PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Spell: Fly -- movement before spell count?

Aurthur
2015-10-01, 04:32 PM
Howdy, folks.

Quick rules check, surprised I couldn't find it somewhere. The spell Fly doesn't say anything about taking the movement action (though it's implied on the concentration/duration that your movement now has the capability of flying) during the spell-casting period. So, assuming someone has a move speed of 40...can they move 40', then cast fly, then fly 60' on the turn they cast fly?

Personally, while I couldn't find a reason to rule against that for the turn it was cast, the spirit of the spell in my mind was that you simply got an additional option of movement. What's the general thought on the options when you cast fly (specifically on the turn you cast it)?

Thanks.

JoeJ
2015-10-01, 05:00 PM
The rules for combining different kinds of movement on your turn are on p. 190 of the PHB. Every time you switch movement types you subtract the distance you've already moved. So in the scenario you described, you could walk 40', cast Fly, and then fly another 20'.

Shaofoo
2015-10-01, 05:07 PM
Basically you can never more farther than your highest speed and if you move farther than an option would allow then you aren't allowed to use that option anymore.

To use your example if you were to fly 50 feet you are unable to walk anymore because your land speed is 40, if you wish to move the full 60 feet it'll have to be flight all the way.

Aurthur
2015-10-01, 05:33 PM
Thanks, perfect. Makes sense. Appreciate the help.

Malifice
2015-10-02, 02:07 AM
Basically you can never more farther than your highest speed and if you move farther than an option would allow then you aren't allowed to use that option anymore.

To use your example if you were to fly 50 feet you are unable to walk anymore because your land speed is 40, if you wish to move the full 60 feet it'll have to be flight all the way.

You can walk the first 40' then fly the next 20'.

Shaofoo
2015-10-02, 07:30 AM
You can walk the first 40' then fly the next 20'.

I could've worded it better

My point was that if you were to fly 50 feet then you can't walk anymore because you are beyond the 40 feet and you must fly to reach the full 60.

You can also fly 20 and walk 20 but then must stop walking because you have reached the 40 and must fly 20 to reach 60.