PDA

View Full Version : Help me think of Frank Castle Personality Traits / Bonds / Ideals / Flaws!

Snig
2015-09-30, 02:13 PM
Hey everyone. Thanks for the lively discussion on the Frank Castle alignment thread. It continues to be an interesting topic. For now I think i'll put LN on my character sheet, however great points have been made for LE as well. I've been convinced that Frank is not Good aligned.

I'm now trying to come up with personality traits / bonds / ideals and flaws for him. I wish I was more creative, but i'm better at finding info and using it rather then conjuring it on my own. And so I ask you all for some help.

As I stated in my previous thread, my character is basically Frank Castle in the D&D universe. I'm thinking of having his background as a standard soldier of some sort, perhaps part of an elite military unit. After his wife and two children we're killed and the killers escaped justice (perhaps through corrupt judge / legal system?), Frank takes matters into his own hands.

I'm thinking of having him swear his oath to Hoar, the deity of revenge, retribution and poetic justice and take up a crusade against evil.

So in the punishes comics Franks sworn enemies are mostly organized crime. It was the mafia who killed his family. I'd like to translate that to D&D and instead of swearing to take out organized crime, he would also seek out evil, fiends, demons as well as anyone else who would prey on the innocent. This would tie in well with our Rage of Demons campaign. So what connection would these enemies have to the death of his family, and why would frank go out of his way to journey into the underdark to seek vengeance upon the evils down there? Any ideas?

Mrglee
2015-09-30, 02:20 PM
An easy in is demon cultist. I have yet to read the book, but I have a feel it involves demons.
The other in is drow. Depending on how racist you are willing to make your character, a drow could have been responsible for the death of his family, and he has sorta applied that to all drow. I am AFB, but I believe drow are described as generally disliked by the world as well, so it would support his viewpoint. You might want to change it so he is less so over the campaign, but his hatred of a race would get him into the underdark.

L Space
2015-09-30, 02:37 PM
Well with Rage of Demons you don't really need a reason for travelling into the Underdark as the campaign starts off with you already being down there.You start off having already been captured by Drow. So instead of figuring out why he's traveling to the Underdark, you'll want to decide how/why he was captured by Drow.

Now as for his "Traits / Bonds / Ideals / Flaws" I'm also AFB, but I'd focus on things like seeking justice for those harmed by evil/crime and preventing it from happening again. For a Flaw I'd go for something along the line that once you have found such evil you will stop at nothing and take whatever risks you feel are necessary to stop it.

PS. I wasn't really sure if the spoiler tag was needed as it's literally the first thing to happen in the campaign, but I decided to play it safe.

comicshorse
2015-09-30, 04:36 PM
So in the punishes comics Franks sworn enemies are mostly organized crime. It was the mafia who killed his family. I'd like to translate that to D&D and instead of swearing to take out organized crime, he would also seek out evil, fiends, demons as well as anyone else who would prey on the innocent. This would tie in well with our Rage of Demons campaign. So what connection would these enemies have to the death of his family, and why would frank go out of his way to journey into the underdark to seek vengeance upon the evils down there? Any ideas?

IMHO part of the tragedy of the Punisher is that the gangsters who murdered his family did so was not out of any reason they were just caught in the crossfire of them doing business. It wasn't even a diabolical plot it was the casual murder of innocents because they happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time
So I'd say the only connection to the bad guys should be chance this makes the loss more terrible and the bad guys harder to track down

Is

Malifice
2015-10-01, 03:35 AM
Traits: I am disciplined and plan my actions meticulously.

Bonds: "I do what I must to make lawbreakers pay."

Ideals: "I fight for vengance for those who cannot fight for themselves."

Flaws: "I am single minded in my pursuit of vengance. I refuse to compromise on my morals. The guilty must be punished."