PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Need help with creating character

meowies
2015-09-30, 01:30 PM
So im playing for the first time and have read the 3.5 manual and watched many videos but still am really confused about a number of things on filling out charecter sheet.I want a half elf bard. So I got the easy stuff done like name, age, picture,ect. Then I rolled and selected where to put everything. Since I want a bard I put the highest number in dexterity. Things auto filled in at that point because I used www.myth-weavers.com so now what? Where do I get the rest of the info from? how do I select the items that my char carries? This is what i got so far http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=574564

ExLibrisMortis
2015-09-30, 02:06 PM
You still need to fill in base save bonus (+0 Fortitude, +2 Reflex, +2 Will) for a first-level bard.

You still need to mark which skills are class skills, and which skills are not, on the second sheet. If you look at the Mythweavers sheet, you see a column of checkboxes headed by 'CC'. In the Player's Handbook, there is a similar list in the Skills chapter, you can use that for reference.

Then, you need to spend your skill points. As spellcaster, you will want Concentration, and bards practically need Perform. Diplomacy is a classic bard choice, as well.

You still need to mark how many spells you know (at level 1, this is 4 0th-level spells), and which ones, on the third sheet. You also need to mark how many you can cast per day (2 0th-level spells). Don't forget to note the bonus spells you get to cast each day, for having 14 Charisma (none, for 0th-level spells, but this becomes important later).

Remember to mark down feats, languages, and half-elf abilities.

Equipment is handled in chapter 7. Generally, you get a budget (for bards, this is 4d4 * 10 gp, or 100 gp average), and you can 'buy' starting items for the listed prices. For a bard, you could buy a longsword (15 gp), a shortbow (30 gp + 1 gp for 20 arrows), studded leather armour (25 gp), and a mule (8 gp, it carries loot, or prisoners, or yourself), then spend 21 gp on supplies (bring items with multiple uses - 10' poles, rope, etcetera). Update your base attacks and AC, on the first sheet, and enter armour check penalty and maximum dexterity bonus.

Remember that you are using your longsword two-handed. With 12 strength, this won't make a difference, but at 14 strength, it does.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-09-30, 02:28 PM
You will also need a feat. There is actually a bunch of stuff to do yet, but focus on skills and feats right now.

nedz
2015-09-30, 03:18 PM
FWIW The first 3.5 character I played was a Bard. He didn't have concentration but he did have Tumble. It was never an issue, but he never cast spells in combat.

There are a number of Handbooks which cover the basics. E.g. this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8284).

Crake
2015-09-30, 10:46 PM
If you're playing with real life people rather than online, it would probably be best to have one of the more experienced players, or better yet, the DM, go over the character creation rules with you as you make your character. Having someone there explaining every question you have as you ask it is infinitely better than asking about it on a forum online. If you're playing in an online game, perhaps see if you can do something similar over a voice chat program, like skype, with your DM, or at least something real time, like facebook chat, or gtalk. Forums are not a great place to have consistent, back and forth conversations, simply by their asynchronous nature.