PDA

View Full Version : Factotum (no, not Bukowski as a PC)

MisterSaturnine
2007-05-18, 10:03 PM
I've been looking at Factotums as a result of the Master of Masks discussion (and I swear to Godot, I didn't see that other thread with an identical title when I posted mine...:smallyuk: anyway, I got good info from the other thread), but after quite a bit of searching dandwiki, wizards, and the internet at large, haven't found really satisfactory information.

How does the Factotum really work mechanically? How do inspiration points work, how many do you get by, say, level 5, how does the Factotum cast spells (both divine and arcane, etc).

As you might've noticed by the multitude of questions, my search has left me only more ferklempt than I was before.

And I'm currently unable to get any worthwhile information. Even if I did have money to buy the book, I just checked the Borders I live near, and Dungeonscape wasn't there (While looking at reviews on the internet, though, I heard good things. Way to go, Rich). Though the cookies were worth it. Mmm. Borders Cookies.

Tellah
2007-05-19, 10:30 AM
Buy the book. Board rules disallow posting of non-OGL material.

MisterSaturnine
2007-05-19, 12:18 PM
Oh, ignorance. How irritating you are. I should really get my hands on some intelligence boosting thing in real life. That...that would be very nice. Or perhaps it's wisdom I'm lacking. Both, in fact, are likely.

I'll get on that, then. Birthday comes soon, and I'm sure my parents will be mildly pleased to hear that I want something this year. Less work for them this way. :smallwink:

Ramza00
2007-05-19, 12:32 PM
We can discuss non OGL material. We can't describe it in enough detail you can recreate it.

You get inspiration points in every encounter. (Similar to how ToB maneuvers refresh after every encounter). These inspiration points fuel your abilities. Such abilities are adding your int modifer to ac, getting an extra standard action for this round, bypass sr and dr for 1 round. These inspiration points refresh every encounter.

The number of inspiration points you get per encounter is not an easy formula, it is a straight amount though (nothing like bonus spells for an ability modifer). Like about 10 at lvl 20. (though that number is off)

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=791436

You also get other class abilities, 6+int skill points (with all skills thus makes a great able learner dip), and the ability to replicate up to 7th lvl spells from the wizard/sorc list (they are spell like abilities but have material components, and you can't choose a spell with a xp component, you have a very limited amount per day, and you can't choose the same spell multiple times)

MisterSaturnine
2007-05-19, 12:43 PM
Thanks a lot. That definitely gives me a good idea of how the class functions, at least. Here. Have a cookie. They are delicious.

henebry
2007-05-19, 06:26 PM
Ok, I know you said "not Bukowski" but, let me tell you, after reading your thread title, that's ALL I can think about. I'm totally ready for a Bukowski-inspired d20 modern campaign. Wonder if there's anything along those lines down in the pbp section....

MisterSaturnine
2007-05-19, 07:52 PM
You raise a wonderful point. He would make a fun adventurer, wouldn't he? Plenty of skill points in alcoholism. :smallwink:

My father knew him vaguely well (he himself is a poet/poetry teacher, and looked up to him a good amount), and when he first went to his house to meet him, knowing his penchant for drinking, brought his own thing to drink. Unfortunately, he's never used very good judgment, and so thought it wise to bring tequila. Bukowski had more experience drinking, and was only drinking red wine while my dad had the bright idea of trying to match him glass for glass while drinking. He excused himself after a bit, and passed out around the garden hose outside. Bukowski comes outside, and my father comes to, and explains he was "looking at the garden hose" (the following quotes, by the way, are roughly paraphrased). So Bukowski smiles and goes, "I've looked at that hose many a time myself."

Yay for anecdotes.

But yes, imagine, going across the lands and laying waste to enemies with poetry and cynicism. So he'd kind of be some weird Bitter Bard. Oooh, I smell a PrC.