PDA

View Full Version : 11th level multiclassing advice and thoughts wizard/fighter

djreynolds
2015-10-02, 02:44 AM
The forum members have really given me great advice as I struggle to get a grip on this new playing system, which is sure to change just as I get handle on it. Mt first few characters have been pure, DM's choice.

So I ask for your advice on these situations. Only involving eldritch knight, battle master and wizard. Valor bard may just be a better choice.

5th level fighter for second attack
6th level fighter for ASI/Feat

11th level fighter for 3rd attack
12th level fighter for ASI/Feat

access to 9th level spell slot is 16th
Full access to spells for a wizard is 17th

17th wizard/ 3 eldritch knight 9th level spell access
16th wizard/ 4 eldritch knight 9th level spell slot
15th wizard/ 5 eldritch knight 8th level spell access
9th wizard/ 11 eldritch knight 6th level spell slot
8 wizard/12 eldritch knight 6th level spell slot
9th wizard/11 battle master 5th spell access
8th wizard/12 battle master 4th spell access
5th wizard/ 15 eldritch knight 5th spell access
4th wizard/ 16 eldritch knight 5th spell access
3rd wizard/ 17 eldritch knight 4th level spell access
2nd wizard/ 18th eldritch knight 4th level spell access

So what's the cut off here for multiclassing?

Malifice
2015-10-02, 03:33 AM
The forum members have really given me great advice as I struggle to get a grip on this new playing system, which is sure to change just as I get handle on it. Mt first few characters have been pure, DM's choice.

So I ask for your advice on these situations. Only involving eldritch knight, battle master and wizard. Valor bard may just be a better choice.

5th level fighter for second attack
6th level fighter for ASI/Feat

11th level fighter for 3rd attack
12th level fighter for ASI/Feat

access to 9th level spell slot is 16th
Full access to spells for a wizard is 17th

17th wizard/ 3 eldritch knight 9th level spell access
16th wizard/ 4 eldritch knight 9th level spell slot
15th wizard/ 5 eldritch knight 8th level spell access
9th wizard/ 11 eldritch knight 6th level spell slot
8 wizard/12 eldritch knight 6th level spell slot
9th wizard/11 battle master 5th spell access
8th wizard/12 battle master 4th spell access
5th wizard/ 15 eldritch knight 5th spell access
4th wizard/ 16 eldritch knight 5th spell access
3rd wizard/ 17 eldritch knight 4th level spell access
2nd wizard/ 18th eldritch knight 4th level spell access

So what's the cut off here for multiclassing?

You want more fightey or more magey?

djreynolds
2015-10-02, 04:36 AM
I'd like two attacks, always nice. I could care less for feats. I'd max out stats first. I'm torn between 5th and 6th level fighter and 11th and 12th. Need an experienced player's opinion. These breaks points seem crucial. But the extra attack is why you're there, otherwise I guess you'd say, dip cleric 1 level for knowledge or grab mountain dwarf.

But any combo would be good.

Malifice
2015-10-02, 07:59 AM
I'd like two attacks, always nice. I could care less for feats. I'd max out stats first. I'm torn between 5th and 6th level fighter and 11th and 12th. Need an experienced player's opinion. These breaks points seem crucial. But the extra attack is why you're there, otherwise I guess you'd say, dip cleric 1 level for knowledge or grab mountain dwarf.

But any combo would be good.

BM Fighter 5, Wizard 15 sounds like what you want.

djreynolds
2015-10-02, 09:17 AM
I will try this out. Start fighter and get that second attack and then wizard. Thanks

pribnow
2015-10-02, 09:22 AM
I will try this out. Start fighter and get that second attack and then wizard. Thanks
Alternatively, you may consider fighter 5 / sorcerer 15. A drawback is that you have a very limited amount of spells. However, a big plus is that quickened spell gives you the ability to make two attacks and cast a spell a good number of times per day, which is pretty awesome.

djreynolds
2015-10-02, 09:48 AM
Very nice. I like it. Intriguing. That could work with a half elf or dragon born, and just use my eldritch knight spells for defense?

Malifice
2015-10-02, 09:52 AM
Alternatively, you may consider fighter 5 / sorcerer 15. A drawback is that you have a very limited amount of spells. However, a big plus is that quickened spell gives you the ability to make two attacks and cast a spell a good number of times per day, which is pretty awesome.

For that I'd go paladin/ sorcerer.

And a 6/14 split.

Charisma to saves, extra attack, plenty of slots for smiting, 7th level spells. Bonus action self buff with quicken (haste is always nice) walk up and smite (3 times).

Been meaning to try this out. Paladin of Bahamut/ dragon sorcerer.

Would probably go paladin 6/ fighter 3/ sorcerer 11 actually (lose 7ths for action surge novas, sup dice and heavy armor and con saves). Feats suck though.

djreynolds
2015-10-02, 10:05 AM
That's good too. It's too many choices. It's all good.

Paladin 6 is always good. I do like sorcerers as well. Definitely have to mesh charisma with charisma or intelligence with intelligence.

With limited feats as it is, its all about ability scores maxed out. Which is fine, I'll have spells.

The thing is charisma carries with it spell and saves. Intelligence is just spells.

CNagy
2015-10-02, 11:09 AM
In my experience, how you decide to build a Fighter/Wizard has a lot to do with what the rest of the party looks like. More so than other builds, even, because your two parts don't necessarily compliment one another to make the roles you are effective at super-effective so much as they spread out your abilities to make you more effective in a wider range of situations.

If your party does not have enough frontline martial characters, then you want Fighter 11 or Fighter 12. Reasons to go Fighter 12: you are playing a Str-fighter and want the Great Weapon Master feat or Polearm Master feat in addition to the War Caster feat. Or you are playing Sword and Shield, and want Shield Master. You save your spells mostly for reactions (Shield and Counterspell) and self-buffs. You go Fighter 11 if you think the access to 5th level spells outweighs augmenting your at-will Fighter damage with feats. But to completely honest: if you are an 11th level Fighter, you are a Fighter who also does Magic. Don't disregard the feats, because they will increase your effectiveness quite a bit.

Whether you go Battle Master or Eldritch Knight depends on what resources you want to augment. The Eldritch Knight seems like common sense: whether you end up adding 3 or 4 caster levels, playing the Eldritch Knight bumps your effective caster level up to 12, which can mean an extra 4th, 2 extra 5th, and an extra 6th level slot versus being an 8th level Wizard with one of the other Fighter archetypes (if 9th, then you only gain an extra 5th and 6th from Eldritch Knight). The Eldritch Knight augments your long rest resources; it's the obvious choice but maybe not the best.

Battle Master is probably the king of damage. You gain potent short rest resources in the form of 5d10 superiority dice, and maneuvers that put all kinds of hurt on the enemy.

If you are only going 5th or 6th as a Fighter, then Battle Master becomes even more potent for the number of levels you give it. Thing is, though, I would only go 5/15 or 6/14 if my party already had the necessary front-line fighters and dedicated magic users. If you are the party's main source of magical rack and ruin, then I wouldn't go further than 18 Wizard/ 2 Fighter (or 2 Rogue). The 18th level Wizard class feature ranks up there as one of the best (if not the best) class features in the game. If you suspect the character will get into the top level tier, it's difficult to justify larger than a 2 level dip.

Bloodcloud
2015-10-02, 02:11 PM
Might go Tomelock 13 /EK 7 instead
Start FTR for the con save, 5 lvl warlock for 3rd lvl slot and shillelagh, then up to ftr 7 then warlock all the way

Human variant take crossbow expert, first ASI is warcaster

Enjoy using Eldritch blast in melee and for OA with a nice push rider, access to devils sight darkness. Also, access to all of the game ritual's gotta make you feel wizardy enough.

Lvl 12 gives you three attack from EB and a bonus action attack from your staff. Try getting a Staff of power!

djreynolds
2015-10-03, 12:41 AM
I have a couple of ideas in mind, and because Mr Malifice brought up paladin/ sorcerer, now I have that one as well. These are more concept, less optimized, not many feats

First was a party with a melee rogue, paladin, melee cleric and sorcerer. A lot going on up front. But a ranger/ wizard in the back could be helpful but I hate stepping on other players toes, the rogue has claimed "scout". So I said "arcane archer" type. 11 eldritch knight/9 wizard 5th level access possible and I can always go 12/8 if I'm not dead by then. He can tank, can buff, provide nice crowd control with the bow and spells and stop the flanks from caving in and the sorcerer can relax and I'll actually wear plate. My version of an Arcane Elven Paladin intelligence based. I will grab sharpshooter first, max out dex, and then the rest intelligence.

Second party, I was leaning towards 17 wizard and 3 eldritch knight, but why full plate--- I shouldn't need it--- but then again this is replacement for the guy who died saying that. But 15 wizard and 5th eldritch knight 8th level spells. We have a druid and Light cleric. But this build gives me utility instead of being a bard, just something different. Could go ranger 5. But I like starting off as a fighter first for con. An intelligence based bard let's say. Expertise will be missed, but a full spell book and we have a rogue.

Last was a melee 12/8 guy, though now I'm leaning paladin/sorcerer. I like 11th level paladin for that extra radiant damage and dragon born "looks" cool. 14 sorcerer/ 6 paladin. But I will need to do more laboratory work.