifacts. At 17th level, he gains a permanent +15 Insight bonus to all Spellcraft and Knowledge checks to identify magical items or artifacts.

Whip Mastery should be clear the feat is a bonus feat. Ditto for Quick Draw and Improved Whip Mastery.

Danger Sense probably should be a +1 Competence bonus to Reflex saves.

Favorite Professor has no range to earshot. I recommend changing this to all allies within 30 feet who can hear him.

Debby

OzzyKP
2016-02-05, 09:47 AM
Great suggestions! I made all the changes!

As for fall damage, I had put in the ability to use his whip as a grappling hook as an immediate action while falling. That should be sufficient I think. :)

TheYell
2016-02-05, 11:19 AM
Ill have to try to get this past my GMs :p

sengmeng
2016-02-09, 05:32 PM
(Vaguely waves hand at signature)

I like it, it did a lot of things my 3.5 Archaeologist does, although usually in different ways.

Mine also has a counterspelling ability, in deference to the scene in Temple of Doom where Indy starts chanting and causes the Ankara(?) stone to burn Mola Ram. IDK, it just seems like that's the nearest thing to what he did there. Oh, and his unarmed strike damage increases, but does not cause lethal damage. That's the only things I really did that don't have thematic equivalents in your version, and it looks pretty strong without them. I like it, but I can't comment further because my PF knowledge is weak.

OzzyKP
2016-02-10, 09:20 AM
Ah, neat! I didn't see that at all, but you're right, there is a lot of similar ideas. Great minds think alike. :)

Indiana Jones is a neat character, there is so much to mine for a character class like this. I didn't even think about the counter-spell thing, that is an excellent idea. Thanks for posting. :)