PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Building an encounter for a lvl11 playtest

Citan
2015-09-30, 01:45 PM
Hi all!

I'm asking for help because I just started DMing 5e a few weeks ago, and my campaign's players is only around lvl 3.

Since I'm currently writing a homebrew class and (more or less) finished a first draft, I'd like to confront it to similar classes.

In one sentence, this class is a mix between DEX-oriented martial (2 attacks, weapon proficiencies, defensive abilities), short-rest weapon-based abilities (similar to BM in resource management) and a bit of long rest "spell-like" abilities (mainly concentration buffs or area spells).

I'm pretty confident in the class balance in low levels, not on the 3rd and last tier of character progression.

So, I'd like to DM-ing an encounter with a friend, to pit creatures against a team composed of (all lvl 11, attack/casting stat maxed, all other stats around 14):

one Elemancer (homebrew)
one Eldricht Knight (Sword & Board) with mix of offensive and defensive spells (Fireball, Shield, Mirror Image, and whatever you'd usually recommend for a frontliner)
one Rogue Trickster (TWF)
one Vengeance Paladin (with GWM+GWF)
one Bladelock (whatever).

I could just pick monsters randomly while following CR recommendations, but I'd like the players to be confronted to various situations (spells? special monsters abilities?), and I have only little idea of what kind of monsters could be too hard for them to handle.

This can be a more than hard (even deadly) encounter since it's totally just characters made up for mechanical testing. I'll stage it in an environment like village ruins, so open sky, mix of corridors and large arenas, covers.

Thanks in advance for any tip you could provide.
(EDIT I'm not in haste since we are currently doing the test at lvl 3, then I'll do one at lvl 7)