PDA

View Full Version : Village priests where there are no priests

JusticeZero
2015-10-02, 01:28 AM
This is a worldbuilding issue.. While I could fix it by fiat, I'd rather not foreclose on the option, and I'm not sure if some rules that would work exist somewhere already that I could repurpose..
First, the world is E6.
Second, there is no standard arcane or divine casters - use Akashic power, PoW, and maybe some other oddball stuff if it fits. Divine casters wouldn't mechanically fit..
Third, the closest thing to "gods" in the setting are demon lords. If you're sick, the mystical cure involves placating the demon of pestilence. They are much less all-powerful than the usual god types, and this is a setting where worshipping a hag coven would be completely legit. (A hag coven could probably put serious hurt on one of the demon lords if it wasn't on its home turf, for that matter) Yes, everyone involved is aware that that's geared substantially down from what you'd expect of massive divine power.
Trying to come up with ways for the local unholy person of a town (or monster worshipper for that matter) to be able to do their job with more than just skills and without being a seasoned adventurer in their own right. They should be able to do something worthy of the office, at cost of obligations, preferably immobile equipment/whatever, etc.

ekarney
2015-10-02, 02:42 AM
I'm assuming you're playing Pathfinder, but I would recommend porting over Binders from 3.5 they don't rely on divine or arcane power, they get their powers from making pacts with supernatural entities.
These entities are mortal who tried to ascend to godhood or similar and failed miserably, gods who've been abandoned and nobody prays to any more. You may have to invent your own healing based vestige, but you can slip vestiges into the lore pretty well in any campaign.

Crake
2015-10-02, 03:25 AM
I'm assuming you're playing Pathfinder, but I would recommend porting over Binders from 3.5 they don't rely on divine or arcane power, they get their powers from making pacts with supernatural entities.
These entities are mortal who tried to ascend to godhood or similar and failed miserably, gods who've been abandoned and nobody prays to any more. You may have to invent your own healing based vestige, but you can slip vestiges into the lore pretty well in any campaign.

I'm fairly sure one of the big 3pp for pathfinder already made a binder port, occult something.

To the OP, what exactly do you want these village priests to be able to achieve? Are levels in cleric not enough to cover what you want? Demon lords and archdevils are capable of granting divine magic to mortals after all.

I actually run a very similar game, in that the "gods" are dead and are replaced by "paragons", basically the top tiers of the angels and fiends, with a smattering of inevitables and fey for the law/chaos sides of things. It's not quite e6, though the setting did used to be, for story reasons advancing past level 6 for the typical mortal was impossible, but that limitation on the populace was lifted about 400 years ago. Sufficed to say though, in that time, magic was all but forgotten and regarded as a crime punishable by death. That sentiment has carried over in the last 400 years, but has waned to the point where it's not a punishment worthy of death, but nobody will trust you if you use it. As such, more mundane (or seemingly mundane) methods to healing the people arose. Pathfinder alchemists (which i ported to 3.5 for my game) can be customized from mad bomb lobbers into meticulous surgeons capable of some amazing feats of healing, which, combined with craft alchemy and their infusions can pass as something of a decent doctor, probably with skills rivalling that of the late 1800s/early 1900s.

That's if you're meaning healer/doctor when you say "priest". If you mean something else, I'd need to know what.

JusticeZero
2015-10-02, 08:49 AM
Able to do one thing in keeping with the thing being worshipped, not necessarily at their own discretion and not necessarily without oversight and definitely not in a widely useful way. If you serve the sickened one, you are useful for stopping people from being sick for extortion reasons and that's it. Some other entity might help crops grow. Another might be good at creating uncontrolled zombies. Basically one single non-transferable fixed magic effect per cult leader.

Crake
2015-10-02, 08:58 AM
Able to do one thing in keeping with the thing being worshipped, not necessarily at their own discretion and not necessarily without oversight and definitely not in a widely useful way. If you serve the sickened one, you are useful for stopping people from being sick for extortion reasons and that's it. Some other entity might help crops grow. Another might be good at creating uncontrolled zombies. Basically one single non-transferable fixed magic effect per cult leader.

Sounds like a job for the fiend of blasphemy. It is able to bind cultists to itself, granting it the ability to sense their location, scry on them, torture them if they misbehave, and at it's final level (it's a 6 level prc) kill them. In return it can also sponsor clerics of up to twice it's level if they so desire (so up to level 12, but in e6 that shouldn't be an issue) and grant them limited uses of their SLAs (which seems like it fits what you're looking to do, giving the cultists the ability to do things in keeping with their nature). It's in the back of fiend folio if that tickles your fancy.

Edit: Just so we're clear, this prc is for the monster, not the NPC

JeenLeen
2015-10-02, 09:08 AM
This is a worldbuilding issue.. While I could fix it by fiat, I'd rather not foreclose on the option, and I'm not sure if some rules that would work exist somewhere already that I could repurpose..
First, the world is E6.
Second, there is no standard arcane or divine casters - use Akashic power, PoW, and maybe some other oddball stuff if it fits. Divine casters wouldn't mechanically fit..
Third, the closest thing to "gods" in the setting are demon lords. If you're sick, the mystical cure involves placating the demon of pestilence. They are much less all-powerful than the usual god types, and this is a setting where worshipping a hag coven would be completely legit. (A hag coven could probably put serious hurt on one of the demon lords if it wasn't on its home turf, for that matter) Yes, everyone involved is aware that that's geared substantially down from what you'd expect of massive divine power.
Trying to come up with ways for the local unholy person of a town (or monster worshipper for that matter) to be able to do their job with more than just skills and without being a seasoned adventurer in their own right. They should be able to do something worthy of the office, at cost of obligations, preferably immobile equipment/whatever, etc.

As world-building, I would see the village priest as an NPC class (Expert? Aristocrat?) with a granted Spell-Like or Supernatural ability linked to their patron. Maybe create a feat that lets you get a special power linked to a patron, if you want a mechanical backing for it. You can either ban PCs from taking the feat or add detriments that fit with being a 'cleric' if you want to defer PCs from taking it. Or make 'priest' a template that has a few granted SLAs that require particular actions.
In some gaming groups, the players like the NPCs/monsters to be mechanically sound. If you group doesn't care about that, just giving them some SLAs and obligations could be fine and don't worry about how it works mechanically.

The Binder idea others suggest sounds decent as well. Re-fluff it to be 'binding' oneself to the patron, requiring obligations and special tasks to perform powers.
I could also see a reworking of classes like Soulborn or Totemist, making some low-level whatever-they're-called that the priests can activate and invest incarnum into that emulate their patron.

Tuvarkz
2015-10-02, 09:22 AM
First, the world is E6.

If PoW/Psionics, Ordained Defender Warders, Zealots, Mystics and Vitalists could all work as decent-ish priests.

Milo v3
2015-10-02, 09:24 AM
I think Occult Adventures had rules for Occult Rituals, alternatively you could use the Incantations they were based on, just lower the level of the effects produced.

Ruethgar
2015-10-02, 10:00 AM
It isn't directly relevant to your inquiry, but I would have a look at Spells and Spellcraft's small gods. It details how a CR 6 creature can become a God by gathering enough worshipers and what level divine casters they can support based on their number of worshipers.

You could limit this severely to, for example, a Knowledge Religion check to get a casting of Imbue with Spell Ability ported into PF up to a CL that the gods worshipers can support.