PDA

View Full Version : Natural Explorer Questions

Phawksin
2015-10-01, 05:18 PM
I have a few questions about the Ranger class feature. For clarity I have given a shorthand with theoretical RAI below:

PHB page 182-183

Party members contribute their Stealth (if moving at half speed) and Perception (-5 at full speed) while traveling. If you do NOT use your perception to notice danger you can participate in an "Other Activity":

Navigate: prevent the group from getting lost with Survival checks. DC's DMG 112
Draw a Map: draw a map to track progress and help get the group back on track if they get lost. No check needed.
Track: follow the tracks of another creature with Survival checks. DC's DMG 244
Forage: look for food and water with Survival checks. DCs DMG 111

PHB 91

While in your favored terrain:
Difficult Terrain doesn't slow groups travel
Can't become lost (expect by magical means)
Even when performing an Other Activity can use perception
Can use stealth at a normal pace when alone
Use Other Activity: Forage to gain 2x food and water (DMG 111 has info on amount of food normally gained)
Use Other Activity: Tracking to learn exact number, size and how long they passed the area.

I have been ruling that Difficult Terrain for exploration functions the same as Difficult Terrain in combat but I'm not sure if that how its supposed to work (written or intended). By treating them the same it really undermines a lot of very specific spell effects (specifically the Elemental Evil spells), but its also the only part of the feature that comes up in play as I'm not currently using the exploration rules.

Why does this class feature rely so heavily on the DMG? I get it is the most exploration focused feature in the game, but it really is a standout when it comes to needing a supplement to function at all. Also, why is the exploration information in the DMG so far spread out? Why isn't it all in one place if its expected to be used in an average game with an average ranger?

I have a PC who (for thematic reasons) just multiclassed into Ranger, and we all know Ranger 1 is like coal for Christmas. So I really want to let this feature shine in our current quest but I'm struggling to figure out how. If I throw them into a normal dungeon their is no reason for anyone to attempt the Navigation Activity because they can't get lost (unless I make it magical); and unless I make it magical there isn't any reason to make a map because they can't get lost. If I need them to be sneaky she won't gain any benefit unless she leaves the party to scout alone, and that's something we have been actively avoiding in this story. I like the idea of making the tracks they are following disappear (likely through magic if there has to be magic involved anyway) to make it more important, but then Foraging is no contest against Tracking unless I leave them in the dungeon long enough to actually start taking exhaustion from running out of food; but at that point getting out and Foraging becomes far more important than Tracking baddies further in.

tl;dr: what can I do to make an exploration focused dungeon dive interesting for a party with a Ranger?

Malifice
2015-10-02, 02:11 AM
tl;dr: what can I do to make an exploration focused dungeon dive interesting for a party with a Ranger?

Make him succeeed or gain advantage on every 'exploration' thing he does in his favored terrain.

Malifice
2015-10-02, 03:02 AM

Make him succeeed or gain advantage on every 'exploration' thing he does in his favored terrain.

Phawksin
2015-10-02, 04:46 PM
But auto success isn't interesting (though it is, arguably, pretty close to the apparent design intent). I want to make exploration MORE meaningful to the Ranger, not less so.