PDA

View Full Version : [5e Race] Ooze Genasi

Turtlemancer
2015-09-30, 08:28 AM
So I am running a D&D campain in a modern setting using the free supplements I could dig up online. Me and one of the players where looking at Genasi to give them some lore for our world and suddenly I came upon this poor abomination. http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Ooze_genasi . Being the sinister minister I am, I just must have one for my campaign but can find nothing, I MEAN NOTHING on it. So Decided to make one of my vary own I call him George!

Mud "Ooze" Genasi

Ability Modifiers: +2Con, +1Dex.

Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common
and Primordial. Primordial is a guttural language, filled
with harsh syllables and hard consonants.

Acid Resistance: You have resistance to acid damage.

Body O Slime: You have advantage when attempting to escape a grapple and saving throws versus being restrained. You are considered small sized creature for purposes of squeezing and you take no penalty to movement, dexterity saves, or attack rolls when you squeeze. Additionally creatures also don't gain advantage on attack rolls against you for squeezing.

Tis Mud Good Sire: At First level you gain the Mold Earth Cantrip, at 3rd level you gain the ability to cast the Earthbind Spell at 2nd level once per day. and you regain the ability to cast it this way when you finish a long rest. Constitution is your spellcasting ability for this spell.

This is based on a normal Genasi, so he should be balanced enough to pick up and play. All Genasi stats are already accounted for.
For RP info consult this. http://www.ekkaia.org/rpg/dnd/ps/ooze.html

On a more serious note how does this look? Questions, Comments, Concerns?

TopCheese
2015-09-30, 10:38 AM
So I am running a D&D campain in a modern setting using the free supplements I could dig up online. Me and one of the players where looking at Genasi to give them some lore for our world and suddenly I came upon this poor abomination. http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Ooze_genasi . Being the sinister minister I am, I just must have one for my campaign but can find nothing, I MEAN NOTHING on it. So Decided to make one of my vary own I call him George!

Ooze Genasi
Ability Modifiers: +2Con, +1Dex.

Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common
and Primordial. Primordial is a guttural language, filled
with harsh syllables and hard consonants.

Acid Resistance: You have resistance to acid damage.

Body O Slime: You may pass through terrain that would normally be small for you without incurring a movement penalty, You may also swim at full movement speed, may not use this to pass through closed doors.

Slimy: At First level you gain the Acid Splash Cantrip, at 3rd level you gain the ability to cast the Grease Spell at 2nd level once per day. and you regain the ability to cast it this way when you finish a long rest. Constitution is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

This is based on a normal Genasi, so he should be balanced enough to pick up and play. All Genasi stats are already accounted for.
For RP info consult this. http://www.ekkaia.org/rpg/dnd/ps/ooze.html

On a more serious note how does this look? Questions, Comments, Concerns?

My only concern would be how this race came to be... ಠ_ಠ no thank you.

Other than that it looks fine. I would change Body O Slime to be something like this.

<Body O Slime: You are considered small sized creature for purposes of squeezing and you take no penalty to movement, dexterity saves, or attack rolls when you squeeze. Additionally creatures also don't gain advantage on attack rolls against you for squeezing.>

I would remove the swim speed, water + ooze (typically ACID) doesn't work all that wrll together as water is used to neutralize acid.

Turtlemancer
2015-09-30, 11:42 AM
Yeah you framed that a lot better, That was basically my intention. I only added the swim speed as I found in earlier (We are talking AD&D here) editions the Ooze Genasi had a swim speed bonus as they are supposed to the combination of an Earth and Water Genasi "Basicaly". More like Mud then Ooze. But I think you do have a point especial the way I made them... So either I drop the Acid Spray... and find something more appropriate or I drop the Swim... I think if I wanna keep this closer to earlier editions and keep it lore friendly for Forgotten Realms if anyone wants to use it there Swim Stays Spay Goes.

TopCheese
2015-09-30, 11:54 AM
Yeah you framed that a lot better, That was basically my intention. I only added the swim speed as I found in earlier (We are talking AD&D here) editions the Ooze Genasi had a swim speed bonus as they are supposed to the combination of an Earth and Water Genasi "Basicaly". More like Mud then Ooze. But I think you do have a point especial the way I made them... So either I drop the Acid Spray... and find something more appropriate or I drop the Swim... I think if I wanna keep this closer to earlier editions and keep it lore friendly for Forgotten Realms if anyone wants to use it there Swim Stays Spay Goes.

You can leave the swim speed, it isn't a huge bonus without the ability to breathe underwater and even then I've found that unless everyone has it, it won't be that useful (cause others are all like, nope, you go in alone).

Turtlemancer
2015-09-30, 12:02 PM
I just found the spell they used to get but its Level Fraking 5! Transmute Stone. Would this be fine to give them if it where there only spell and it could only be used once a day. Its a bit scary though and I find it doubtful to be a legit choice.

Nifft
2015-09-30, 12:06 PM
Squeezing doesn't come up in any game I've played.

Grappling, however, does seem to come up.

Maybe give them some advantage on escaping from a grapple?

My only concern would be how this race came to be... ಠ_ಠ no thank you.

The Joker fell into a vat of acid, and an evil Ooze Genasi crawled out.

Turtlemancer
2015-09-30, 12:09 PM
Edited hows that?

TopCheese
2015-09-30, 12:42 PM
Squeezing doesn't come up in any game I've played.

Grappling, however, does seem to come up.

Maybe give them some advantage on escaping from a grapple?

The Joker fell into a vat of acid, and an evil Ooze Genasi crawled out.

I use squeezing a lot...

But grapple escape is better a lot less niche but not super overdone.

Perhaps advantage on grapple and saving throws versus restained condition?