PDA

View Full Version : Your Basic Cross-Species Height List

Shieldage
2007-05-18, 10:24 PM
I'm putting up this list, which compares the height of humanoids across several games. I mainly created this for use in fanfic, which is why the original thread is over here (http://tthfanfic.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=3311).

This version has Shadowrun, Earthdawn, Dungeons & Dragons, and World of WarCraft. None of which I'm affiliated with.

I really would like to add the races of Middle Earth, because they're a very obvious gap in the table. Though I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the dwarves are about 4 feet tall. ;)

These heights may change depending on what version/site you look at. These are averages or values selected from the given range of heights, which can vary by a lot.

Feet to Meter Conversions provided by an awesome calculator here (http://www.csgnetwork.com/csgcvtftin2meterscalc.html)

*: These humanoids are the ones not explicitly designed for PC-use

Your Basic Cross-Species Height List: Version 1.01

1'6 0.46m

Windlings/Pixies (ED)

3' 0.91m

Gnomes (D&D), Gnomes (WoW), Goblins (WoW)*, Halflings (D&D)

4' 1.22m

Dwarves (D&D), Dwarves (SR/ED), Dwarves (WoW)

5' 1.52m

Elves (D&D),

5'7 1.70m

Humans ("Average height" for SR/ED)

5'9 1.75m

T'skrang/Lizardfolk (ED)

6'3 1.91m

Elves (SR/ED), Orks (SR/ED)

6'6 1.98m

Half-Orcs (D&D), High/Blood Elves (WoW), Orcs (WoW),

7' 2.13m

Gnolls (WoW)*

7'3 2.21m

Obsidimen/Rockmen (ED)

7'6 2.28m

Draenei (WoW), Night Elves (WoW), Trolls (WoW). Tauren (WoW) have been reported as either being about this height, or 12' 3.66m, which is odd...

8'3 2.51m

Half-Giant (D&D), Wendigo/Vampiric Ork (SR)*

8'6 2.59m

Trolls (ED)

9'3 2.82m

Trolls (SR)

9'6 2.90m

Sasquatch (SR)*

10'6 3.20m

Formorian/Vampiric Troll (SR)*

11'6 3.50m

Giants (SR)

Any thing you would like to see represented or game/genre you'd like to see included?

Matthew
2007-05-30, 10:34 PM
According to a guide I once read about Middle Earth, Dwarves are 4 to 5 Feet tall... Elves average 6 Feet.

Shieldage
2007-06-01, 08:20 PM
That'd put the elves' height well within the 'above average but still normal' range for humans.

Thankies :D

Matthew
2007-06-01, 09:18 PM
I had a look in my old Iron Crown Red Box Middle Earth Roleplaying Game Book and there Dwarves are listed as 4-5', Sylvan Elves 6' (on average). However, Noldor and Sindar Elves are quite a bit taller, averaging around 6',6". Men are listed as varying from 5',4" to 6',6". I don't think Tolkien ever presented such data, so I suspect this is extrapolation based on the idea that Men and Elves are of similar height (which does appear to have been stated).

TheElfLord
2007-06-01, 10:52 PM
According to Unfinished Tales full blooded Numonorians had a stride 38 inches long, and a normal sized man was double that, or 76 inches. This gives an average hight for Numonorians as 6'4" and an average of 3'2" for Hobbits (being half as tall as a man) Though I don't have the reference with me Pipin also tells his height towards the begining of the Return of the King. So the elves would all tend to be taller than 6'4".