PDA

View Full Version : Race/Subclass Homebrew Requests/Challenge Me

TopCheese
2015-09-30, 11:45 AM
So I'm feeling uninspired but I want to homebrew. I could also use a challenge.

What classes or races from previous editions would you like to see in 5e?

I would make the class as a sublass at random (ill roll for it) or if you want to a specific class subclass you can tell me which one.

:)

(very very very slow day at work and my boss peaced out to go bowling)

Barbarian Primal Path (Fiendish Frenzy)(PEACH) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?446878-Unholy-Frenzy-(Barbarian-Primal-Path)(WIP))

Swordmage (Hexblade and Duskblade subclasses)(PEACH) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?447634-Swordmage-(Duskblade-and-Hexblade)-(WIP)&p=19906315#post19906315)

Bardic College of the Maestro (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?448537-Bardic-College-(College-of-the-Maestro)(WIP))

Alchemist (WIP Base Class, Bare Bones) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?449172-The-Alchemist-(WIP)&p=19930241#post19930241)

Races/Subraces (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?447424-Races-(Gnolls-Bangaas-and-Killoren-Oh-my!)(WIP))
Newest Update: Half-Giant

Spacehamster
2015-09-30, 11:59 AM

I would make the class as a sublass at random (ill roll for it) or if you want to a specific class subclass you can tell me which one.

(very very very slow day at work and my boss peaced out to go bowling)

Gnoll race and a barbarian subclass that uses more of an unholy frenzy compared to the traditional rage. :)

Nishant
2015-09-30, 12:00 PM
Races; Gnoll, Half-Giant, Githyanki

Classes; Psionic Warrior or Warblade/ martial adept; Could have three paths like warlock, going crusader, swordsage, or warblade. However, this may be redundant through means of the battlemaster path in fighter.

Weretouched master and moonspeaker would be crazy awesome as well, though those are racial prestige classes. I suppose they could be made put together into some form of racial subclass, similar to Circle of the Moon's wild shape progression. Alternatively, it could be a barbarian subclass with a wildshape-like mechanic, using totem as a base? I don't really know.

EDIT; chopped stuff down. I was asking for a lot, and I wasn't really giving anything to go on.

TopCheese
2015-09-30, 12:02 PM
Gnoll race and a barbarian subclass that uses more of an unholy frenzy compared to the traditional rage. :)

Sweet.

Getting to it :)

Spacehamster
2015-09-30, 12:15 PM
Sweet.

Getting to it :)

Idea for the unholy rage is that it could be more offensive and maybe even slightly self destructive. :)

TopCheese
2015-09-30, 12:31 PM
Idea for the unholy rage is that it could be more offensive and maybe even slightly self destructive. :)

The self destructive part will mostly be role play and not party friendly abilities.

I'll be making a homebrew post for this but...

Unholy Frenzy (Level 3)
You have made a deal with a devil or demon or whomever, that part doesn't matter. What does matter is that you have gained power to destroy your enemies. At the end of a long rest you make a small sacrifice (typically a broken holy symbol of a deity or a small animal) and your contact gives you your additional power. Of you are unable to sacrifice the contact will still send power your way but a sacrifice at a later date will need to be bigger. The contact will give you your choice of element for your unholy frenzy features. If you don't make a sacrifice the contact will give you whichever one it feels like.

When you rage, as a bonus action after hitting with a weapon attack, you deal additional damage equal to (Con Modifier + 1/2 Proficiency). This additional damage is either Acid, Cold, Fire, or Lightning as determined by your contact and is magic for the purpose of overcoming resistances.

Name (Level 6)
You may cast Detect Evil and Good 1/short rest.

Name (Level 6)
While raging, as a reaction to being hit with a weapon, failing a saving throw, or failing an ability check, you may allow your rage to burst forth unholy energy. This energy is the same type as your Unholy Frenzy feature. Each creature within 5' takes a number of points of damage equal to your rage bonus damage.

====.)

Still working on the rest hoep this works though :).

I would like to throw more fluff into it.

Spacehamster
2015-09-30, 12:40 PM
The self destructive part will mostly be role play and not party friendly abilities.

I'll be making a homebrew post for this but...

Unholy Frenzy (Level 3)
You have made a deal with a devil or demon or whomever, that part doesn't matter. What does matter is that you have gained power to destroy your enemies. At the end of a long rest you make a small sacrifice (typically a broken holy symbol of a deity or a small animal) and your contact gives you your additional power. Of you are unable to sacrifice the contact will still send power your way but a sacrifice at a later date will need to be bigger. The contact will give you your choice of element for your unholy frenzy features. If you don't make a sacrifice the contact will give you whichever one it feels like.

When you rage, as a bonus action after hitting with a weapon attack, you deal additional damage equal to (Con Modifier + 1/2 Proficiency). This additional damage is either Acid, Cold, Fire, or Lightning as determined by your contact and is magic for the purpose of overcoming resistances.

Name (Level 6)
You may cast Detect Evil and Good 1/short rest.

Name (Level 6)
While raging, as a reaction to being hit with a weapon, failing a saving throw, or failing an ability check, you may allow your rage to burst forth unholy energy. This energy is the same type as your Unholy Frenzy feature. Each creature within 5' takes a number of points of damage equal to your rage bonus damage.

====.)

Still working on the rest hoep this works though :).

I would like to throw more fluff into it.

Cool, been thinking of making this subclass but never got to it, I would myself probably make the whole thing about risk for greater reward type both mechanically and fluff. When raging you can choose to loose 20% of your health and for the remaining time of the unholy frenzy you deal double your STR modifier as necrotic/fire/cold or acid damage.

The detect evil/good thing could also in addition give your pc slight demonic features(bestial eyes, hint of horns and so on).

TopCheese
2015-09-30, 12:45 PM
Cool, been thinking of making this subclass but never got to it, I would myself probably make the whole thing about risk for greater reward type both mechanically and fluff. When raging you can choose to loose 20% of your health and for the remaining time of the unholy frenzy you deal double your STR modifier as necrotic/fire/cold or acid damage.

The detect evil/good thing could also in addition give your pc slight demonic features(bestial eyes, hint of horns and so on).

The problem with mechanical risk/reward like that is that it gets away from the simplcity ideology of 5e.

I could add in a way to expend hit dice though. That should be a simple way to do risk versus reward.

This could allow me to up some Damage or have higher level effects. Hmm..

Spacehamster
2015-09-30, 12:49 PM
The problem with mechanical risk/reward like that is that it gets away from the simplcity ideology of 5e.

I could add in a way to expend hit dice though. That should be a simple way to do risk versus reward.

This could allow me to up some Damage or have higher level effects. Hmm..

True, like the idea of sacrificing some of your own health for greater reward tho, should be a choice that is not always right, painful but not crippling. And ofc the reward should make you powerful but not op, idea to excuse more power in addition to the hp loss could be to make it consume two rage uses.

TopCheese
2015-09-30, 01:09 PM
True, like the idea of sacrificing some of your own health for greater reward tho, should be a choice that is not always right, painful but not crippling. And ofc the reward should make you powerful but not op, idea to excuse more power in addition to the hp loss could be to make it consume two rage uses.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?446878-Unholy-Frenzy-(Barbarian-Primal-Path)(WIP)&p=19892287#post19892287

Edit: I'll do the Gnoll later when I have access to more Gnoll stuff (like my 3e/4e books). :)

Edit

Races; Gnoll, Half-Giant, Githyanki

Classes; Psionic Warrior or Warblade/ martial adept; Could have three paths like warlock, going crusader, swordsage, or warblade. However, this may be redundant through means of the battlemaster path in fighter.

Weretouched master and moonspeaker would be crazy awesome as well, though those are racial prestige classes. I suppose they could be made put together into some form of racial subclass, similar to Circle of the Moon's wild shape progression. Alternatively, it could be a barbarian subclass with a wildshape-like mechanic, using totem as a base? I don't really know.

EDIT; chopped stuff down. I was asking for a lot, and I wasn't really giving anything to go on.

I'll have to do Gnoll, it is one of the few races I know little about haha. I must have missed out.
Random note, Killoren has been one of my favorite races, they should just replace elves already.

Edit 2

Would Weretouch Master make sense as a Barbarian who, when raging, wildshapes into a specific form (lycanthropy form)?

Or perhaps a ranger with wildshape?

It was made as a racial prestige class so I don't want to go to far away from its core (in reading about it online).

Edit 3 here's what I got so far for Gnolls... I'll finish up later.

Gnoll
Ability Score Increase: +2 Strength
Size: Medium
Speed: 30
Senses: Darkvision

Weapon Familiarity: Due to their scavenger ways Gnolls are proficient with one of the following weapon groups: simple, martial, or improvised weapons.

Sweet Scent: Gnolls can survive on carrion and actually prefer it to a freshly killed creatures. Gnolls can pinpoint carrion and creatures below 1/4 HP within 45'. The Gnoll knows The difference between the two and can determine is magic is helping a creature reign death (con save versus spellcaster DC). Note: The Gnoll would still take disadvantage on attacks versus a invisible target but wouldn't need to guess their location.

Talk With Canine: Gnolls have advantage on wisdom and charisma ability checks versus canine and may use "Speak With Animals" (but only with canines) once per long rest.

Languages: Common and Gnoll

Subraces: Grassy Gnolls, Desert Gnolls, and Outcast.

Grassy Gnolls
Ability Score Increase: +1 Dex

Quick Hunter: A grassy Gnolls base speed is 35'.

Skill Training: Grassy Gnolls are proficient with Dextery (Stealth) checks.

Desert
Ability Score Increase: +1 Con

Gritty Life: The Desert Gnoll treats all hit dice as one size larger (if d12 then just add 1 to hit points each level).

Skill Training: Desert Gnolls are proficient with Wisdom (Survival) checks.

Outcast
Ability Score Increase: +1 Cha

Forced to Flee: The Outcast Gnoll may use the disengage action as a bonus action once per short rest.

Skill Training: Outcast Gnolls are proficient with Charisma (Persuasion) checks.

Nishant
2015-09-30, 09:54 PM
Edit 2

Would Weretouch Master make sense as a Barbarian who, when raging, wildshapes into a specific form (lycanthropy form)?

Or perhaps a ranger with wildshape?

It was made as a racial prestige class so I don't want to go to far away from its core (in reading about it online).

Either would work really. Basically, a shifter picked a heritage(similar to a totem) of bear, boar, rat, tiger, wolf, or wolverine. each gave different traits, and at the end of the 5 level progression, you could take the hybrid or animal form of said heritage. It also gave you free shifter feats, but that would be hard to work with in 5e.

A great 3.5 handbook for Shifters was posted on these forums, and gives an overview of the prestige classes big points. I'll leave a link here; http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?225294-3-5-The-Shifter-Handbook-(WIP)

EDIT: Also, yeah, I like killoren too.

Mara
2015-10-02, 12:02 AM
Give me an elan psion with a focus on astral constructs and fabricating mundane items with ectoplasm like Dreamscarred press psionics for Pathfinder.

Mara
2015-10-02, 12:06 AM
Oh. I could also use a 3.5 factotum.

Malifice
2015-10-02, 01:13 AM
Grassy Gnolls

You have advantage on all checks made when assasinating JFK, and benefit from a nondetection spell and a +10 on stealth checks to hide for 24 hours after doing so.

djreynolds
2015-10-02, 01:18 AM
You have advantage on all checks made when assasinating JFK, and benefit from a nondetection spell and a +10 on stealth checks to hide for 24 hours after doing so.

Grassy Gnolls, too funny. Excellent work.

djreynolds
2015-10-02, 01:19 AM
Bouncing projectiles, guided magic bullets from your sling like magic missiles

Arc-Royal
2015-10-02, 03:34 AM
I'd like to see the Ivalice races from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance/FFTA2 (not sure if Ivalice was the setting for the original Final Fantasy Tactics, as I never had a PlayStation) ported to 5e.

TopCheese
2015-10-02, 03:57 PM
Either would work really. Basically, a shifter picked a heritage(similar to a totem) of bear, boar, rat, tiger, wolf, or wolverine. each gave different traits, and at the end of the 5 level progression, you could take the hybrid or animal form of said heritage. It also gave you free shifter feats, but that would be hard to work with in 5e.

A great 3.5 handbook for Shifters was posted on these forums, and gives an overview of the prestige classes big points. I'll leave a link here; http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?225294-3-5-The-Shifter-Handbook-(WIP)

EDIT: Also, yeah, I like killoren too.

Sounds really close the totem barbarian, I'll probably just expand on the totem barbarian and make additional options, when taken they will alter your actual form a bit. Probabaly take inspiration from shifter feats.

Give me an elan psion with a focus on astral constructs and fabricating mundane items with ectoplasm like Dreamscarred press psionics for Pathfinder.

This is pretty much already a thing with arcane magic. Just change the fluff and you can have this character via wizard.

Oh. I could also use a 3.5 factotum.

I feel Rogue archetype based off the battle master or bard could do this.

Bouncing projectiles, guided magic bullets from your sling like magic missiles

I was tempted to make a racial feature like this but didn't want them to be archery focused so much. Like, really really tempted.

I settled for making the Desert Gnoll's racial feature be called "Gritty Life".

I'd like to see the Ivalice races from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance/FFTA2 (not sure if Ivalice was the setting for the original Final Fantasy Tactics, as I never had a PlayStation) ported to 5e.

Same place just different eras.

Bangaa is the only race that is distinct enough from the core races that will be worth doing.

Vera = Wood elf
Hume = Human
Moogle = Gnome

Bangaa are distinct since they use their sense of smell and don't always use their eyes.

**** (not a curse word, was using this to break up post haha)

I need to organize some stuff but thanks for the ideas :)

YCombinator
2015-10-02, 04:29 PM
I would love to see the 3.5 Psion, particularly the psychic, home brewed for 5e. I have been playing the Mystic from Unearthed Arcana and have been trying to home brew some additions so that I have more options to chose from and also can level up to higher levels than level 5. I've expanded the chart to level 20 here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DnDHomebrew/comments/3lxryp/extending_the_mystic_past_level_5/

Do you want to homebrew some additional class features and disciplines to get the feel of the 3.5 Psychic Psion back into 5e?

TopCheese
2015-10-02, 05:04 PM
I would love to see the 3.5 Psion, particularly the psychic, home brewed for 5e. I have been playing the Mystic from Unearthed Arcana and have been trying to home brew some additions so that I have more options to chose from and also can level up to higher levels than level 5. I've expanded the chart to level 20 here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DnDHomebrew/comments/3lxryp/extending_the_mystic_past_level_5/

Do you want to homebrew some additional class features and disciplines to get the feel of the 3.5 Psychic Psion back into 5e?

The Psion is tricky, it is so diverse and broad that I don't think it should be its own class.

Much like the wizard I think it should broken down into specific classes (think 3e Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, and War Mage).

If I was to do psionics I would make them subclasses of existing classes or make my own base class for each couple dicipline.

I hate how specific some classes are and how broad others can be. Even if you pick evocation you can still be a great conjurer, necromancer, or whatever else.

Pyon
2015-10-02, 06:09 PM
So this might be a bit of an oddball but here's a challenge! Make a "maestro" bard subclass. Bonus points if you maestro floating magical instruments.

Darkzekkai
2015-10-02, 06:21 PM
Races: dream dwarf, stone child, minotaur, warforged

Classes: artificer, duskblade, eldritch disciple

Belac93
2015-10-02, 06:23 PM
A 5e factotum would be cool.

TopCheese
2015-10-02, 06:56 PM
So this might be a bit of an oddball but here's a challenge! Make a "maestro" bard subclass. Bonus points if you maestro floating magical instruments.

Sounds fun, and going on the list :)

Probably will work this like the 4e shaman familiar (the mechanics not the fluff) where they can determine LoS/LoE from their conjuration. Might use the HP system too.

Races: dream dwarf, stone child, minotaur, warforged

Classes: artificer, duskblade, eldritch disciple

Artificer, Warforged, and Minotaur are already (mostly) made. Check out the UA articles.

I think I'll go with duskblade and make it a monk, sorcerer, or Rogue subclass. There is so many ways to do this.

Or make it an archetype for a Swordmage class (subclasses Duskblade).

A 5e factotum would be cool.

It would be, I've never played one so I might not be the best to make it but I'll look into it (another person above asked for it too) and see what I can do.

Nishant
2015-10-03, 12:03 AM
Sounds really close the totem barbarian, I'll probably just expand on the totem barbarian and make additional options, when taken they will alter your actual form a bit. Probabaly take inspiration from shifter feats.

Yeah, that could work. As a side note, Although it shifts a bit of the flavor, killoren aspects would fit nicely into subraces, wouldn't they?

TopCheese
2015-10-03, 05:27 AM
Yeah, that could work. As a side note, Although it shifts a bit of the flavor, killoren aspects would fit nicely into subraces, wouldn't they?

I think that shifts it too much.

I would just make the main race and the give then a feature and possibly ability score boost based on an aspect choice. The ability score boost would disseapear unless you chose the same aspect again.

Would make them very unique. Just off the top of my head...

Ancient
+1 Int
You have expertise whenever you make intelligence checks to recall information or lore. This doesn't stack with other forms of expertise.

Destroyer
+1 Str
Your attacks ignore resistances to non-magical weapons.

Hunter
+1 Wis
Once per short or long rest you may use an action or bonus action to sense nearby enemies. When you use this ability as an action you learn the number of creatures within a mile of you of a certain type. If you use this feature as a bonus action the range is limited to 30'. This feature doesn't tell where they are at, just that they are present

BladeWing81
2015-10-05, 08:59 AM

Make the Elemental Monk Not suck:smallfrown:, and maybe add lightning to the mix :smallbiggrin:

SharkForce
2015-10-05, 09:23 AM
aegis. dread. vitalist.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/aegis

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/dread

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/vitalist

though i'm not sure there's enough room in 5e subclasses to make these characters, unfortunately :(

(well, maybe for vitalist... each subclass getting a completely different set of disciplines might help if you do keep it based on the mystic preview).

TopCheese
2015-10-05, 12:25 PM
Make the Elemental Monk Not suck:smallfrown:, and maybe add lightning to the mix :smallbiggrin:

This was already done, well at least making the Elemental Monk awesome. There was a crowdsourcing effort here... I'll look for it and edit this post if I find it.

Edit: Here is the crowdsource thread

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?412907-Crowdsourced-Fix-of-Way-of-the-Four-Elements-Monk-Subclass

aegis. dread. vitalist.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/aegis

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/dread

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/vitalist

though i'm not sure there's enough room in 5e subclasses to make these characters, unfortunately :(

(well, maybe for vitalist... each subclass getting a completely different set of disciplines might help if you do keep it based on the mystic preview).

I'm looking into make a Psionic main class and then having some subclasses, I'll keep these classes in mind.

I absolutely love psionics and my biggest fear is screwing them up too much haha. I think 4e, mechanically at least, is the best way of doing it (which the one they put out kinda works that way...).

BladeWing81
2015-10-05, 02:17 PM
This was already done, well at least making the Elemental Monk awesome. There was a crowdsourcing effort here... I'll look for it and edit this post if I find it.

Edit: Here is the crowdsource thread

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?412907-Crowdsourced-Fix-of-Way-of-the-Four-Elements-Monk-Subclass

These two are awesome!!.... now make them official for the adventure league.
(laughing histerically then sobbing in the fethal position):'-(

TopCheese
2015-10-05, 02:20 PM
These two are awesome!!.... now make them official for the adventure league.
(laughing histerically then sobbing in the fethal position):'-(

I'll start a kickstarter to help me buy D&D haha.

SSGoW
2015-10-06, 12:55 PM
I like the swordmage, totally reminds me of the Temple Knight dude from Final Fantasy Tactics. Would love to try the Hexblade archetype.

I played in a 3e one shot recently as a shadowcaster, so you think you could pull together a wizard subclass? Also my friend played the blood mage prestige class, think you could make that into a subclass? Complete with the teleporting/exploding out of someone ability?

Thanks in advance!

Nishant
2015-10-06, 01:51 PM
I realize now that half giant is likely now without purpose between Goliath and Half-Orc, as would a Half-ogre. Ah well. Looking forward to what you put in

SSGoW
2015-10-06, 02:21 PM
I realize now that half giant is likely now without purpose between Goliath and Half-Orc, as would a Half-ogre. Ah well. Looking forward to what you put in

I'm guessing they would be the psionic version of those races.

Spacehamster
2015-10-06, 03:13 PM
Avariel elf and hobgoblin. :)

TopCheese
2015-10-06, 03:24 PM
I like the swordmage, totally reminds me of the Temple Knight dude from Final Fantasy Tactics. Would love to try the Hexblade archetype.

I played in a 3e one shot recently as a shadowcaster, so you think you could pull together a wizard subclass? Also my friend played the blood mage prestige class, think you could make that into a subclass? Complete with the teleporting/exploding out of someone ability?

Thanks in advance!

Bloodmagus or Blood mage from 3.5 will be on the list, if I think of something for shadowcaster I'll do something with it too.

Blood mage might use a hit dice mechanic like the Fiendish Frenzy.

I'm guessing they would be the psionic version of those races.

Yeah, I think that could work. Didn't the 3e half giant gain stomp or something like that?

Avariel elf and hobgoblin. :)

I hate elves so I'll stay away from that.

Hobgoblins however...

Spacehamster
2015-10-06, 05:58 PM
Bloodmagus or Blood mage from 3.5 will be on the list, if I think of something for shadowcaster I'll do something with it too.

Blood mage might use a hit dice mechanic like the Fiendish Frenzy.

Yeah, I think that could work. Didn't the 3e half giant gain stomp or something like that?

I hate elves so I'll stay away from that.

Hobgoblins however...

Well Avariel would be pretty simple now that I think of it, +2 DEX, +1CHA, darkvision and 30 walk speed 35 fly speed or smthn such. Hobgoblins could be interesting with their militaristic, disciplined way of life. :) maybe +1DEX, +1 STR and +2CON, darkvision and maybe one superiority die d6 and one battlemaster maneuver to simulate their warlikeness. :)

TopCheese
2015-10-06, 06:21 PM
I've decided that Half-Giant didn't *need* to be psionic and you could represent them with purely martial abilities.

If Stomp and Might Stomp look familiar then there is a reason for that.

Ability Score Improvement: +2 Str, +1 Con
Speed: 30'
Size: Medium
Languages: Common, Giant
Senses: Darkvision

Powerful Build: As Goliath.

Stomp: As an action the Half-Giant may deliver a powerful kick to the ground. All creatures within 5' take 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage. A creature who passes a Dexterity save (DC 8 + Prof + Str Modifier) negates the damage. At levels 5, 11, and 17 this damage increases by 1d6 to a maximum of 4d6 damage.

Mighty Stomp: Once per long rest the Half-Giant may increase the range of their Stomp to 10' and cause creatures to fall prone if they fail the dexterity saving throw.

TopCheese
2015-10-06, 07:36 PM

I think I'll make a subclass that is a Maestro (controls the tempo of the battle) and then make conjuration spells that bring out specific instruments (concentration) that the Maestro can have play fast, slow, soft, etc...

The Bard has three subclass levels (3, 6, 14) so making all of this as a subclass would be hard.

Edit

Here is my idea of what a Maestro can do.

Maestro Performance (3rd level): A creature needs only see you, not hear you, to benefit from your Bard class features. This does not apply to spellcasting.

Inspire Tempo (3rd level): You learn to subtly change the tempo of the battlefield. Whenever a creature moves, you may as a reaction, expend a Bardic Inspiration die to double or halve the speed of the creature. Creatures that have their speed increase up don't provoke OA for moving.

Additionally any creature that has a Bardic Inspiration die from you may expend it to cast the spell Feather Fall.

Nishant
2015-10-07, 01:25 PM
Slight deviation; What does PEACH stand for or mean?

TopCheese
2015-10-07, 01:36 PM
Slight deviation; What does PEACH stand for or mean?

Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Or some other variation of that.

SharkForce
2015-10-07, 09:10 PM
Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Or some other variation of that.

think it was examine, not evaluate. could be wrong though.

but it always annoyed me. partly because most of the time, people used it to mean "you're not allowed to tell me anything is wrong with my idea now matter how mechanically flawed or brokenly unbalanced it is" (in spite of honest critique sometimes requires you to tell someone they've just had a bad idea and need to reevaluate the entire thing and start over from scratch because it is unsalvageable), and partly because (as someone else noted in their signature line back on the WotC forums), it implies that there is some other possible way you could want someone to respond. (i believe they also posted the alternate acronym PROBSAL: "Please Read, Offer Bad Suggestions, And Lie", to indicate situations in which PEACH would not apply, but obviously it never caught on :P )

to this day, seeing PEACH in a thread title still generally makes me ignore the entire thing.

Nishant
2015-10-07, 09:12 PM

but it always annoyed me. partly because most of the time, people used it to mean "you're not allowed to tell me anything is wrong with my idea now matter how mechanically flawed or brokenly unbalanced it is" (in spite of honest critique sometimes requires you to tell someone they've just had a bad idea and need to reevaluate the entire thing and start over from scratch because it is unsalvageable), and partly because (as someone else noted in their signature line back on the WotC forums), it implies that there is some other possible way you could want someone to respond. (i believe they also posted the alternate acronym PROBSAL: "Please Read, Offer Bad Suggestions, And Lie", to indicate situations in which PEACH would not apply, but obviously it never caught on :P )

to this day, seeing PEACH in a thread title still generally makes me ignore the entire thing.

So PEACH is like reading bad fanfiction?

Vertai
2015-10-07, 11:05 PM
Would love to see the Blademaster prestige class from WoT 3.5 made into a subclass, probably for fighter.

TopCheese
2015-10-08, 05:17 AM
Would love to see the Blademaster prestige class from WoT 3.5 made into a subclass, probably for fighter.

What's WoT? I've never heard of Blademaster.

JNAProductions
2015-10-08, 05:21 AM

I use PEACH and I take critiscm in stride. I'd rather have someone say "This sucks because X" if it sucks, because otherwise how am I gonna fix the class?

SharkForce
2015-10-08, 10:37 AM
I use PEACH and I take critiscm in stride. I'd rather have someone say "This sucks because X" if it sucks, because otherwise how am I gonna fix the class?

sure, but how do i tell the difference between "i actually mean you can tell me the problems with my idea because i legitimately want to improve them and am prepared to accept that my creation is not flawless" and "i'm telling you to tell me what's wrong with my idea, but if you actually do that i'll throw a fit and call you names and tell my mommy!" posters when they both use PEACH? particularly since my experience is that most people who use PEACH are the ones who don't really want honest feedback, they just want me to pad their ego...

plus, that still doesn't address the other point: what you're requesting is that i give feedback in the way feedback is supposed to be given in the first place. that's like going to a restaurant and ordering your meal, then saying "oh, by the way, could you put my soup in a bowl?". assuming they're even remotely competent, they were going to do that anyways. you don't ask for it. by default, if you ask for soup, you expect it to be served in a bowl.

JNAProductions
2015-10-08, 10:39 AM
You know, you make a good point, Sharkforce. PEACH has been removed from my latest Homebrew (the only one currently in the process of being critiqued).

TopCheese
2015-10-08, 10:52 AM
My only issue is when people freak out over fluff when mechanics are really the bigger issue.

I saw a fighter once that had a ninja subclass and people flipped out over if the ninja could be a fighter subclass.

I would welcome people telling me if there was something wrong with a mechanic but would probabaly ignore any fluff issues. Unless I'm going for a certain fluff and using words or terms that don't make sense for that specific fluff (Maestro Bard should have musical terms and stuff and not just cool words).

Nishant
2015-10-08, 11:33 AM
I've always been hesitant on homebrew, to be honest. Much less so on here, since most people have a level of quality or understanding of the game. Who all do you guys look for when you're surfing through homebrew

Rfkannen
2015-10-08, 12:14 PM
Well class wise;

I want to see an alchemist. The transmutation wizard does okayish, but I would rather they weren't a caster.

I really love sha'ir. you should totally do one! Fluff makes sense as a warlock, though older mechanics always fit with wizards (heck they were even a type of wizard in 4e)

also it might be interesting to see how you do a sohei.

maybe the battle dancer from dragon compendium?

race wise;

bariaur might be interesting, they just get so little attention!

deva from 4e I thought were cool

pixies; I have always wanted to and have never gotten a chance to play a pixie barbarian

Nishant
2015-10-08, 12:36 PM
Well class wise;

I want to see an alchemist. The transmutation wizard does okayish, but I would rather they weren't a caster.

I really love sha'ir. you should totally do one!

race wise;

bariur might be interesting, they just get so little attention!

pixies; I have always wanted to and have never gotten a chance to play a pixie barbarian

Alchemist was easily my favorite class in Pathfinder. The Jekyll&Hyde build with mutagens were really cool!
-Sidenote... Could I get a Jekyll&Hyde subclass for a fighter or rogue? That just caught me.

What is a Bariur? A planar creature? It has the naming style... Also, never before did I realize my desire to play as a barbarian pixie or sprite.. You have opened my eyes. But wouldn't size make it difficult? The same way we worry about large PCs making the game weird?

Rfkannen
2015-10-08, 12:40 PM
Alchemist was easily my favorite class in Pathfinder. The Jekyll&Hyde build with mutagens were really cool!
-Sidenote... Could I get a Jekyll&Hyde subclass for a fighter or rogue? That just caught me.

What is a Bariur? A planar creature? It has the naming style... Also, never before did I realize my desire to play as a barbarian pixie or sprite.. You have opened my eyes. But wouldn't size make it difficult? The same way we worry about large PCs making the game weird?

I totally misspelled it. Woops. Correct spelling is bariaur. Yeah, plansecape goat centaurs, I have never even met someone who ever played one.

Alchemists were cool in pathfinder, that was a good take on them.

yeah size would make it hard, but there are ways to make anything work! pixies were a race in 4e at least.

TopCheese
2015-10-08, 01:06 PM
Well class wise;

I really love sha'ir. you should totally do one!

maybe the battle dancer from dragon compendium?

race wise;

bariaur might be interesting, they just get so little attention!

4E/PF Alchemist could be made.

Battledancer... I think I recall something like that. Might be able to pull something together, maybe a feat, that could be interesting.

Pixie Race? Yeah I think I can do that. I played a Pixie Barbarian in 4e, lots of fun.

I would make Alchemist it's own class really. Them make three subclasses. A 4e type alchemist, a Jekyll/Hyde type, and a PF bomber type.

Edit

Sohei? Hmm mounted monk, might let their mount use martial arts haha.

Falcon X
2015-10-08, 03:12 PM
Spellscale from 3.5's Races of Dragon was always one of my favorite.

A really good classical Witch would be nice. Likely a subclass of Warlock.

And I had a player request a weapon's master. Someone who could use any weapon, do something like iajutsu, and likely some improvised weaponry.

TopCheese
2015-10-08, 03:35 PM
Spellscale from 3.5's Races of Dragon was always one of my favorite.

A really good classical Witch would be nice. Likely a subclass of Warlock.

And I had a player request a weapon's master. Someone who could use any weapon, do something like iajutsu, and likely some improvised weaponry.

The Witch would Probabaly be a sorcerer because I absolutely love the idea of hexes and metamagic. But I'll think about either Warlock or Druid too.

Weapon Master can be interesting, Probabaly a Fighter or Barbarian subclass.

Vertai
2015-10-08, 04:50 PM
What's WoT? I've never heard of Blademaster.

WoT stands for Wheel of Time, which is a series of books. Wizards released a book on them with the 3.0 (not 3.5, my bad) ruleset, Blademaster is one of the prestige classes in there.

Nishant
2015-10-08, 10:50 PM
4E/PF Alchemist could be made.

Battledancer... I think I recall something like that. Might be able to pull something together, maybe a feat, that could be interesting.

Pixie Race? Yeah I think I can do that. I played a Pixie Barbarian in 4e, lots of fun.

I would make Alchemist it's own class really. Them make three subclasses. A 4e type alchemist, a Jekyll/Hyde type, and a PF bomber type.

Edit

Sohei? Hmm mounted monk, might let their mount use martial arts haha.

I would love the Alchemist Class so much.

BladeWing81
2015-10-14, 07:49 AM
Ok here is one I wanted to make myself but seemed a little to complicated to truly create: a "Blind warrior", Since they pulled out the demon hunter in world of warcraft but even before there's Zatoichi, Toph Bei Fong, daredevil. you name it! I was thinking of being maybe a subclass for the warrior or the Monk to have blindsight from birth, get blinded when you get this subclass (like the Demon hunters) or put on a blindfold with a bonus action.

Baptor
2015-10-14, 06:19 PM
Wilder, initiate - class
Ashaman, aes sedai - subclass
From the wheel of time d20 rpg.
If you are feeling even more spunky, convert the weaves too. :)

Ralanr
2015-10-15, 07:59 PM
Subrace: A subrace for each dragonborn color. Bonus points for not using wings or tails.