PDA

View Full Version : Adventurer Guide Preview 1 !

andhaira
2015-09-30, 08:03 PM
http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?2917-First-DnD-extra-life-preview-unlocked#.VgyGBJfQt96

Thoughts??

TopCheese
2015-09-30, 08:45 PM
http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?2917-First-DnD-extra-life-preview-unlocked#.VgyGBJfQt96

Thoughts??

They really need to fire their PR person.

Hey, here is a crappy preview, you will get more if we make more money.

Oh and that forum that helped tons of people? Yeah we don't have the time, energy, or money to keep that running... But give us more money for more previews!

I think Derek Rose might just be their damn head of PR.

HarrisonF
2015-09-30, 08:51 PM
They really need to fire their PR person.

Hey, here is a crappy preview, you will get more if we make more money.

Oh and that forum that helped tons of people? Yeah we don't have the time, energy, or money to keep that running... But give us more money for more previews!

I think Derek Rose might just be their damn head of PR.
They are raising money for charity and you are complaining about their PR?

TopCheese
2015-09-30, 08:58 PM

The charity part is fine. But the way they are doing it is bad PR.

Kinda like when a shady politician does something for charity. Yeah charity is great but the politician not so much. Just because you are doing something good doesn't mean everything about you is good.

JAL_1138
2015-09-30, 09:12 PM

Ditto. This isn't WotC lining their own pockets or grubbing more money for themselves. If it was Kickstarter, yeah, it'd be crappy, but the money's going to charity.

EvanescentHero
2015-10-01, 09:00 AM
...anyway...

For anyone who didn't read the posted link:
They're raising money for charity and showing off parts of the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide when they hit certain amounts.
At $50,000, they'll show off the table of contents.
At $60,000, they'll show off a new cantrip called greenflame blade.
At $70,000, they'll show off a new background, the Urban Bounty Hunter.
At $80,000, they'll show off a new roguish archetype, the Mastermind.
At $90,000, they'll show off a new race and all its subraces: the duergar.
Finally, at $100,000, they'll show an updated, high-res, labeled map of the northwestern part of the world.

They're about six grand away from the Table of Contents being unlocked right now, so soon we'll know way more about what's in the book.

Personally, I'm very excited to see the new rogue archetype and how they balance the duergars' natural ability to turn invisible. I'm also glad the bounty hunter background is coming back, since that was in the playtest and not in the PHB.

Malifice
2015-10-01, 09:37 AM
...anyway...

For anyone who didn't read the posted link:
They're raising money for charity and showing off parts of the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide when they hit certain amounts.
At $50,000, they'll show off the table of contents.
At $60,000, they'll show off a new cantrip called greenflame blade.
At $70,000, they'll show off a new background, the Urban Bounty Hunter.
At $80,000, they'll show off a new roguish archetype, the Mastermind.
At $90,000, they'll show off a new race and all its subraces: the duergar.
Finally, at $100,000, they'll show an updated, high-res, labeled map of the northwestern part of the world.

They're about six grand away from the Table of Contents being unlocked right now, so soon we'll know way more about what's in the book.

Personally, I'm very excited to see the new rogue archetype and how they balance the duergars' natural ability to turn invisible. I'm also glad the bounty hunter background is coming back, since that was in the playtest and not in the PHB.

Duergar is a race and not a subrace?

Urban Bounty Hunter? Vengance paladins of the world unite!

DanyBallon
2015-10-01, 10:19 AM
Reading the preface, I hope the level of detail for chapter 1-3 will be in the line of the old D&D Gazetteer for 3.0, maybe a bit more but not that much, so this way almost anyone can adapt the Swordcoast to their setting, or run a game in FR without having to care about the extensive lore.

EvanescentHero
2015-10-01, 10:43 AM
Duergar is a race and not a subrace?

"$90,000

Duergar race entry, including subrace traits."

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/dd-extra-life-update

DanyBallon
2015-10-01, 09:02 PM
The bar of 50,000$ is reached and the Table of content (http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/SCAG_ToC_2k33.pdf) is available.

Clever WotC to give generic sub-section under the classes chapter. But from the sidebar list we can guess that their will be new totems for Uthgardt tribes, Swashbuckler roguish archetype, and that Bladesigner will probably be an Arcane Tradition. There may be also mention of Avariel and Aquatic elves uner the rare elf sidebar and Aasimar may get a bit of lore.

DracoKnight
2015-10-02, 03:05 AM
I'm psyched for this book :D

Malifice
2015-10-02, 03:32 AM
I'm psyched for this book :D

Its my most anticipated purchase since the PHB.

This, Star Wars 7 and Fallout 4 (pip boy edition) in 2015.

Thanks the gods.

EvanescentHero
2015-10-02, 11:24 AM
So it looks like barbarians, bards, druids, monks, and rogues are getting multiple subclasses, while everyone else is getting only one (except rangers, who are apparently getting nothing?). We already know about the Uthgardt barbarians, and bladesinger might be a bard subclass. Plus rogues are getting the mastermind and it seems the swashbuckler. On top of that, we know paladins are getting Oath of the Crown, which probably means the Purple Dragon knight is a fighter subclass. And we know that warlocks are getting the Undying patron, and presumably the sorcerer bloodline will be Stormborn.

So, what else are we getting? Another barbarian subclass, at least one more bard subclass, multiple druid options, multiple monk options, and a wizard option (though that might be the bladesinger as well). Any ideas what those might be?

mephnick
2015-10-02, 11:30 AM
(except rangers, who are apparently getting nothing?)

Of course.

Prophet_of_Io
2015-10-02, 11:34 AM
Bladesinger Confrimed?! Well this just got my preorder.

DanyBallon
2015-10-02, 12:10 PM
Bladesinger have a side bar in the page range of the Arcane Traditions for Wizards. Are they a full sub-class or juste a side note, we'll see when the book is out.

EvanescentHero
2015-10-02, 01:14 PM
Bladesinger have a side bar in the page range of the Arcane Traditions for Wizards. Are they a full sub-class or juste a side note, we'll see when the book is out.

Good catch. That means two bard subclasses we don't know about.

gullveig
2015-10-02, 03:18 PM
A hint to Greenflame Blade... http://dnd4.wikia.com/wiki/Greenflame_blade

obryn
2015-10-02, 03:32 PM
No sign of expanded Battlemaster maneuvers or anything of that nature... Shocking. :smallsigh:

DracoKnight
2015-10-02, 09:48 PM
Currently at $59,583...only $417 until we get Greenflame Blade! :D

Malifice
2015-10-02, 10:04 PM
Currently at $59,583...only $417 until we get Greenflame Blade! :D

I'm tipping a melee spell attack dealing d8s plus int fire damage.

Gnomes2169
2015-10-02, 10:47 PM
Hmmmm... No sections specifically calling out Cromyr or Amn. I'm wondering if they are being lumped in with the Sword Coast (despite technically being separate entities from it) or if they are going to just get honorable mentions (like the Purple Dragom Knight for Cromyr and (maybe) a background for Amn)).

ad_hoc
2015-10-02, 11:14 PM
Greenflame Blade:

http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/SCAG_GreenflameBlade_ma9d.png

DracoKnight
2015-10-02, 11:45 PM
Greenflame Blade:

That's really good for Bladelocks :D And Eldritch Knights :D

Mrglee
2015-10-03, 12:10 AM
No sign of expanded Battlemaster maneuvers or anything of that nature... Shocking. :smallsigh:

Could be under the Martial Archetype section.

Anyhow, kinda a lackluster spell, but a neat design space.

JoeJ
2015-10-03, 12:13 AM
Could be under the Martial Archetype section.

Anyhow, kinda a lackluster spell, but a neat design space.

I'd be pretty surprised if they had any new Battle Master maneuvers. What kind of maneuver would make sense as a unique feature of just one world?

Gnomes2169
2015-10-03, 12:15 AM
Greenflame Blade:

... And now Eldrich Knights have a reason to add to Int.

SharkForce
2015-10-03, 02:42 AM
... And now Eldrich Knights have a reason to add to Int.

not especially.

one ASI to add one damage to one target... doesn't sound that great to me.

NNescio
2015-10-03, 03:13 AM
Take Greenflame Blade, and now everyone at the table is obliged to shout "Green Flame!" each time you use it.

Gnomes2169
2015-10-03, 05:36 AM
not especially.

one ASI to add one damage to one target... doesn't sound that great to me.

Except let's look at level 12, where our Eldrich Knight fighter can have 20 str (GWF style) or 20 dex (Duelist style) and 20 int (if base or variant human, they can still have 16 con via the point buy system and either a feat or just being human). Let's just take a look at the damage vs AC 16 of just attacking 3 times and using the blade.

Base damage (gwf+feat):
-# Attacks: 3
-Damage/ hit (ignoring crits): 2d6+5 reroll 1&2=~13.1
-Accuracy: 70%
-Damage with -5/+10: ~23.1
-Accuracy with -5/+10: 45%
-Total damage: 3(.7x13.1)= 27.51 or 3(.45x23.1)= 31.185

Base damage (duelist+Shield master):
-# Attacks: 3
-Damage/ hit (ignoring crits): 1d8+5+2= 11.5
-Accuracy: 70% (~89% if target is tripped)
-Total damage: 3(.7x11.5)= 24.15 or 3(.89x11.5)= 29.67

Greenflame blade (gwf):
-# Attacks: 1+1 bonus action
-Damage (primary): 2d6+5+2d8 (fire) reroll 1's and 2's= ~23.8 weapon/ fire
-Damage (secondary): 2d8+5 (fire) reroll 1&2= ~15.1 fire
-Damage (ek bonus action): ~13.1
Accuracy: 70%
Damage (total): (.7x38.9)+(.7x13.1)= 27.23+9.17= 36.3

Greenflame blade (duelist):
-# Attacks: 1+1 bonus action
-Damage (primary): 1d8+5+2+2d8 (fire)= 20.5
-Damage (secondary): 2d8+5= 14 fire
-Damage (ek bonus action): 1d8+5+2= 11.5
-Accuracy: 70%
-Total damage: (.7x34.5)+(.7x11.5)= 24.15+8.05= 32.2

So for the GWF we have a 14.1% increase in damage over the -5/+10 GWF even without the feat for their fighting style, and the Duelist fighter sees a 7.9% increase in damage if the Duelist uses shield master to knock something prone... Which, at level 12, isn't guaranteed due to enemy sizes (it's a 25% increase vs non-prone targets).

To make matters worse for the non-int EK, the greenflame can then pick up GWM/SM at level 14, and deals an additional 1d8 damage to both primary and secondary targets at level 17. So at higher levels they sacrifice nothing in terms of DPR against single targets, while their at-will DPR spikes against groups.

Oh, and at level 3 it's just a straight upgrade to the 1 attack an EK can make each round anyway (+int damage/ hit), at level 5 it's +2d8+int vs +2d6+str or +1d8+str/ dex, so once again a straight upgrade, and level 11 is only 1 point different for the int-focused EK. And crits only multiply the problem, given the secondary targets are still being hit by the same attack as the primary, so those dice are increased as well. Spells like haste will benefit the int-based EK the same as a different EK, while Enlarge will give an EK that is auto-attacking a bonus 2d4 damage at level 20 in extra benefit vs the int based one (which will be getting 6d8+5 (32) fire damage over all vs the 4d6+10+2d4 (29) damage those extra two attacks a level 20 EK would be able to make).

All in all, I think this does quite a bit to help out our EK friend in melee, and I feel like it makes them seem more magical (there is now a reason to use that cantrip+bonus action attack ability). Useful, rather powerful, even if a bit niche.

Inevitability
2015-10-03, 08:13 AM
Seeing the table of contents makes me wonder how much this is intended as a pure FR-sourcebook and how much as a second PHB. They're even giving suggestions for using the material in other worlds!

I do wonder how they'll be handling the fluff, though. The transition from 3.5 to 4e couldn't have been less elegant, so I wonder how they will do it this time.

Greenflame blade doesn't seem too hot (pun intended), though. I suppose it makes mountain dwarf wizards a better option, but the secondary effect doesn't seem very useful except for popping very weak creatures.

lordshadowisle
2015-10-03, 08:35 AM
Greenflame Blade could be insane for melee Arcane Tricksters. You can still apply your Sneak Attack damage on the melee weapon attack, and you also gain the rider damage from the cantrip.

DireSickFish
2015-10-03, 08:37 AM
I think you only get one mele weapon attack with Greenflame blade and it doesn't scale with bonus attacks so it will be useless for any class/builds that generate a second attack. It's for Gishes that are heavy on the caster side to still have a point in auto attacking. I could actually see this going well with the various cleric classes because it would stack with there extra 1d8. Gainign this by magic initiate or being a sun elf.

Santra
2015-10-03, 08:43 AM
EK will get a use of GFB and an Attack once they reach level 7
Arcane Tricksters or rogues that take magic initiate will make good use of it
Bladelocks will love this as well.

A Paladin 2/Sorcerer 18 will probably make the most use out of it. Use the quicken metamagic to get two hits with this a turn while smiting at your highest level.

Submortimer
2015-10-03, 09:21 AM
It's a pretty boss way to keep up your damage as an EK:
20 Str, 20 Int at level 17 with a greatsword is 4d6+3d8+15 (35, with GWM) to one target and 3d8+5 to a second target. Not to mention that I'm fairly certain you get to reroll your GFB dice if you have GW fighting style.

Also, I can see it as a tricky maneuver to get guaranteed damage on a hard to hit target: run up to target, pull rat out of bag, stab rat, hit target for 3d8+5 fire damage.

Dralnu
2015-10-03, 12:25 PM
Situational, amazing for spellcasting melee. I love it.

Gnomes2169
2015-10-03, 04:30 PM
I think you only get one mele weapon attack with Greenflame blade and it doesn't scale with bonus attacks so it will be useless for any class/builds that generate a second attack. It's for Gishes that are heavy on the caster side to still have a point in auto attacking. I could actually see this going well with the various cleric classes because it would stack with there extra 1d8. Gainign this by magic initiate or being a sun elf.

Well, it does more damage over-all even if you are a level 20 EK with 4 attacks, but it's less focused than just attacking 4 times. You still get your bonus action attack for casting a cantrip, and can do some decent damage to two characters. Especially given it's all subject to crits/ GWM, given all of the damage is a product of a single attack (including the secondary target's damage, since it auto-hits).

Lore bards would also like it, since it gives them extra damage on their one attack, and enemies will sometimes get into melee with them, or sometimes you won't want to just make yourself cry when your 10th cutting words fails that encounter... :smallfrown:

rgrekejin
2015-10-04, 09:01 AM
Urban Bounty Hunter: http://tribality.com/2015/10/03/sword-coast-adventurers-guide-previews-4/

So... am I missing something? This entire background looks like it's just Criminal+. From a crunch standpoint, this background makes the Criminal completely obsolete, or at least redundant.

Inevitability
2015-10-04, 11:18 AM
Urban Bounty Hunter: http://tribality.com/2015/10/03/sword-coast-adventurers-guide-previews-4/

So... am I missing something? This entire background looks like it's just Criminal+. From a crunch standpoint, this background makes the Criminal completely obsolete, or at least redundant.

Unless you somehow need a crowbar and can't just buy one, it is.

Maybe WotC got complaints that criminals didn't get to use their feature often enough and decided to completely redo the entire background?

rgrekejin
2015-10-04, 12:35 PM
Unless you somehow need a crowbar and can't just buy one, it is.

Maybe WotC got complaints that criminals didn't get to use their feature often enough and decided to completely redo the entire background?

Well, I certainly hope that some of the other stuff in the SCAG turns out to be more than just re-skinned PHB stuff and/or stuff that just makes PHB stuff redundant. This has been one of my big fears with 5e splatbooks - that the relative simplicity of the system would make it hard to add more options that aren't just re-fluffed versions of older stuff without upsetting the pretty decent balance the system has overall.

DivisibleByZero
2015-10-04, 01:37 PM
New Rogue Archetype: Mastermind (http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/SCAG_RoguishArchetype_m39d.pdf)

Hyena
2015-10-04, 01:43 PM
In the other news, Wizards still haven't fired the guy who draws all the halfling art. What a shame.

Mrglee
2015-10-04, 04:10 PM
New Rogue Archetype: Mastermind (http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/SCAG_RoguishArchetype_m39d.pdf)

The most exciting part of this reveal is that we are getting an official Swashbuckler write up.

Gnomes2169
2015-10-04, 05:47 PM
The most exciting part of this reveal is that we are getting an official Swashbuckler write up.

Not only that, but it's remaining a rougish archetype! Huzzah!

However, in a political/ intregue/ darker campaign where mind reading, knowing an individual's intellect and the like are important things, Mastermind could be fun. Especially since they can give a meatshield melee ally free advantage on their attacks and give a help action to their ally outside of combat in a group skill challenge, while still contributing to the challenge themselves.

Strill
2015-10-04, 07:31 PM
I think the Master of Tactics is terrible compared to the alternatives, and that rogue needs another combat perk for their level 3 ability.

Help as a bonus action would be great, except that the Rogue themselves is the one who benefits the most from advantage by far. Since they already have the ability to Hide every turn, the only time they benefit from using Master of Tactics is when they already have advantage from something else. That means that Master of Tactics is a backup plan, and not a go-to primary ability like what Thief and Assassin get. That's not good enough.

MeeposFire
2015-10-04, 07:40 PM
The thief's third level ability is pretty situational as well. I mean you can get some utility out of a non-magical item here and there but it probably is not a primary use for your bonus action. JUst like help it can be nice in the right situation.

It is the thief's last ability that really helps in combat what with two rounds in one. The ability to use magic items can be nice except you cannot use it with your bonus action anymore (as per the DM's guide) and attunement makes it very expensive to use.

That is here the mastermind falls behind when you compare to the 17th level ability.

Strill
2015-10-04, 07:57 PM
The thief's third level ability is pretty situational as well. I mean you can get some utility out of a non-magical item here and there but it probably is not a primary use for your bonus action. JUst like help it can be nice in the right situation.It may not be a primary use, bit it is also extremely versatile. You can use a healer's kit to stabilize an ally, or with the Healer feat, bring them back into the fight. You can use Acid, Holy Water, Alchemist's Fire, or Caltrops. You can slap Manacles on creatures that the Wizard just Sleeped. You can even come up with your own crazy batman gadgets.

It is the thief's last ability that really helps in combat what with two rounds in one. The ability to use magic items can be nice except you cannot use it with your bonus action anymore (as per the DM's guide) and attunement makes it very expensive to use.

That is here the mastermind falls behind when you compare to the 17th level ability.I really don't care about class abilities at level 17+ because they're so terribly balanced in general. As far as I'm concerned they might as well not exist.

Gnomes2169
2015-10-04, 09:34 PM
Honestly, getting the Help action at level 3, at range, while still being able to use your normal action, and when characters have the lowest bonuses to their attacks, in the swingiest part of the game where advantage helps the most is something rather massive.

Your paladin/ BM fighter is in melee, low on HP and you can't/ don't drop the high AC boss with your attack? Give them advantage to make sure they hit. Or just give them advantage on their first attack to make your alpha strike as potent as possible. Or give them advantage durring the middle to keep up damage consistency as resources begin to be burnt. Etc, etc.

Help your dedicated grappler keep hold of their foe by giving them advantage on that check (or your tripper with advantage on their next shove, etc, etc).

Ally needs to break out of a grapple/ make an int check to disbelieve an illusion in combat? Give them advantage on the check!

Didn't bring a healer's kit/ the dice gods hate you and you're out of uses and healing spells? Well, you can give your cleric advantage on their heal checks to stabalize your downed party member anyway (since seriously, who takes spare the dying?) and still kill the orc berzerker.

And again, a group check is happening? Choose the ally with the highest bonus/ who rolls the lowest and give them advantage on their check, while still contributing to the check yourself.

The help action is actually rather potent, it just isn't utilized that often because it usually takes up your in-combat action instead of an often more helpful thing (like attacking or casting a spell).

Flashy
2015-10-04, 09:41 PM
Your paladin/ BM fighter is in melee, low on HP and you can't/ don't drop the high AC boss with your attack? Give them advantage to make sure they hit. Or just give them advantage on their first attack to make your alpha strike as potent as possible. Or give them advantage durring the middle to keep up damage consistency as resources begin to be burnt. Etc, etc.

Here's a weird question: What happens if you use the Help action on a BM fighter who then uses Commander's Strike to have you make an attack? Presumably the advantage simply isn't used, but I'm amused by the idea that it works as a really roundabout way to grant yourself advantage.

JoeJ
2015-10-04, 10:06 PM
Here's a weird question: What happens if you use the Help action on a BM fighter who then uses Commander's Strike to have you make an attack? Presumably the advantage simply isn't used, but I'm amused by the idea that it works as a really roundabout way to grant yourself advantage.

If the BM only has one attack, which they give up for Commander's Strike, then I think the advantage would be wasted. If the BM has two or more attacks, however, they can make gain advantage on the first one, then use Commander's Strike to let you attack with your reaction and add a superiority die to the damage roll.

JoeJ
2015-10-04, 10:14 PM
I think the Master of Tactics is terrible compared to the alternatives, and that rogue needs another combat perk for their level 3 ability.

Help as a bonus action would be great, except that the Rogue themselves is the one who benefits the most from advantage by far. Since they already have the ability to Hide every turn, the only time they benefit from using Master of Tactics is when they already have advantage from something else. That means that Master of Tactics is a backup plan, and not a go-to primary ability like what Thief and Assassin get. That's not good enough.

A rogue can attempt to hide every turn. Actually hiding requires both a place to hide, which is situational, and a Stealth check high enough to beat the enemy's passive Perception.

Plus, there's no rule that says a party can only have one rogue. A mastermind can allow another rogue to sneak attack at will, at a range of 30 feet.

Strill
2015-10-04, 10:23 PM
Honestly, getting the Help action at level 3, at range, while still being able to use your normal action, and when characters have the lowest bonuses to their attacks, in the swingiest part of the game where advantage helps the most is something rather massive. You're completely missing the point. YOU as a rogue with sneak attack, are invariably the best target to give advantage to. You will always deal more damage in a single hit than anyone else. There's no reason to help anyone else deal damage when you could get advantage from hiding instead.

Your paladin/ BM fighter is in melee, low on HP and you can't/ don't drop the high AC boss with your attack? Give them advantage to make sure they hit. Or just give them advantage on their first attack to make your alpha strike as potent as possible. Or give them advantage durring the middle to keep up damage consistency as resources begin to be burnt. Etc, etc.Bad idea. You gain more by giving yourself advantage. If you couldn't drop the boss, they won't be able to either.

Help your dedicated grappler keep hold of their foe by giving them advantage on that check (or your tripper with advantage on their next shove, etc, etc). Doesn't matter. If the enemy escapes the grapple, they spent their action to do it, and the grappler can grab them again next turn. In the meantime, you'll do more damage giving yourself advantage than they loose from sacrificing an attack to grapple instead.

Ally needs to break out of a grapple/ make an int check to disbelieve an illusion in combat? Give them advantage on the check! Unless the ally is a spellcaster who is under an illusion that requires an ability check to break out of, AND who could do something more powerful than your sneak attack, no. It's a bad idea.

And again, a group check is happening? Choose the ally with the highest bonus/ who rolls the lowest and give them advantage on their check, while still contributing to the check yourself. You can't give help retroactively. You have to choose before they roll.

The help action is actually rather potent, it just isn't utilized that often because it usually takes up your in-combat action instead of an often more helpful thing (like attacking or casting a spell).Did you completely forget that Rogues can hide as a bonus action, which accomplishes the same thing, but for their own attacks, which is more useful?

A rogue can attempt to hide every turn. Actually hiding requires both a place to hide, which is situational, and a Stealth check high enough to beat the enemy's passive Perception.Well isn't it convenient then that rogues get Expertise and Reliable Talent to ensure that stealth checks never fail. Have you seen creatures' passive perception? It's pathetic compared to the stealth bonuses rogues get. Also, saying that hiding spots are situational is ridiculous. Unless you're in a completely open area with no terrain features at all, there will be a place to hide. Even if you are traveling through the open plains, you can fix that by buying a wagon and hiding behind it. Heck, Halflings don't have to worry about any of this at all.

Plus, there's no rule that says a party can only have one rogue. A mastermind can allow another rogue to sneak attack at will, at a range of 30 feet.That's worse than both rogues just hiding themselves. If you give the other rogue advantage, then unless they're also a mastermind, they won't be able to give you help. That means only one rogue gets advantage instead of both. Since rogues are the best targets to give Help to, it's a total waste to help anyone else when you could help yourself by Hiding.

JoeJ
2015-10-04, 11:00 PM
Well isn't it convenient then that rogues get Expertise and Reliable Talent to ensure that stealth checks never fail. Have you seen creatures' passive perception? It's pathetic compared to the stealth bonuses rogues get.

You don't get Reliable Talent until 11th level. Master of Tactics starts at 3rd. At 3rd level you'll probably have about a +7 Stealth. At CR 3 or below there are a lot of creatures with passive perception of 10 or 11, but also quite a few in the 13-15 range, and a couple that are even higher. I think the highest is 17 for Minotaur. So while you'll succeed in hiding the majority of the time, it certainly won't happen every round.

Also, saying that hiding spots are situational is ridiculous. Unless you're in a completely open area with no terrain features at all, there will be a place to hide. Even if you are traveling through the open plains, you can fix that by buying a wagon and hiding behind it. Heck, Halflings don't have to worry about any of this at all.

I'm not going to reopen the hiding argument that has already taken up several threads, but if you've followed them it should be clear that Jack-in-the-box rogue doesn't work with a lot of DMs. Most of the time you have to come out of hiding, and therefore lose advantage, in order to attack.

Strill
2015-10-04, 11:10 PM
You don't get Reliable Talent until 11th level. Master of Tactics starts at 3rd. At 3rd level you'll probably have about a +7 Stealth. At CR 3 or below there are a lot of creatures with passive perception of 10 or 11, but also quite a few in the 13-15 range, and a couple that are even higher. I think the highest is 17 for Minotaur. So while you'll succeed in hiding the majority of the time, it certainly won't happen every round.By level 5, your stealth bonus is +10. That means you automatically pass all stealth checks of DC11 and below. That problem sorts itself out in short order.

JoeJ
2015-10-04, 11:44 PM
By level 5, your stealth bonus is +10. That means you automatically pass all stealth checks of DC11 and below. That problem sorts itself out in short order.

At CR 5 passive Perception runs as high as 18, with a fair number of creatures in the 14-16 range.

Malifice
2015-10-05, 12:53 AM
By level 5, your stealth bonus is +10. That means you automatically pass all stealth checks of DC11 and below. That problem sorts itself out in short order.

Hiding is only permitted (in many campaigns) when you arent being observed by the enemy 'closely enough'. Not all campaigns allow 'jack in the box' Rogues/ Halflings. Some do. YMMV.

So being allowed to perform the steath check at all is a hurdle that renders your bonus to stealth a little moot.

JoeJ
2015-10-05, 02:22 AM
In any case, Master of Tactics doesn't compete with Cunning Action; it supplements it by providing another option you can use when appropriate. Rather, it competes with Fast Hands, Assassinate, and Mage Hand Legerdemain. Those are what it should be compared against.

SharkForce
2015-10-05, 09:15 AM
or, to look at it another way... if you have an attack and a bonus action attack, and you hit with the first attack, odds are good that you can benefit the party more by helping someone else land a hit with an unpleasant rider, rather than landing your own second hit without being able to add sneak attack to it.

(especially if that other character is a rogue, but even being able to land a paladin's smite with an increased chance of critical, or a fighter's attack with GWM added in, etc, can be quite significant).

of course, if you have a large damage rider on your own second attack (say, you've got poison on your second blade), then sure you might have better uses for your bonus action than to help someone else.

and, of course, help can also be used to help in something other than just attacking as well.