PDA

View Full Version : How strong would you rate Loves Lament?

Masakan
2015-10-01, 12:53 PM
Simple Question.

Edit:Ok ok ok The spell im refering to is from the spell compendium. It forces everyone within a 60 foot cone to roll a will save or take 1d6 wisdom damage and become nauseated for 1d4 rounds. and it is a bard exclusive spell. What the hell is this Book of vile darkness bull?

Fouredged Sword
2015-10-01, 01:02 PM
If I remember right that's the spell from "the book that shall not be named" that hurts the lover of your target without offering them a save.

It's really powerful and at the same time almost useless in any real game.

Greenish
2015-10-01, 01:03 PM
The poem is kinda trite. The song is okay if you're into that sort of music, I guess.

Necroticplague
2015-10-01, 01:06 PM
Depends on what else you have access to. In a normal situation, it's pretty useless (since you can't control the target). However, if you have access to Mindrape or similar magic, it becomes the singularly best way to kill anyone you want.

Masakan
2015-10-01, 01:13 PM
Depends on what else you have access to. In a normal situation, it's pretty useless (since you can't control the target). However, if you have access to Mindrape or similar magic, it becomes the singularly best way to kill anyone you want.

Really? I would think the ability to leave anyone in a 60 foot cone nauseated for up to 4 rounds would be particularly useful or are we thinking of the same thing?

Grod_The_Giant
2015-10-01, 01:14 PM
It's a weird spell. It's simultaneously almost impossible to defend against and almost completely gm-dependant.

Greenish
2015-10-01, 01:21 PM
Really?This is what happens when you neither explain yourself nor source the abilities you refer to.

Necroticplague
2015-10-01, 01:22 PM
Really? I would think the ability to leave anyone in a 60 foot cone nauseated for up to 4 rounds would be particularly useful or are we thinking of the same thing?

Huh? I thought you were referring to the infamous spell from the Book of Vile Darkness that hurts a loved one of the target, no save, regardless of distance. We're not remotely thinking of the same thing.

EDIT: Wait, that's love's pain, not love's lament.

On the topic: Eh. Effects aren't half bad, but it's not discriminating between friends and enemies, is of a type of spell where immunity is very easy to get (mind-effecting), allows for both a save and SR, and is bard-only. Mediocre.

Masakan
2015-10-01, 01:24 PM
Huh? I thought you were referring to the infamous spell from the Book of Vile Darkness that hurts a loved one of the target, no save, regardless of distance. We're not remotely thinking of the same thing.
Not in the least, edited above.

Necroticplague
2015-10-01, 01:28 PM
Not in the least, edited above.

I realized that with a quick google and had an edit of my own in the previous.

Masakan
2015-10-01, 01:38 PM
I realized that with a quick google and had an edit of my own in the previous.
Aww...I was hoping it would be at least a little better than average, but I suppose that affecting both friends and enemies alike could be an issue

Telonius
2015-10-01, 01:59 PM
It's really great for making fun of certain musical genres you don't like. Playing music so bad it induces narcolepsy and nausea seems like a very Bard thing to do.

It does have the disadvantage of being SR: Yes, requiring a Will Save, and being a mind-affecting enchantment.

Masakan
2015-10-01, 02:00 PM
It's really great for making fun of certain musical genres you don't like. Playing music so bad it induces narcolepsy and nausea seems like a very Bard thing to do.

It does have the disadvantage of being SR: Yes, requiring a Will Save, and being a mind-affecting enchantment.

Or a song so sad and depressing that it brings your enemies to the brink of despair.

Crake
2015-10-01, 11:24 PM
Or a song so sad and depressing that it brings your enemies to the brink of despair.

except it's nauseated not frightened/panicked. So it's so bad that they're sickened from the experience.