PDA

View Full Version : Magical aging

martixy
2015-10-02, 10:54 AM
You know... here's a little tucked away phrase I remembered that got me thinking:

Timeless Body (Ex)
After attaining 15th level, a druid no longer takes ability score penalties for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any penalties she may have already incurred, however, remain in place.
Can non-druids though?

Is there any effect, whatsoever, in the grand breadth of 3.5, that produces this result?

Cuz I sure ain't aware of any...

I remember earlier editions 100% had it, which is why that phrase never really stood out as weird to me in 3.5.

But now I'm building a campaign and the idea of age not being a non-issue popped up(so once we settle the above bit, feel free to offer suggestions on potential pitfalls with that too).

Deophaun
2015-10-02, 11:06 AM
I believe bestow curse can. If not in Core, then in the BoVD.

Edit: Yup:

The victim effectively ages, moving him or her to the beginning of the next age category. See Chapter 6 of the Player’s Handbook for the effects of aging.

Bronk
2015-10-02, 11:17 AM
IIRC, each use of a time dragon's breath ages those hit by a number of years equal to its age category...

Edit: Or the Phane, an epic abomination, using it's Time Leech ability.

WhamBamSam
2015-10-02, 11:42 AM
Reincarnate and becoming a Dragonborn will spit you out as an older age category if you're somehow younger than Young Adult or Adult respectively.

Not sure how these interact with Timeless Body, if at all.

ShurikVch
2015-10-02, 11:47 AM
Besides those which already mentioned, there were some spells in Dragon magazines:

#300 have 9th level Necromancy spell - Putrefaction: target aging one age category per turn; when it reached Venerable, on the next turn it will die, corpse animated as Zombie, and soul turned into Ghost - both under the caster's control. (Doesn't work on dragons and another creatures with non-standard aging)

#350 have article "Chronomancy", which have spells: Aging Touch and Temporal Jolt

Creature possessed by Suel Lich (Dragon #339) aging at x3 rate

But really, issue about "magical aging" grow from the same source as the "lost limbs" for the Ring of Regeneration - all it was much more common in the earlier editions

Thurbane
2015-10-02, 05:52 PM
I believe it is primarily a throwback reference to earlier editions, where casting spells like Wish or being the recipient of a Haste spell would add years to your age.

kalasulmar
2015-10-02, 05:55 PM
Or the ghost special attack that aged you a bucketload of years.

Bronk
2015-10-02, 06:41 PM
I believe it is primarily a throwback reference to earlier editions, where casting spells like Wish or being the recipient of a Haste spell would add years to your age.

I'm sure it made a lot less sense to keep those spells that aged you (what was it, one year for haste, 5 for wish?) once they had spellcasting dragons that actually had age categories. You'd never find dragons that weren't either really young or super old!