PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Cannibalism

FocusWolf413
2015-10-01, 06:54 PM
How do you react when a character is a cannibal? If you're a DM, do you allow it? If you're a fellow character, do you stop it? If you've played a cannibal, how did it work out for you? I want to know.

Keltest
2015-10-01, 06:56 PM
I'd go "Wow, um... Ok..." and make sure they understood that if they sincerely wanted to do this, there would be major repercussions in character if anyone finds out, and that I wouldn't protect him from any negative consequences of it.

I would also ask him to kindly not go into any detail when describing what exactly he does to the corpse beyond eating it. Nobody needs to hear that.

Mystral
2015-10-01, 07:09 PM
How do you react when a character is a cannibal? If you're a DM, do you allow it? If you're a fellow character, do you stop it? If you've played a cannibal, how did it work out for you? I want to know.

Is it still cannibalism if your character is a Tiefling? After all, that's not even the same creature type as most other races.

If yes, I do in fact play a cannibalistic character. Want to hear more?

FocusWolf413
2015-10-01, 07:18 PM
Is it still cannibalism if your character is a Tiefling? After all, that's not even the same creature type as most other races.

If yes, I do in fact play a cannibalistic character. Want to hear more?

It's technically only cannibalism if you eat creatures of the same race, but I absolutely want to hear more!

LudicSavant
2015-10-01, 07:22 PM
How do you react when a character is a cannibal?

Needs context. For instance, iZombie (https://www.google.com/search?site=&source=hp&q=izombie&oq=izombie&gs_l=hp.3..0i131l2j0l8.581.1299.0.1424.8.8.0.0.0.0 .162.587.0j4.4.0....0...1c.1.64.hp..5.3.444.0.B43l yIQKhNs) is a rather different context from Silence of the Lambs (https://www.google.com/search?q=Silence+of+the+lambs&oq=Silence+of+the+lambs&gs_l=serp.3..0l10.23931.28569.0.28664.40.18.4.9.10 .0.274.2034.0j9j3.12.0....0...1c.1.64.serp..17.23. 1801.0.q9-La-iJVpM).

Heck, there are entire RPGs exclusively about playing vampires and the like.

torrasque666
2015-10-01, 07:23 PM
We had a guy who tried to do this in our campaign recently (for reference, we're like level 1, level 2). Made our DM re-instate the "No Evils" rule. Kept trying to eat the Kobolds we had captured. Like, saying it right in front of them.

Later he was interrogating a wizard who fireballed him in the face. Knocked him to 0, but stable. I whispered to our DM (it was an online game) that he should still be within range for another one as the other player interrogating the wizard dragged him away. Needless to say, we don't have a cannibal anymore.

Mystral
2015-10-01, 07:27 PM
Well, first of all, it's a game of pathfinder, and the evil campaign "Way of the Wicked".

The character is a NE Tiefling Witch with the Gravewalker Archetype. One of her most defining abilities (and the one that is the reason she is a cannibal) is the ability soulsight. Basically, she has a permanent deathwatch ability, witch is fluffed as the character seeing the souls of all living beings, and anything devoid of a soul as just a mound of flesh. So, she sees nothing wrong with eating them. Even more so since she is Daemon-Blooded, and consuming the living is sort of instinctual to her. She doesn't really place any ritualistic value on it or think about it, she just does it, much to the consternation even of her other evil team mates. She does try to limit this behaviour, not because she views it as wrong, but because she doesn't want to disturb her "friends".

Also, at higher levels, she shall take the hex "cook people" and turn friends and foes into decious cookies!

Bronk
2015-10-01, 07:29 PM

That's a fast track to attracting/being an NPC wendigo!

Blackhawk748
2015-10-01, 07:31 PM
I played a Ghoul Barbarian once. Does that count?

As a DM im ok with it, i just let them know that they may get burned at the stake if people find out, also not to go into detail. I mean telling me you cook it before hand is fine, i just dont want to know what parts.

FocusWolf413
2015-10-01, 07:54 PM
Well, first of all, it's a game of pathfinder, and the evil campaign "Way of the Wicked".

The character is a NE Tiefling Witch with the Gravewalker Archetype. One of her most defining abilities (and the one that is the reason she is a cannibal) is the ability soulsight. Basically, she has a permanent deathwatch ability, witch is fluffed as the character seeing the souls of all living beings, and anything devoid of a soul as just a mound of flesh. So, she sees nothing wrong with eating them. Even more so since she is Daemon-Blooded, and consuming the living is sort of instinctual to her. She doesn't really place any ritualistic value on it or think about it, she just does it, much to the consternation even of her other evil team mates. She does try to limit this behaviour, not because she views it as wrong, but because she doesn't want to disturb her "friends".

Also, at higher levels, she shall take the hex "cook people" and turn friends and foes into decious cookies!

I've always wanted to play Way of the Wicked. It sounds like a super cool module.
That character sounds super cool, btw.

That's a fast track to attracting/being an NPC wendigo!

I already have a bite attack, scent, spiderclimb, darkvision, light sensitivity, and +10 movement speed. Honestly, I'm not sure I'm not a wendigo.

We had a guy who tried to do this in our campaign recently (for reference, we're like level 1, level 2). Made our DM re-instate the "No Evils" rule. Kept trying to eat the Kobolds we had captured. Like, saying it right in front of them.

Later he was interrogating a wizard who fireballed him in the face. Knocked him to 0, but stable. I whispered to our DM (it was an online game) that he should still be within range for another one as the other player interrogating the wizard dragged him away. Needless to say, we don't have a cannibal anymore.

That kind of sounds like a player issue, not a character issue. Telling everyone you're going to eat the prisoners is always a bad move.
Also, why did the DM ban evil characters?

Needs context. For instance, iZombie (https://www.google.com/search?site=&source=hp&q=izombie&oq=izombie&gs_l=hp.3..0i131l2j0l8.581.1299.0.1424.8.8.0.0.0.0 .162.587.0j4.4.0....0...1c.1.64.hp..5.3.444.0.B43l yIQKhNs) is a rather different context from Silence of the Lambs (https://www.google.com/search?q=Silence+of+the+lambs&oq=Silence+of+the+lambs&gs_l=serp.3..0l10.23931.28569.0.28664.40.18.4.9.10 .0.274.2034.0j9j3.12.0....0...1c.1.64.serp..17.23. 1801.0.q9-La-iJVpM).

My character is a self hating racist wood elf ranger who wears a shark. He'd probably just nibble on the severed ears of elves. I hope that's enough context.

I played a Ghoul Barbarian once. Does that count?

As a DM im ok with it, i just let them know that they may get burned at the stake if people find out, also not to go into detail. I mean telling me you cook it before hand is fine, i just dont want to know what parts.

I'm changing the definition of cannibalism in this context to other sentient creatures, so yes, that counts. It also sounds super fun.

I'd expect nothing less that harsh repercussions from the public if they found out.

Draconium
2015-10-01, 08:01 PM
I already have a bite attack, scent, spiderclimb, darkvision, light sensitivity, and +10 movement speed. Honestly, I'm not sure I'm not a wendigo.

May I ask how you got all that? I'm totally not asking because I want to try and do this myself, I'm just curious... :smalltongue:

Mystral
2015-10-01, 08:02 PM
What's to remember is that "My character eats people" wears thin as a character concept real quick.

torrasque666
2015-10-01, 08:06 PM
That kind of sounds like a player issue, not a character issue. Telling everyone you're going to eat the prisoners is always a bad move.
Also, why did the DM ban evil characters?
Because every time someone has played Evil at our table, its always ended up being either Stupid Evil or "I EAT PUPPIES!" Evil. If you can prove that you can actually roleplay a character well, he occasionally lifts that ban, and if he does, its for Lawful Evil only.

Draconium
2015-10-01, 08:09 PM
Because every time someone has played Evil at our table, its always ended up being either Stupid Evil or "I EAT PUPPIES!" Evil.

Those sound like the exact same thing to me. Of course, the second does sound like there's a bit of Chaotic Stupid thrown in as well.

Never play Stupid Evil. Or Chaotic Stupid. You can always do better than that for a character, regardless of whether they're a cannibal or not.

Blackhawk748
2015-10-01, 08:15 PM
I'm changing the definition of cannibalism in this context to other sentient creatures, so yes, that counts. It also sounds super fun.

I'd expect nothing less that harsh repercussions from the public if they found out.

Oh it was, he didnt figure out he was dead for like 4 sessions, he just thought he had survived by dumb luck. Also he became a ghoul because he was cursed by a god. (Now, i will never recommend anyone play a Ghoul unless your DM lets you take Unholy Toughness as a feat, otherwise your asking for a bad time.) Anyway he only actually ate like 4 people throughout the whole game, and those people had it coming.

Those sound like the exact same thing to me. Of course, the second does sound like there's a bit of Chaotic Stupid thrown in as well.

Never play Stupid Evil. Or Chaotic Stupid. You can always do better than that for a character, regardless of whether they're a cannibal or not.

Yes, yes you can

FocusWolf413
2015-10-01, 08:20 PM
May I ask how you got all that? I'm totally not asking because I want to try and do this myself, I'm just curious... :smalltongue:

My DM is allowing us to take 3 gestalt levels. I posted about that in an earlier thread. I took two levels of warlock and one level of savage (one of Grod's homebrew classes).

What's to remember is that "My character eats people" wears thin as a character concept real quick.

That's not the whole character concept. It's in addition to wearing a shark, being a self hating racist, wanting to seriously disrupt elven society, being an assassin/mercenary, and wanting to slow or stop the expansion of the city he lives in/around.

Because every time someone has played Evil at our table, its always ended up being either Stupid Evil or "I EAT PUPPIES!" Evil. If you can prove that you can actually roleplay a character well, he occasionally lifts that ban, and if he does, its for Lawful Evil only.

My condolences. That sucks.

torrasque666
2015-10-01, 08:25 PM
My condolences. That sucks. Eh. He's lifted the ban for me because I've proven that I can play LE reasonably well, and in the past he has lifted it for a few others. I personally have realized I'm better at playing frikken Exalted Good than Lawful Evil. Dunno why.

Psyren
2015-10-01, 08:26 PM
Barbarians are big on this sort of thing:

Raging Cannibal (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/archetypes/paizo---barbarian-archetypes/raging-cannibal-barbarian-archetype)
Flesheater (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/archetypes/paizo---barbarian-archetypes/flesheater-barbarian-archetype)

Geddy2112
2015-10-01, 08:39 PM
I have seen cannibalism a few times at my table. Not all cannibalism is created equal. We have seen the typical "I kill things and eat them" with a general indifference, and even the whole "the most dangerous game" type of killer who hunted and savored the thrill of exotic flesh eating.

But we have also had a player who was lawful good and was a cannibal. His village and people honored their dead in an elaborate funeral ritual, part of which involved eating a small portion of the fallen. It would just be flesh for a random villager, but close friends or family would get a piece of the heart, lung, etc. It was a pretty important thing to his character, and if he ever saw the former "evil" cannibalism he would be more appalled more than most. We even had a PC die, and he asked the party if he could perform rites(he was also a cleric) and we agreed. We all ate a small piece of his flesh. It was very moving.

Cannibalism in and of itself can have multiple purposes and responses. It can be good, lawful, chaotic, evil, or a mix. There is certainly a difference between "the most dangerous game", the Donner Party, and a very sacred ritual that honors the dead and involves eating a part of them.

SwordChucks
2015-10-01, 08:48 PM
In a Spelljammer 3.P campaign I'm running, my girlfriend's gnoll character is not only a cannibal but a really good chef. He (the gnoll) has gone out of his way to purchase spices and a refrigerator and hotplate for the ship.

The other characters are an orc from a savage tribe, a wolfwoman, and a human from a tribe that eats the hearts of their enemies. None of them have complained about the cannibalism and seem happy that they get to save money on food.

Most places are already leery of a ship full of monster races so the fact that they're cannibals wouldn't be any more damning.

I didn't want or expect cannibal PCs but I did say that any race, class, and alignment would be availible. So rather than telling them no, I rolled with it and we've had a great time.

Kantolin
2015-10-01, 08:50 PM
Cannibalism is 'killing people'.

If you're in a scenario where killing people is or was okay, then it's all about cultural differences.

I'm currently playing a half-orc who, if he particularly respects a slain opponent, will enlarge himself and swallow their body whole. He'll also do that to any orc the group fights.

He finds it pretty bizarre to 'feed honorable dead to worms', but has long since accepted that human culture differs from the culture in which he was raised, and thus only objects when it's someone he rather cares about who isn't human (or elf, or recently halfling)

So eh. I've also played characters that would probably be nauseated if you suggested that to them.

FocusWolf413
2015-10-01, 10:50 PM
Eh. He's lifted the ban for me because I've proven that I can play LE reasonably well, and in the past he has lifted it for a few others. I personally have realized I'm better at playing frikken Exalted Good than Lawful Evil. Dunno why.

I'm personally not a fan of Good characters. I can play good characters quite well, but I find Good characters to be too limiting.

Jeff the Green
2015-10-02, 12:29 AM
I kinda want to play a cannibal suffering the effects of a prion disease now.

torrasque666
2015-10-02, 12:38 AM
I'm personally not a fan of Good characters. I can play good characters quite well, but I find Good characters to be too limiting.
That.... actually might be why I'm decent at playing Good. I already have to make a conscious effort to keep myself in line with society's expectations. Extending that to my characters isn't too much of a stretch.

Kelb_Panthera
2015-10-02, 02:25 AM
I let my players play whatever they like as long as they don't get disruptive, no exceptions. Cannabalism? Sure but if you're too "in people's faces" about it in civilized places you might find yourself in unpleasant circumstances. I'm very much an "actions have consequences" kind of DM.

As a player, depends on the character. My range of comfort for different character types is pretty broad and my eclectic taste in classes doesn't hurt either. Some of my more curios characters might even try a nibble just to see what it's like. I've even played a cannibal before.

MyrPsychologist
2015-10-02, 04:06 AM
Well. I don't think there is anything inherently evil about eating other people. Presuming you are doing this in a tasteful (hehe) way and not just murdering random people to sate your hungers. It's certainly a chaotic act because it completely goes against civility and most concepts of law.

As a player, If I saw my compatriot eating people I would probably react according to my own personal views. Probably saying how it's an unnecessary risk, probably not healthy, and really not sanitary. If they are going against the alignment of the party I would probably attempt to bring them in line and get them away from that habit. If it's more in line with the rest of the party I probably wouldn't care and just do my best to cover their back and prevent their nasty secret from being discovered.

As a DM, it would depend on the portrayal of the cannibalism. If they are murdering random people I would probably involve the normal investigations for any murder. Otherwise I would advise them to keep it behind closed doors or be prepared to move quickly. Civilized areas are not the most fond of this activity and it would likely provoke paladin investigations or even just social shunning because it's very taboo.

tadkins
2015-10-02, 04:40 AM

This was what I was about to mention. Was tempted to take this on the witch I played briefly. It's a cool and fun hex, with all the disturbing connotations it comes with. xD

ShurikVch
2015-10-02, 05:13 AM
Life Eater (https://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/pg20020911b)

Absorb Mind and Absorb Strength spells are require to eat at least a part of corpse

Also, Jerren Flesheater (https://www.google.ru/#newwindow=1&q=Jerren+Flesheater)

tadkins
2015-10-02, 05:32 AM
Also, Jerren Flesheater (https://www.google.ru/#newwindow=1&q=Jerren+Flesheater)

That is one really icky PrC.

It is also likely what happens when a halfling is pushed too far. xD

Blackhawk748
2015-10-02, 07:28 AM
That is one really icky PrC.

It is also likely what happens when a halfling is pushed too far. xD

Hilariously it was written by Monty Cooke *rim-shot*

Ninjaxenomorph
2015-10-02, 08:40 AM
I personally would have the character start getting cravings for more meat from sentients. Insanity, followed by either Ghoul Fever or Wendigo Psychosis (speaking from Pathfinder. Yes, the CR 17 wendigo).

Vogie
2015-10-02, 09:30 AM

Also, the comic Chew.

Cannibalism is one of those concepts that is talked about outside of the context, but it's really the context surrounding it that matters most.
Consuming a portion of an enemy to gain strength, either in a spiritual sense or a physical sense. The Iroquois actually did this to honorable defeated opponents (spiritual), while poison dart frogs literally do this with venomous insects
There's Pathfinder abilities to learn spells by drinking a spellcaster's blood
The White Wolf Hunter Series has the Faithful of Shulpae, who do the same with various supernatural things

Tiri
2015-10-02, 09:39 AM
I'm currently playing a goblin cannibal. It's not a big part of his character, it's just that he happened to come for a tribe where they ate prisoners if they were short on food. Luckily, only the party (who are surprisingly okay with it, apart from the cleric) and some lizardfolk (also cannibals) that they met on their travels have found out, so no angry mobs have descended on him yet.

SkipSandwich
2015-10-02, 12:34 PM
I play a lot of lizardfolk characters, and my headcannon for them is is "Murder is bad, but if you have to kill something anyway, it'd be a waste of perfectly good meat not to eat them!". So from my play, normal lizardfolk will not go out of their way to kill sentients for food, but have no issue with eating the bodies of those they kill for other reasons, and most will be perfectly okay to not indulge in that particular behavior in mixed-company if requested.

Cirrylius
2015-10-02, 02:28 PM
Savage (one of Grod's homebrew classes).

Oh, yes. This class is almost exactly what I was looking for.

WhamBamSam
2015-10-02, 05:38 PM
I've wanted to run a Gravetouched Ghoul Contagious Paralysis build of some kind for a while, and the only way I've thought of to keep a ready supply of paralyzed flesh is to be constantly munching on a still living creature that can regenerate/fast heal the damage from your bite. This generally means cannibalizing a mutilated but still living troll (ie, a finger or length of intestines being all that you haven't burnt away and biting that every round out of combat to keep it paralyzed and hold back its regeneration) every minute of every day. So that's pretty gruesome. I mean, I could just ask for the DM to houserule a Lich's (permanent) Paralyzing Touch to qualify for Contagious Paralysis like it's probably untended to, but eh that would require a whole 2 extra LA and as I've found a way to make it work by RAW...

I also have quite a bit of affection for the Mortal Hunter PrC, which eats mortal flesh as part of its most important class feature.

I once had my Dragonwrought Kobold wizard (jokingly, he was NG, just kind of a bro (it was a wizard college game) and prone to saying unwise/slightly douchey things) suggest that there might have been gnome served at his family gatherings. The Whisper Gnome illusionist took it in stride.

Tvtyrant
2015-10-02, 05:43 PM
Cannibalism isn't evil unless you are killing/capturing enemies for its own sake IMO. A barbarian or druid who eats fallen foes, especially if they espouse ideals of honor, strength sharing and or resource utilization are neutral or even good.

Raiding a village to eat them is evil though.

Yogibear41
2015-10-02, 05:59 PM
One of the societies(and im sure more that have yet to be discoved) in the world that the game I play in is set has cannibalism as apart of its culture, although it varies from one part of the society to the next, with some groups partaking more and others less. We even had some 3rd party rules in place for gaining benefits from cannibalizing someone, such as gaining some of their memories/past experiences after eating their brain. My character was apart of said society, but didn't actively cannibalize anyone, although he had no problem with it. Although another person in the group did from time to time.