PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Spell Per Day [Paladin]

Bloodzy
2015-09-30, 11:05 PM
I am currently going into a new adventure as a level 8 Paladin, under this template http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?193554-Project-Heretica-not-just-a-Paladin-retooling

I was wondering if there were any ideas on how to increase my spells per day. I love the idea of a Paladin and I like being up in the middle of the fight (hence why I'm not a caster class), but I still want to be able to throw magic around a little bit more often. Heck, it's a game of fantasy. So my question to you guys is, how do I increase my spells per day? (without increasing my Charisma more, which is already at 20)

Any ways will help. I am willing to adjust my character significantly depending on your suggestions.
Feats
Items
Exc..

Thanks in advance,
Bloodzy

Yael
2015-10-01, 04:22 AM
Maybe a Ring of Wizardry? Paladins get low-level spells (even at higher levels), so one of those shouldn't hurt that much if you really want to cast spells. Also, high key-ability/casting stat.

darksolitaire
2015-10-01, 06:15 AM
Mystic Fire Knight substitution levels from Champions of Valor gets bonus spells and other goods. Then you could add the feat Sword of the Arcane Order for wizards spells from the same book. After that, there's Battle Blessing from Complete Champion which auto quickens your Paladin spells. Paladins can turn undead, so you could also grab divine metamagic.

T.G. Oskar
2015-10-04, 12:29 AM
Your best bet is to use a Memento Magica (MIC 165) for 3rd and 4th level spells; those allow you to regain a spent spell slot, effectively giving you another spell slot of each level per day. Remember that, unlike the vanilla Paladin, the Project Heretica Paladin casts spells spontaneously by default (unless you apply the ACF that allows you to replace Charisma with Wisdom, which explicitly switches spellcasting to prepared). The other method is a Rod of Absorption (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rods.htm#absorption); while expensive, it allows you to cast up to 50 levels worth of spells, which amounts to essentially 50 1st level spells, 25 2nd level spells, 16 3rd level spells (and one 2nd level spell/two 1st level spells) or 12 4th level spells (and one 2nd level spell/two 1st level spells), or a combination of each, though it can be quite expensive (50k per rod). Finally, a Circlet of Mages (MIC 86) allows you to retain some spells, mostly up to 3 1st level spells, one 2nd level spell and one 1st level spell, or one 3rd level spell, by spending charges (3 charges/day, rechargeable). All three work to save some of your spellcasting potential.

As for the other recommendations: Ring of Wizardry only works for arcane prepared spellcasters, which means only Wizards or Wu Jen, so not even vanilla Paladins would be capable of benefitting from it, let alone Project Heretica Paladins. Mystic Fire Knight substitution levels are technically incompatible; while you could benefit from the first level as it replaces Turn Undead, you cannot apply for one of the levels because the class lacks Remove Disease as a class feature. Sword of the Arcane Order is also on the iffy spot, because it depends mostly on spell preparation, which the class lacks. On the other hand, Battle Blessing is kosher (you can tell your DM, if he thinks it doesn't matter, that the person who made the retool agrees with it, BTW), but it mostly lets you cast spells as a swift action, not grant you more spells per day (on the other hand, it is PERFECT for what you intend to do, which is cast spells and still act).

Remember that wands are also good. Don't spend a spell slot on Cure Light Wounds if you can have a wand, for example.

Thurbane
2015-10-04, 12:49 AM
Pearls of Power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#pearlofPower) are an easy (but pricey) way to add to spells/day (although you're limited to recalling a spell you've already cast).

There's also the Extra Slot feat from Complete Arcane - although it's generally considered a fairly poor use of a feat.

Bloodzy
2015-10-07, 07:45 AM
Your best bet is to use a Memento Magica (MIC 165) for 3rd and 4th level spells; those allow you to regain a spent spell slot, effectively giving you another spell slot of each level per day. Remember that, unlike the vanilla Paladin, the Project Heretica Paladin casts spells spontaneously by default (unless you apply the ACF that allows you to replace Charisma with Wisdom, which explicitly switches spellcasting to prepared). The other method is a Rod of Absorption (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rods.htm#absorption); while expensive, it allows you to cast up to 50 levels worth of spells, which amounts to essentially 50 1st level spells, 25 2nd level spells, 16 3rd level spells (and one 2nd level spell/two 1st level spells) or 12 4th level spells (and one 2nd level spell/two 1st level spells), or a combination of each, though it can be quite expensive (50k per rod). Finally, a Circlet of Mages (MIC 86) allows you to retain some spells, mostly up to 3 1st level spells, one 2nd level spell and one 1st level spell, or one 3rd level spell, by spending charges (3 charges/day, rechargeable). All three work to save some of your spellcasting potential.

As for the other recommendations: Ring of Wizardry only works for arcane prepared spellcasters, which means only Wizards or Wu Jen, so not even vanilla Paladins would be capable of benefitting from it, let alone Project Heretica Paladins. Mystic Fire Knight substitution levels are technically incompatible; while you could benefit from the first level as it replaces Turn Undead, you cannot apply for one of the levels because the class lacks Remove Disease as a class feature. Sword of the Arcane Order is also on the iffy spot, because it depends mostly on spell preparation, which the class lacks. On the other hand, Battle Blessing is kosher (you can tell your DM, if he thinks it doesn't matter, that the person who made the retool agrees with it, BTW), but it mostly lets you cast spells as a swift action, not grant you more spells per day (on the other hand, it is PERFECT for what you intend to do, which is cast spells and still act).

Remember that wands are also good. Don't spend a spell slot on Cure Light Wounds if you can have a wand, for example.

Thank you very much for this very detailed answer. It will help me immensely in my coming adventure. I appreciate you taking your time to help me out.

Also, thanks for everyone else that has pitched in. All of these items seem on-point for what I was looking for =)

EDIT: Battle Blessing is awesome and I had already planned on using it. Like you said, it is a perfect fit for my character!

Thurbane
2015-10-07, 03:52 PM
Memento Magica specifically says "This item has no effect for spellcasters who prepare their spells." - so unless your Paladin is somehow casting spontaneously, it won't work.

That's why I recommended the Pearl of Power.

Oops, missed the first post, and the modified Paladin you are using.