PDA

View Full Version : Curmudgeon’s domain list down?

Alea
2015-10-01, 10:15 AM
I’ve been a big fan of Curmudgeon’s excellent and thorough domain list (http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/ASMoNM/domains.html), but now I get an error that it is temporarily down.

Is this truly temporary? Can anyone (Curmudgeon) comment on what’s up here? Are there any mirrors of it?

Chronos
2015-10-01, 10:39 AM
Huh, that was Curmudgeon's? I never realized.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-10-01, 10:41 AM
I am on my phone so I have not but have you tried the Way back Machine?

Solaris
2015-10-01, 10:49 AM
I am on my phone so I have not but have you tried the Way back Machine?

Gotcha covered. That page (https://web.archive.org/web/20150910043951/http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/ASMoNM/domains.html) is on the Wayback machine.

Psyren
2015-10-01, 12:09 PM

Yeah, he mentioned it here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?193011-A-complete-list-of-domains&p=12901985&viewfull=1#post12901985)

manyslayer
2015-10-01, 12:26 PM
I notice a few things missing:
Orcus from the Darkness domain (Libris Mortis)
Orcus from the Death domain (Libris Mortis)
Afflux & Orcus from the Evil domain (Libris Mortis)
Afflux from the Knowledge domain (Libris Mortis)
Evening Glory's domains - Charm, Magic, Protection (Libris Mortis)
The planar domains (Spell Compendium)

Alea
2015-10-01, 12:47 PM
The planar domains are kept in a separate list; I don’t have a link handy but he’s got them on another page.

danzibr
2015-10-01, 12:52 PM
Yeah, he mentioned it here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?193011-A-complete-list-of-domains&p=12901985&viewfull=1#post12901985)

The planar domains are kept in a separate list; I don’t have a link handy but he’s got them on another page.
Psyren was the ultimate ninja on that one.

GilesTheCleric
2015-10-01, 02:49 PM
I will soon have a downloadable (and sortable!) copy of all the deities and domains. Initial research for my domain handbook is nearly complete. shakes fist at Dragon Magazines

rockdeworld
2015-10-02, 12:42 AM
Curmudgeon made that? Well done Curmudgeon. I've made use of that from time to time, and found it very helpful and reliable. Thanks a lot for your effort in putting it together!

Curmudgeon
2015-10-02, 06:41 PM
... and we're back!

Not only has this web content been unavailable, I've also been without my primary e-mail since the middle of last week. :smallfurious:

I bought a new house in the Spring. Comcast claims that they make moving easy. Don't you believe it.

I'd had a service package that was grandfathered at my old house. With new service at a new address that package was no longer available, and I'd have to pay more to get the same content. Meanwhile, they offer new customers lower rates for the first 6 months, plus special new-customer-only packages not available to people who've been shoveling money at them for 15 years. So, we decided that we'd get Comcast in my housemate's name. (I'll skip the discussion about the latency issues with the new house's InterNet service under Comcast, requiring multiple service calls.) Comcast said they'd transfer my e-mail and web stuff under my housemate's account within 48 hours. This entailed a drawing room comedy of authorization, with Comcast creating a conference call with me and my housemate (she on her cell phone) while we were in the same room; talking to us on the same phone line was deemed a security risk. Anway, we got through that and I continued to receive e-mail, have my web content, & c. as normal. Last week that all just stopped. It seemed that Comcast had lied, and they'd never transferred anything. My access was that of an orphan, and apparently they did some Fall housecleaning and suspended my orphan ID. So back to the authorization process, complicated by a new phone number (which obviously was a sign of Evil intent rather than wanting to join a family plan for a lower rate). Again they claimed the transfer would take place within 48 hours; again they lied. I called after 72 hours, and they said they had to refer the issue to some different technicians. 48 hours after that they called to say they needed to get authorization for the transfer. :smallconfused: That was an hour ago. After that call, my access was back from limbo within a minute.
You may need to refresh your browser to get the content to show up.

2015-10-02, 07:02 PM
Comcast claims <insertclaim>. Don't you believe it.

One of the constant rules of the universe right there.

Curmudgeon
2015-10-02, 07:19 PM
One of the constant rules of the universe right there.
Isn't the concept of a "regulated" monopoly just a wonderment of hopeful possibility? :smallyuk:

2015-10-02, 08:07 PM
Isn't the concept of a "regulated" monopoly just a wonderment of hopeful possibility? :smallyuk:

By pure coincidence, I spent my morning hovering over the shoulder of some guys from Time Warner; apparently, some neighbors got some stuff installed a week back, and the neighborhood ingress got too high to maintain. So everybody's internet got shut down. On the plus side, I've now got a new modem with 5G, and got to appreciate the rising sun for once. Hooray for technology that can't be used with the affordable stuff I bought two years ago! :smallsigh:

Solaris
2015-10-02, 08:56 PM
By pure coincidence, I spent my morning hovering over the shoulder of some guys from Time Warner; apparently, some neighbors got some stuff installed a week back, and the neighborhood ingress got too high to maintain. So everybody's internet got shut down. On the plus side, I've now got a new modem with 5G, and got to appreciate the rising sun for once. Hooray for technology that can't be used with the affordable stuff I bought two years ago! :smallsigh:

Not too long ago, I had the delight of being out internet service for two weeks.
The reason? Time Warner technicians were doing maintenance in the area. You bet they still charged me for the time as if I'd been able to make use of the service, though. They said something to the effect of it not being their fault I couldn't.
Yeah.

elonin
2015-10-02, 09:54 PM
Ouch, sorry to hear about these woes. Right now my internet is through comcast and thankfully the worst thing i can say other than rates that make brigands blush is the throttling of my internet. Though I am living in an apartment and have no other isp to choose from.

My worst experience happened with verizon who when confronted with (and during the call accepted) the fact that their sales people had directly lied to me; didn't care at all. As a matter of fact when I pointed out that during the initial conversation to establish the terms of service which were supposedly recorded; the supervisor outright said that she didn't care.

Alea
2015-10-03, 09:14 AM
Ouch, indeed. There’s a reason that Comcast is consistently rated as having the very worst customer satisfaction in the US, behind things like GM (the year it was revealed that they’d avoided recalling vehicles whose deficiencies led to several deaths) and the IRS. It takes some serious awfulness to be that bad but they are – and they’ll never change because for most Americans, they’re the only game in town (and their “competitors” when available are only slightly better), and they’re providing a service that is a necessity in modern life.

2015-10-03, 09:44 AM
I seem to recall some dude recording his customer service call to Comcast, and ending up with a 7 hour video of him being on hold; it ended with "I'm sorry, but Comcast is closed right now. Feel free to call back tomorrow", or something like that.

It occurs to me that we might have drifted rather far off-topic. Maybe we should move the Comcast-hate to another thread?

Palanan
2015-10-03, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by Chronos

Yup, same here. I love that list, so my hat's off to Curmudgeon for compiling and maintaining it, especially against the slings and arrows of outrageous ISPs.

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
...talking to us on the same phone line was deemed a security risk.

And of everything you've described, this stands out for sheer forehead-slapping boneheadedness.

Really, we need a forehead-slapping icon. So many applications....

Curmudgeon
2015-10-03, 02:17 PM
I notice a few things missing:
Orcus from the Darkness domain (Libris Mortis)
Orcus from the Death domain (Libris Mortis)
Afflux & Orcus from the Evil domain (Libris Mortis)
Afflux from the Knowledge domain (Libris Mortis)
Evening Glory's domains - Charm, Magic, Protection (Libris Mortis)
I added all of those. The list is complete for domains AFAIK, but nowhere near complete for deities. I'd obviously missed that table in Libris Mortis. These lists are a character generation resource for my games, and I generally only add deities when a player wants something novel (specific combinations of domains and/or favored weapon).

The planar domains (Spell Compendium)
Separate list here (http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/ASMoNM/PlanarDomains.html).

Troacctid
2015-10-09, 09:58 PM
I added all of those. The list is complete for domains AFAIK, but nowhere near complete for deities. I'd obviously missed that table in Libris Mortis. These lists are a character generation resource for my games, and I generally only add deities when a player wants something novel (specific combinations of domains and/or favored weapon).
Incarnum Domain (MoI 96) is missing from the domain list. For deities, the Olympian and Asgardian pantheons from Deities and Demigods (pages 100 and 164 respectively) seem to be notable omissions.

I've found the deity search to be pretty damn handy for building clerics, so thumbs up from me.

Curmudgeon
2015-10-10, 02:25 AM
ftp> open upload.comcast.net
Connected to upload.comcast.net.
521 - We are currently experienced difficulties with our FTP systems.
521 -
521 - We apologize for any inconvienience this may cause.
Connection closed by remote host.
I've added Incarnum domain, but apparently I can't share that update because Comcast needs to maintain consistency in its level of aggravation. :smallamused:

nedz
2015-10-31, 07:34 PM
More aggro — I just keep getting "The connection was reset".

It's possibly just a transient problem, but still annoying.

Curmudgeon
2015-11-01, 12:37 AM
More aggro — I just keep getting "The connection was reset".

It's possibly just a transient problem, but still annoying.
No, it's not a transient problem. In their never-ending quest for customer service :smallyuk:, Comcast has pulled the plug on all personal web pages.

I've rehosted the list of Cleric domains here (http://ftm3.altervista.org/ASMoNM/domains.html). Planar domains are here (http://ftm3.altervista.org/ASMoNM/PlanarDomains.html).

2015-11-01, 03:18 AM
No, it's not a transient problem. In their never-ending quest for customer service :smallyuk:, Comcast has pulled the plug on all personal web pages.

If they ever become a complete monopoly, I'm hoping we at least get some humor value out of it. Something like rewriting/reformating their user agreement so that each page forms the text-art image of a raised middle finger.