PDA

View Full Version : Preliminary Exercises

Avigor
2015-09-30, 05:26 AM
Dai Stiho Cousins!

Am I the only one who read the 5th edition Warlock and started getting visions of Errantry?

The Eldritch Invocations are pure gold for matching character concepts, from speaking to animals to reading all languages to mastering rituals. Trading them out even fits with the way Wizards change over time.

The Patrons also work: the Great Old One for telepathy and an excuse to shamelessly cross the lore (I'm crazy!), Archfey for a more mystical approach (maybe to represent an Irish tradition Wizard?), even the Fiend could be argued for more aggressive characters (Ronan or Roshaun, anyone?).

Finally, the Pacts. Nita would obviously be Tome, Dairine would be Chain (what else would you call Spot if not a familiar?), and I'd argue Ronan for Blade (I dare you to call him something else while he's wielding that freaking spear). Unsure if Kit would be Chain (Ponch) or Book...

The only thing I'd really want to change is to throw in some fluff that when I cast Eldritch Blast, I pull a swirly glowy "spell" out of thin air which wraps around my hand and arm almost Samus Aran style, stowing it back in my "temporospatial claudication" when the fight is over... Oh, I guess it would help to fully open the spell list, given how some Wizards can do heals in their universe, but I can live without that.

Anyone else wanna greet the next BBEG with "Fairest and Fallen, Greetings and Defiance" now?

For those who don't get it, I'm referencing the Young Wizards book series by Diane Diane. I was so inspired I finally broke down and bought an e-set of the New Millennium Edition...

Madfellow
2015-09-30, 08:21 AM
Glad you're enjoying the warlock. It's not one of my favorite, personally, but it is certainly an interesting creature. I may even play one someday if someone other than me ever DMs 5e for our group.

Here's an interesting one: using a Fey Pact Chain warlock to represent another well-known fantastical character; Alice, of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Think about it. :smallamused:

Avigor
2015-09-30, 02:27 PM
Interesting... That could definitely be fun