PDA

View Full Version : Best Friends Forever!

Dhavaer
2007-05-18, 09:25 PM
Unlike sorcerers, hexblades share a unique bond. Though two hexblades who meet in a tavern or apothecary won't necessarily strike up a lasting friendship, it is rare for two hexblades to oppose one another unless great personal gain is on the line.

So, if two hexblades do meet in a tavern or apothecary, do they each know that the other is a hexblade? Do they have some kind of 'hexdar'?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-18, 09:35 PM
It's a missing ability. Detect hexblade at will. Gained at 1st level.

Seriously, though. They find out what they do through conversation or seeing one or another curse someone else or any other mundane mean. Then they just have that standing respect for other practitioners of their art that tells them, "Hey, this is a brother in arms!"

I suppose a setting where hexblades are rare and those who can pass on the knowledge of hexblade abilities might allow a semi-unified quasi-society where there are a few key "passwords" that can be slipped in and out of normal conversation, allowing one to recognize fellow hexblades.

the_tick_rules
2007-05-18, 10:24 PM
why would they get along more than fellow members of any other class?

Dhavaer
2007-05-18, 10:32 PM
why would they get along more than fellow members of any other class?

The same reason paladins tend to be more good than any other class. It's what they do.

Human Paragon 3
2007-05-18, 10:36 PM
Maybe they should detect other hexblades at will... that'd be kind of cool, like in Highlander.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-18, 10:37 PM
Maybe they should detect other hexblades at will... that'd be kind of cool, like in Highlander.

NO. Nothing should be like Highlander, except Highlander. Because There Can Only Be One.

ocato
2007-05-18, 10:39 PM
Reminds me of this half-elf Bard NPC we bumped into once. I was like "Hey, mind helping us find our way through this forest/serve as a packmule for most of our crap?" *UBER DIPLOMACY EYEBROW WIGGLE*

And then she was like "Actually, your party's barbarian is already carrying me on a palanquin on his back while the paladin fans me with palm fronds" *COUNTER DIPLOMACY SUGGESTIVE GLANCE*

"Ah, a formidable enemy"
*Insert 20 minutes of staring and some dramatic music*

Then the party carried us both through the forest while we ate grapes and played our harps in the sun. Best. NPC. Evar.

And that was mostly done as part of a running joke.

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-05-18, 10:42 PM
Reminds me of this half-elf Bard NPC we bumped into once. I was like "Hey, mind helping us find our way through this forest/serve as a packmule for most of our crap?" *UBER DIPLOMACY EYEBROW WIGGLE*

And then she was like "Actually, your party's barbarian is already carrying me on a palanquin on his back while the paladin fans me with palm fronds" *COUNTER DIPLOMACY SUGGESTIVE GLANCE*

"Ah, a formidable enemy"

Then the party carried us both through the forest while we ate grapes and played our harps in the sun. Best. NPC. Evar.

To think that some people hate bards. With situations like this, I don't see how it's possible.

Starsinger
2007-05-18, 10:59 PM
So, if two hexblades do meet in a tavern or apothecary, do they each know that the other is a hexblade? Do they have some kind of 'hexdar'?

I honestly think Hexdar would be neat, like a Jedi knowing when someone nearby uses the force. "My hexdar just beeped!".

AngelSword
2007-05-18, 11:35 PM
Actually, becoming a Hexblade is kinda like becoming a member of the Elks Club. Everyone's photo is on file, and they send out a monthly mailer. They maintain clubs throughout the world that are no more than glorified taverns.

The bard story makes me happy. Bards are great. :smallcool:

Fax Celestis
2007-05-18, 11:36 PM
Of course, the problem with Hexdar would be that drow would start calling it "spidey senses."

And that's infringement.

Logic
2007-05-18, 11:37 PM
NO. Nothing should be like Highlander, except Highlander. Because There Can Only Be One.

QFT.

Back on topic:
In all seriousness, perhaps you should houserule some kind of aura, that a Hexblade will always detect?

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-05-19, 01:09 AM
Unlike sorcerers, hexblades share a unique bond. Though two hexblades who meet in a tavern or apothecary won't necessarily strike up a lasting friendship, it is rare for two hexblades to oppose one another unless great personal gain is on the line.

The emphasized text is why one of my DMs can never, ever, be allowed to read this passage.

Dhavaer
2007-05-19, 04:13 AM
The emphasized text is why one of my DMs can never, ever, be allowed to read this passage.

Could you clarify? The only thing jumping out at me from your emphasis is 'one night stand', but I'm fairly sure that's not the case.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-19, 05:11 AM

Secret Handshake obviously.

ocato
2007-05-19, 05:15 AM
Terribly awkward when the Hexblade realizes the other person is actually his most hated enemy... a pentablade.

Dun dun dunnnnnnnnbadjoke.

Starsinger
2007-05-19, 06:03 AM
Y'know, depending on the Hexblade they could get very catty. It's been known to happen with other similar abilities to Hexdar...

Green Bean
2007-05-19, 06:43 AM
Could you clarify? The only thing jumping out at me from your emphasis is 'one night stand', but I'm fairly sure that's not the case.

Brokeback Hexblade. :smallwink:

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-05-19, 01:31 PM
Brokeback Hexblade. :smallwink:

More or less. Except in the hands of this DM... well, this is a PG13 forum, IIRC.

OzymandiasVolt
2007-05-19, 01:57 PM
Perverted DMs are even more annoying than perverted players because they control the entire game world. :smallannoyed:

Dhavaer
2007-05-19, 08:39 PM
Perverted DMs are even more annoying than perverted players because they control the entire game world. :smallannoyed:

And thus did the time-travelling lesbian vampire ninjas take over the world...

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-05-19, 08:52 PM
And thus did the time-travelling lesbian vampire ninjas take over the world...

Until the army of dimension-hopping dominatrix dryad pirates rose up against them...

Rama_Lei
2007-05-19, 08:58 PM
Until the army of dimension-hopping dominatrix dryad pirates rose up against them...

Opposed by the scantily clad super-powered Swedish Drow zombie bounty hunters.

Dhavaer
2007-05-19, 09:01 PM
Opposed by the scantily clad super-powered Swedish Drow zombie bounty hunters.

NO (http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e100/Dhavaer/1167484592364.jpg) qwertyui

Devils_Advocate
2007-05-20, 07:24 AM
NO. Nothing should be like Highlander, except Highlander.
Yeah, we wouldn't want D&D to turn into a game full of superhuman beings who are virtually untouchable by ordinary mortals, but can of course still kill each other, and even become more powerful by doing so.

:smalltongue:

Because There Can Only Be One.
Actually, I'm pretty sure it's "there can be only one", not "there can only be one." I hate to nitpick, but your way just doesn't quite have the right ring to it.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-05-20, 09:43 AM
Who knew that hexblades' greatest power is friendship?

martyboy74
2007-05-20, 10:32 AM

They have other powers?

Dhavaer
2007-05-20, 04:54 PM

On noes! Hexblades are Harry Potter!

No, wait. That's love. My bad.

The Great Skenardo
2007-05-20, 05:07 PM
Well, by flavor, Hexblades are supposed to be surrounded by bad luck; things just happen around them, like milk going bad, flowers wilting, mirrors falling to the floor, that kind of thing. Maybe it's an aura thing?

martyboy74
2007-05-20, 07:21 PM
So does that mean that having bad luck gets you respected by hexblades?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-20, 09:44 PM
On noes! Hexblades are Harry Potter!

No, wait. That's love. My bad.
Yeah. Friendship is from Diadem.

JackMage666
2007-05-20, 10:21 PM
When Hexblades want to prove who's better, they just go and try to find dates. Whoever has the worst luck with the ladies wins. Of course, those who have the best luck win too, but that's another story.

The_Snark
2007-05-21, 12:50 AM
So does that mean that having bad luck gets you respected by hexblades?

Nah, hexblades don't have bad luck. Other people have bad luck around hexblades.

PlatinumJester
2007-05-21, 07:26 AM
Nah, hexblades don't have bad luck. Other people have bad luck around hexblades.

Except for fortunes friends

ocato
2007-05-21, 09:33 AM
That's actually how I met my hexblade girlfriend, with one foot in a potted plant, a giant ink stain on my shirt, and a handful of lottery tickets.

Also my pants were on fire.

EagleWiz
2007-05-21, 11:42 AM
Got to hear that story

Fax Celestis
2007-05-21, 11:44 AM
That's actually how I met my hexblade girlfriend, with one foot in a potted plant, a giant ink stain on my shirt, and a handful of lottery tickets.

Also my pants were on fire.

...just your pants?

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-05-21, 11:45 AM
Got to hear that story

He's a bard, so be warned that if he tells it, any misfortune on his part will bring you to uncontrollable sobbing. And it sounds like there's a LOT of misfortune in that story. :smallwink:

ocato
2007-05-21, 07:19 PM
That's not true. It is just proof that I can make a Diplomacy check even with horrible negatives.

You see, my pants were on fire because of a friction spark that ignited some lantern oil that spilled onto my lap after I bumped the lantern stepping in the potted plant on my way back from the lottery store. I quickly asked someone for the phone number of a dry cleaner, but when they lent me a pen it exploded onto my shirt. I shreiked in surprise and they paniced and began to hit me with a burlap sack, causing the friction that sparked my pants. So, having enough HP to not worry about 1d6 damage a round, I sauntered into the tavern for a drink, walked up to the bar, and having spotted a cute girl, proceded to say

Hey baby, wanna see my wand of cure what ails ya?

1d20+40

ocato
2007-05-21, 07:20 PM
Guess you can't roll on this forum, huh.

Dhavaer
2007-05-21, 07:24 PM
Guess you can't roll on this forum, huh.

Diplomacy: 1d20+40

Edit: Apparently not. How odd.

Khantalas
2007-05-22, 01:16 AM
Psst! Dice-rolling has been removed for a short while!

...I think.

Jannex
2007-05-22, 01:25 AM

"Ah, a formidable enemy"

I have the sudden urge to PC a bard in a party with you. Of course, the last time I was part of Team Bard, my fellow PC and I invented the Kogo Beast, which was some of the most hilarious roleplaying I've ever experienced.

Go Team Bard! :smallwink:

Dhavaer
2007-05-22, 01:37 AM
I have the sudden urge to PC a bard in a party with you. Of course, the last time I was part of Team Bard, my fellow PC and I invented the Kogo Beast, which was some of the most hilarious roleplaying I've ever experienced.

Go Team Bard! :smallwink:

That gives me an idea. Team Charisma! Hexblade as the frontline warrior, Spellthief as the skillmonkey, Bard as the healer and Sorcerer as the boomstick.

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-05-22, 01:52 AM
That gives me an idea. Team Charisma! Hexblade as the frontline warrior, Spellthief as the skillmonkey, Bard as the healer and Sorcerer as the boomstick.

Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.

Jannex
2007-05-22, 01:57 AM

That is brilliant. I want in. If we go gestalt, I've been sitting on a Bard//Paladin of Bahamut concept for a while now. Divine Grace FTW!

I do love the idea of a party where everybody gets a turn as the party face. :smallbiggrin:

Dhavaer
2007-05-22, 01:58 AM
Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.

Sigtastic.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-05-22, 02:54 AM
...just your pants?

A Hexblade has the mighty power of arcane curses...
...in his pants.

ocato
2007-05-22, 04:56 AM
Hey, a cloak of Charisma +4!

*Watches as the party suddenly goes from a polite, attractive group of young men and women to a snarling pit of avarice and contempt*

martyboy74
2007-05-22, 07:14 AM
Hey, a cloak of Charisma +4!

*Watches as the party suddenly goes from a polite, attractive group of young men and women to a snarling pit of avarice and contempt*

As oppossed to normal parties, where it turns into a game of 'hot potato'?

ocato
2007-05-22, 11:34 AM
Druid: "It seems to be a charisma cloak"
*party groans*
Barbarian: "Mebbe th'paladin kin yoos et?"
Bard: "My aunt fanny he can, unhand my lucre you cretin!"