PDA

View Full Version : From the creator of The Stanley Parable...

Insane Trystane
2015-09-29, 07:31 PM
...comes a new game! It's called The Beginner's Guide, and I know next to nothing about it except that it's coming out THIS THURSDAY, October 1st!!! You can find no more info here: www.thebeginnersgui.de

Needless to say, I am unbelievably stoked and will be buying it as soon as I am able.

And for those of you who aren't familiar with The Stanley Parable, DON'T LOOK IT UP. Just buy it and play it. Or at least play the free demo, which is also brilliant. It is waaaaay too easy to spoil. Buy it and play it. Make a Let's Play video of you doing so, actually, because I love watching people's reactions. Either way, just DO IT!! </shia>

tl;dr The Beginner's Guide looks super awesome and I needed to tell someone about it.

enderlord99
2015-09-30, 09:22 PM
The Stanley Parable is extremely boring, and as far as I can tell they made it so on purpose. I'm not going to buy a game if all I know about it is that it's by the author of another really bad game.

OrcusMcP
2015-09-30, 09:28 PM
Post-modernism isn't for everybody, but I'm inclined to give the Stanley Parable blokes a chance. They know how to do it well. :smallwink:

enderlord99
2015-09-30, 10:00 PM
Post-modernism isn't for everybody, but I'm inclined to give the Stanley Parable blokes a chance. They know how to do it well. :smallwink:

I'm fine with some forms of the post-modern art genre, but not all of them. Specifically, I like surrealism ("It doesn't make sense; you're supposed to find it funny") rather than dadaism ("It doesn't make sense; you're supposed to feel a negative emotion, like anger or boredom.") Stanley Parable tries both, but is only really successful with the dadaist portion.

Except the broom closet. That part's pretty good (and I won't spoil why.)

Mando Knight
2015-09-30, 10:24 PM
I think the best part about the Stanley Parable is the Dota 2 announcer. "Hello, you are now playing DIGITAL SPORTS."

Aotrs Commander
2015-10-01, 10:33 AM
In the Stanley Parable's favour, from one of the trailers, Vegata's Renegade For Life playthrough and one brief video someone showed me of I think it was Totalbiscuit's playthrough, I am very nearly tempted to go it myself, despite it being not at all the sort of thing I would normally have touched with a bargepole.

Solely because the narrator is so expertly done.

Cristo Meyers
2015-10-01, 01:09 PM
Solely because the narrator is so expertly done.

He's probably about the only part of the game I'd say that about. Everything else was kinda bland, really. The same 'hey, you're playing a game, isn't that weird?' jokes that I've seen done to death already. Yes, I get it, the fact that this is a video game is informing my decision-making. No, I don't see what's so hilarious about that.

I don't regret the money I spent on it one bit, mind, but after playing through it I had a hard time seeing what all the fuss was about.

CarpeGuitarrem
2015-10-01, 02:33 PM
Except the broom closet. That part's pretty good (and I won't spoil why.)
The broom closet ending was my favorite!

This sounds promising. Worth a look, at least.

Insane Trystane
2015-10-01, 03:25 PM
Hoooooly crap.

That... that was a ride.

I recommend playing it, if only because having it spoiled for you would suck so much. It's not much like The Stanley Parable, except that there's narration. But the story it tells is a lot more personal than Stanley's was. And I don't know how much of it's true.

Anyway. It's available now, so there's that.

NeoVid
2015-10-01, 06:56 PM
Is there a demo for it? The Stanley Parable Demo was the only demo that's ever sold me on a game while still leaving me with no idea what kind of game it was.

Wookieetank
2015-10-02, 08:35 AM
I think the best part about the Stanley Parable is the Dota 2 announcer. "Hello, you are now playing DIGITAL SPORTS."

Haven't found that bit yet. Did find Portal and Minecraft though and was quite amused about that.

The Broom Closet Ending truly is the best ending.:smallbiggrin:

Cyber Punk
2015-10-02, 10:19 AM
The game isn't for everyone, and the people who enjoy it aren't stupid. I hated Gone Home and couldn't see the appeal, but people seem to enjoy it for their own reasons. It was a good way to pass the time, though. The narrator was well done, too.

I will definitely be playing this game.